Raleigh, NC
North Carolina State University at Raleigh

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Carolina State University at Raleigh

The best thing about NCSU is the great college of Management I am enrolled in. One thing I would change would be repair the dorms, the elevators are always broken. NCSU is just the right size, not too big nor too small. When I tell people I go to NCSU people react normally like any other person would when you tell them where you attend school. I spend most of my time in the dorm because i live on campus currently. This is a college town but it is not as big and eventful as some other colleges. NCSU's administration tries to be involved as much as possible with campus life and students. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the death of UNC student body government Eve Carson. There is a lot of school pride but it is not anywhere near what it could be if all the students participated in school events. The only thing unusual about NCSU is all the crime that has been going on recently. One experience i will always remember is rooming with someone i had never met until move-in day. Most students complain about walking everywhere and fire drills all throughout the night/morning.

I do not like a lot of those types of groups because they are very close minded. I do not think anybody would feel out of place at nc state, we are very diverse. A lot of people wear comfty clothes to class. Everybody interacts with everybody! A lot of student that eat in the dining hall just eat with a few friends or their roommate. NCSU students are from everywhere around the country mostly south east though. Financial backgrounds are diverse as well. Most students are politically aware and active.

NC State is big on engineering and agriculture, but it has other colleges than just those two. NC States college of Management is a great college and well known but does not have a stereotype, so I guess a lot of people don't know about it. A lot of the students in agriculture have country accents, but that does not count everybody at NC State. UNC and NC State always go back and forth winning and losing so overall that stereotype is facts, but they change every season. And our campus is not boring; brick buildings are very nice and strong, but that might just be a personal opinion.

All students are country and farmers. We are not as good as UNC Chapel Hill, and we have a boring campus. A lot of the students are engineers.

Sororities and Fraternities are big on campus. I am involved with the Chi Omega sorority and it is amazing, they help keep your grades in check and still be able to go out with your friends/"sisters". I've noticed that people that live in a suite style dorm they leave their doors unlocked for short amounts of time. People that live in hall style dorms they lock their dorms everytime they leave their room. Basketball and football are big. My closest friends are my roomate, Chi O sisters, and people that i knew prior to college. My boyfriend i met before college as well but i know the dating scene is big and very open. I am normally awake at 2 am every morning and i am normally out with a few friends. Before big games we have pep rallies like before state plays unc. People party at least on the weekends. Last weekend i stayed with my boyfriend and went out to a few parties. I eat off campus and travel.

Some professors know my name but only in smaller classes. My favorite class was FLS 110 and my least favorite is FLS 201 because of the teachers. I believe students study habits vary, i study the day before a test unless it is a final. Class participation is common when a students grade depends on it. NCSU students converse all the time about intellectual subjects. Some students are competitive. The most unique class i have taken was an interactive music class. My major is international business and the college of management is amazing! They always are sending me emails of way to get involved with the college. I spend time with professor after class if i have any questions. I believe some academic requirements should not be required, only recommended. From what i know so far, i believe the education is towards getting a job.

Nick

NCSU is in Raleigh NC close to UNC and Wake Forest so it is very much a college town. The school is very large and I like it that way. When I tell someone that I go to NC State people in the state usually say they went there to because that is where most of the people from North Carolina go. People from out of state do not know too much about it but they usually realize that it is a good school. There is a lot of school pride here, and the fans are very good but sometimes very harsh. The only student complaints I usually hear are about sports but our athletics program is decent now but definitely on the rise, as most of the students know.

The student body is very diverse and can not be described as a whole. Most of the students here are from North Carolina.

No people believe that because we have a good agricultural program that is actually one of the nations top researchers in alternative fuels. Some of us did not go to UNC because we wanted to be Engineers. And yes there are some dumb people here because it is a state school and a certain number of people have to come from North Carolina

Only a few of my professors know my name because the school is so large and the classes our big. My favorite class is GC 120 which is a graphics class that all Engineers have to take. My least favorite class was English 101, I mean come on I am an Engineer I hate English. I am currently majoring in Civil Engineering. I like the department but have only taken a few of the Civil Engineering courses because first I have to get all my required Engineering classes out of the way (ex. Physics, Calculus, English).The education is definitely geared at getting a job. The school really helps you out with that by hosting one of the largest Engineering career fairs in the country with over 300 Engineering companies attending every year.

that we are dumb rednecks that couldn't get into UNC

Since the school is so big, the social life is great. Whatever your crowd is, you can definitely find here. If you like partying there are lots of parties. If you like to play video games there are lots of LAN parties. The list could go on. The guy to girl population is about 50/50.

The best thing about NCSU is the down home feel. I thought that moving from a small town to a large city would be really hard, but it's not. NCSU still has the southern hospitality and polite people in the big city. It's the best of both world - lots of shopping and really nice people. One of the most frequent student complaints is that we are always compared to UNC and that we are not as good as a school as them. In fact, our engineering school is one of our biggest colleges and our textile school is ranked, as well. People also forget about our vet school being one of the top in the nation.

The LGBT center here at NCSU did not go over very well with most of the students.

No. If you look at the way all of our students dress, we dress just like every other college. The majority ranges from very preppy to t-shirts and jeans. There are a few people that dress hippie, goth, punk, and redneck, but the majority is just like every other college.

The education at NCSU depends on which program. Some are geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake.

NCSU is viewed as the redneck school.

Alex

The best thing about NCSU is the campus activity. Theres always something going on. One thing I'd change is that theres always construction on campus. Like i said theres something always going on including updates and remodeling. I like new buildings but at the same time construction areas can be a hassel. I am from a very small town so i think NC States size is just right. My hometown is half the size of NC States population. When I am not in my dorm I am usually in central campus. Most of my classes are in the sciences labs so i spend alot of time there. There is alot of school pride. Although I think there could be more school spirit.

I live in a private dorm which doesnt allow me to eat at the dining hall. NCSU students come from all over. I have met alot of people from Raleigh and Charlotte however, just because i think they are large towns. I think there are lots of students who are politically active. I actually just registered to vote and have been watching the new reports on this election.

Half of my professors know my name. I am in 2 large classes which it would be impossible for the instuctor to learn all of our names. My favorite right now would definately be chemistry, its one of my larger classes so my professor doesnt know my name but i had him last semester for basinc chemistry too and really enjoyed his class. In the smaller classes class participation is very common. I know in my economics class and english we are always debating something within the class.

There are tons to things to get involved in! Right now i am a sister in Chi Omega and in the Student Wolfpack club. Most people on my hall in my dorm leave there doors cracked. If somethings going on (usually there is) we always go out into the hall to socialize. If i am awake at 2 am its usually because my roommate is keeping me awake. Which tends to happen alot! Last weekend i attended one of my dorms events. Because i live in a private dorm they hold events and parties usually once a month and this past weekend i attended their casino night.

I think the biggest stereotype about NC State and the students is that we hate UNC. Just because they are our biggest riveals does not mean we necessarily hate them. I plan on attended the school later but right now i am at ncsu.

Court

If I could change one thing it would be Hillsborough st. It is so dated and ugly.

Students are somewhat politically aware and active. I think NCSU students are predominantly right but the teachers are predominantly left. Students don't generally talk about how much they will earn one day. I think just about any student could feel in place at NCSU. I see a lot of diversity around campus.

NCSU students are competitive and I think classes are geared toward getting a job and learning for its own sake. About half of my professors overall have been wonderful and the other half weren't very good at all in my opinion. I think teachers need to be held more accountable. I am tired of working very hard and receiving very little effort from some teachers as far as getting grades back within a reasonable time and proper feedback.

I am in Chi Omega. Being a part of a sorority has greatly improved my college experience. It is not just social. It has played a role in encouraging scholarship and involvement in my community through service. I believe I am more well rounded as a result of my experience with the sorority.

NCSU is known for its Agriculture, Veterinary, and Engineering. The typical NCSU student is southern.

Jamie

The opportunities on campus. There was always an event going on in the brickyard, and a lot of students, from different organizations would work together for a cause. I think that NC State is a good size. I wanted to go to a larger school, but not one that was overwhelming. Many people, when I tell them I go to NCSU, talk about what a good school it is. I spend most of my time around the Court of Carolinas because many of my classes are over there. I think that NCSU has a diverse, yet qualified, array of teachers. However, I feel that many of our advisors do not have time for us, and we need as much guidance as we can get. One experience I will remember about NCSU is Service Raleigh. When I went to Reynolds, I was amazed to see how many sorority/fraternity and other organizations were there to help clean-up Raleigh.

The only problem I have with religion on campus in the men in the brickyard. While I know they are not affiliated with NCSU, I feel that they try to divide our campus. Religion is important to many students here, but many do not agree with what these men are saying. I do not think that any student would feel out of place at NCSU. We have organizations for any ethnicity or gender. NCSU really makes an effort to make everyone feel comfortable.

No. Some students are part of the agriculture and vet. department, but many students are also in the business and communications field, along with many other major departments.

I feel that most of my teachers made an effort to get to know me, or at least my name. My favorite class is World Food and Population with Bob Patterson. He is an outstanding teacher that really cares, not just about our education, but helping us open our eyes to the problems in the world. I have never spent time with a professor outside of class, but many were willingly to work with students one-on-one. I think NCSU could do a better job helping graudating students find jobs.

I think the most popular organizations on campus are: Greek Life and Campus Crusade. I am invovled with a sorority and I am thrilled with the support of Greek Life at the moment. Even non-greeks are getting involved with Greek Life and helping memebers with their phillanthropies. I met my closest friends through my sorority and get excited each year for Greek Week and other panhellenic events.

That they are all agriculture students.

Kristen

The best thing about NCSU is the diversity of the students. If I could change one thing it would be to use different building materials other than bricks. I like the size of my school, you don't know everybody but you recognize people when walking across campus and see friends most of the time. When I tell people I go to NCSU they usually comment on how bad the basketball or football team is. I spend most of my time on campus in the classroom buildings in the brickyard. Raleigh is somewhat of a college town but it is more of a "big" city seeing as we have concerts, hockey games, and the fact that we're the capital. I never see NCSU's administration except at large events. I feel that they are highly overpaid for the work that they do. There are always small controversies on campus, from preacher Gary to student body elections. There is a lot of school pride but it could be improved, possibly if the teams were better. The one thing I'll always remember is rushing the court my sophomore year after we beat Carolina in basketball. The most student complaints come about the number of bricks, construction, the Wolfline bus system, professors, and classes.

NCSU is a very diverse campus and I think for the most part everybody gets along. Students wear whatever they want to class, cute little sundresses to comfortable sweats or pajamas. Different types of students do interact because of the constant contact that come in. Most NCSU students are from North Carolina and rural areas. There are some very politically aware students but not as much as at other schools.

There are a lot of people who are rednecks or who are from the rural settings but there are also a lot of different people to.

Many people think that NCSU students are a bunch of rednecks who chew dip and drive big trucks.

The most popular groups are the athletics teams, greek life and then various major based organizations. It depends on how social the student is if they leave their door open or not. Major athletic events, ie. football, basketball, and baseball, are very popular, the smaller sports...not so much. Guest speakers and theater are not very popular. I met my closest friends through who I roomed with my freshman and sophomore year but I feel that my friends from home are more my best friends than anybody I've met at college. If I'm awake at 2am on Tuesday, I'm either studying, with my boyfriend, or playing on facebook. There are traditions such as Ram Roast before the Carolina games, parents' weekend, homecoming, dance marathon, and others. You can always find a group partying at least every weekend. Greek life is popular but it is not a huge thing on campus. Last weekend I studied and played in a catch phrase tournament. On Saturday nights you can go to the movies, hang out with friends, play catch phrase, ha, go bowling or ice skating.

Most professors in my major do not know my name because I am usually in a large lecture of 200 people or more. I do not really have a favorite class, I feel that I have not learned much that I will use in my career. My least favorite class is all the chemistries. As a Biology major, being required to take all the chemistries that I will never use again is completely pointless. Most classes do not involve participation, it is more of a sit and listen to the professor lecture. Students are competitive, and then you also have the ones just trying to get by. The biology department requires you to take a lot of pointless classes. No, I do not spend time with professors outside of class, that would be weird.

I think the size is just right. It's small enough where you can get to know people, but it's big enough so you don't see the same people everywhere all the time. Since a lot of people from my highschool came here, it's nice to see them every once in a while, but the campus is big enough that I don't see them all the time. I like it being in the city, too. It's nice to have places to go away from campus. There's a lot of school spirit, also which I like.

I have no problem with the different support groups around campus. Some people feel they're unnecessary, but I think it's a great idea. The campus is big enough and there are so many different people that virtually no one would feel out of place. It might take some time to find the right group, but I'm sure it's there. Most students are from parts of NC, but there are a good number that are from out of state.

No, a lot of people are majoring in other areas besides engineering. There are a lot of rednecks and very southern people, but there are also a lot of people who aren't. And yes, there is a higher percentage of guys that go here.

The professors in smaller classes know my name and try to get to know their students pretty well. In the larger classes, however, it's difficult for them to get to know us.

The most popular groups would probably have to be greek life and sports. Athletic events are very popular, and would probably be more so if our teams were better. Basketball and football are the main games to go to, but there's also baseball, softball, soccer, etc.

That we're all good at math and science and are majoring in engineering. That we're all rednecks and from the south. It's majority guys that go here.

Caro

i love walking on campus. when some people first walk on they think the campus is ugly and all brick, but its the people who make it amazing. when you walk around you can see the school pride. everyone here is laid back and and pretty nice. gotta love the southern hospitality. people actually hold doors for you and smile or say hey when they walk by.

i think we are very diverse. we have all kinds of clubs, so anyone can fit in and find some people like them. there are more conservative people here due to the fact theres lots of agriculture people. different types of students interact with ease.

no we have a wide range of people from country raised to rich city people. we all mix well together though.

we have big classes and small classes. in your major classes most of them are small enough to know your name. i'm accounting, but i'm not sure if i want to do it for the rest of my life. we have some really good teachers who make the class fun and interesting and not boring.

we have sororities and fraternities but i think only about 13% of students are in them. but there are hundreds of clubs and teams to be on. intramurals are really fun and easy to get into. football and basketball games are very popular, but we also like to support the "non-revenue raising" teams. i went to every swim meet this season. there are more guys here because of engineering and agriculture so the odds are in my favor. its easy to date here. lots of events going on and fun restaurants in walking distance on hillsborough street. most students do leave their doors open in the dorms. 2am on a tues. im either drinking, watching a movie with a date, on facebook, or finishing up homework.

we are rednecks and our school is only made of bricks

Gary

NC State is the perfect location, 1.5 hours from the beach, 2 hours from the mountains.

Intermurals (basketball, softball, football, bowling)

North Carolina State University at Raleigh administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.