Durham, NC
North Carolina Central University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Carolina Central University

Andrea

My classmates is always loud, talkative, and repeatively absent from class from partying the night before.

What i have gotten so far out of this college experience is the abiltiy to take care of my responsibilities and becoming more independent. College life is not what everyone has made it seem before I had left. Some people said college would be hard, and that the students is mean, the real world will hit me hard, and im too small to be out on my own. I have been attending NCCU since august 16, 2010 and i have been doing great ever since. I have all my responsibilities tooken care of and have no worries thus far. I am currently a freshman who plans on doing something great with my life. I plan to reach this goal with all the guidance and financial support I can recieve, any free guidance that will lead me in the right direction I am willing to take. Three years from now you can see me graduating from college a step closer to reaching my goal.

i think the best thing here at central is the community service how it gives back and involves itself with the community. Also the sponsers, how they take the time out their busy schedules to help out at every football game, do fundraisers, and set up events around the school.

Travell

Very good university but expensive to go

Very good university but expensive to go

I have learned alot and how to be responsible and the valuable thing is being able to get a job after

I really can't afford being here

Alicia

Throughout my high school life I was set on the fact that the last place I would ever go was another classroom. I had absolutely no desire to go to college after high school. I was going to be free to travel and live on my own time. Things have changed. I am now going to Columbus State Community College, for a two year degree in Early Childhood Development. How did this one eighty come about? God did a one eighty in my heart. Throughout high school I was blessed by going to the Dominican Republic, serving a small school in a rural area. Once I graduated I had to go back, I had the opportunity to teach English in the school. My parents were not so found of me going so we made a deal. I would go to school when I got home. Living in the Dominican with these joyful children I saw what I was supposed to do with my life. I will not be able to fully love children like them without education. I want to show children like them what they can do. They deserve more than anyone I know; yet they have nothing.

Kristen

I have gotten out of my college experience that when you attend college you are stepping into a new world. I use to always hear people tell me that once I graduated from high school, but I never knew what they meant by it. Now I know, college is a life of doing things on your own. You no longer have your parents telling you it is time for school, or their being phone calls sent home for missing class. Also, professors expect that any reading requirements be read prior to class, and there aren't as many reminders. You are no longer spoon fed, professors are known for beginning a lecture, but if time runs out in class, the rest is left up to you. College has been valuable to attend because it taught me to be a responsible person. I learned that in order to make it in the real world you have to have determination, goals, and courage. Even though I am only 21 years of age, I have fought battles that you have to be strong to upkeep. I believe with all that I have faced I am me today and plan to grow.

I believe that you have to be a person who is outgoing. When I first got to NCCU, I would walk past other students and just look at them and immediately they would smile and speak. This action made you speak back and showed that our school is a friendly campus. Also, if you are someone that likes a small class size group, study groups, and one on one times with your professor, then this is the school for you. There are a lot of activities that a student can participate in and the area is close to stores.

I brag most to people about our school athletic events. As a athlete I know how much of a family each of the sports are. We all try to support each other in the games we play. The biggest athletic events on our campus is our homecoming football games and any regular season basketball games we're playing a rival. I brag about how we have a screaming eagles squad that cheers to other players, along with a band that tears the house down. Some cheers may tell a player to sit down & great music entertaining in the band.

Farah

When I first attended NCCU I was a quiet girl that did not speak up for herself. Everyone walked all over me because they knew I was so nice. After my first I found that I was speaking my mind and speaking up more. Where ever I was, I walked with my head up because of that eagle pride that grew within me! I'm still that nice, sweet girl that everyone loves but I have also learned how to say no and not take just anything from anyone. NCCU also taught me how to present myself. Showing us how to act in the business world, what to say and what not to say. The University prepares you for your furture.

The best thing about my school is the events and activities that they have there. There's always something happening. On Tuesdays and Thrusdays they have what you call 10:40 break and it's where all the students come together between classes to have a good time and meet new people.

Anybody can attend this school. It is open to all students that are looking to get a good education. Once you've been in the school for at least a year you'll see that it has changed you for the better. I know it has changed me in the way I walk, talk, and even dress.

Kiara

My school is Best known for school spirit. We are very involved with school events and rasing money for our school. As well as making up things like spirit week to show off our school pride. Another thing my school is known for is high Achievers a lot of people at my school are super smart and have validictorian credentials. Half of the seniors are all A students and are very heavily involved with academics

ive learned how to stand on my own and be more mature and do the thingsi need to do on time it has taught me how to also be a more effective communicator. And put my career first

I feel that the kind of person that should attend North carolina central university should be someone with good work ethics, in order to manage their study and homework time. Someone who is determined and self driven a person that is there to learn and apply their education to their field of study. A person that has good time management and can make most of their time for work and the other half of their time for studying. And Someone with school spirit and is proud to be apart of the school and represents the school in a positive way.

Takita

North Carolina Central University is a unique school because for one it's an HBCU! You learn a lot about your school history and you meet so many different students from all over the world. Also, the food is great. Wednesday is Chicken Wednesday and Friday is Fish Friday and that's the best ever! You also get to see fraternities and soritories step and that brings a lot of excitement to the campus!

I have enjoyed my freshmen year in college. College has brought me so many challenges that I had to face on my own. I learned how to manage myself as well as money. I also learned how to manage my time, manage my problems, and manage my work and still have fun when the time was needed. It has been valuable for me to attend because before I attended I depended on my parents for everything possible like money, food, problems, etc. But by me going to college it kind of winged me away/off my parents and onto my feet. Another important eperience that I valued was having time to study. Study played such an important roll and to this day I have studied more and learned other ways to study so it wouldn't be boring! But the biggest impact was me stepping into the real world on my own. I came to college as a little girl but now I can say I have transformed into a young woman!

A person who wants to adventure out and meet new people, someone who isn't scared, strong and positive mind, and just have a great heart!

Amber

I really and honestly do believe that I have experienced the college experience. Before graduating from high school I was nervous about going away from home and being away from my family ad friends. I didn't know if I would make friends, if I would like the food, or if I could manage being on my own. Upon my arrival, I began to realize that there were litteraly hundreds if not thousands of students here who probably thought the exact same thing. Being in school and experiencing parties, all nighters, exams, oversleeping, cafeteria food, roommates, conflicts, hard classes, and so on has allowed me to grow. I have learned so much about myself, my surroundings, others, and life in general. It may start out as a bit of a struggle, but the college experience is a benefit in the long run. With all of the good times and bad times, I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's a valuable thing for any person wanting to mature and have fun at the same time.

When considering NCCU, be sure that this is the right choice based on your major, career goals, and personality. NCCU is known for its wonderful law and science programs. For any prospective students, I would suggest learning the campus, the administration, and the degrees offered. It's a pretty small campus, which some people may or may not enjoy. And while the housing on campus is (overall) satisfactory, as of now there is no guaranteed housing for upper classmen (another thing to consider). It's a wonderful institute that offers many diverse things. But be sure to RESEARCH!

The worst part of my school thus far is that there is no guarunteed housing for upperclassmen. While I am here on a scholarship and honors program, I know I have housing. However, because the campus is continuously adding on to the beautiful campus, there isn't enough housing for everybody. On the plus side, NCCU is currently working on housing (construction on new dorms is taking place), so hopefully this issue will be solved soon.

Jacqueline

My school is a family--regardless if you know your neighbor or not, everyone is around to help. Alumni will help you find a job post graduation. Faculty and staff are always around to guide you in the right direction. Upperclassmen are there to lead you and give advice. The chancellor is available to talk with you 24/7.

Get to know as many people as you can while in college. Life isn't always about what you know---but who you know. Network as much as possible. Always make a great first impression because the first 30 seconds can last a lifetime. Remember that someone is always watching you , so be professional at all time and know that there is a time and place for everything. And lastly, be careful of the company you keep. Don't let someone else's sloppiness put you down. No one wants to end up being guilty by association.

NCCU is for everyone. There is something to offer anyone who wants to attend. NCCU is a very diverse HBCU. The only thing that everyone has is common is that we came to get a degree.

Jaime

My school is the nation's first public liberal arts institution founded for African Americans.

It is a historical black university which was chartered in 1909 and opened it's doors in 1910 as a National Religious Training School . Dr James Shepard, was the founder until his death in 1947. From the beginning, my school has declared its purpose to be th development in young men and women of character and sound academic training so they would be able to serve their nation proudly.

If I were to go back to my senior year knowing what I know now, I would advise Jaime to take each day seriously. I would tell Jaime to study not just for the test today but learn from them. Jaime would also need to listen with intent when the teachers advise her to keep track of all her jobs, volunteer activities, clubs and other school activities for this information will be useful in the future. Jaime would need to know that time management is very important and becomes even more important in the future when she does not have her mother to wake her up, tell her to study or remind her to do her homework. I would tell her about the importance of independent study as well as group study because she will need both methods in order to succeed. Jaime would need to know friends are good to have but education is more important. Jaime will need to know that education will bring her a host of friends as she moves through life. And lastly, the morals and values her family instilled in her and the prayers of her family are to be valued throughout her life.

North Carolina Central University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.