North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

NC State is known for its engineering as well as agriculture majors. As an engineer, I see how this school is geared towards those who are more articulate in the math and science fields. Students from all over the county come to NCSU for engineering specifically. Some believe that if they are not strong enough in those areas, NC State is not the school for them. Wrong. NC State offers a wide range of disciplines in which each field is a state of the art. Let's take pre-health as an example. We do not offer pre health but we have a track one can follow. We are compared to UNC-CH when it comes down to the medical side of things. People believe if they want to go to medical school, they need to go to Chapel Hill. That is an excellent school for medicine but our biological science are just as competitive. We have a Doctor hear who reviews all your courses, grades, activities and writes an outstanding letter of recommendation for med school. Also, a student at NCSU has a better chance of getting into UNC Med School over a Chapel Hill student.

There is a very mistaken stereotype of NC State University that a majority of the students were once hopefuls to attend UNC Chapel Hill but were unable to get admitted. From personal experience, this is not an accurate stereotype since I neither applied to Chapel Hill or wanted to go Chapel Hill and many of my close friends and scholars have the same experiences. NC State University is a school of math, science, technology, and engineering, and the staff at NC State University continue to do a fantastic job of recruiting some of the nation's most intelligent and motivated students to join our family. NC State University is geared toward the STEM studies that cannot be rivaled by many schools, and our students are dedicated to our university and their success. Keep in mind, our students choose NC State University for the competitive academics, down-to-earth social life, and school spirit rather than a back-up school.

A common stereotype tends to be that all of our students are enrolled in the College of Engineering; therefore, it may appear as if all other programs and students are "not as important." This is not true in any way. In actuality, one of the qualities that attracted me to NC State was the ability of the university to make sure that every student, regardless of their interests, experiences a tailored and exciting education. While the College of Engineering may be the largest at our university, it does not cast a shadow over the more than 300 student organizations, or programs tailored to my major. My experiences in the department of biology have included working in a laboratory, pre-health clubs, and various outings amongst the thousands of other students in my program. With more than 33,000 students, there is no doubt that you'll run into people with similar interests and goals.

I would have to say that there is one common stereotype for our school and that is that we the student body population is made up of southerners and rednecks. I believe this stereotype comes from the fact that we are located in the south and our school is known for our Agriculture Institute, which attracts a large population of students with agricultural interests. It just so happens that a lot of the students interested in the agricultural assets of the University are interested in farming, animals, and have come from a background or family that shares these interests. I guess the southern accents of the North Carolinians contributes to this stereotype as well. I do not believe this stereotype is accurate. I would not say our school necessarily has a "stereotype" because we have such a diverse student population. The whole student body cannot fit into one specific stereotype.

Most people think that all students at State are rednecks or just kids that did not get in to UNC. This cannot be farther from the truth. State has a lot of diversity, more than even I thought they would have. Yes there are "country" kids, but there are just as many "city" kids and other kids from all walks of life. State has some of the most intelligent kids I know. I was fifth in my class in high school and thought college would be somewhat of a breeze. I am a science major at NC State. The sciences at State are very, very challenging. Yes, you can make an A, but only if you put in the work. If you want to be number one in your class at NC State, you better work harder than everyone else, because there are many kids are who are just flat out smarter than anyone I have ever met.

Most people NC State University as full of either farmers and agriculture majors, or people who will change the world with their engineering degrees. Since our school was founded on those two practices, and we receive coveted awards for engineering, people assume that is all we are known for. We are comprised of a great deal of engineers so that aspect of the stereotype is correct, but we are also strong in our life sciences and liberal arts majors. Many see our students as hicks who love farming but we are actually full of diverse students around the world with many cultural rich backgrounds. Every school has their stereotypes and sometimes they are playful and fun, but when it comes to serious terms, they need to be devoid of attention and facts need to be looked at.

NC State has a special connection to agriculture, since it was found as a land-grant institution. Therefore, we have a large and well-known agricultural program; because of this, people think that all the students at NC State are farmers, which is inaccurate. NC State has a very diverse student population and a variety of well known programs, like the College of Design, Textiles and the Engineering program. We also have a good School of Education and a great College of Humanities and Social Sciences. NC State is a pretty diverse institution; we have a diverse student body and also offer a variety of programs for students to choose from.

In the 'Triangle' region, North Carolina State University students are often stereotyped as conservative, farm boys and engineering students. I would not say this stereotype is accurate at all, in my case I am a Colombian student in the Liberal arts department, thus not very well fit into the common stereotype. NC State has over 34,000 students, making us the biggest university in the state of North Carolina, walk into the common area of our student library and the first thing you will hear about 10 different languages and 50 different accents while you look for a computer to use.

The stereotypes include mostly that we are "hicks" since agriculture is a large part of our school. N.C. State started as an agriculture and engineering school in the 1800s, but that does not mean those are State's only strengths. The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is very large along with the Engineering school, but the College of Humanities and Social Sciences is also very dominate. Just because State started primarily with agriculture does not mean we are just hicks.

I've heard people say that students that attend NC State only attended the school as a back up for not getting in to the university of their choice. I disagree with this stereotype because NC State happened to be my #1 choice for college. The university is an excellent choice for furthering your education, and provides a wide range of opportunities that I don't think you could receive anywhere else.