Raleigh, NC
North Carolina State University at Raleigh

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Carolina State University at Raleigh

Erika

The best thing about NC State is that it is right in the heart of Raleigh. The location of State is so close to the research triangle park, and all the professionals that work there.

NO. I personally got into Chapel Hill and was not interested in that college. I attend NCSU because of the great atmosphere here around the campus.

-That all of us are agriculture majors. -That we couldn't get into UNC-CH.

Professors do know my name. My favorite class had to be ENG 101, just because i became so close with my classmates and professor. We were in that class for 4 days a week, so we saw each other more than any other class. Also the fact that the class was small, it aided in our closeness.

Erin

-The best thing is when we have good weather its perfect!! - - its perfect size for me not to big and not to small -they as how far away the beach is and they're jealous b/c they're stuck up in the cold in PA -i spend most of my time in my dorm - -some of them have no idea what they're talking about a couple of the classes ive been taking i have to teach myself the material becuase my teachers dont help. -not much school pride -

I dont think so, since im an out-of-state student it is impossible to get into either of those.

-some of them do, most of my classes are kinda large so its hard for the professor to know everyone -favorite:

campus crusades and frats and sororities im involved in a sority and i love it.

That if you can't get into UNC or Duke you go to NCSU, therefore were not as "smart" as the rest of them.

Harper

i think one of the best things about ncsu is that it is located in raleigh. raleigh is such a diverse city and that is one of the great things about ncsu because it is located here you are exposed to many different elements of life that you wouldn't find if you went to a smaller school or a school that is located in the middle of no where. i think that ncsu is just the right size. yes it is a large university. you do have the classes in which you have 200 people in one lecture but those are just your general ed classes. i've had teachers make the time to try to get to know the names of students in those classes by taking pictures to put the names with faces. people can't say that at ncsu you are just another number because when you finally get down to your core classes in your major you aren't thrown into a large class. i know that in my major there are only 3 classes that have large lectures and then the rest of the classes in my major are smaller and it is more "intimate" (for the lack of a better word). i spend the majority of my time on campus on east campus over in winston, thompkins and caldwell. that is where all of my classes have been for the past two years since i am a humanities and social science major. i think that there is a decent amount of school pride but it is something that isn't as prevalent as many would think. the attendance at campus events, such as the pack howl and the homecoming parade isn't as large as it should be, but when it comes to football games the school is behind there team when the school is doing well. i was always taught by my father not to be a fairweather fan so i always stand behind our team no matter the season, if it be 3-9 or if they are 10-2.

i don't believe these stereotypes are true at all. we have lots of intelligent people here at ncsu because we have some of the best engineers that come to ncsu. yes we do have the agriculture side of our school and the vet school but we have one of the premier vet schools in the nation that most students in that field would love to attend but it is very prestigious and hard to get be accepted into

we are the "stupid" kids from NC because we go to the agriculture school; we attend "moo u"

i am involved with a sorority here on campus. it is something that i joined when i was a sophomore as a freshman. i think at ncsu greek life has been stigmatized into something that is horrible but in reality those that are involved with greek life have given more back to the community than your average college student. as for the dorms, i haven't lived in a dorm since my freshman year and even then i didn't live in your typical dorm. we did not leave our doors open because i lived at avent ferry so if our door was open, it was open to the outside and a complete stranger from the street could walk into our room unannounced. i feel that athletic events are extremely popular at ncsu, especially when the teams are doing well. i've met my closest friends through living in the dorm my freshman year as well as through my sorority. one of my closest friends is still my roommate from freshman year who did not join a sorority and we are still just as close as we were freshman year.

the majority of the professors in my major do know my name. my major isn't that small, but at the same time, my classes are small enough to the point where there is no reason for a teacher not to learn my name throughout the semester. class participation is common in classes because the majority of teachers make it required for part of your grade. as usual, you always have that one person that you want to stop talking because they waste more of the class participating than you've actually learned. i'd have to say my favorite class at ncsu has been ENT201 which was insects and people. dr. sorenson took the time out in the beginning of the semester to bring a camera and take pictures so he could put a name and a face with every student. this class was well over 150 people. not being a science oriented person, he made the understanding of insects something that was easy and seemed almost second nature. one of my least favorite classes at ncsu has been statistics. the class was very difficult because of the way it was taught due to the graduate student that was teaching it. there was not much room for error in this class.

Julie

The football stadium. Just right. It is a nationally recognized school and people usually respect that I go there. In my dorm. There is a lot of school pride, we may not be that good at a lot of sports, but still a lot of pride. Nothing unusual really. My first day of classes. I'm not sure what the most frequent student complaints are.

There is a lot of diversity around campus in all of these areas. I don't think anyone would really feel out of place at NCSU, there is a little bit of everything here. T-shirt and jeans, casual things. Yes all the time. Most students are from NC. I would say middle class students are most prevalent. A lot are politically aware and active, but I'm sure there are plenty of those who are apathetic to the whole political thing. No one really talks about how much they will earn, but they talk about how they want a good job that will support them.

No. My favorite class is E115. My least favorite is Chemistry. Some students in more difficult majors study all the time and others not so much. Class participation is common in most classes. Yes they have intellectual conversations. Students are competitive. I'm in First Year College, meanin I haven't declared a major yet. No. Some of the requirements are ok, but some I feel are pretty pointless. I think the education is greared toward both.

That everyone is really country, the "farmers."

There are a lot of sports teams and not a huge amount, but an ok sized greek life. I'm involved in a sorority. Students leave their doors open all the time. Athletic events like football and basketball are really popular, but others are attended as well. I met my closest friends in my dorm and through my sorority. Probably studying or hooked on some random tv show. There are different traditions around sporting events like the ram roast and homecoming. People's partying habits very, some every night, some just weekends, and some never or rarely. Greek life isn't that important around campus compared to its prevalence on some campuses. Went home. There's plenty of stuff to do around campus, there's movies, dinner, downtown, etc. Downtown is really fun.

Quinn

The best thing about NCSU is its students- it is a diverse group of students that are well rounded and supportive of the school and each other. There is definetly no lack in school pride here. The school itself is perfect size and I wouldn't change anything about it. I love it just the way it is. Raleigh is definetly a college town. It is fun, exciting, and full of opportunities for students.

Not all of my teachers know my name because some of the classes are fairly large; however in the smaller classes the professors usually know everyone.I feel like our academic requirements are at the perfect level to challenge us and to help us succeed in the real world.I do not spend time with my professors outside of class... Nor do I know anyone who does.

We are redneck, country people that all grew up on farms

The best thing about NCSU is the great college of Management I am enrolled in. One thing I would change would be repair the dorms, the elevators are always broken. NCSU is just the right size, not too big nor too small. When I tell people I go to NCSU people react normally like any other person would when you tell them where you attend school. I spend most of my time in the dorm because i live on campus currently. This is a college town but it is not as big and eventful as some other colleges. NCSU's administration tries to be involved as much as possible with campus life and students. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the death of UNC student body government Eve Carson. There is a lot of school pride but it is not anywhere near what it could be if all the students participated in school events. The only thing unusual about NCSU is all the crime that has been going on recently. One experience i will always remember is rooming with someone i had never met until move-in day. Most students complain about walking everywhere and fire drills all throughout the night/morning.

I do not like a lot of those types of groups because they are very close minded. I do not think anybody would feel out of place at nc state, we are very diverse. A lot of people wear comfty clothes to class. Everybody interacts with everybody! A lot of student that eat in the dining hall just eat with a few friends or their roommate. NCSU students are from everywhere around the country mostly south east though. Financial backgrounds are diverse as well. Most students are politically aware and active.

NC State is big on engineering and agriculture, but it has other colleges than just those two. NC States college of Management is a great college and well known but does not have a stereotype, so I guess a lot of people don't know about it. A lot of the students in agriculture have country accents, but that does not count everybody at NC State. UNC and NC State always go back and forth winning and losing so overall that stereotype is facts, but they change every season. And our campus is not boring; brick buildings are very nice and strong, but that might just be a personal opinion.

All students are country and farmers. We are not as good as UNC Chapel Hill, and we have a boring campus. A lot of the students are engineers.

Sororities and Fraternities are big on campus. I am involved with the Chi Omega sorority and it is amazing, they help keep your grades in check and still be able to go out with your friends/"sisters". I've noticed that people that live in a suite style dorm they leave their doors unlocked for short amounts of time. People that live in hall style dorms they lock their dorms everytime they leave their room. Basketball and football are big. My closest friends are my roomate, Chi O sisters, and people that i knew prior to college. My boyfriend i met before college as well but i know the dating scene is big and very open. I am normally awake at 2 am every morning and i am normally out with a few friends. Before big games we have pep rallies like before state plays unc. People party at least on the weekends. Last weekend i stayed with my boyfriend and went out to a few parties. I eat off campus and travel.

Some professors know my name but only in smaller classes. My favorite class was FLS 110 and my least favorite is FLS 201 because of the teachers. I believe students study habits vary, i study the day before a test unless it is a final. Class participation is common when a students grade depends on it. NCSU students converse all the time about intellectual subjects. Some students are competitive. The most unique class i have taken was an interactive music class. My major is international business and the college of management is amazing! They always are sending me emails of way to get involved with the college. I spend time with professor after class if i have any questions. I believe some academic requirements should not be required, only recommended. From what i know so far, i believe the education is towards getting a job.

Nick

NCSU is in Raleigh NC close to UNC and Wake Forest so it is very much a college town. The school is very large and I like it that way. When I tell someone that I go to NC State people in the state usually say they went there to because that is where most of the people from North Carolina go. People from out of state do not know too much about it but they usually realize that it is a good school. There is a lot of school pride here, and the fans are very good but sometimes very harsh. The only student complaints I usually hear are about sports but our athletics program is decent now but definitely on the rise, as most of the students know.

The student body is very diverse and can not be described as a whole. Most of the students here are from North Carolina.

No people believe that because we have a good agricultural program that is actually one of the nations top researchers in alternative fuels. Some of us did not go to UNC because we wanted to be Engineers. And yes there are some dumb people here because it is a state school and a certain number of people have to come from North Carolina

Only a few of my professors know my name because the school is so large and the classes our big. My favorite class is GC 120 which is a graphics class that all Engineers have to take. My least favorite class was English 101, I mean come on I am an Engineer I hate English. I am currently majoring in Civil Engineering. I like the department but have only taken a few of the Civil Engineering courses because first I have to get all my required Engineering classes out of the way (ex. Physics, Calculus, English).The education is definitely geared at getting a job. The school really helps you out with that by hosting one of the largest Engineering career fairs in the country with over 300 Engineering companies attending every year.

that we are dumb rednecks that couldn't get into UNC

Since the school is so big, the social life is great. Whatever your crowd is, you can definitely find here. If you like partying there are lots of parties. If you like to play video games there are lots of LAN parties. The list could go on. The guy to girl population is about 50/50.

The best thing about NCSU is the down home feel. I thought that moving from a small town to a large city would be really hard, but it's not. NCSU still has the southern hospitality and polite people in the big city. It's the best of both world - lots of shopping and really nice people. One of the most frequent student complaints is that we are always compared to UNC and that we are not as good as a school as them. In fact, our engineering school is one of our biggest colleges and our textile school is ranked, as well. People also forget about our vet school being one of the top in the nation.

The LGBT center here at NCSU did not go over very well with most of the students.

No. If you look at the way all of our students dress, we dress just like every other college. The majority ranges from very preppy to t-shirts and jeans. There are a few people that dress hippie, goth, punk, and redneck, but the majority is just like every other college.

The education at NCSU depends on which program. Some are geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake.

NCSU is viewed as the redneck school.

Alex

The best thing about NCSU is the campus activity. Theres always something going on. One thing I'd change is that theres always construction on campus. Like i said theres something always going on including updates and remodeling. I like new buildings but at the same time construction areas can be a hassel. I am from a very small town so i think NC States size is just right. My hometown is half the size of NC States population. When I am not in my dorm I am usually in central campus. Most of my classes are in the sciences labs so i spend alot of time there. There is alot of school pride. Although I think there could be more school spirit.

I live in a private dorm which doesnt allow me to eat at the dining hall. NCSU students come from all over. I have met alot of people from Raleigh and Charlotte however, just because i think they are large towns. I think there are lots of students who are politically active. I actually just registered to vote and have been watching the new reports on this election.

Half of my professors know my name. I am in 2 large classes which it would be impossible for the instuctor to learn all of our names. My favorite right now would definately be chemistry, its one of my larger classes so my professor doesnt know my name but i had him last semester for basinc chemistry too and really enjoyed his class. In the smaller classes class participation is very common. I know in my economics class and english we are always debating something within the class.

There are tons to things to get involved in! Right now i am a sister in Chi Omega and in the Student Wolfpack club. Most people on my hall in my dorm leave there doors cracked. If somethings going on (usually there is) we always go out into the hall to socialize. If i am awake at 2 am its usually because my roommate is keeping me awake. Which tends to happen alot! Last weekend i attended one of my dorms events. Because i live in a private dorm they hold events and parties usually once a month and this past weekend i attended their casino night.

I think the biggest stereotype about NC State and the students is that we hate UNC. Just because they are our biggest riveals does not mean we necessarily hate them. I plan on attended the school later but right now i am at ncsu.

North Carolina State University at Raleigh administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.