Norfolk State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Norfolk State University

Jacquez

I love my school I have learn so much from being here. I am looking forward to learning more from everyone that is around me. The teachers are pushing us to be the best person that we can be. They are opening there doors to help us in any way they can, this makes every thing a whole lot easer.

Takiyah

There are pros and cons to attending this school. I think the school spirit could be better and students should show their support for the student-athletes and go to the home games. I also feel the school was disorganized especially when it came to my major and financial aid. The cafeteria food could use a lot of help. If you are creative there is a place for you. If you are athletic there is a place for you. If you want to give back to the community, there is a place for you. You have to take the good with the bad sometimes.

Demetria

As a current student at Norfolk State University entering my sophomore year, I have come to love and appreciate the culture of my campus. When first arriving, I was very nervous about the classes I was going to take as well as how I was going to survive without my mom. Norfolk State made it its first priority to get me, as well as others, accustomed to campus living as well as how to succeed in our academics. I would absolutely recommend Norfolk State to people who are looking to be apart of something great. I am now and always will be a spartan BEHOLD THE GREEN & GOLD!!!!!!!

Kara

Norfolk State University has some areas where it could definitely improve such as food and overall attitude towards students from faculty. However, Norfolk State has helped me grow and become a type of an adult that I never knew I could be. I will forever be grateful for people that I met here, good or bad.

Skylar

It's only my freshman year, but I love it and I cannot wait to spend the rest of my undergraduate career here. I have the chance to be on the Spirit Squad which is apart of the cheer-leading program we are just a step down. Being on the squad has made me meet new people and enjoy the football games and any other games by cheering on the players or by dancing in the stands. I love my HBCU there is no HBCU like the one i have. Now it's my sophomore year and I still love it. It does have it's ups and downs but I wouldn't choose any other school. I've met so many friendly people since my freshman year. Now i'm a part of my schools Dance Theater Company. I love the girls I dance with, they bring so many fun and outgoing personalities to our team.

keyerra

good food

Mikyah

As an upcoming freshman, I can't wait to attend this college. I had a tough time deciding on what college to go to for awhile since I was accepted into more than 8. I then realized a few of my family members are alumni and had many great things to say and it made me feel more comfortable about my choice

TYra

My overall opinion on Norfolk State University is that it is a great school. It has its flaws that could be changed but it is getting better. Hopefully next semester will be a better experience, Professors will have more time on their hands. Overall it is a great university.

J

Norfolk State University, a HBCU, is a hidden gem located in Norfolk, Virginia. Although I enjoyed my experience at Norfolk State University, I appreciated the school more when I entered the workplace and realized that I was well prepared to work alongside and/or lead colleagues from many different institutions. The low professor to student ratio allowed me to really know my professors and for them to know me. When I graduated, I did not have any student loans like my colleagues who had to work for years on a teaching salary before seeing a return on their college investment. Beautiful campus, easy access to transportation i.e. airport, Amtrak, Trailways, etc., competitive education, and an affordable tuition for both in-state and out-of-state students, Norfolk State University is a school that one would want to consider.

Isis

Let me just say...to start I was really excited about going to NSU. I transferred in from an awesome college in another city just for the opportunity to go to an HBCU. I was optimistic although I was told by someone who graduated from this college, that it were not a good idea. Surely, it would be different for me. Wrong. The faculty and staff need sensitivity training in handling incoming/future/current students. I was bothered by the idea that I was not able to speak with an advisor before enrolling/applying and were refused multiple times. I find out after a greater amount of my classes taken prior didn't transfer in. 3 years worth of classes and I had to begin basic classes I had already taken my freshman/sophomore year. No one tells you about processes, your on your own and its like pulling teeth to ask (financial aid practices, Spartan Card access, general map of campus). They tried to be organized with orientation and AGOGE Week but it was a mess. Its like your always met with a "snickety" attitude when it comes to guidance. But other than that, my professors are really nice, some of the student body is good with general inquiries. I am giving it "a-go" and hope with time my opinion changes and I can take on some of that Spartan Pride.

Cierra

Norfolk State University is a nice college. It has a very small campus and to me that's a good thing because it allows everyone to get familiar with each other since it's so easy to see the same people but doesn't allow you to know everyone all at once so everyday your meeting someone new, the only complaint i would have is the diner hours they could be more flexible especially on the weekends but over all it is a good school.

De'Vaughn

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Ladasia

Norfolk State University is like your favorite restaurant, no matter how familiar you always come back. The vibe that you get at school is one like no other. Norfolk State University is also a place that holds its students to a high academic standard. Pushing us to do our best and giving us the tools needed in order to achieve our best. Norfolk State has wonderful professors who are always available whether through email or office hours, wonderful staff, and terrific meals that remind you of home. Behold the Green and Gold.

Lyanni

It was an fantastic school and everyone was so nice. The dorms were pretty good and the buildings for the programs were great. Their band was the best thing I have ever seen.The energy as a whole was just amazing and I am very excited to be attending in the fall of 2019.

A'lexus

There is room for improvement

Kaylah

I like Norfolk State University. I didn't think that I would because everyone on campus seems really outgoing and I am technically a turtle. But I am slowly letting down my guard in the hopes of making more meaningful relationships not only in the classroom but outside the classroom as well. I think NSU is the perfect affordable school for young adults to get a great education.

Dia Naztie

Norfolk State has an amazing campus. The architect is beautiful. The only two major problems are housing and safety. Once those two things improve the school would be great. I feel like NSU does not care about students housing. They have us request two options for housing and what type of room we would prefer. But even with that, they do not listen. They put us anywhere. They don't care.

Daja

Overall as a school, they are pretty decent. There are some very minor safety concerns, but whenever they happen it is handle with great haste. The students are very friendly, willing to help, and they have so much school spirit. It is also great with keeping you on the right track to graduating with advisors that stick with you.

Dynesha

Overall Norfolk State University is a good academically engaged HBCU but there are quite a few issues that need to be worked on. Housing, for one, we need better housing environments and newer buildings due to recent incidents that happened over Christmas break. Another issue that could be resolved is the Cafe. The cafe could be better, as in, more variety of food and better food choices.

Dallas

Norfolk State University is a good college to attend. You just need to focus on your school first, then the parties. The campus overall is good. I've taken a liking to the new student centers they have built on campus. The professors aren't that bad. Most professors actually work with you and care about your grades.

Tony

I great school that I will be attending in the fall of 2018. The school is diverse with many other different cultures their. The professors engage with their students and encourage them to do well and ask for help. The students may stick to a familiar group of people but the also engage with others.

Ronnea

I am a good decision attending Norfolk State University. The professoers there are always trying there best to make sure you are learning the right material. The school is always having events to keep the students engaged on campus. The president most of the time is walking around in the cafe engaged with his students.

Domonique

Norfolk State University is by far the best school for me; furthermore, the school that gives you opportunities. Attending this vivacious school has encouraged me to work harder, get involved, and understand my purpose. The faculty and staff create a family like environment for everyone.

Tamia

Norfolk State is a great school academic and community wise. When you come here, it feels like a big family and most people know each other. The only concern I have is their customer service issues, more specifically the financial aid department. They're very last minute in notifying you of important deadlines and very rarely pick up the phone and/or respond to emails when trying to get in contact with them. The campus food at the cafe is very sub par and needs more healthier options available for students with vegetarian diets or just want to eat healthier. Also, they often accept more students then they have housing available for which is a big inconvenience.

Yasmeen

Norfolk State University is a school that has a bad reputation. Overall most of the negative thoughts and ideas of Norfolk State University are wrong. Norfolk State is a university that has a lot of potential, it just needs some work. For instance, the campus housing needs to be upgraded because majority of the buildings are very old and need to rebuilt and not just renovated. Also it is difficult to find a great tasting meal on campus and in the surrounding area. When discussing safety, Norfolk State also needs to work on this because the neighborhood near the school is not the best and Norfolk State is a an open campus. Although this college has many negative characteristics about it, I still would recommend people to come here because the people here are amazing. The professors really care about your wellbeing and want to see you progress and the students are amazing talented individuals who want to succeed and better themselves. In other words, Norfolk State University may not be the best school but you will never find another college that cares so must about your success and your progression while also guiding through the next four years of your life.

paris

Norfolk State is a great institution. The campus is absolutely beautiful and fairly new. All of the professors have a well experienced background and fully capable of teaching. The professors constantly remind their students what they are enrolled for and that they see the future I us. Academics always comes first here!

Emoni

I LOVE NSU!!! The professors seemed very friendly and helpful. The campus along with the dorms are absolutely beautiful, and seemed very well kept.

Nyranda

I enjoy going to Norfolk State University, there are always activities going on on campus. Even though the food in the cafe isn't the best at all times, there are plenty of places on and off campus to eat. Everyone is pretty friendly and the campus is nice and clean.

JASMINE

Don't get me wrong, I love my HBCU but it could use a lot of help. Money is going towards building new dorms and a new football field while the dorms aren't sanitized and the food isn't the best. Some teachers put their all into their classes and helping students whereas others don't care to help out and be of assistance when needed. I have gotten more involved on campus now that I am going into my third year and I can honestly say that the more involved you are the more fun college will be.

Tyshel

Norfolk State University is an amazing school. There are a lot of opportunities to grasp and that is beneficial. There is always a helping hand you just have to put yourself out there. There could be some improvement in certain areas and building but most of all Norfolk State University is a loving school.

Jode

Norfolk State University is not just a school kids go to, it's another family that they join. I think Norfolk provides you with all your resources such as child services, job services and transportation. Norfolk also helps you get experience in the field of study that you are going in to.

Oscar

It is a great HBCU, maybe the best in the area

Sotoria

Overall every school have parties and different kinds of activities but the best part about the school is that it’s a hbcu. The academics are amazing and they have a plethora of clubs and events to showcase it. If I could do this over again I would because you build a family

Josael

Norfolk state University is the best in my opinion. Norfolk has everything for the students can succeed in their classes. Every student works together in their classes. No one is left out on activities and everyone is active. So overall i have to rate this school a solid 4 star.

Jocelyn

Norfolk State University is a well rounded school. Its like a family there. For people that are coming in, you make your college experience not the school. The campus is beautiful and it is still growing. The food can be a little bit better but we have good days in the cafe.

Alexis

Norfolk State has an amazing atmosphere. The students here are very serious about their studies and most people are friendly and helpful. The staff is very accommodating in most circumstances. Norfolk State University is a great place to get an undergraduate degree.

sydney

It is a good school with a good community that feels like a family. The people that work there feel like your extended family they treat you like their own. All the resident assistants in the dorms help you with whatever they can. They hold study sessions and events to bring all the residents together. The residential director is very welcoming and it like a second mother to all the girls. The other students are very supportive and there is rarely any drama between the girls and if there is the residential assistants will intervene to help the situation. They hold meeting to get the girls to resolve their issues in a healthy manner.

Lamya

My opinion of Norfolk State University is it feels like I never left home! The setting is so welcoming and when I am on campus with my friends and even Professors I feel so comfortable and safe. Within the classroom, I believe I am receiving the best knowledge of the course I am taking. when I do not understand something my Professor will explain it to me thoroughly, without getting agitated. I love how the campus has events to get everyone involved.

Lonzell

i would be a freshmen coming to NSU and i need all the help I can get to get into my dream school.

Arjenaye

Though I am a new student at the University, Norfolk State has been very welcoming. the staff are very open and do their best to reach out and connect with the students. in my experience, the students are mostly very open-minded and the campus events feel all inclusive.

Joy

Norfolk State University has a great, home-like community. There are resources open to all the students at anytime and professors are also very helpful.

Sahainesh

I genuinely enjoy going to Norfolk State University, I love the people, and I love feeling comfortable in my environment at all times. The only thing for me personally is the cost of living on campus is a little challenge to pay I wish it could be a little cheaper.

Jaylen

Its a cool school and a semi safe environment. One of the best HBCU's in VA. I would definitely recommending anyone to go to NSU. Not only are the parties fun, but they offer scholarships and many honor programs, they put the money that the students pay for tuition back into the school by building new dorms, new libraries, and etc.

Andrea

I love that the advisors keep in touch with you. They treat you like a family, if you have questions they’re right there for you. I never feel left out of things. They send out e-daily’s every day. It’s basically like news on campus, It lets you know everything.

Alleyah

Norfolk State University it a great school. The school is known for its wonderful Arts program with the school's Theater and Choir. NSU is has a bright and excelling STEM learning environment with a great computer science and technology department. As an out of state student I am proud to be apart of the institution.

Overall from the visits it seems like it will be a great campus. It seems like everyone there wants to be your friend. They want to be able to help you out in any way that they can. I love the feeling on campus and so do most of the other students it seems like.

Andrea

My overall opinion of Norfolk State University is this school has an strong background. I feel like we are a big happy family and no one or anything can take that away from the students. I see the students get the financial help and support that they need. There are so many organizations and groups to join and they all have a meaning behind them. These organizations and groups are here to build your networking skills of course and to also meet new people. you will see yourself changing and becoming a better person and building as a young adult. On Campus life is amazing you have study resources, tutor resources, counselors and mentors. They try and keep students updated by sending emails, posting on social media and around campus. Norfolk State University is an amazing school and I encourage any upcoming freshmen to attend the school.

Parian

I am a first-year transfer student at Norfolk State University, and although the school year was cut short, I enjoyed every moment I had there and I look forward to returning. From the moment I got on campus, all of the students and faculty were very welcoming, and that never changed during my time there. The professors really want to get to know you and they make sure you understand the information. The students make sure you aren't alone and that you are enjoying your experience. Overall, I love it and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!