North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

Students at State are very diverse. I have had a great time learning about different peoples' backgrounds and preferences. I love the diversity here, I love meeting new people and learning different things. Three of my suite mates last year were born in other countries! I don't feel that any student would feel out of place at this school. Though, being from New York, I did have to have a good sense of humor to go along with the jokes. I did not find them offensive because I could tell that my friends were cracking jokes in good fun. Students wear anything from pajamas to sweats to dress pants to class. In the fall and spring, shorts and sundresses are a frequent choice of dress. There is generally not a large distinction between different groups of people at the dining hall. The most often occurrence that I would see at several tables is that girls and guys may sit separate on some days. I assume that its a "girl time"/"guy time" sort of thing. I know I like to have some time with my girls. Most of the students are from North Carolina. Middle Class students are most prevalent. Some students talk about how much they will earn one day, but not all.

Students at State are very diverse. There are students from almost every religious background, as well as students that differ in sexuality, class, gender, or race. State emphasizes the importance of diversity within a community and encourages students to be tolerant and respectful of people's beliefs that are different than their own. I do not believe any student would feel out of place at State. I am Catholic and feel more comfortable telling people this at State than I did at my private, Christian high school. Students wear a variety of clothes at state. What a person wears really depends on who he or she is. There are people who wear athletic clothes and others who wear jeans and a t-shirt. Overall, girls prefer to wear leggings with a t-shirt and boots of some kind. However, not every girl adheres to this. Many students at my university are politically aware. There are many organizations on campus that allow students to become politically active if they wish. State lives up to its promise of diversity. Everyone at State can fit in and not have to worry about discrimination.

Every once and a while you'll run into groups that you may not agree with, but they're just exercising their right to free speech. I don't mind all the groups on campus, as long as they don't get in my way when I'm trying to go to class. I don't feel left out, because there is a group for everyone on this campus. Students wear what they want to to class. Some where PJ's or sweat pants, some get all dressed up, its really your perogative. Everyone pretty much gets along really well, if you have a problem with someone, its really easy to just avoid them. Its a large campus. If there are only four tables in the dining hall,and I had to describe them, I'd say "there are four tables filled with students in the dining hall". People don't tend to segregate themselves. We're not in high school anymore. People at NCSU are from everywhere...really. I wouldn't say that financial backgrounds are prevelent unless that person lets you know. I'd have to say the campus as a whole is pretty conservative. Then again we are in the south.

Students are NC State University are some of the most diverse and globally involved that I have ever met. Everyone is very open and accepting of each other's orientations. There is an even mixture of in an out of state students as well as American and international students that comprise the body as a whole. There are certain cliques of students but no one presents themselves as mutually exclusive. With over 600 students clubs and registered organizations, students have the ability to meet others from all walks of life which really helps to enrich their college experiences. However, there have been difficulties with racism, vandalism, and discrimination like many universities deal with. To combat these unsettling behaviors, NC State has created candlelight vigils throughout the years, has made focus groups, and committees to help promote diversity among the campus. Generally the students feel safe, loved, and most importantly accepted regardless of background in any number of things.

NC State University has a very comfortable and down-to-earth student culture and population. There is no expectation to be dressed-up on a day-to-day basis and students can be seen all across campus at all times of the day. NC State University students are extremely aware of the current political, economic, and cultural issues and often have awareness events and speakers addressing issues across campus for students to get involved. There are over 600 organizations and clubs across campus that allow students of any interest to find a place to fit in and get involved in the community. The Wolfpack pride on campus is a special part of the the students' involvement. There are many events such as athletics where students of different backgrounds, fields of study, and ideology gather together in support of Wolfpack pride. The school spirit of the university makes it unique and exciting for every student and allows for every student to get involved and feel at home at the university.

I think NCSU has many different cultures present. Being in the Spanish major, I got the opportunity to interact with many native speakers, which was so helpful. Overall, I think the student body is very accepting of different racial, religious, socio-economic groups, etc. that are present on campus. The only students that I think would feel out of place there are UNC students. :) There is kind of a variety of what students wear to class. Some people feel the need to always look really nice when they go to class. I was more so the type of person to throw on jeans and a t-shirt or sweatpants just because I'd much prefer to be comfortable. From a political standpoint, it seems like State students are pretty well divided. There are a lot of liberals and a lot of conservatives and many students are very active and speak out about their political standpoints. Students definitely start talking about how much they'll earn when they get closer to graduation.

There are organizations and things for every type of person on this campus! It is hard to say that a certain type of student would feel out of place because there are so many ways to become involved! The attire of the student varies depending on his or her own personal style. All different types of students interact in either classes or in organizations. Even though there are many in-state students here, there is also a great mix of out-of-state individuals along with people from all different economic and racial backgrounds. When looking at four tables in the dining hall, all I see are groups of friends talking and having a good time. There are students from different political opinions, and Student Government is a great thing to get involved with if a student is really interested in politics. I would say most students talk more about what career path or job they would like to have in the future instead of just how much they'll earn some day.

At North Carolina State University, I think by now I have met people from every single State, and probably 2/3 of the world's countries. I have met from the confused study abroad student from Austria looking for the right bus, to the kid from the Carolina Mountains in my math class, to the Argentinian I played against in a soccer scrimmage. Being part of the Wolfpack makes it easy to meet so many new and interesting people, If you want a taste of the rich diversity, visit the student library, particularly the commons area and be ready to practice ANY foreign language you may know, because you are very likely to find somebody who does speak that language. However, nothing unites people from different races, religions, gender, financial backgrounds, nationalities, ethnicity, orientations than the winning touchdown against our historic rival, all under the chant of 'Go Wolfpack!'

I would have to say that there is one common stereotype for our school and that is that we the student body population is made up of southerners and rednecks. I believe this stereotype comes from the fact that we are located in the south and our school is known for our Agriculture Institute, which attracts a large population of students with agricultural interests. It just so happens that a lot of the students interested in the agricultural assets of the University are interested in farming, animals, and have come from a background or family that shares these interests. I guess the southern accents of the North Carolinians contributes to this stereotype as well. I do not believe this stereotype is accurate. I would not say our school necessarily has a "stereotype" because we have such a diverse student population. The whole student body cannot fit into one specific stereotype.

There are so many opportunities to meet people of diverse religions, backgrounds, races, and groups on NCSU's campus. NCSU is a big supporter of diversity and culture. I honestly believe that no student would feel out of place on NCSU's campus. That is what makes NCSU so great. The emphasis NCSU puts on diversity means any student can feel welcome and can find their place. Every student is different in some way. The cliques that existed in high school are no longer prevalent once you take a look around NCSU. Although most students are from various places around the United States, there are also many people from foreign countries that decide to attend NC State. I have met people from Egypt, Pakistan, Lebanon, Trinidad, and many other places just during my freshman year. Also, because of NCSU's big financial aid program, people of every kind of financial background are present.