North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

The best thing about State are the people, they have been so welcoming and friendly. I found it easy to find a good bunch of friends to spend time with and study with despite my initial fears. Initially I thought it would be difficult because I was coming to the south and I currently still live in New York. One thing I would change would be some of the teaching staff. Sometimes you end up with a teacher who you really struggle with. Almost all of my teachers have been great teachers, helpful, clear, and friendly, but occasionally you get a teach or two who cannot seem to teach anything well. Although State is a very large school, I feel it is just right. It doesn't take long to find your way around. It's very nice to be able to see new faces every day, giving me the opportunity to make a new friend. People are usually surprised when I say I go to State when they know I am from New York. They often ask, "Why did you choose State? Why not a New York school?". Other people that have asked, that didn't know my hometown, were impressed with my decision to attend State. On campus I spend most of my time in the dorm or, when the weather is warmer, out in the Court of Carolina or Tucker beach. The campus is beautiful and I love to be outside enjoying the weather! I don't spend much time off of campus. I am not a big party person, and rarely go out to clubs or other places of the sort. Despite this, I would consider State to be located in a relatively good college town. Downtown is not far, you can walk, bike, drive, or take the bus into Downtown where there are museums, parks, clubs, and restaurants. Hillsborough, which borders campus offers several restaurants, a bank, bookstore, bowling and various other small shops and places to gather. The school administration is very reliable. They are willing to help me achieve my goals and have been very helpful in making sure I am finding it easy to acclimate to college. My advisor has been helpful in suggesting classes to make my course load as manageable as possible while still graduating in four years with a double degree. The biggest recent controversy on campus was a non violent hate crime in which a few students defaced the GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender) Community Club board. The students and administration quickly addressed the behavior and rallied in support of the GLBT Community supporting them in the face of discrimination, letting the GLBT Community know that no matter their sexual preference, they were more than welcome to be a part of our Wolf Pack. There is a lot of school pride, Red and White, Wolf Pack all the way! One experience I will always remember was my first year at State. The girls in my suite were amazing! We had such a wonderful year together and grew quite close. I still keep in touch and see the girls on a regular basis. I met one of my closest friends in that suite. I also decided to room with my roommate again because we got along so well last year. We did a random roommate application, and I could not have asked for a better roommate! The most frequent student complaints are generally about physics and statics actually. I haven't found too many people who enjoy those classes, but it's all personal preference.

Overall NC State University is a quality institution for higher learning and I am proud to be a student here. One of the best things about this school is the student body itself. With such a diverse amount of students from different religious, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds keeps the learning environment alive and well. Class sizes ranging from large to small allows for copious amounts of learning With that said, there are a few things that could use some definite improvement. Certain ways the students fees are allocated for resources around the campus needs drastic improvement. With committees containing only a small number of students or faculty does not give an accurate representation of the student body's decisions. Then also, the construction around the university's campus needs to be decreased drastically as well. Construction is necessary for certain buildings and facilities on campus, but when you have numerous projects happening at once, it makes student life very hard socially and academically. In general however, the location of the university in the state's capitol and metropolitan urban area helps to keep spirits and energy high. Allows for students to have interests outside the university and connect with people from outside the university. Gives greater opportunity for local jobs, internships, and possible career opportunities. Academics are strong, students are diverse and open, and the university itself has an overall great feeling.

I absolutely love NC State. I think the best thing about the school is the common school spirit and pride each and every student shares for the University. The location of the University is amazing because it is in the capital of North Carolina and literally a few miles from the State Capitol Building. Raleigh was voted the number one business city in the US, proving that NC State provides a great location for students. I feel like our school is large, but there are so many opportunities to get involved in smaller groups on campus that everyone has a sense of belonging. I spend most of my time on campus in the library. The library is one of my favorite places to go between classes and grab a coffee. It is a great place to get studying done, as well as mingle with friends. The only downside to the campus would be how spread out it is, but that encourages walking and helps me stay in shape. My favorite memories of NC State are attending the football games and cheering my team to victory. One of my favorite things about the school is the freedom expression tunnel. I feel like it is unique to our campus and also is a way to bring students together. Overall, I wouldn't change anything about NC State and am thankful I am able to attend such an amazing school.

NC State University offers students the opportunity to study in nine different colleges that vary from Humanities & Social Sciences to Engineering to Management. The variety of competitive colleges at NC State University make it unique and apt to providing students with any passion to fit in. The most exciting part of NC State University is hearing about the successes of each of the colleges and the opportunities that the students receive from faculty, staff, and the Raleigh community. One of the logo's of NC State's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is "Small School Feel, Big School Opportunities." This encompasses the vast range of opportunities that this university has for its students. If NC State doesn't offer something that you are interested in, you can create it! This university has a strong reputation of academic success and competitive students upon graduation that makes this university both exciting and unique in North Carolina. Each student is engaged and passionate about something and NC State University encourages that each student pursue that passion. I call NC State University "home" because of the students and the opportunities that will help me be an engaged student and prepare me to be a successful professional in the future.

The best thing about NCSU...is definately the people you meet. You can't be afraid to just talk to people, not everyone will bite. I would change...how the administration treats the students. They aren't horrible to us, but they aren't wonderful to us either. At times I think NCSU is too large, sometimes I feel like a number, but honestly, I'd hate being at a small school where EVERYONE is all up in your business. People treat me the same way they treat everyone else that goes to college. They say, "ooo thats nice" and move on. The time I spend on campus..I'm either in class, at work, or something is going on with the Fraternity. I try not to stay on campus a lot, I'd rather be at home where I'm more comfortable. The administration...sometimes it really feels like I attend NC State Univeristy Incorporated. Its always about money and how much I don't have to give to the school. I feel like I'm always paying more money than I was before. Books are VERY expensive, and it really doesn't look like the administration cares. The biggest controversy..I guess would have to be the textbook prices. They're really ridiculous. I would say there is a lot of school pride...when we're winning.

I love NC State. I will say that change is hard for me. As a freshman, I knew I was coming to a big school but I did not realize how large it truly was. I walked around campus and hardly saw the same person as I saw yesterday or the week before. I felt as though it was hard to get adjusted. But as I became acquainted, I started meeting new people and everything started to fall into place. As large as NC State is, when game day rolls around, nobody can beet the spirit of the pack. Tailgating, howling, and coming together as a school for football and any sport, NCSU outshines. Besides football games, we are pretty much in the heart of Raleigh. Two minutes down the street and you are downtown. The city lights always surrounding makes Raleigh a classy city and the best place to live in the country! We do get a lot of complaints about bricks. Bricks, bricks, bricks. Only two buildings are built without a single brick, Harrelson and Poe. I'm not going to lie, it didn't intrigue me as much as other campus', but you come to love it. You also have to make sure you have good rainboots or else your face will have some personal time with the bricks.

The best thing about North Carolina State University is the large student population, you never stop meeting new people and that is very exciting! The size of the school can be overwhelming at first, but I believe once a new student gets used to the adjustment it is great to be part of such a larger community. Usually people are interested when I tell them I go to school here and if they are not familiar with it, they want to know more about our university, because, chances are they have heard about it. It is not your typical "college town," which is probably one of the best things about the experience here. One can find or pursue other interests or go explore different parts of Raleigh because it is a big city and you don't have to get wrapped up in "college drama." Wolfpack pride is always booming here and on game days, to be a part of the pack is to feel unstoppable! All the students at NCSU show their pride in the pack daily. If I could change anything about the school it would be the constant construction and poor parking situations and for the most part the staff and professors are great and always willing to help you out.

The best thing about NCSU is that it is a place you can feel welcome. I visited many other campuses before NCSU, and the big difference between NCSU and the other colleges was that I felt I could truly find my place at NC State. The environment is welcoming, the student body is diverse enough to fit any lifestyle, and the opportunities are huge. However, NCSU may not be for those who do not like big schools. NCSU has an enormous population, which is a positive for me. However, it may not be for others seeking smaller schools. I spend most of my time on campus in the library. My major is one which requires constant studying, and most of my free time is spent in the library doing such. Another great thing about NCSU is its intense school pride. While there are many students who choose not to participate in school spirit, the majority of the population constantly shows a school spirit that cannot be matched. Having a student body that is so invested in their school makes the atmosphere much more enjoyable for those who love having school pride.

All my life I have attended small private schools, so coming to NC State University was a culture shock. I have loved every minute of it. The classrooms are large, the teachers are always available outside of the classroom, and my advisor has helped me beyond words. I spend most of my time on campus near the brickyard, library, or in POE (I am an education major). I would not consider Raleigh a prominant "college town", however it has many things to keep the students occupied. I do hear that they are trying to re-due Hillsborough to bring more focus close to campus. I will admit that I had always had my heart set on being a tarheel, but it took no time at all to find myself fitting in perfectly here. I wouldn't change schools for the world, I love the accepting and unique personalities of each student and the willingness of the teachers. Face it, I'm part of the Wolfpack.

I absolutely love North Carolina State University. The academics are very challenging, but they are also very rewarding. NC State provides so many opportunities that smaller schools just cannot provide. The dorms are cozy and comfortable. The food can be great sometimes and it can also be not so great, but there are a lot of options on campus as well as off-campus. I came from a very small 1-A high school and have had no problems adjusting to the large school, because it is true when they say it has a small school feel. State does a great job advertising their hundreds of groups that students can join to make friends and to get away from schoolwork. Most people I talk to love the school itself. Gamedays in Raleigh are very exciting and entertaining. There's no better school to tailgate on Saturday afternoons or nights than Raleigh, North Carolina.