North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

Honestly, I feel that anyone, no matter what race, sex, major choice, etc., would fit in perfectly at NCState. When applying for this school, one of the main points that they advocated was diversity which is what made me attracted to the school instantly. Not only is NCState diverse, it also offers a very wide range of major choices including 12 colleges within the university tending to specific majors. They help guide those who are undecided about majors and keep those who are decided on track. Its a fantastic school and I think anyone could attend and be happy.

Someone who easily feels left out and/or does not actively try to participate in making friends or other activities may not want to attend NC State. The school is large, and although there are many programs, activities and friendly people, the general atmosphere is not conducive for daily interaction with others unless a genuine effort is made. In other words, it is essential to be open-minded and socially forward at NC State. Shy people and those who tend to feel timid in social situations will have a hard time adjusting to the agressive social life here.

If you want small class sizes, for your professors to hold your hand thorugh assignments, and dont plan to put mcuh time into the material outside of class then dont bother applying. NCSU has a steep learning curve, espesially in its STEM courses. The professors are willing to help you the best they can but they will not seek you out; there are too many students to do that. Besides design and textiles, if you are more liberal arts (english, art, etc) minded I would recomend a different school as we are primarily a STEM school

An example of someone who should not attend NC State is someone who does not plan on going into a field requiring science or advanced mathematics (since NC State is a research university) , or someone who has trouble coping with large crowds of people. NC State is a large university numbering over 35,000 people, who have many differing world views and a variety of people, so this school may not be a good choice for someone that does not do well when faced with adversity or differing opinions than their own.

Fans of the University of North Carolina! NC State students are very passionate about their school spirit. With the University of North Carolina and Duke University so close by, there is a lot of rivalry in both academics and sports. It makes attending schools in the area a lot of fun because everyone has so much pride in their education and their athletics. The fraternity and sorority housing at NC State is kind of poor but it is getting redone in the next couple of years.

If you don't like brick, don't come to State. This campus is built of brick. And if you need a lot of open green space, there is very little around campus. If you want small intimate classes, the majority of the time State is not for you. For example, it is not uncommon to have a 400 person economics class or a 250 person introductory chemistry class. If your focused on sports, our sports program is okay but definitely not top ranked except for gymnastics and soccer.

In my opinon, anyone could make NC State their own, as long as they were willing to make an effort to find their niche. NC State is a very diverse campus, and chances are that anyone could find the one group of people that they would fit in with the best. Personally, I was terrified going to college, I thought I wouldn't find any friends. However, I managed to find a group of people that have made my experience fantastic.

Students with majors in the college of sciences and college ofengineering will be challenged ever day in and out of class. All students planning to join NC State with a engineering or science degree should arrive ready to work hard, and even more importantly, work with other students on a regular basis. Any student that is not ready to work with other students should consider a different path for their education.

If you aren't willing to get out there and meet people, this probably isn't the school for you. There's a lot of brick and rain, so it's important to have close friends to prop you up when the weather gets you down. You should be pretty self-driven because it's rather easy to flunk out of this school depending on your curriculum. People who are not willing to ask for help will not do well here.

NC State is a melting pot of a large variety of people from many different cultures and backgrounds. I believe anyone could fit in at NCSU and enjoy their college life there. However, unless a student has a passion and a desire for learning, maybe NC State would not be the best choice. NC State prides itself on academics, and the professors push their students to be the best they can possibly be.