North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

There have definitely been some major challenges that I have faced throughout my college career. I believe some of these challenges would have been prevented if I had known these two things: You must know how to organize/manage your time well and apply, apply, apply for scholarships, now! I have had to learn, the hard way, that it is so easy to get behind if you do not use your time wisely and plan out, far in advance, when and how you are going to do things. If you aren't organized, you can easily become distracted or forget about other assignments becasue of so many other things that go on around campus. As a senior, I did not apply for as many scholarships as I should have and I was waiting for everything to come to me. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as you can because you do not want to go through school having to worry about how much interest is accruing on your student loan and wondering how in the world are you going to pay your student loan back.

I would tell myself to not be afraid to try new things and be more outgoing. I would say that the more people you meet and get to know the easier and more enjoyable college life would be. I would also remind myself to stay true to my morals and beliefs and that changing for anyone would be a horrible mistake. Another important thing that i would tell myself is that do not wait to the last minute to complete projects and homework. It is not like high school and that just because there seems to be more free time do not forget why you are at college. I would make myself know the importance of developing personal relationships with my professors and that it will be worth it in the future. If they know you care it is more likely that they will be willing to help you when you need it. One of the most important pieces of advice i would give myself is to manage my time wisely and always make time for fun. You are there to learn but without a little free time the stress can engulf you.

It is okay to make mistakes. After falling, picking yourself up is the first step towards the most beneficial and substantial growth that you can experience for yourself. Be reasonable, but do not forget to listen to your heart. Do not let anyone steer you wrong or force you to do something you do not want to do. Look ahead and try to predict your future, but do not forget to act in the present; have and develop a plan, but don't forget to carry out the things leading up to it. It is okay to be rooted in the past, but the future is an entire journey waiting to unfold before you. Do things not for the approval of others, but for the benefit and wellness of yourself. Ask for help when you need it, and offer help when you can. College is a period of your life in which you will find out who you are, but don't forget that you have already been someone your entire life. Be brave, be emotional, be studious, be courteous, be holistic, be determined, be clever, but above all, be happy.

First of all do not stress out, relax. Try to find a roommate, either via friends from school or the many resources online, this will make your freshman year much more enjoyable. Get everything you will need early and make sure there is nothing left you need to do before move in day. Report every AP score before the exam because it is much easier than trying to report it later. College is different from high school, just like high school is different from middle school, make sure you have figured out a good way to stay organized, you are going to want to have some sort of calendar system to keep up with all of your classes and homework. Listen to the advice people give you and actually use it. When you make your class schedule look into what professor is teaching and what their grade distribution is. Mainly, enjoy your last year of high school, make good use of your last summer, and don’t stress about college. You will make friends as long as you go out and try everything.

Maddi, you are about to experience the most freedom you've ever had. When college starts, no one is going to make sure you complete your assignments and no one is going to pat you on the back for studying. It will all be up to you. You need to let the work be its own reward. You know what you are striving for. You have it in you to succeed. Do not sink into complacency. Also, nevermind your high school boyfriend, dear. You aren't going to marry him. Friendships are far more important right now. Most importantly, have confidence in yourself. You are worth it. You will make yourself proud this year. Take risks - it's okay! It's better to try and possibly not do so well, learning experiences are what make us grow! Don't settle for what's easy, you are made of tougher stuff than that. Just manage your time well, and make lots of close friends. That will be your circle of support when you've had a rough day. You are going to have so much fun. And please, take lots of pictures.

I would tell myself not to focus so much on being an overachiever. I always pushed myself too hard in high school and was too hard on myself when I didn't perform perfectly. Some of that is good; I excelled academically and thanks to all the AP classes I took, I entered the college of my choice with 25 credits. However, overachieving in high school was manageable because there were limits. In college there is more freedom, and I used that freedom to take on more than I could handle. My grades did not suffer extensively, but my mental health did. Junior year I took 22 credit hours in one semester, and I suffered a breakdown. I was lucky to learn that my university has wonderful student health facilities, and with the aid of counseling I have continued working toward my degree without compromising my health. But to high school me, I would say: relax. Push yourself to excel at what you can handle, but not beyond that. College should be fun; it should not drive you insane.

I would tell my high school self to try harder. I need to take my academics more serioulsy and be open to more to ideas about learning and how to learn. The biggest thing about college is that the professor will not hold your hand through the entire class, they expect hard work out of their students and they expect the students to be prepared and participate in class discussion. I would tell my high school self that get involved and become more comfortable with myself and with what I have to say about a topic. I needed to learn how not to procrastinate either. I needed to learn how to have better time management and divide up my work where I would not be up till two in the morning. I would also tell myself to become more involved in what is going on around you. That is a great way to make friends and to learn how to deal with new types of people and understand that not there are always going to be different opinions that is important to hear and take into account.

I know you are confused right now about where your life is going. It's difficult to know what to do and where you will succeed with a father that tells you everyday you will amount to nothing. College isn't going to get you anywhere because you are stupid. I know you hear this everyday. Don't belive it, you have to try. So you tired, it isn't your fault you were diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy when you were just about to finish what you always wanted to do. Maybe being a Paramedic wasn't for you. Now you know you feel like a failure, and everytime you look at your father you see the satisfaction in his eyes. I can't try again and fail. I'm going to give up and just concentrate on life. Well, here I am. Alone, divorced, in a wheelchair fulltime du to the Muscular Dystrophy. One thing is different now. I'm doing it. I'm doing it! I will graduate in a few months with an Associates Degree in Hospatality and Travel. A GPA of 3.83. No one can stop me now.

If I could go back to talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself to work harder. I coasted through the final year of high school, ignoring scholarship opportunities and not really thinking hard about what I wanted to go to college for. I jumped into being a music major my freshman year, and it didn't work out. So I suppose I would tell myself to think about what I really wanted to do in college, what I loved enough to do throughout the coming years of my life. I would also remind myself that it is ok to not know what to do, that I will always have options and I don't have to jump headlong into anything if I don't want to. If I could talk to myself as a senior, I would also not tell myself to change what I have done. For, though becoming a music major was a mistake (and led to my transfer), I made many good friends and learned how to work for what I really want. So I would advise myself to think and plan for college, but perhaps not so hard of planning, after all.

After graduating High School I had no idea what the world could offer me. I come from a small little agricultural town in California called Dinuba. The only jobs I was aware of was teaching or feild work, neither really described my personality. I would tell myself that with such a positive attitude and happy demenior I could do anything, I just need to work at it. Staying focused and not letting outside distractions such as friends, parties, and mean people get in my way. I would tell myself that this is my life and I have to live it for myself, nobody else. That the great thing about it being my life was I can either work hard and reward myself with accomplishments or suffer the consequnces of being lazy. I would tell myself that life is short and making the most of my life is with hard work and dedication. It doesn't matter what feild I go into but that education is the key out of Dinuba and a positive attitude and friendly approach will make you many friends.