North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

Go to Hell Carolina

school spirit!

The best thing at State is the amazing school spirit, students and faculty here bleed red and white. One thing I would change is the buildings. We are ranked as one of the country's ugliest campuses, but we do have some pretty buildings like at the design school or centennial, but I wish we could update some of them and give it a fresh look. I like the size of our school, I wanted to go to a big school and you can walk to class and see nobody you are know or ten people, you never know what you are going to get. They refer me to my sport's team, since we have not been doing great recently. I spend most of my time on Centennial because I am a textile student. I hate that NC State is in the capital city because we are held to different standards than ogther schools. I feel like the police are just out to get every drunk kid out there when there are real problems like burglaries, rapes, and homeless people roming around the school. We can't just have a normal college party like at other schools because it is pretty much inevitable that if it's a good enough part, the cops are going to come. And the person throwing the parry is always worried about who's coming over and worried that the cops will come. I think that the administration is good, other than the incredibly over strict policy on tailgating. We have such an amazing tradition of tailgating, that we shouldn't have to curtail our fun in the case of families being there. It is our school, and we should be able to have just as much fun as any other school does. I can't think of any recent controversies. Our school has AMAZING pride in our teams of all sports; it's really inspiring. It is unusual that anyone can ride the wolfline. Isn't that what the CAT buses are for. The homeless and crazy people that get on the buses can be a danger to students, and they are just plain weird.

i think one of the best things about ncsu is that it is located in raleigh. raleigh is such a diverse city and that is one of the great things about ncsu because it is located here you are exposed to many different elements of life that you wouldn't find if you went to a smaller school or a school that is located in the middle of no where. i think that ncsu is just the right size. yes it is a large university. you do have the classes in which you have 200 people in one lecture but those are just your general ed classes. i've had teachers make the time to try to get to know the names of students in those classes by taking pictures to put the names with faces. people can't say that at ncsu you are just another number because when you finally get down to your core classes in your major you aren't thrown into a large class. i know that in my major there are only 3 classes that have large lectures and then the rest of the classes in my major are smaller and it is more "intimate" (for the lack of a better word). i spend the majority of my time on campus on east campus over in winston, thompkins and caldwell. that is where all of my classes have been for the past two years since i am a humanities and social science major. i think that there is a decent amount of school pride but it is something that isn't as prevalent as many would think. the attendance at campus events, such as the pack howl and the homecoming parade isn't as large as it should be, but when it comes to football games the school is behind there team when the school is doing well. i was always taught by my father not to be a fairweather fan so i always stand behind our team no matter the season, if it be 3-9 or if they are 10-2.

I have truly been privileged to attend such an amazing school, and treat NC state with the utmost respect, and view the rich and diverse school history, my fellow students, faculty, and alumni, and the beautiful campus with fondness and appreciation. Overall Raleigh NC has been named one of the top towns in the entire country to live in, so the campus location is ideal! Fellow students and I have learned that nothing can really quite compare to the college experience, and we all agree that living on campus for a few semesters is a great way to ease into the campus life while meeting great, life-long friendships. NC state has many wonderful dorms with varying distances away from classes, dining halls, and other Raleigh attractions. While the campus is considered very large, everything remains within walking distance, and there are enough dining halls and restaurants on campus to fill all desires! Another fun aspect to college life is attending football and basketball games, and make no mistake, football tailgating season is the social event of the year. The games themselves are incredible, as our guys play in the large RBC center and Carter Finley stadiums for basketball and football games. Other sports such as volleyball and swimming are located right on campus. My time at NC state was spent with both a full academic and social calendar, which was ideal for me, and I loved going to such a large school. I was able to meet a wide variety of people and make connections and network for a career once I have graduated. While every school has their positives and negatives, I found that I had no regrets, no truly negative experiences, and such a fun and exciting time at state!

The greatest thing about NC State are the opportunities-both on and off campus. On campus, there are hundred of organization in which students can participate, from fraternities to political and debate clubs to organizations specific to your particular major or career interest. The number of resources available to students for community service, career development, etc. is enormous. Then you have the Raleigh area in general. Raleigh is most definitely a "college town" with 5 universities all together in the area--but, it is also the center of North Carolina government. The surrounding area offers amazing opportunities to students both during their college career and after they graduate. The NC General Assembly and many other agencies are located just a few miles down the road, as well as the Research Triangle Park linking research within NC State, UNC and Duke. These offer great internship opportunities to students and chances to get involved in the local community. There is often a stigma that students must compete with faculty and administration in bringing about change. From first hand experience, however, I've found that if students truly desire for something to change and are willing to put in the time to talk with faculty and administrators about policies, they are usually very open to new ideas to create a better environment for students. The University is currently undergoing plans for some major rennovation on the student centers and on-campus dining opportunities to better accommodate students' needs and wants and make campus more student-oriented.

The best thing about NCSU is how welcoming the community is. It was so easy to come here, get involved, make friends, and feel a part of the school right off the bat. If I could change anything it would definitely be to have more parking that is closer to dorms and classes, the parking is horrible. I think that school size is, to a degree, a subjective thing, but for me the size of NCSU is just right. I like that there will always be tons of new people for me to meet and that NCSU is kind of its own small city. I've never had any reactions other than people being impressed when I told them that I was a student at NCSU. When I'm on campus I spend a lot of time in my dorm building - the girls on my floor have all become very close so we spend a lot of time together. I spend a bit of time in the library and I go to the gym a lot. I would say the most recent controversy would be the robberies that happened about a month ago, that shook everyone up a bit but campus police responded very smoothly and have police officers available to walk with students wherever they're going after dark and offer safe rides to and from places on campus. I had no idea how strong school pride was until I got to NCSU. I love every aspect of my school and I am so proud of it. That is the general attitude of all the other students here, there's nowhere else we'd rather be. I would say the most frequent student complaints are about parking.

The best thing about NCSU is the diversity of the students. If I could change one thing it would be to use different building materials other than bricks. I like the size of my school, you don't know everybody but you recognize people when walking across campus and see friends most of the time. When I tell people I go to NCSU they usually comment on how bad the basketball or football team is. I spend most of my time on campus in the classroom buildings in the brickyard. Raleigh is somewhat of a college town but it is more of a "big" city seeing as we have concerts, hockey games, and the fact that we're the capital. I never see NCSU's administration except at large events. I feel that they are highly overpaid for the work that they do. There are always small controversies on campus, from preacher Gary to student body elections. There is a lot of school pride but it could be improved, possibly if the teams were better. The one thing I'll always remember is rushing the court my sophomore year after we beat Carolina in basketball. The most student complaints come about the number of bricks, construction, the Wolfline bus system, professors, and classes.

The best things about attending NCSU are the attentive, accessible professors and strong sports program. There is a loyal following of NCSU basketball especially when playing rivals UNC or Duke and there is also a rowdy tailgating crowd the forms hours before football games. One of my best experiences if actually sports related. I'll always remember NCSU beating UNC at basketball in the RBC center in 2007 and rushing the court. The is a lot of school pride here, a lot of it pertaining to sports. I spend most of my time on campus in the English class building, in the library, or at the atrium. I also spend time at the gym where there are many great exercise classes to choose from. NCSU does not have a big college town vibe being in Raleigh, but there is a good nightlife scene on Hillsborough Street and in downtown Raleigh. A frequent student complaint is about the lack of college town feel, but Raleigh is working to revitalize Hillsborough Street to help promote more of a college feel. NCSU is unusual in its setting because though situated in the capital of North Carolina, it can often feel like a small town.

The best thing about NCSU is the great college of Management I am enrolled in. One thing I would change would be repair the dorms, the elevators are always broken. NCSU is just the right size, not too big nor too small. When I tell people I go to NCSU people react normally like any other person would when you tell them where you attend school. I spend most of my time in the dorm because i live on campus currently. This is a college town but it is not as big and eventful as some other colleges. NCSU's administration tries to be involved as much as possible with campus life and students. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the death of UNC student body government Eve Carson. There is a lot of school pride but it is not anywhere near what it could be if all the students participated in school events. The only thing unusual about NCSU is all the crime that has been going on recently. One experience i will always remember is rooming with someone i had never met until move-in day. Most students complain about walking everywhere and fire drills all throughout the night/morning.