Niagara University Top Questions

Claire

If I could speak to myself in high school, I would tell myself to visit more colleges and explore all of my options before devoting myself to one school. I would say to not let friends or locations influence my decision--the college I chose will ultimately become a home to me for years, and I need to be able to like it there. It is important to focus not only on the academics and the honors programs, but also clubs and organizations that are available to help me become a part of the community. I would remind myself to start looking early, because procrastinating will only limit me in the long run, and I want my potential to do something that I love to be infinite. Also, do not worry about being too shy to make friends or speak in class. Nearly every professor will come to know you personally, and you will find a group that you fit in with so well. And while moving away from home and living with a stranger was terrifying to you, it will not be as bad as it seems. Trust me--you'll get through it all and love every moment.

Jasmine

If I could go back and talk to my senior year self I'd say, Jasmine your future life will be so much easier and your dreams would be so much closer if you would just maintain a 3.0 or 4.0 grade point average. All you have to do is ask for help from your teachers instead of trying to do everything yourself. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Lastly, I can promise you an outstanding social life full of good friends but you have to get more involved with your school events and class. Either way I can honestly say you will grow into a strong woman with less hard ache.

Kathleen

Do it. I know you're scared, but guess what? So is every one else around you. So do it. Talk to that guy in your class. Make friends with the girl you keep seeing at lunch. Go sit down with your professors and get to know them. Join clubs; drop the ones you aren't passionate about. Get out of your room. It's ok to be scared. It's alright to be awkward. It isn't ok to let life pass you by. In the end, if you're not giving it everything you've got, who's time are you wasting?

David

I would have told myself that having a college degree is more important than you think now and you should pick the school that you want to go to the most to do what you love not just one that is close and cheap. Classes will be hard but you are smart and just need to focus on your education. Also I would have told myself that if you are not ready to be in school for a year or two it's ok just be moving forward. I would have said, don't go to school just because you feel like it's the popular thing to do or because somebody told you that it's the best thing to do, go because you want to and want to learn.

Ellynn

As a 21 year old Freshman in college, it's hard to say what I would tell my highschool self. Because of financial and medical issues in the family, I took a 3 year hiatus from education after I left. But being part of an amazing and diverse University has made me realize that it doesn't matter when you start school, as long as you keep that drive to achieve alive. If I could go back in time and tell my younger self about my future college career, I would tell her to calm down and not stress about her education. She's ambitious enough to make it as long as she stays focused through the times of distress and obstacles. I would also tell her to find motivation through her own personal goals and the support of her mother. If I were to win this scholarship, I would be eternally greatful and use it to reach those dreams both my past and present self hold dear.

Krista

Advice to myself would be as follows: Transitioning to college is just what you would have expected. Plan to make time for more studying and homework. Get involved by joining a club or going to on-campus events. Get to class early and sit closer to the front, and make a friend in every class. It will pay off later when you need help on assignments. Ask any questions you have, no matter how silly they might seem, because chances are someone in class has the same question but is too afraid to ask. Bring double the amount of highlighters you think you'll need, you go through them quickly. Head's up, you are going to miss your mom a lot more than you thought. Call her everyday and plan on going home at least twice a month to keep sane. Most importantly, try not to stress over the little things and make time for a little fun.

Savanna

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to be afraid. I would tell myself that college is a big step, but it is also an important step, which you need to be confident in taking. I would tell myself that in order to grow as a person it is important to step outside of the comfort zone you are living in. You never really know how strong you truly are until you are on your own. Everything in the end really does work out, and college is a great place to meet people with the same intrests as you. I would tell myself not to go where my high school friends were going, simply so I could grow more as an individual.

First I would develop a plan: what do you want to study or what are your short and long-term goals, where do I see myself in five to ten years. I would also convey how important it is to have a positive, do not give up attitude. What you put in to your future or anything is what your going to get out. Do not be afraid to ask for help there are many resources available to help. Second use your time wisely, take classes in high school that will work towards your goals and that will transfer. Yes high school can be fun but show up in your life take control of where you want to go which also means applying oneself, getting good grades and how important those grades are for getting accepted into college. Third it is never too early to be applying for scholarships and grants, talk to the counselors check books out of the library about scholarships and grants. Take on a job and start a savings account to put towards college, student loans take a long time to pay off and affect your credit scores.

Knowing what I know now about college life, the advice I would give myself is to take advantage. What I mean is to take advantage of all the opportunities that college has to offer, for example the trips, concerts, plays, study groups, late night coffee runs and meeting the friends that you'll have forever. Those are the things that you'll look back on and remember, and the things that you need to experience in order to gain a truely meaningful college experience in my opinion. So again, I would tell myself to take full advantage of what college life has to offer to help myself not only gain experience but to grow into a well rounded educated individual.

Making the right friends early on in freshman year is important, college relationships can last a life time. Work hard to find a compatible roommate. The roommate experience can be the most stressful part of dorm life. It is imperative that you find yourself a good fit. Enjoy your freshman year but focus on what is important, an internship and keeping a job while in school is beneficial to finding a job upon graduation. Pay close attention to the career counselors who can offer guidance and suggest current opportunities to help build your resume. Be sure to choose a major with concrete employment potential if at all possible. Often times interests can't translate directly into a career. Be selective in you class choice to set yourself up for success as far as attendance is concerned. Enjoy your time in school. These are truly wonderful years, be sure to give yourself fond memories to reflect on as an adult.

David

I've gained a deeper understanding of the world around me as well as discovered just how far I can go if I really delve into my work. The university experience opens you up to a whole new way of thinking about society and your place in it so, if you absorb everything that's offered to you, the possibilities for self-growth are endless. The more you know, the more you'll be able to draw from the knowledge bank when the time to deliver comes around and college is the best place to enhance that. I recognize that college may not be the right choice for everyone but, for me, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Christian

Although i am just starting college, i can tell that it is a valuable experience that teaches you a ton of life and occupasional skills that help you for the future. Cooking being my passion since i was a young child has let me truely apriciate going to iup culinary, and i think that everyone should fallow there dreams and going to a college for something they are passionate about. Mostly because then the value of your education seems like you are reciving more, and such you are because passion fuels your ability to learn. Thus, i think college is a valuable experience for everyone who attends for what they love.

Megan

As being a Niagara University graduate in May of 2010 I have learned that all the education classes that were required by the unversity have been preparation for the our future. As a present student teacher, I have learned to take with me different steps and procedures that my professors have taught me into the classroom to better assist that my students are getting the best education possible. Niagara University has required me to take classes such as arts, humanities, religion, etc. that related to my Education major and how I can use it in the real world.

Robyn

As a senior in High School I did not know much about college life. I have no older siblings or friends, so the whole idea of moving away and starting college was all new to me. If I were to go back to my younger self I would tell her to follow your heart, and only her heart. I arrived at my college not really knowing what I wanted to do, but I always remembered my dreams of the culinary field. After a year of choosing wrong classes I realized that I belonged in the hospitality field, the area of study my heart told me all along. I see students with majors that they cannot stand, but decided that they are too far along to change. It is never too late to do what you love, and to follow the dreams that were meant for you. I would want my younger self to start off in the field that I know now is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

To go back in time and talk to myself as a senior I would say only a few things. First idea I would mention to myself is save money! Save money to go visit schools, pick a few and ask mom and dad or even Jennifer's mom if they can take you on a trip to see a couple of schools. Also look into the price of books to know how much money to save for those. College is expensive and you need as much money as you can scrounge up. If somebody tells you that they will split everything in half with you don't believe them, count only on yourself. After choosing the school you plan to attend make sure that all your Financial Aid documents are done before the fall quater to dodge any problems you may have with you awards. Also apply to ALL of the scholarships East High has. You have a very high chance of getting the $5,000 scholorship that Ms. King will give you the day before it is due. Get as much scholorships as you can.

Dannielle

The first piece of advice I would have given myself is to apply to more Universities, I did not have many to choose from when considering where I would attend because I didn't apply to many. I also would have told myself to keep my goals in mind because having your future goals in mind helps motivate you to do better in your courses. I also would have told myself to be more confident in my abilities to succeed. The last piece of advice I would give my "senior self" would be looking for more scholarships and grants because they will really help in the long run.

Crystal

I would tell myself that although drinking can be fun, it is not the sole source of fun on a college campus. In fact, drinking too much Freshman year can have a detrimental impact on the rest of your college experience, and you can put yourself in situations that really are lousy. Another thing I would tell myself is to do research about my major's program beyond just what the advisors I speak to tell me. A lot of advisors and faculty don't tell the entire story about the program, and leave out details about the program and the classes that I feel like one should know Freshman year, such as classes that need to be taken at the end of the program, and transportation issues, and various tests and extra costs.

Chelsea

If I had the chance to go back in time and give myself advice about college when I was a high school senior I would tell myself to never hold back. When I was a high school senior I was dating a guy that I had been seeing for the past 3 years. I had decided to attend a college that was close to home because I wanted to be close to my family, friends, and especially my boy friend. My family had encouraged me to live on campus; however, I refused to do so because I did not want that to jeopardize my relationship with my boyfriend. Now that I am a sophomore in college I look back and regret not living on campus. It was very difficult to make friends on campus because I was not there very often. I know friends that do live on campus and they have made many friends. I wish I had done the same. I do have many wonderful friends that I have met at work, in high school, or have met recently, however, I feel that since I do not live on campus I am not getting the complete college experience.

Erin

I would tell myself that everything you do in high school as a senior really does matter when it comes to college and finding the money, so try your best now. Also, I would tell myself to start looking early and find a plan now and not wait because it gets really stressful when you have a short time. As far as college life goes it will be the best time of your life and it will effect your future, so choice wisley and make the best choices so you can go as far as you can for the best education.

Jillian

If I could go back to High School and give advice to the seventeen year old version of me, I would tell myself one thing: Don't be scared. As a senior I would drive with my Dad around my soon-to-be college campus, which looked gigantic compared to my small suburban high school. I was convinced that Niagara Univeristy was inhabited by rocket scientists, and that I would not fit in. To say the least, I was petrified. It seemed like everything in my world was about to change drastically; high school, friends, and especially homework. Now after three semesters at Niagara Univeristy, I have learned things that if I'd known in high school, would have subdued my fears. I would tell myself as a high school senior the following: 1. The big buildings that seem scary will become a second home to you, and that they are not so big after all. 2. You will get out of college the amount of effort you put into it. And most importantly... 3. Not only will you fit in, but you will be one of the many rocket scientists that you once feared.

The advice i would give my self would be to relax, college life is an easy transition. You'll make friends, and there are many opportunities to grow and learn. You'll love what college life has to offer and the univeristy helps you to transition and get to know other students. Everything will turn out just fine.

Ellen

If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior there is not a lot of advise I would give to myself. I would definately say take as many AP courses as you can so that you can make more time for programs such as studying abroad. I would also tell myself to really visit the college campuses and sit in on classes to really get a feel of what the college or university really has to offer. Although I am satisfied with my choice in college now, sometimes I wonder if I might have been happier someplace else, and I think I would not wonder so much if I wouldn't have put off applying and visiting schools. Finding a school that works for you is the most important, and knowing people who also attend that school isn't necessarily important because it forces you to make friends and really branch out of your comfort zone.

Megan

I would probaby have read more educational books in the summer on how to write papers and do reasearch. I would have taken summer classes to boost my level of knowledge so I wouldn't have had to struggle to be the smartest person in my class. Niagara challenges you so much to give your all and if I had a higher level to my game I would I think have been able to push myself the extra mile and felt more successful.

Peter

Transition can be a tough time. Personally, I came from a small high school and was used to a smaller enviroment. Because i live so close to campus, I thought dorming would be a waste money and too much stress. However, I would advise myself to strongly consider dorming. While I have made a few very good friend, I feel that when you dorm, you make friends for life. The aspect of codepence on your roomate or floor-mates adds a realm of responsibilty that you don't experience at home. I say you make friends for life, based not only on what I observe from the other side of the looking glass, but on personal accounts by these students. When you spend the majority of the year with the same people, strong valuable connections are formed and I feel you learn something socially that way. I feel the students who do live on campus know something about society now that I will later learn in my next period of transition.

I would tell myself not to stress about the worries of college because the transition is not as stressful as the media and high school makes it seem. I would also tell myself to be more money responsible when it comes to spending and to save up in case of emergencies in the future. I would also remind myself to stay on task with my homework and not to wait till the last mintue to all of my work. I would advise the high school senior self to change my majors then from education to social work instead of waiting untill i started college. Most of all I would remind myself that everything will turn out for the best and to just relax and have fun.

Ainslie

get more involved with sports

Shakiyla

When you are searching for the right ccollege for your child, I think that it is very inportant to be financially stable. If you aren't and things aren't paid on time, the school will not let your child register, and your child may not be able to get the classes that they need. I also think that is would be a good decision to let your child visit the college that they have in mind, and even stay the night to get the feel of the community and surrounding. Lastly, send in applications early! Don't wait until the last minute to comeplete anything; especially anything concerning finalcial aid.

jordan

To be very honest, what I have gathered since entering college is that most universities are all the same. It?s all relative when you really get to the core of finding an education. My best advice is short and sweet. Pick a few colleges that offer what you want to study and look appealing to you. Try and visit those schools and get a feeling from its campus and then chose one and stick to it. Most schools are going to offer you a great time and experience, so keep in mind that it is just a school like many others.

Andrea

The first step to find the right college is to do some research and find schools that have programs focused in your area of study. Make sure that the schools havei a knowledgable staff in your intended major. You wont learn anything useful in the real world without learning from people who have been where you want to be. Second, you need to decide what kind of setting is right for you. Is a busy urban school your pace? Or do you need a quiet school with a beautiful campus? Then make college visits and get to know your options. The more you know, the better informed you will be when you need to sit down and compare which schools are more suited to your personality and interests. Think about what you really want or need in a school, and don't forget to ask all your questions. There are usually current students around to answer questions from prospective students. Lastly, get all your paperwork in ON TIME! And don't forget to apply for a ton of scholarships, because no one wants to be paying loans for the rest of their lives. Happy Hunting!

Find out what you love and what you want your career to be. If you pick a major you hate, you?re not going to want to go to class or pay attention and chances are you won?t do well. It will just be a battle with yourself and will ruin your GPA. If you find a major you love, you will be more willing to succeed. Also, be realistic. If you got C?s all through high school and apply to Brown, you?re just wasting your time and money filling out the application fee. Now that you have your major, figure out what schools have that major and narrow it down from there. Location, cost, class size, sports offered, clubs and extracurricular activities, housing options. Once you do your research and figure out what schools you might be interested in, visit them! Take the tours, ask questions to the students, shadow in the classes. While in high school, look for scholarships! Unfortunately I didn?t look for them in high school when it is eaiser to get them. Join clubs, get involved and meet the right people, and enjoy the best time of your life!

Megan

Make sure you go and visit the school before you decide to apply there or not.

Kim

Look at many colleges and shadow other students. Look at the first college that you looked at at the end of your college touring. Sometimes the first college you may look at might not seem appealing because you have nothing to judge it too. Look at college that you may have had no interest of looking at when you started the journey.

Christopher

I would tell students to decide what they want out of their University or college. Some things that I think they should consider would be cost, what school size they want, what they want to go to school for, and the distabce from home they want to be. I also think they should look at financial aid at there schools. Students should get together with their parents to help pick out some different choices of colleges to go to. Applying to more than one college is a great idea so you can have a greater chance of going to a college you would enjoy. As for enjoying your college experience I would say that having fun is very important but so is keeping your grades up. A very important part of the college experience to me is dorm living. I think that if it is possible everybody should dorm for at least a year. The last thing I would say is to make sure to keep a good balance of your social life and your school work.

Daniel

Know what major you are going to take before you look for a school.

Shannon

I would suggest that you start looking early! Don't hinder yourself by trying to stay with friends or close to a boyfriend or girlfriend, those who truly care about you will always be there even if you do go somewhat far away. Making new friends is really easy when you first get to college because everyone is in the same boat, you'll all be really nervous but in the end if you are as lucky as I am, you'll meet the best friends and the best people that you could have ever imagined! Study hard, play hard! You only get out of college what you put into it so enjoy yourself and don't look for things to critique!

Teresa

Be sure to visit the school--this is very important! Tours are best, especially those that include a trip to the dining hall and into the dorm buildings, because these places are more important than you'd think. Consider distance from home as a factor, but weigh it with the other merits of a college. Most important is the academic program or programs that you're interested in. Be sure the college has a strong program for your intended area of study, and a few others that you're interested in as well. You'd be suprised how easy it is to pick up minors or free electives to break up the monotony of your major. Also, consider the people on campus and take note of how people are socializing. Go with your gut feeling about whether the campus is a good fit for you. Once you choose a college, make the most of your time there! Be outgoing and social, and find a good group of friends who enjoy the same things you do. Don't forget to study a lot, but keep a good balance. Join clubs and go to events, and make the most of your time!

Timothy

Try to spend a night there before you go. It will let you socialize with students and get a feel for what life on campus is like

I think that when a parent or student is looking for the right college they should not just look at what is offered, but also what the teaching methods are. If it seems like a lot of students are failing in the courses that would need to be taken maybe they should choose a different school in order to help themselves in the long run. Also to make the most of their college experience maybe parents should make sure that the kids have enough money to attend the college they want to so that they are not stressing over money the entire school career. They should find a school that is either in their price range or one that offers very good financial aid. But the last thing to finding the right college is finding on the suits your life style.

When thinking about college, the best thing to do is think about yourself (if you're a parent, your child). College is an important time in a person's life and my college experience has taught me that, among several other things. College is a place to learn and prepare yourself for the future as well as discover who you are and what you want to be, not just professionally but as an individual. There are lots of financial aid packages available, you just have to get out there (via the internet) and look for them; unfortunately, in my case atleast, I didn't qualify for any financial aid so I'm stuck paying 12k a semester out of pocket (bogus, but it's worth it in the long run for sure). I love going to college, especially the one I currently attend. I met tons of interesting and fun people from all over the country and world at school and my professors are top notch, experets in their field and that's one of the most important things at a school- learning from the best of the best. I wouldn't change what I did after highschool for anything.

Basically, follow your heart. Do what you love and love what you're going to be doing. Don't go into a program strictly for the money aspect of it, but instead do what you love, because chances are this maybe the last time you can study and do what you love. Also, pick a school based on the little things you notice about it. Lots of schools are going to have similar traditions, programs, and facilities but its going to be the little things that make the difference, like the feelings you get on campus, the people you meet, the "signs from above" that signal this is the correct place to go. And once you get to that school, GET INVOLVED!!! Don't be static, but get out there, join clubs, meet people, and check out your surroundings! The more connected you are through clubs, people, and organizations, the stronger the ties you will have to that college and the more doors will open for you in the future. You will have through the opportunity of being involved to become a leader, get experience, and make a difference in your school and community for future generations after you!

Matthew

Go to the campus while the school is in session, see what the campus life is like and talk to some of the students, faculty, and administration to see if that particular school is right for you and the rest of your family. Also, look at the dorms or the place you might be living to see if that housing is livable to you.

Ralph

Try to get scholarship money, this school is expensive. Make sure you lock in your tuition rate because it changes every year, which now I didnt do so now I am paying more than I should be.

Matthew

There are mainly Three important things to take into account when finding the right college. It is not about where your friends are attending because you will make friends wherever you go to college, garaunteed. The first factor you must account for is the distance you want to travel from home, this is the biggest problem for some. This must be decided ahead of time so you know what you want and can cope with the realization of staying close to home or moving far and dorming. The second factor to take into account is if you want to go to a large university or a smaller university. This is the difference between a lecture hall of two hundred and a classroom of twenty students. The size of the university plays a major role in your academic carreer. Know your skills and if you will better excel in a large classroom or small classroom. The final most important factor in finding the right college is to ensure that they have a large, diverse amount of majors. This is especially important if you are undecided in your major. Be sure the school has a qualified program. College is a Growing Experinece!!

DeWitt

When looking for a school to attend make sure you choose the right one because it is your money and your education at risk. Also make sure you take advantage of the tours and visiting days that the school has before you make your final decision.

Christina

By attending college, you find out more and more about yourself. Go look at as many colleges as you can. Instead of just a tour, find someone who you can stay with for a weekend. To get the total college experience, you must really experience it. Then, once you have looked around and really lived on the campus, you will know what college is right for you. There is that one school that will just "click" for you. College is about having fun and living your life. It's about leaving highschool with the intent to be independent and be your own person. It's okay to be scared because everyone is; however, the best part about it, is that everyone is going through it together. When you go to a school, all of those people become your family. Don't hold back. People always say "just be yourself," but really, just be yourself. Surround yourself with good people and you will be a good person. Get involved, try new things, you can be anyone you want to be, just stay true to yourself. Oh, and visit Niagara Univeristy, New York, you wont be disapointed.

Kelly

It's important to choose a college with the same values that you have. Once you're there it's important to get involved. Most colleges have clubs and organizations in an array of interests. Find something that interests you and get involved with it, it's a great way to make friends and to make connections that can help you in the future. This is especially true of professional organizations, honor societies, and faculty-student interactions.

Daphne

I believe that finding the right college is more about making a decision and sticking to it then it is about anything else. College is what you make of it and if you do not go out and get involved and make friends then you will be miserable anywhere you go. Just enjoy the time you have at college and make the most of it because it will be the fastest four years of your life. Apply early and turn in all paperwork on time so that you do not fall through the cracks in the system. HAVE FUN!

John

I would suggest that the student make the decision entirely on their own. A parent, coach etc. should not be the deciding factor in the decision. Thie individual is old enough after high school to make this decision on their own and is the person that knows the best fit for him/her.

Holly

Finding the right college is one of the most difficult decisions you will have to make. In order to do so, one must put the time and effort into researching colleges online, through their guidance counselors, etc., to make a well educated decision. Visiting college campuses and shadowing for a day or a class is another great tool in deciding upon which college is right for you. The cost of college is another factor that is extremely import, especially these days with the economy. The goal is to find the right college that is well accredited in your area of interest and is something that you can afford. Financial aid for colleges will always provide information as to what assistance they can offer you so do not hesitate to ask. Also, to make the most of your college experience get involved. It is hard to do so especially if you are a commuter like I am, but it is well worth it to put forth the effort to find activities and clubs that interest you as there are numerous ones to choose from. All in all, choosing the right college and getting the most out your experience depends on you.

Ronald

VISIT THE COLLEGES. Sit through a class or two and see if the learning environment is what you want in a college. These things vary from person to person, there is no right answer. Talk to current students of the University and find out how they feel about it. Also, talk to the facilty in program. Find out what specific courses the program offers. When talking to professors, the prospective student should attempt to answer the question, "will I be able to learn and get along with these professors for the next four years?" They say that college is about learning "independence." I agree. If it is financially viable, I would strongly recomend dorming. This teaches a whole new level of responsiblity and teaches a lesson that could not be learned in any classroom: time management and self reliance.