North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

The nature of their curriculum was the worst aspect of NC state, in my opinion. It was a school that was in bed with industry, and as such, one that tailored their degrees to include coursework related to jobs. All of my chemistry courses were taught by researchers wanting patents, for example. To many people this would have been a good thing, but in my opinion, an undergradaute degree is about exploring a diversity of subject areas to become more deeply aware of the current state of knowledge, before venturing to further specialize in that area.

Probably the worst thing at State is its atmosphere. Unlike other Divison 1, top institutions, there just does not seem to be the same level of school pride here. We lack traditions that everyone can really stand behind. Also, we lack the essential college town atmosphere that many other schools have. With living in the middle of a big city, North Carolina's capital, there are so many distractions that take away from NCSU could be. There just doesn't seem to be the amount of city wide support that could take Wolfpack pride to the next level.

There really is not a "worst" thing about my school, but if I could change anything, it may be the campus' physical feature..the campus is very spread out in comparison to a few others that I visited. Getting to class takes a hike of about 1/4 mile+ each morning. However, this should be considered a health benefit, since I start my day with a brisk walk, then another, then another, until I have finished my day with over five miles covered each and every day. Update..I now have a bicycle on campus! Ride on Pack!!

The only negative thing that comes to mind when I think about this university is the construction that's going on around campus. The dump trucks and construction equipment that drive through leave a mess on the roads and sidewalks. It's a petty complaint and really doesn't effect my academics. The improvements they're making to our student center are really giving us something to look forward to, the projected plans are breathtaking and I'm really excited for all the new dining options that will be available.

If you ask most of my BS Chemistry class what would they do if they could do it all over again, most would say not chemistry. Part is due to hearing from other people who go to other schools in the same feild are having no problems with subjects that our student population is having problems with by learning from the top in that field. Our teachers are geniuses and we do not think at the same level. The number one problem is the need to understand what our teachers are trying to teach us.

The worst thing about my school would be the dorms. The dorms should be renovated. I understand that are major budget cuts within the University, but a lot of the dorms are outdated and gross. My main concern of the dorms, are the bathrooms. The showers and toilets are appalling. Also, the lighting of the bathrooms are not adequate. There are usually only one small light within each bathroom. This makes it hard on the eyes to focus, especially when looking in the mirror.

I would say the worst thing about the school would be that there is a lot of construction going on, and the University was placed within a city instead of a city being based around the college. So while there is a lot of bars and clubs down town and surrounding businesses, many times I find that there isn't a lot of community support for NC State. In addition I feel that Hillsborough Street, the main street around campus could really use redesign and overall improvement.

The worst thing about my school would be the large class sizes. In the little time that I have been here all my classes have been held in lecture halls with 100 or 200 plus people with the exception of labs. Because of this, its hard to really get to know your professors and its also hard for the professor to change his teaching to meet the needs of the class. You don't really get that intimate feeling as if you had classes with only 50 or less students. It's all a blur!

The worst thing about NC State is the average large class size. Although I was aware of the massive population of over 30,000 students before attending, I think it is a better learning environment to have small classes where professors get to know students and connect with them on a personal level. Some classes are small though, and those classes are the ones that I can talk to a teacher, understand them and potentially receive recommendations from in the future.

The worst thing at my school is probably the amount of students who do not value education as they should. Education is something that should be deeply valued, for it is a privilege, not a right. There are so many people in the world who are not given the opportunity to attend such a pretigious university but yet there are people who are given this opportunity and instead of cherishing it and making the most of it, they take if for granted. This is sad.