North Carolina State University at Raleigh Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Alyssa

The stereotype at my school tends to be Agriculture major stereotypes, like cowboys, or hillbillies...I find it to be relatively acturate.

Santiago

The stereotype of students at NC State is that we are rednecks. I feel like this stereotype is inaccurate.

Ryan

Most people think that all students at State are rednecks or just kids that did not get in to UNC. This cannot be farther from the truth. State has a lot of diversity, more than even I thought they would have. Yes there are "country" kids, but there are just as many "city" kids and other kids from all walks of life. State has some of the most intelligent kids I know. I was fifth in my class in high school and thought college would be somewhat of a breeze. I am a science major at NC State. The sciences at State are very, very challenging. Yes, you can make an A, but only if you put in the work. If you want to be number one in your class at NC State, you better work harder than everyone else, because there are many kids are who are just flat out smarter than anyone I have ever met.

Abby

Aggie Hicks or Engineering Geeks.

Casey

There are not any major stereotypes that I have heard of, although I tend to hear that students at State are only engineers or agriculture majors. There is little mention of other majors. This is partially accurate, although not completely true. North Carolina State University is mostly composed of engineering and agriculture majors, but also offers a wide variety of majors.

Kai

At my school we have all of the stereotypes. You can find your niche at NCSU and thats what makes this place so great. We have the Geek, the Stoner, the Jock, the Frat daddies all of that.

Alexis

North Carolina State University students are stereotyped as being redneck, country loving and camo wearing southerners. I would like to emphasize that this is certainly not the case. Many students are from the south, but the negative connotation of 'redneck' undermines the true hard working, dependable, intelligent, and friendly nature of these students. Many more are not even from the south, and resent being deemed 'redneck'. NC state students are bright and dedicated to working/studying hard while still having fun outside of the classroom. I have made amazing friends at school and have learned that there is not an adequate 'averge' student to represent NC states diverse student population, but they all share their pride for the wolfpack and love for the school in common!

Kaitlin

The most common stereotypes at NCSU are "engineering geeks" or "rednecks" because of the large population of engineering students and agricultural students. The stereotype can be viewed as true because there is a large number of these types of students, but there are also plenty of other groups and types of people here.

Jamie

NC State is such a large community that we don't really have one type of student. Instead, we have a large variety of students with different interests and backgrounds. Chances are that you will find a niche of friends that can relate to your own "stereotype."

Geeks are a common stereotype at my school. It can be accurate in the sense that a good majority of students take pride in their education, but that cannot be used to define the entire student population.

Sakinah

A stereotype about NC State Students is that we are country and not as smart because we are country. However, this stereotype is very inaccurate because NC State is one of the hardest schools to get into and has one of the highest GPAs out of all the NC schools.

Kristie

Rednecks, sorority girls, frat boys

Justin

UNC Haters. It's a pretty accurate stereotype, Most NCSU students won't even tolerate students wearing UNC apparel, especially if the students wearing it are from NCSU. Of all the stereotypes available for any southern campus, UNC Hater is probably the one most accurate for NC State. On a positive note, UNC does bring the diverse Wolfpack together in school spirit. Collectively, we rage against the overrated student populace known as the Tarheels..

ken

stereotypes? of course every university has it's typical stereotypes, but here at State, we aim to break down barriers. You'll see engineers outside playing soccer, volleyball, ultimate frisbee and even hammocking with english majors. You'll see our international students mingling with students who haven't stepped foot out of North Carolina, and you'll definitely see some biology majors chilling on the Court of North Carolina with education majors. State is a huge melting pot of students from all over the world. Stereotypes are always being broken down.

Antonia

People think that we are only about farming and agriculture. And they only think about our college of engineering but we have so many other great things to offer as well

BryanHum

Most people NC State University as full of either farmers and agriculture majors, or people who will change the world with their engineering degrees. Since our school was founded on those two practices, and we receive coveted awards for engineering, people assume that is all we are known for. We are comprised of a great deal of engineers so that aspect of the stereotype is correct, but we are also strong in our life sciences and liberal arts majors. Many see our students as hicks who love farming but we are actually full of diverse students around the world with many cultural rich backgrounds. Every school has their stereotypes and sometimes they are playful and fun, but when it comes to serious terms, they need to be devoid of attention and facts need to be looked at.

Joan

NC State has a special connection to agriculture, since it was found as a land-grant institution. Therefore, we have a large and well-known agricultural program; because of this, people think that all the students at NC State are farmers, which is inaccurate. NC State has a very diverse student population and a variety of well known programs, like the College of Design, Textiles and the Engineering program. We also have a good School of Education and a great College of Humanities and Social Sciences. NC State is a pretty diverse institution; we have a diverse student body and also offer a variety of programs for students to choose from.

Jasmine

A common stereotype of NC State students is that we are all farmers. This could not be further from the truth. With over 100 majors, NC State has a wonderfully diverse population of students. You can find almost every type of student here.

Ranya

Many think of NC State students as agriculture students who want to go into farming post graduation. Although we have a wonderful agriculture program, we have several different colleges her on campus, with engineering beeing one of the most popular!

Jackie

NC State is known for its engineering as well as agriculture majors. As an engineer, I see how this school is geared towards those who are more articulate in the math and science fields. Students from all over the county come to NCSU for engineering specifically. Some believe that if they are not strong enough in those areas, NC State is not the school for them. Wrong. NC State offers a wide range of disciplines in which each field is a state of the art. Let's take pre-health as an example. We do not offer pre health but we have a track one can follow. We are compared to UNC-CH when it comes down to the medical side of things. People believe if they want to go to medical school, they need to go to Chapel Hill. That is an excellent school for medicine but our biological science are just as competitive. We have a Doctor hear who reviews all your courses, grades, activities and writes an outstanding letter of recommendation for med school. Also, a student at NCSU has a better chance of getting into UNC Med School over a Chapel Hill student.

Hampton

NCSU is heavily comprised of traditional, southern, conservative students

Maria

I would say the sterotype would be that our school is full of rednecks. However, this is not the case. Agricultural students only make up a small fraction of our school and do not represent the majority.

Megan

I would have to say that there is one common stereotype for our school and that is that we the student body population is made up of southerners and rednecks. I believe this stereotype comes from the fact that we are located in the south and our school is known for our Agriculture Institute, which attracts a large population of students with agricultural interests. It just so happens that a lot of the students interested in the agricultural assets of the University are interested in farming, animals, and have come from a background or family that shares these interests. I guess the southern accents of the North Carolinians contributes to this stereotype as well. I do not believe this stereotype is accurate. I would not say our school necessarily has a "stereotype" because we have such a diverse student population. The whole student body cannot fit into one specific stereotype.

Justin

A common stereotype tends to be that all of our students are enrolled in the College of Engineering; therefore, it may appear as if all other programs and students are "not as important." This is not true in any way. In actuality, one of the qualities that attracted me to NC State was the ability of the university to make sure that every student, regardless of their interests, experiences a tailored and exciting education. While the College of Engineering may be the largest at our university, it does not cast a shadow over the more than 300 student organizations, or programs tailored to my major. My experiences in the department of biology have included working in a laboratory, pre-health clubs, and various outings amongst the thousands of other students in my program. With more than 33,000 students, there is no doubt that you'll run into people with similar interests and goals.

Vyanh

I don't think we have specific stereotypes for each group of students that attend NC State, not in the way that there were in high school. But whenever people mention NC State or talk about NC State, they always think that everyone that goes there is smart, which is true :) We are all a very hard working and detertermined group of students.

Christina

The stereotypes include mostly that we are "hicks" since agriculture is a large part of our school. N.C. State started as an agriculture and engineering school in the 1800s, but that does not mean those are State's only strengths. The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is very large along with the Engineering school, but the College of Humanities and Social Sciences is also very dominate. Just because State started primarily with agriculture does not mean we are just hicks.

John

Depending of what college you are in, the stereotypes vary. In Engineering, it is mostly nerdy kids without social lives, and unattractive students. Now these stereotypes aren't completely true, as NC State has a HUGE variety of students, especially in the College of Engineering

John

Depending of what college you are in, the stereotypes vary. In Engineering, it is mostly nerdy kids without social lives, and unattractive students. Now these stereotypes aren't necessarily true of course.

Sharon

If you ask people who don't know NC State very well about the stereotype of NC State students, you would probably get an answer about us all being agriculture students or engineering students. The reality is that students here are so different and diverse that it is impossible to place a stereotype on our student body.

Kidist

A typical stereotype of students at NCSU is that they are all engineering majors. Yes, NCSU one of the top engineering programs in the country but there is so much more here for students with other interests. There is a wide variety of majors and courses for students so that each student feels accommodated.

Jimmy

In the 'Triangle' region, North Carolina State University students are often stereotyped as conservative, farm boys and engineering students. I would not say this stereotype is accurate at all, in my case I am a Colombian student in the Liberal arts department, thus not very well fit into the common stereotype. NC State has over 34,000 students, making us the biggest university in the state of North Carolina, walk into the common area of our student library and the first thing you will hear about 10 different languages and 50 different accents while you look for a computer to use.

Jimmy

Sandhya

I've heard people say that students that attend NC State only attended the school as a back up for not getting in to the university of their choice. I disagree with this stereotype because NC State happened to be my #1 choice for college. The university is an excellent choice for furthering your education, and provides a wide range of opportunities that I don't think you could receive anywhere else.

Justin

Alyssa

There is a very mistaken stereotype of NC State University that a majority of the students were once hopefuls to attend UNC Chapel Hill but were unable to get admitted. From personal experience, this is not an accurate stereotype since I neither applied to Chapel Hill or wanted to go Chapel Hill and many of my close friends and scholars have the same experiences. NC State University is a school of math, science, technology, and engineering, and the staff at NC State University continue to do a fantastic job of recruiting some of the nation's most intelligent and motivated students to join our family. NC State University is geared toward the STEM studies that cannot be rivaled by many schools, and our students are dedicated to our university and their success. Keep in mind, our students choose NC State University for the competitive academics, down-to-earth social life, and school spirit rather than a back-up school.

Alyssa