Newbury College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Newbury College

Anonymous

Terrible. Don't waste your money here. Straight up scammers. If you wanna attend school in Boston, spend your tuition dollars and loan $ somewhere. Maybe Boston College up the street. I spent my freshmen year at Newbury before transferring out like 90% of the class of 2019 and there is, even more, people from my that class that are going finish their last two years somewhere else. Essentially, I would describe Newbury as a stepping stone for many students. Newbury wasn't our dream school for many us but instead our last resorts. I've had classmates tell me they are coming to Newbury for a year or two to get their grades up to transfer to the school they really want to be at (ex. a kid on my floor couldn't get into Morehouse College because his HS grades were "horrible". It's just not a quality school and looks like it's on the brink of closing down in the next 10 years. My friend told me they shut two of their off-campus dormitories down, they stopped asking for housing deposits from people, in 2016 they had 860-something students and they went down 700. The food was terrible, they had one dining hall with limited options, no seasoning in the food and should be looked at by the Department of Health after one of the cafeteria workers gave me a plate of with a piece of stringy hair in it. The staff are RUDE from the dean to chairperson to even the public safety officer and if they don't like you it will show. They are very nice the first time you meet them because they want you come here. It's a dry campus, so I already was livid, because you're telling me when I turn 21 -year old I can't have liquor in my room?? Diversity and class size wise the school get an A. 57% of the students are minorities and my dorm hall Weltman was predominately black and Latino students we all hung out with each other a lot as most of the white kids were either busy with off-campus shenanigans or being a student-athlete. As far as class size, I prefer a class of 20-40 students, I'm not a lecture hall type student. Socially the school was VERY cliquey and no one tries to talk to you if you're outside their clique. Basically high school 2.0. It's a mostly commuter school and we couldn't even reap discounts down the hill or in Boston because the lack of student at our school. Boston College kids get discounts down on Chestnut Hill. There was absolutely nothing to do on any given day or weekend: no school trips or school activities because they the school doesn't really have money. There was barley any student organizations, I tried to start an open forum about racism and being black in America and I was denied. The black kids at this school (and I'm black so don't attack) were GHETTO. The amount of drama, fights and behavior had you thinking they were on a VH1 reality show. A lot of them come from nearby Boston and other parts of Mass specifically the inner-city neighborhoods. One black girl I remember was fighting this guy in the dining hall (screaming and coming near him) while the Res Life and Administration staff were sitting down eating dinner. Some the students (of all races) were just dumb but then again Newbury lets anyone come to their school. Academically wise, I'ma a Communications major and we had three full-time staff members. One I liked very much but she left when I did as well, the other was complete bitch and subtly disrespectful, the third was a technician for the tv studio and radio station and was very standoffish. The Comm dept. only had 50 students who were majoring in it..... We had no school newspaper (because of $), the Communication Club was rarely​ active, the radio station equipment was super old (people barley knew about the station which was internet radio only) and we had no money to fix it, the TV studio was off limits to new students. The RAs took their job WAY too seriously...trying to act like our parents like no I got one fucking mama and you are not her. One of them told us to mind our business but was talking shit about a best friend of mine. When 10pm hits it's quiet hours so u can't even be in the hallway you have to be in a room. The men's' basketball team sucks they lose almost every game. The dean of student punishes student over little things Way too unfairly. Weltman had communal bathroom which were nasty. We had some as NASTY bitches and niggas. The girls threw up all over the bathroom every friday because they couldn't handle their liquor, they got charged for clogging the toliet with their tampons and some girl even pooped in the shower and facilties had to clean it up. The RA said even said she "never experienced an issue like that before" We were always getting fined for damages on the floor because staff couldn't find out who did it. Like I said, don't come here. If you want to go for culinary arts maybe but beware of being in the dorms for that. People in Weltman make crazy noise until 2/3am in the morning and culinary arts students have to wake up at 6 to for their class that runs from 7am-1pm with three breaks (or you could do 2-8pm). There was also no student health center. I did appreiate them awarding student work-study because at my new school they rarley gives student work-study

Natisha

The school is really small so it's a more intimate setting which I enjoy. The professors are usually really knowledgeable and only want to help. the school is overly expensive for what we get and they raise "the cost of living" every year. I was able to afford the school up until my senior year which sucks. I owe the school nearly 10,000 in order to graduate. Due to the increase in cost of living! AND I DONT EVEN LIVE THERE. Financial aid office is absolutely no help what so ever and they barely if ever answer the phone. Most of the students are ghetto and it feels like a high school almost. If your deciding on Newbury even if the scholarship seems too good to be true, It's cause it is! Say no! Choose a different school so you don't end up like me and end up not knowing if you'll be able to walk the stage.

Sidney

My overall opinion of Newbury College is that it is a great school, and I don't regret deciding to complete my Bachelors degree in Psychology at Newbury. I love the feeling of still feeling like I'm at home, and the T to go into the city is accessible because we are located about 10-15 minutes away from the city of Boston. In terms of security we have 24/7 on campus security where people are monitored in every building because of our great camera system that is watched by our Longwood police team. I feel safe living on campus, academically I'm also able to understand what is going in the classroom because of how small the class sizes are! Professors are also willing to meet with students outside the classroom if additional extra help is needed. The campus also has a great success center where students can study and do their homework after class times.