Normandale Community College Top Questions

Jenna

If I could go back in time with the knowledge that I have now, I think that things would have been different for me. First of all, I would have made myself start putting money away to help with the expenses of college, instead of spending it on things that I probably didn't need. I would have told myself to make the best of my last year of high school, and to make sure to keep my friends close because before I know it, they'll have all gone off to college. Also, I would have told myself to do a little more research about the programs that schools offered, and to try to learn more about loans. I would have told myself to apply to more scholorships so the burden of paying for school was not as overwhelming. One more thing I would have told myself was to really think about what I wanted to study in, so I wouldn't waste time and energy taking classes that I was not really interested in, or did not need. However, if I could go back in time and tell myself all these things, then what would I have learned?

Sandra

The best advice I could give myself as a high school senior is to start looking at colleges early and to talk with my mother about what kind of money we have to pay for it. Normandale is a great school and is less expensive than most schools but more college visits and research would have helped me feel completely secure with my decision, university or not. Talking with my mother about money would have helped me with choosing my college and eased my stress with a transfer. The atmosphere of a community college is also different from a campus college and if I had to tell my high school self another thing it would be to not expect making best friends right away. Most students attend community colleges to get their education and to get out so it is much harder making friendships that last past one semester. All of these things would have helped me prepare me for the future and the not so traditional campus college experience.

Brad

I would tell myself to take more classes that are challenging rather than floating by with the easy classes. Even if you don't think the class pertains to your major, chances are it will help you in college. Take more science and math in high school when it is free.

I would have tell myself to study and read more. See when I was in high school I did the basics. When homework was sent home guess what I did? I would do my homework in class. I didn't try harder when I could have. Study time was not a big issue in my school. As long as I got the work in that I was suppose to the teachers didn't push you to do more. I wish that there was someone there to let me know what college life was like. When I went to college I didn't know what to expect but it was a huge slap in the face when I realized that I didn't have the study skills. Even reading was a huge slap as well because I didn't read that much in high school I only read what I needed to and that was that. Knowing now that reading is such a great resource for you to accomplish your assignments and it brings more knowledge to the table. Well you learn from your mistakes.

Joshua

Don't listen to family firstly, spend more time talking to advisors and learn what you need to do, instead of taking classes that didn't apply to your degree and such. The Stafford loan is available to people with HALF time, not just full time. Don't commute 5 days a week even if you need 1 particular class that is 4 days long, you can take any class anytime later with a better schedule in mind. Aim for 2-3 days per week instead. Online classes arent that much more expensive, so take some if you need to. BUT ABOVE ALL, YOU HAVE TO ATTEND CLASS and stay away from MMO video games.

Melanie

The advice I would give myself would have been to do better in school and to get involved in more activities. I wish I would have taken colleges courses in high school - but back then it wasn't offered like it is today.

If I could travel back in time to talk to my former high school self I would give a few words of advice. First of all I would tell myself that as I will get older many things will change. I will become more secure with my individuality and sense of self. The high school cliques will no longer mean anything and I will make friends and find love, no matter how quickly that love may pass. In my maturity and individuality my self confidence will grow. I will no longer be the chubby and lonely girl. In stead I will have grace, beauty and power in my own right. College and adulthood will bring a new perspective.

Mohamed

I would definitly apply for scholarships, for as many as you could possible qualify. I would try harder to get the best possible grades, only A's and B's. I would take more honor classes, I know that makes a big difference when admission representatives are looking over your college application, honor classes would do a lot to enhance your application. I would tell you to get more involved in your community by volunteering. Get out and get a more hands on experience helping out in your community, you make a real difference and that experience can only help to make you into a better person. I would take care to get as many recommendation letters I could get from my teachers, coaches, and counselors. I would do my best to get involved in as many activities, sports, and clubs as I can, as partaking in these things will, while offering you a sense of belonging and enjoyment at the present time, they will also help you to make connections and ties to other people that will benefit you down the road.

Mohamed

TinaMarie

Do not waste time and do not waste your money. Take advantage of post-secondary option, take the AP classes and study hard on the tests. Don't worry about what your "friends" are doing or going, they are only focused on the now and have no concept of setting up their lives for an easier future. Take interest in what interests you and find ways to incorporate those intersts into your high school career. For example, if you like playing an instrument, join the band, doing well in your classes, tutor others, etc. All of these "above and beyond" applications of yourself will not only be something you can share with a college you are interst in but such applications will deepen you ethically, morally and personally building you up to be a stronger, more resiliant and positive person. Good luck, don't sweat the small stuff, don't judge others and be open to all ideas and opinions no matter how obscure they may be at the time.