North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

nice people

None

fun

There are all types of groups related to race, religion, etc. Campus crusade practically bombarded everyone to join them at the beginning of the year, this week we're having a Pan-Afrikan assembly, there are so many groups that are geared towards that kind of stuff. The only kind of student that would feel out of place at NCSU would be a UNC fan. Students wear everything to class, I've heard that the year before I came here there was a boy who wore underwear and a bowtie to class. I try to dress nicely so I wear a dress and heels on my nicer days and nice jeans and a shirt on my casual days. There are girls who I am friends with who I have never seen in anything other than oversized gym shorts and t-shirts. Guys wear anything from overalls to dress pants, there is no common style of dress. There is plenty of interaction between differents students. There is no real division among the lines of race or religion or anything else like that. Everyone is kind of friends with everyone. Most NCSU students are from North Carolina, with some from Virginia. There are a lot from Raleigh and Charlotte. I would say that the financial backgrounds are from average to above average, but there are always people who are less fortunate than others as well, and it seems that people are always willing to help them out if they can. Students are very much politically aware, and I would say that they are generally conservative, but that could very well be inaccurate simply because almost every single one of my friends is conservative so that is all I am exposed to.

NC State offers a very diverse student body who is actively concerned with promoting diversity awareness and recognition. As a southern university, NC State's campus has a stigma of being very conservative, however I believe this mindset is rapidly changing to a much more diverse political identity. There have been some issues of discrimination and "hate crime" activity toward certain groups on campus, but they have been rapidly denounced and handled by both student leaders and administration. NC State recently established a GLBT Center on campus to offer support to the GLBT community and their allies as well as promote awareness around campus. Financially, NC State has many more middle- to lower-class students than our rivals in Chapel Hill. In response, the financial aid office has developed a good level of assistance for students facing financial difficulty, especially through their PackPromise program which offers students whose families are at or below 150% of the poverty level a full covered education. I believe every type of student from any background would feel comfortable and be able to find their "place" here at NC State. The number of student organizations on campus offers an outlet for people of an enormous range of interests and lifestyles. For the most part, people are open and accepting and interact freely with one another regardless of race, socio-economic status, background, etc.

I have found NCSU to be a very open and safe place when it comes to racial and religious groups. Being an Africana studies minor, I have always felt comfortable in the classroom discussing the not always pretty details about sensitive racial social issues. I do not feel that any kind of student would feel out of place at NCSU because there are many diverse clubs and organizations for all nationalities, religions, hobbies, etc. on campus. This diverse student population also has no problem interacting with each other, I have found here. Most students, though, are from North Carolina and usually a middle class background. I believe that many students here, as at many universities, are politically aware and there are active clubs fro each political party. However, I would say that the majority of the students at NCSU are right-winged or center. While I have heard students talk about how much money they'll make one day, it is not an often occurrence.

I have not personally experience any blatant racial problems. However, they are there. Based on experience, I would say that any minority student would feel a level of displacement at NCSU. However, due to the vast amount of cultural organizations, they can always find a safehaven. During the summer, students wear flip fops, shorts, tanks, sundresses, t-shirt and jeans. In the fall, students wear flip flops, jeans and t-shirt. During the spring, its a combination of both summer and fall, depending on the weather. There are four tables of student in the dining hall: Table I- White Males, One Black Male, Table II-Black Girls, Table III: Black Boys, One White boy, Table IV: White Boys & Girls. Most students from NCSU are from North Carolina. The only students that are politically aware and active are student that are in Student Government and other Political Organizations on campus.

There are a lot of Asians on campus, some people I know call Avent Ferry Road, Asian Ferry. most students wear jeans and a t-shirt to class. Some business students dress up for classes and some textile students do as well, but for the most part it is a very casual look, almost too casual. For the most part, each race hangs out with its own race, we are fairly divided. This could possibly relate to the fact that it is a southern school with some southern ideals still. Four tables; blacks, whites, engineer boys, mix of boys and girls. Most students are from North Carolina. Most are from middle-lower class financially. A lot of students talk about what they'll earn one day. They are hoping that the higher education they are receiving now will benefit them in the future, and most likely it will.

There's often someone out in the brickyard preaching about something or other, and it can be pretty amusing listening to students arguing with them. Very diverse campus, don't think anyone would feel out of place, people are pretty chill, everyone wears bummy clothes to class (no dressing up all the time like Chapel Hill ;-)), most people are willing to talk and make lots of friends! There's a surprising number of students putting themselves through college, but many more depending on their parents. Most students seem to be from somewhere in NC.

There is a lot of diversity around campus in all of these areas. I don't think anyone would really feel out of place at NCSU, there is a little bit of everything here. T-shirt and jeans, casual things. Yes all the time. Most students are from NC. I would say middle class students are most prevalent. A lot are politically aware and active, but I'm sure there are plenty of those who are apathetic to the whole political thing. No one really talks about how much they will earn, but they talk about how they want a good job that will support them.