North Carolina State University at Raleigh Top Questions

Alyssa

Our pre-professional clubs are probably the most popular, two of which are our pre-vet and pre-health programs.

Allison

Many students at State are involved in greek life. There are members of sororities and fraternities all over campus. There are also a lot of varsity, club, and intramural sports to choose from. There are also numerous amounts of different kinds of clubs for students to become involved in. Athletic events are extremely popular, especially when we play UNC. Students definitely leave their doors open because it helps people to meet new people and make friends. NC State also allows for students to keep a book where they record all of the traditions that they have participated in. On a Saturday night, a person does not have to drink to have a good time. There are parties on the weekends, but there is also a campus movie theater, plays, sporting events, and other activities that go on during the weekend. If a student wants to go off campus, there is a lot to do in Raleigh, such as go to a club or go out to eat. There are so many different activities that one can do on campus.

Allison

Abby

Welcome Week, Homecoming, Football games; depending on where you live, doors stay open, people party every weekend, frats/sororities aren't as important to NCState as it is at other schools its only about 11{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population

Casey

I'm involved in Club Gymnastics which is a competitive program. You do not have to compete to be on the team. There are students from all different backgrounds, and levels of gymnastics. They are a very welcoming, friendly, and supportive group of students. Yes, some students leave their dorm doors open, especially if there is a suite door that locks. In that case many students leave their dorm doors unlocked. Athletic events, guest speakers, and theater are very popular and frequently attended. The football and basketball games are the most popular athletic events. I don't know much about the dating scene, many students are in a relationship, many are not. I met my boyfriend through a friend at the beginning of my freshman year. I met my closest friends in different ways. One I lived with in my suite last year, another I met in math class, and then my boyfriend I met though my friend from math class. At 2am on a Tuesday, if I am awake I am generally doing homework or studying. There are many traditions on campus. Two examples are Cates Crawl where campus organizations set up tables and booths along Cates Ave and RecFest where recreational clubs and sports set up booths and games and free prizes and food in Miller Fields. You can sign up for and get information at both of these events. The amount of partying depends on the student. I personally rarely party, but I know that some students party rather often. Fraternities and Sororities are not very important but are definitely have a large presence on campus. Many are very community service and major based. Last weekend I worked at a local gymnastics facility, went bowling, spent the day with my boyfriend for Valentines Day and went to gymnastics practice. On a Saturday night you can go bowling, hang out with friends, movies, Downtown to clubs for dancing, University sponsored socials, etc. Off campus I enjoy going hiking around Umstead, running and biking around Jordan lake, movies, museums etc.

Casey

Casey

Casey

Kaitlin

Student activities and groups geared toward anyone's interests here are never hard to find. There is, what seems to be an endless, number of clubs or student groups here that one should have no problem finding a group of friends with similar interests. Greek life is definitely not huge on this campus, but it continues growing and has an astounding impact on campus through all of the philanthropic and awareness events. Athletic events are unanimously the most popular activity at NCSU; the campus turns to a ghost town whenever there is a game because it seems the entire student population has migrated to the tailgating fields!

Kaitlin

Sakinah

The most popular students activities/groups are religious groups, fraternity and sorority groups, and activity and advocacy groups like NAMI and Union Activities board.

Joan

NC State has over 400 student organizations (for example: religious/ spiritual groups, social/political groups, cultural groups, media, recreational/athletic, academic, Greek, etc) so there isn’t really one organization that it’s more popular than the others. The fact that we have so many organizations is great, because students are able to find an organization that they are interested in.

Jasmine

The most popular events on campus are definitely sporting events. Game day is easily an all day event from tailgating to the celebration after a win. In addition to games, events held by the Union Activities Board (UAB), like Wolfpack Welcome Week, are normally attended by the majority of students on campus. With hundreds of student organizations, every student can find at least one group that interests them. For students living on campus, there are always events occurring in their residence halls.

Ranya

Whether it's football, basketball, or soccer, atheltics are huge at NC State!

Hampton

The biggest and most popular student events are without a doubt football tailgates. Lots fill up almost immediately and in order to get a preferable spot, students line up starting around 3 hours in advance.

Maria

I think some of the most popular student activities are IM sports, Club sports, service groups, groups geared toward your individual major, and many more. NC State had hundreds of student organizations to be a part of.

Megan

Some of the most popular organizations on campus are the Pre-Health Club, the Student Wolfpack Club, and CSLEPS. A lot of the student population are involved in Greek Life. Intramural sports are also very popular amongst students. The football team is definitely the most popular team to watch on campus because we tend to be good. One of the organizations I am involved with is the University Ambassador Program, in which I am the face of the University and give campus tours to prospective students. I would say that the night life, athletic events, and University traditions are the most popular activities for people to get involved in. Some traditions include the Krispy Kreme Challenge, Wolfpack Welcome Week, Homecomming Week, and Cate's Crawl. If I am on campus, I am either hanging out in the Brickyard grabbing a bite to eat or in the library grabbing coffee. When I go off campus, I am usually grabbing a bite to eat with friends, seeing a movie, or going shopping. If it is a 2 AM on a Tuesday, I am either just relaxing with some friends and talking, or keeping to myself and listening to music and surfing the internet.

Justin

If you ask me, the population of our school makes every student group popular! With over 300 student organizations and more than 33,000 students, every club or organization has a hefty amount of members. Personally, I have joined student groups focused on professional development, as well as social groups for the shear fun of meeting other students like myself. In addition to these organizations, there are also a ton of university wide activities that bring everyone together. My favorites include Wolfpack Welcome Week, the Pan Afrikan Festival, Camping Out for NCSU v. UNC Basketball Tickets, Shack-a-Thon, and the Krispy Kreme Challenge. If you ask me, every weekend is a good weekend at NCSU, you just have to decide what's on your agenda.

Vyanh

Because our school is so large, there are a lot of clubs (over 400). There is something to do for everyone. I myself have started a club and it has been great. Besides just participating in clubs, there is also greek life that students can be part of. Students at NCSU not only participate in events that are part of the school, many students also go off and do there own activities. Many students will volunteer at the hospital or help out in the community. NCSU is also located in Raleigh, the capitol, so there is always something to do. Students can go the mall, hang out at great restaurants, go see movies, and much more.

Christina

There are so many different organizations on campus! There are over 600 student organizations along with intramural sports, club sports, varsity teams, Greek life, and much more. One group I am involved with is the Nutrition Club. I am able hear people from different careers in the field of Nutrition when they come and speak to us about their particular job and career path. I am also involved with the University Scholars program where I attend forums and take honors classes. Residence halls are a wonderful way to meet a lot of people by just leaving your door open or saying hey to someone while passing them in the hall. The athletic events are awesome here at State! The RBC center and Carter Finley Stadium houses the men's basketball and football teams. It is fun to have school spirit and hang out with your friends at different sporting events. The Wolfpack Club is also a great opportunity to get involved where you attend all different non-revenue sporting events as well. President Obama was our most recent speaker a few weeks about and he spoke at our Reynolds Coliseum, which also houses women's volleyball, women's basketball, men's wrestling, and all four branches of the ROTC. If you are awake at 2am on a Tuesday you are in the library studying, eating our homemade Howling Cow Ice Cream from the creamery, or hanging out with your friends in your residence hall. Each year shackathon happens in the brickyard, which is where students build and live in shacks for a week to raise money for Habitat for Humanity. Also, homecoming week each year is a great time to get free food or shirts and show some school spirit. Greek life only consists of about 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the students here on campus. If someone would like to join, it is a great opportunity to meet new people, but it is also not necessary. Last weekend I went to the N.C. State vs. UNC football game, and proudly watched our team win! On Saturday night, while not drinking, you can attend a movie at our campus theater, see a play put on by your fellow students, or eat on Hillsborough Street, which is right on campus and has a large variety of restaurants and even a bowling alley. Off campus, the city of Raleigh is right down the street, and there are many restaurants along with an Imax theater and much more!

Christina

John

The best place to meet people is at a Football game, simply because everyone is there to be your best friend, especially when we win!

John

Sharon

From what I've seen, service clubs and organizations tend to be the most popular on campus. During the beginning of the semester there are a lot of club fairs and places to sign up for the different organizations on campus. Greek life is popular, but there are definitely a lot of students who are still active on campus and who are not involved in a fraternity/sorority. During my freshman year I met a lot of my friends through the dorm that I lived in. I would highly recommend living on campus for any incoming freshmen.

Sandhya

Some of the most popular activities on campus would have to be the athletic events. The athletic events allow for everyone to come together for one cause, to support NC State. During football season all you will see in the stands is a sea of red and white and it is such a good feeling seeing all of the support for our school. There is even a good support system for the non-revenue sports, implemented by the Student Wolfpack Club, one of the biggest organizations on campus. With so many different organizations being available to join on campus, it has hard to say what is the most popular. I think it all depends on what you would prefer to do. There is ALWAYS something going on here on campus.

Justin

Justin

Alyssa

Athletics are an extremely important aspect of NC State University because of the sense of pride and support for the Wolfpack teams. Tickets to the athletic events are always on high demand and there are rivalries between other teams in North Carolina that make the events competitive and thrilling. NC State University has numerous athletic facilities such as the RBC Center and Carter-Finely Stadium where the Wolfpack teams are showcased every season with enormous student sections and a sea of red people engulfing the stadium seats. NC State University students share a great deal of pride in the athletic teams and support the teams through wins and losses. The Krispy Kreme Challenge is a unique tradition started at NC State University by a group of Park Scholars 8 years ago. The challenge is to run 2.5 miles from the Memorial Bell Tower on Main Campus to the Krispy Kreme Store in Downtown Raleigh then consume a dozen (yes, 12!) doughnuts then run back to the Memorial Bell Tower. This all has to be completed in under one our to successfully complete the challenge. All of the proceeds of the event go to the UNC Children's Hospital, and over $122,000 were raised at last years event. This event gathers thousands of NC State students for a common cause and serves as a prominent NC State tradition for years to come.

Alyssa

Lindsay

Most popular organizations are probably fraternities and sororities. I never really participated much in on campus organizations because of so many things going on outside of school. I would highly recommend living in a dorm freshman year. I lived in Owen and loved the hall style because we all left our doors open and would just hang out with each other whenever. I met a lot of people that way. Athletic events are huge and so much fun. Even though we haven't had any really great sports teams in the last several years, games are always fun. Tailgating during football season is definitely my favorite. Be careful with underage drinking out there though because ALE walk around a lot. I had a boyfriend for my first couple of years at State so I didn't really get into dating much until my last couple of years. There are tons of single people though, so if you go out you'll definitely meet lots of people. I met my closest friends in my dorm freshman year and through some of those friends. I would highly recommend doing study abroad because I made really good friends through that too. Also, in a couple of my classes I made some pretty good friends. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday I'm probably either just coming home from being out or procrastinating on writing a paper or something. Krispy Kreme challenge is one of the big events that I think is usually in January- it's lots of fun and tons of people do it. You can find people partying pretty much anytime, which can be a good or bad thing I guess.

Caitlin

In college, although academics come first, having a social life is very important. Greek life is a large part of our campus, but it doesn't necessarily run things. If you aren't in a fraternity or sorority, it doesn't mean you won't be able to socialize just as often. There's almost always a party, except during exams. You just have to find your balance of how much partying you can take. You'll learn that you don't have to go to every party. If you need to stay in your room or the library that night to study, don't go party. That's the number one thing some college students tend to forget. If you like going out, but prefer not to drink, don't feel pressured. In college, people aren't concerned about you & what you're doing and the majority of people won't try to make you drink. However, if you would rather not go to a party where there is drinking, there are plenty of people who like to just hang out back at the dorms or go to a movie or the mall.

Cam

I'll tell one of the greatest things about NCSU is the intramural sports program. From what I've heard its one of the best that any colleges have to offer but since I dont have any personal experience to compare with... But, it is pretty awesome, they really seem to have their stuff together.

Andy

There are sooooooo many activities to get involved in. Christian organizations, greek life is huge, guest speakers. People party a lot, but it all depends on who you want to be. Not everyone goes out at night, and that is true for any college.

Chris

The most popular: groups: WITH,STAT,Alumini Association Student Ambassadors organizations: STAT, SG teams: Football,Basketball,Baseball I'm involved with Black Finesse Modeling Troupe (BFMT), a competive modeling troupe on campus that participate in neighboring competitions. Founded on May 24, 1994,Black Finesse's mission is to promote positive images of African Americans on campus by using techniques of modeling. It's dedicated to increasing its members' poise, personality, and confidence. As a member of Black Finesse, you are not only a model. You're part of a team, a family. BFMT brings more to the stage than common runway walking. Students usually always leave their doors open. Being an ACC school, athletic events are extremely important. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm most likely at the library studying for my 8am class. Traditions that happen each year are: Taste of NC State, Homecoming Parade, Wear Red, Get Fed, Native American Pow Wow, Pan-Afrikan Festival, Wolfpack Welcome Week, Shack-A-Thon, Red Bell Tower(where the bell tower is lit upred, when we win games), and Ultimate All-Night Bash. People party Wed-Sun. It all depends on the person; greek life can be very important. Last weekend I went to a pool party. On a Saturday, there's always a house party, themed club event, or just the movies (Campus Theatre) to go to, in which you don't have to drink.

alicia

There are sororities and fraternities, but they're not too big of a deal at NCSU. Football games are usually sold out, very rowdy and fun. There seem to be guest speakers every week for my major, not sure about all the others... There's always multiple parties going on on Friday and Saturday nights in each apartment complex off campus, and it's not uncommon for people to party in the middle of the week too. I heard that people leave their dorm rooms open, never stayed in the dorms myself...

Owen

I'm in the NCSU marching band as well as pep band. Although it's a time consuming activity and it is, at times, physically exhausting, being in the band has been my best college experience so far. The friends I made in band are now what I consider my family. I met well over 100 people simply through band, which really helped me as a freshman to feel welcome in college. Athletic events are really popular at NC State, because there are so many people with many different athletic interests, so there are always crowds at every event. The best campus traditions are the Krispy Kreme Challenge, where you run 4 miles and eat 10 donuts for charity, the Ram Roast, a "tribute" to our hated Tarheel neighbors, and the Big Event, where the school rallies in support of our men's basketball team as they play Duke away from home. Partying at NCSU is also very big. The party scene is massive, with parties taking place on weekends almost everywhere imaginable. Almost everyone I know attends parties every weekend. Although the party scene is big, drinking is not mandatory. I do not drink and yet I still attend parties with my close friends, because they respect my moral decisions and do not pressure me.

Carey

People party every day of the week. There's something going on every night if you know where to look. Almost everyone goes to football games. They're tons of fun, and now that they're easing up on tailgating restrictions, that's getting much better. The Hillsborough Hike happens on the last friday of classes every semester. The goal is for students and alumni 21 and up to start at one end of Hillsborough street and end at the other, having one drink at each bar. Nobody makes it the whole way, but you see everyone you've ever met before and have a great night before finals start.

Erin

I am not sure if there are any "popular" organizations on campus. It is too large to have something that is popular. I lived in a suite-style dorm my first year. To tell the truth suite style is like gambling. If you get good suitemates you will have the best time of your life. If not, it is a very awkward situation. I was not lucky enough to have many good suitemates and am choosing to live on a hall next year. Athletic events are really popular. I meet my closest friends in my suite, engineering classes, and through other friends. There is always a party to go to. On Saturday nights I usually hang out with my friends at the movies, go shopping, or go out dancing.

Steven

In hall style dorms, almost everyone leaves the door open. Suite styles are not quite as welcoming, but are still usually welcoming to people. Our athletic events are very popular, even when the team is doing poorly. NCSU has a lot of guys... unless you're in humanities or liberal arts, there won't really be too many women. Meredith college and St Mary's (two women-only colleges) are more relevant to our dating scene for some people. There isn't any established music scene, though you can find any different group you want. If I'm awake at 2 am, which I usually am, I'm probably going to be hanging out at friend's dorm room.

Laura

The most popular organizations are STAT (Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow), all Greek life is very popular, the club sports are popular, there are tons of clubs who a couple of times each year set up booths on the brickyard to get people to join. Pretty much anything that you're interested in, there is a club for it. I am a sister in the Alpha Kappa chapter of Chi Omega. It was the best decision I ever made to rush a sorority. I would never have seen myself becoming a sorority girl, to be honest I have no idea what compelled me to rush, but I would absolutely encourage every person to try to join greek life, no matter what "social group" they think they're in. 99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the stereotypes about greek life are completely inaccurate, but it's difficult to explain that to people who are not involved in greek life because they can never know how amazing it is if they are not involved. Some students leave their doors not only unlocked, but wide open, even when they're not there, and then there are students like me who lock it even when I'm in the room with other people. It is just a matter of how comfortable people are. However, I would say that my overprotectiveness is not really necessary, there have never been any breakins to the dorms or any people there who should not have been. The athletic events are incredibly popular, students sign up for tickets as soon as they're available and the games completely consume the campus. There is a movie theater on campus right down the street from my dorm that is incredibly popular as well. I'm not sure about the dating scene because I have a boyfriend that I started dating years ago, so I'm not involved in that scene. My closest friends are my roommate, and then the others are just girls down the hall that I got to know just by close proximity. If I'm up at 2am on a Tuesday I am either at a party or up studying late with my girls in my room or the study lounge down the hall from my dorm room. A big tradition each year is homecoming, there is a whole week of festivities and it's a ton of fun, and Greek Week is a big deal with all of greek life. There are competitions and cookouts and it brings all the greeks together in a great atmosphere. The partying is subjective to each person. Its kind of like its available if you want it, but its not pushed on you if you don't want it. Greek life is incredibly important from my perspective. We, as greeks, provide some of the best philanthropic opportunities on campus, we get students involved, we make students aware of important issues on campus like voting for the student government. NCSU would not be nearly the same school without the involvement of our great greek life. Last weekend I went to a party close to campus Friday night, had an all day greek event Saturday, went out for one of my sisters birthdays Saturday night, and went to church on Sunday. On Saturday nights there is always the option to go to parties and not drink, it's not like you're going to be hassled if you don't drink, and if you feel weird not holding something to sip on, have a cup of water or soda in your hand, it's not like you're going to be treated as some weirdo for not drinking. You can always go to the campus cinema which plays great movies all the time, you can go out to some restaurants near campus, or go bowling. There are places to ice skate near campus and a lot of students spend their whole nights just walking around their dorm buildings meeting people which is a lot of fun as well. Off campus I have a lot of friends to hang out with since I grew up in this area, but for people who didn't grow up here there are restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, skating parks, parks to run in and paddle boat in, gyms to work out it, great movie theaters and pool halls, there is a ton of stuff to do off campus.

Catherine

I am involved in the Sigma Kappa Sorority. It has changed my life and has offered great community service opportunities. I met my closest friends through joining a sorority and have expanded my friendships to many other sororities on campus and beyond. On weekends, I typically go to friends houses or apartments and socialize.

Hannah

The most popular organizations on campus would probably have to be greek life. I myself and a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority. The students who live in dorms definitely do not leave their doors open. Athletic events are enormously popular, especially football games with all the tailgates. If i am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, i am probably about to leave the bar. I would say that people party alot at State, probably up to 4 or 5 times a week, especially when school begins. If you dont want to drink on a Saturday you can go see a dollar movie and the student cinema! Off campus i do alot. Since i am from Raleigh i go shopping alot and eat dinner downtown and in town.

Paige

I joined the Greek system at NCSU because I have had cousins and sibblings join and love it. NCSU is considered a small Greek system but it is definately expanding. I enjoy both the fun, social aspects of Greek life and just the simple times staying at home watching movies with my sisters. I really like that athletic events are big here. I knew I wanted a big ACC school. Although, it is disappointing that we cannot seem to win. NCSU has a good dating scene because it has a fairly even boy to girl ratio.

sarah

Greek life at NC State is amazing, and is growing year by year. As of now we have 8 panhellenic sororities and even more fraternities. We are a close-knit community and are always hosting fun events and functions. The University has just broken ground on the new Greek Court, and the redevelopment should be complete within a few years. I met my best friends, my bridesmaids, and the people I will never forget by going Greek. You can always find something fun going on with the Greeks here at State.

Claire

i love being a sorority because i needed to find close friends since i am so used to a small school i felt out of place, but now i have people who i consider my best friends at school

Alison

Students are very open and receptive to others.

Hannah

sports are fun, as well as greek life

Cody

There are a wide array of activities to get involved in on campus. I have personally enjoyed being a member of Greek Life. It has given me the oppurtunity to get involved in a leadership role within greek life and also meet a great group of girls. I love attending the athletic events, I feel they are a great time to socialize with friends and cheer for the wolfpack. I have also found that there are plenty of activies to do that do not involve drinking, particularly the discount-priced movies that are shown in the campus cinema.

Katie

I love the raleigh area. I think there is alot to do in this area. But as for activities, I transfered from UNCW and I was much more involved in on campus activites than I am now. I think at smaller schools they are able to let students know whats going on and how to get involved. Here, I barely know what is going on.

Katie

i am a greek and i think they are looked down on here by administration