North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

The students come from a wide variety of backgrounds. NC State's campus is very diverse and aims for diversity. If you were to look at a group of kids in the dining hall, picture every possible scenario of the different types of people that are sitting with others. Seriously. We have a multitude of organizations that cater to every ethnicity here. We even have agricultural awareness week with cows, chickens and John Deer tractors in the middle of the Brickyard. You also get every type of financial background. I will say, I believe it is mostly middle class but you do have all types. People do talk about how much they will earn each day. Not necessarily their wage, but their annual salary. They want to aim big, which means they want to be successful, which means they want to do well in their courses.

There are clubs geared towards almost any lifestyle, hobby, or interest here. There is a LGBT community and they celebrate and raise awareness for diversity every semester, and it is no different for any other group! Most students are very open minded here, although, there are always going to be the few closed minded and intolerant people on any campus. There are the "nerds" who play a zombies attack game on campus, "preps" who dress up every day for class, "hipsters" and "skaters" who spend a lot of time in the brickyard riding skateboards and doing tricks to impress girls walking past, "rednecks" who drive their big and loud trucks around, and every other stereotypical example of types of students. It is a very diverse campus and that is what is great about NCSU.

The students on this campus are so diverse that it is hard to have a set description for them. On any given day you can spot out someone new and different from the day before. Since the university is so big it allows for students of all types of backgrounds and interact with each other. No friendship is a surprise to me on this campus, because the university sets such a warm and welcoming atmosphere that anyone can be friends. I really don't think that anyone could feel out of place on this campus, especially since there is an organization for everybody here. Although, there will be differences between students, their pride for NC State and determination to succeed helps to bring everyone together.

I would describe the student population of NCSU to be a true melting pot. Diversity at our school extends beyond appearances and lifestyles because there is such a mixture of ideals, beliefs, and practices amongst all of the students. To be honest, with such a variety of students, sometimes tensions can arise; however, I have personally always felt safe on my campus and I know that my administration has a no-nonsense approach to all forms of discrimination. In actuality, I appreciate the blend of students here at NC State because it provides another area of growth as students are taught how to be more culturally competent and ready for an always growing world.

At North Carolina State University, I have gotten to experience true diversity for the first time. There are students from all around the country as well as students from other countries. I have had the opportunity to meet a variety of students stemming from different backgrounds and cultures, who educated me about their lifestyle. On my first day on campus, I met students from North Carolina as well as from the Netherlands. This showed me how diverse this campus was and I was in love with NCSU again! All the students here do share one thing in common though, which is being apart of the Wolfpack!

If you are wanting to go to a college that respects diversity, NC State is the place for you. They do not tolerate any injustice toward diversity. They have a week dedicated diversity. There are very diverse students at State. I think State is very welcoming to any type of student. A lot of students are from North Carolina and specifically from the triangle area. However, there are also a lot of out-of-state students as well. From my experiences, I see a lot of both. There are students from every walk of life in terms of financial backgrounds, political backgrounds, and future plans.

My classmates are very determined and focused on their education. To acheive the degree they want is very challenging because there is a tremendous amount on competiveness within their chosen degree. Being accepted out of so many applicants for their chosen course of study makes them take their educational studies to a higher degree. This is the beginning of a life time choice, and I feel they all have a common sense of pride as they strive hard to make their and others future better. In one word I could describe them all as "dedicated".

All the students at NC State are friendly and energetic. I still havent met a person who isn't friendly enough to say hey on the street, or have time to grab a bite to eat. The students here are focues on having fun in school, rather than wasting it all away. almost everyone is active in at least one club. Most of the students are from North Carolina, but we have a lot that come from out of state as well. Because the campus is so big, you'll always have opportunities to meet new people and expand your networking experience.

Overall, my classmates are great. I was nervous coming in as a transfer student because I felt out of my element but I've made some good friends in the last year and look forward to meeting even more in the coming year. My best advice is to find someone - faculty or staff - in whom you can confide about your fears. Speak to someone before social anxiety or classwork overwehlms you. Having a strong family support system helps a lot especially when you're out-of-state.

Like I said earlier, the student body at state is very diverse. There are people from so many different backgrounds and so many different personalities that you never know who you'll find. NC State as a whole is very focused on diversity and supports a campus community that is open to every student; because of this many different religious, political, social opinions, etc. are expressed comfortably and this expression is actually encouraged.