Durham, NC
North Carolina Central University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Carolina Central University

Britney

If I could go back and give myself a few words of advice, I would tell the high school me to go higher and to not let financial situations dictate the school of my dreams. I stayed in-state and went to a community college because it was cheaper, but my dream school was and still is California State University of Long Beach. That is one thing I would stress to the high school me because even though I'm doing well in a great community college, I know I could have excelled more at a University. I would tell myself that loans aren't a bad thing, they're an investment in my future. My financial situation tied me down for fear of the dreaded loans I'd heard such horrible things about. I've learned that they aren't a bad situation to be in because I have faith that I will be successful. I may be delayed in going to my dream school but the old me would be proud of what we have and what we will accomplish in the future. My dream to go to CSULB isn't over; I will get there.

This college is a Historically Black College-University, so it is a predominantly African American school or a school of color. There are a lot of cultural activities based on the fact that the college is an HBCU. There are various African American or color art exhibits for students to view along with various activities that help students to show pride in something that the majority of them share; their African American heritage.

Going to college may take it's toll on you. You will miss home a lot, but you can't let that distract you from what you went there to do. You have so many people rooting for you. When you get to school, don't miss any classes, stay focused on your work and please study! I love you and don't want you to end up making the mistakes that can possibly be made. You may not make a lot of friends when you first get there and you will have some trouble with your roommates. Don't let that discourage you in any way because you will come out stronger. Remember your good home training because it will take you far and while everyone else is having fun, you will be that outlier that will want to just chill out because that is who you are. My final piece of advice to you is no matter what people may have to say about the way you carry yourself, stay true to who you are. You're not a wild person, so don't let anyone or anything change you. Do these things and you'll go far.

The best thing about my school would definitely be the food. There is a diverse menu, but soul food is always served and reminds me of home. Mind you, I'm from the country where a lot of soul food is cooked, so the fact that I get t eat some of the same dishes when I'm at school makes me feel a little more at home.

If I were able to go back in time, I would inform myself that college is not free nor is it laid out like high school. I would encourage myself to apply for scholarships, grants, and loans the minute they were available. Also, I would have started a savings account for my future schooling, because now I am going into school empty handed and thousands of dollars in debt. Nevertheless, I would praise myself for all of the hard work and dedication I put into my classes and homework in high school, and the amount of time I put in for studying. If I could, I would encourage myself to take community college classes in high school, because not only was I eligable, but it would have been a wake up call to the real world, and I would be more prepaired for going into a university college this fall. I do not regret my choices in high school, I was an honorable student, but I know now that I could have done more and had I known, I would have.

Erin

I would tell myself that college is expensive so save alot more money and apply for more scholarships. The carrier path you are about to choose is promising so keep with it whenever you get to that point in life.

Jamecia

North Carolina Central University exceeded my expectations, I simply LOVE it !

North Carolina Central University exceeded my expectations, I simply LOVE it !

My first year in college was indeed a learning experience. From the highs and lows of move-in day on campus, to the sheer excitement of having completed my first, year I have learned so much. If I could go back to talk and give just a few words of advice to my past self, I would tell myself many things that I did not always do. The first thing would be to always take advantage of opportunities offered to you. You never know where any of those opportunities can lead you. Whether it is a student, a faculty member, or anyone, jump on whatever the opportunity is if you can advance from it. Next would be to use your time wisely and try your absolute best to make smart and wise decisions. We are not promised every day and to make a stupid decision and never get the chance back is a horrible feeling. Be smart, think your decisions through, and always have a back-up plan. Use rationale when making decisions. Use your better judgment and know that every action has an outcome.

I honestly feel there is nothing horrible about my North Carolina Central University. From the caring faculty and staff, to our beautiful sloping hill and verdant greens. I love everything about it. It is not too far from my hometown of Henderson, North Carolina, and I feel like I have all the potential in the world there.

Ayres

I just wish that girls would love their body more than they love anything else. According to a Stanford sociologist who surveyed a whopping 17,000 college students since 2005 found that a hefty 24% of seniors said they were virgins. (http://www.newser.com) This statistic that I have found opened my eyes up a lot. While I was reading this article, I learned that many older generations think that the numbers for a person is low. Although this is not a high number this is still a great number to be thankful for the teens who respect their body. If college is supposed to be like we think it is, my advice to all seniors in high school is to practice abstinence or safe sex and stay true to yourself! Teenagers begin to get involved with the wrong people at the wrong time and the do not realize their consequences to their actions until the end. I believe that as young adults we should practice abstinence. We should show the world that we are not going to be a part of the sexually active teenagers. Sex is something that as young adults we are not ready for.

This would be the best school because you have more than enough to get a great education.

A person who is determined about having graduation as their destination is the type of person that should attend this school.

LaToya

Well my school is really here to help you.It has so many resources for you to suceed.

I would tell myself to actually take more time and study. I would also tell myself not to wait to the last mintue to do things that concern me getting a education. If I could go back in time I would tell myself that I need to work more and save my oney and not waste it on useless things.

I don't find anything frustrating about my school.

Shaniquah

Its the first of the year and now it is time to buckle down and fill out theses scholarships, free money is the best money. Reguardless school will be paid for, but not having loans to worry about would be one less thing to worried about once your a freshman in college. If not already sports are important, thats one way to use your talent and have somebody else pay for your school. Also the most expensive thing you might have to pay for next year will be your books so once again scholarships scholarships and scholarships! Good luck and you made it so don't give up now because the expression people give you when you tell them your a college student is a feeling i wouldn't change for the world.

When I tell my Best Friend A Aggie at North Carolinia A&T I tell her about the freedom and the independence i learned to gained my first year at Central. Then i go into the Kappa's and how the shimmy.

The most frustated thing about my school is how its not know for too many things, and how we sometime get bad comment because of the area.

Rosetta

NCCU shows you how to be on your own and is a really good school if you want to balance your social and adacdemic life.

Dear high school Rosetta, Though all the hard work may seem useless now, trust me it's going to be worth it in the end. Continue to stay focused and make the best out of every situation. I know you have a lot planned for your future and with hard work and God by your side I know you're going to be able to accomplish it. Don't fall into peer pressure, continue to stay strong minded. The transition from high school to college may not necessarily be the easiest one but I have faith that your going to make the best out of every situation. Remember what your mother and grandmother taught you about life and don't forgot those many words of wisdom. Appreciate the care-free life now because you're going to miss it when you get to college. With everything that you may go through remember that you are never alone because you have family, friends and above everybody else you have God. Make wise decisions and if you should fail just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again.

The best thing about NCCU would have to be the school spirit. At football games and basketball games we are always cheering the teams on. We are often in competion with other HBCU's and NCCU always stands their ground and let other's know that we are the best.

Ronald

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school senior self, I would first encourage myself to keep my job. Having a job allows for more freedom and independence while away in another city. No longer would I have to depend on my parents for cash and then figure out how to make $50 last for 2 weeks. I believe it would have enhanced my social life in college as well. I would also tell my high school self to thoroughly research the program for the major I'm pursuing. Ensure that the campus actually has all of the features listed in the brochure before committing to a particular course of study. I lost almost a year of coursework after changing my major from music to business, as I didn't investigate the music program fully before enrolling.

Honestly there wasn't anything extremely bad about NCCU. If I had to choose I would mostl likely say the cafeteria food, although I believe that they've changed food vendors since I've graduated. When I was there, it wasn't like the food wasn't good, I just wish there was more variety. The menu was pretty predictable and didn't change much from week-to-week. But, when you're a broke college student you have to make due with what you have.

The most frustrating thing about NCCU would undoubtedly be the parking situation. While there are limited parking options for those that reside on campus it is increasingly difficult for off-campus students to find proper parking before class starts. The City of Durham claims to have precedence over the streets that cut through the campus and therefore issue city citations to those parking illegally or over the 30-minute time limit. It always seemed like a predatory practice to me, but there really is nothing we can do about it.

North Carolina Central University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.