Durham, NC
North Carolina Central University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Carolina Central University

Kiera

My classmates are really social, they aren't afraid to communicate with each other.

If i could give my high school self some advice about college it would be to not take it as a joke. I didn't realize how much harder it was going to be than high school. Don't procastinate on assignments because unlike your high school teachers, your professors won't remind you when work is due. If you forget then it's on you.

I think the best thing about NCCU is how accepting the students are of others. They don't discriminate . They make you feel as if you are apart of the Eagle family.

Alice

Go to College right out of High School before you start a family. It is so difficult to focus on studies when you have a spouse and children. Get your education behind you while you don't have any commitments or distractions. You will find in the long run that it is much more beneficial. You will learn and retain so much more. You will be able to be more involved in student activities. You will be entering the adult world soon enough. Don't rush it.

Derrell

Law School, Sports, Med Program, and School of Business.

Law School, Sports, Med Program, and School of Business.

Dear Derrell, Patience. College will teach even your impatient self the value of patience. From waiting in line, to waiting on transcripts- college will teach you patience. Also, fun time is over! Collegiate athletics are not fun at all. It’s all work, no play and practice! Practice! Practice! Right now, it’s exciting to miss class for a baseball game. But when you get to college, believe it or not, you’re going to wish you were actually in class. It is important to learn time management skills now, opposed to the hard-way your sophomore year. Remember, there will be a lot of distractions in the dormitory, so learn to love the library early. Most importantly, continue to stay focused. If you never fail or drop a class, you’ll be able to graduate in exactly four years. You’re doing great! Keep up the good work. Also, give granddaddy a kiss for me.

Shorn

I would tell myself to laugh more, love more, learn more, and live more while being a senior in high school and not to think about being out of high school so much and not to rush to become an adult.

Corry

Hello Corry: There are many things that college life will seem to offer you freedom; Lack-of restrictions and independence which will mean a lot if you don’t seize every opportunity to do your best. Hold on to the need for freedom and take on the need for completion. The old saying don’t wait for tomorrow to do the things you can do today is true. Do your work today because tomorrow there will be more to do. When you need help don’t be afraid to ask. Teachers are human too and you are not the only student they have. Even though they can see that you need assistance the person who comes to them is the one who will receive the needed help. Stay on Course. You have a plan COMPLETE IT.

Britney

If I could go back and give myself a few words of advice, I would tell the high school me to go higher and to not let financial situations dictate the school of my dreams. I stayed in-state and went to a community college because it was cheaper, but my dream school was and still is California State University of Long Beach. That is one thing I would stress to the high school me because even though I'm doing well in a great community college, I know I could have excelled more at a University. I would tell myself that loans aren't a bad thing, they're an investment in my future. My financial situation tied me down for fear of the dreaded loans I'd heard such horrible things about. I've learned that they aren't a bad situation to be in because I have faith that I will be successful. I may be delayed in going to my dream school but the old me would be proud of what we have and what we will accomplish in the future. My dream to go to CSULB isn't over; I will get there.

This college is a Historically Black College-University, so it is a predominantly African American school or a school of color. There are a lot of cultural activities based on the fact that the college is an HBCU. There are various African American or color art exhibits for students to view along with various activities that help students to show pride in something that the majority of them share; their African American heritage.

Going to college may take it's toll on you. You will miss home a lot, but you can't let that distract you from what you went there to do. You have so many people rooting for you. When you get to school, don't miss any classes, stay focused on your work and please study! I love you and don't want you to end up making the mistakes that can possibly be made. You may not make a lot of friends when you first get there and you will have some trouble with your roommates. Don't let that discourage you in any way because you will come out stronger. Remember your good home training because it will take you far and while everyone else is having fun, you will be that outlier that will want to just chill out because that is who you are. My final piece of advice to you is no matter what people may have to say about the way you carry yourself, stay true to who you are. You're not a wild person, so don't let anyone or anything change you. Do these things and you'll go far.

The best thing about my school would definitely be the food. There is a diverse menu, but soul food is always served and reminds me of home. Mind you, I'm from the country where a lot of soul food is cooked, so the fact that I get t eat some of the same dishes when I'm at school makes me feel a little more at home.

If I were able to go back in time, I would inform myself that college is not free nor is it laid out like high school. I would encourage myself to apply for scholarships, grants, and loans the minute they were available. Also, I would have started a savings account for my future schooling, because now I am going into school empty handed and thousands of dollars in debt. Nevertheless, I would praise myself for all of the hard work and dedication I put into my classes and homework in high school, and the amount of time I put in for studying. If I could, I would encourage myself to take community college classes in high school, because not only was I eligable, but it would have been a wake up call to the real world, and I would be more prepaired for going into a university college this fall. I do not regret my choices in high school, I was an honorable student, but I know now that I could have done more and had I known, I would have.

Erin

I would tell myself that college is expensive so save alot more money and apply for more scholarships. The carrier path you are about to choose is promising so keep with it whenever you get to that point in life.

Jamecia

North Carolina Central University exceeded my expectations, I simply LOVE it !

North Carolina Central University exceeded my expectations, I simply LOVE it !

My first year in college was indeed a learning experience. From the highs and lows of move-in day on campus, to the sheer excitement of having completed my first, year I have learned so much. If I could go back to talk and give just a few words of advice to my past self, I would tell myself many things that I did not always do. The first thing would be to always take advantage of opportunities offered to you. You never know where any of those opportunities can lead you. Whether it is a student, a faculty member, or anyone, jump on whatever the opportunity is if you can advance from it. Next would be to use your time wisely and try your absolute best to make smart and wise decisions. We are not promised every day and to make a stupid decision and never get the chance back is a horrible feeling. Be smart, think your decisions through, and always have a back-up plan. Use rationale when making decisions. Use your better judgment and know that every action has an outcome.

I honestly feel there is nothing horrible about my North Carolina Central University. From the caring faculty and staff, to our beautiful sloping hill and verdant greens. I love everything about it. It is not too far from my hometown of Henderson, North Carolina, and I feel like I have all the potential in the world there.

North Carolina Central University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.