North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

Apply for Scholarships! Make time for your priorities and buckle down! Early turn in dates are there for a reason, take advantage of them! Remember, the school you want to get into only takes the best, so be part of that crowd! Get involved and above everything, LISTEN! Older people didn't get their degree or to their age by being dumb. When someone tells you something, listen! If you have the chance to go to an event that could higher your learning GO! Also, when it comes to working, don't mess up your grades and chances of going to the places you want to go for minimun wage. It isn't worth it. You have you entire life to work, school is what should be your main focus right now no matter what. Make you parents proud. Especially your dad..he wont' be around as long you think.. Show him he raised the best daught he could and carry his name proudly. When it comes to friends, always remember what he told you, "You could be like them in a second, but they would never be like you for their entire life, no matter how hard they try."

As a senior in high school, nothing made me quite as nervous as the idea of graduating and heading off to North Carolina State University. Leaving the comforting cocoon of familiarity in my home town seemed daunting to me. I would often ponder questions such as: “Will making new friends be easy?” and “Exactly how many papers will I have to write in English 101?!” And after a lot of freaking out and a lot of last minute packing, summer drew to an end and I was headed to NC State. The first few weeks were filled with meeting new people, new experiences and learning my way around campus. During this time I realized that all the worries I had had in high school were completely unwarranted. I discovered that as long as you come to college with an open mind, a good attitude, and a desire to succeed, everything will work out! If only I could go back in time and tell my high school self to stop worrying so much about making the transition. I would definitely tell myself: “Stop worrying! You just have to work hard and be yourself.”

I have learned to much about myself and life through my college experience. I always heard people say that I would learn about myself when I went to college, but actually experiencing that growth has been wonderful! I my college journey going to a school that was very far away from my family and learned through that experience how much my family means to me. I also realized how much effort and time has to go into a relationship in order for it to succeed, especially when there is great distance imbetween the two parties. Currently, at my new school, NC State, I am learning how to prioritize and manage my time. I have realized that time is limited, and what I do with that time is crucial since I can never get it back. I have greatly enjoyed the time I have spent in college, getting to know myself, my friends, my classmates, and my professors. I would not trade my experiences or learned lessons for anything. I am excited to continue on and see what else I have to learn not just in the classroom, but in life as well!

If I could go back to my senior year, I would have committed myself to being a better all around student. Academically, I would have learned material from my classes more in depth instead of just enough to make an A or trying to get by. I would have studied for knowledge to help me transition into college easier instead of just making the grade. Although my grades were good, I don't feel I learned the material as well as I should have. Second, I would have been more involved in the different groups and associations. My involvement in different organizations in college has helped me be a well rounded student. Last, I love the game baseball, I am playing on a club team at NC State. Reliving highschool baseball, I would have had a better work ethic. I feel if I had worked harder, I would have had a better chance of playing on the varsity baseball team. In reality, I can't go back in time and relive my senior year, but I plan to be the best I can and achieve the best education to fulfill my career goal.

You never realize just how fast time flies when your working hard and having fun. It seems like yesterday I was packing my lunch for my first day of kindergarten and now I'm done with my first semester of college. I can still remember when my dad used to come eat lunch with me in middle school and tell me to study hard so I could get into a prestigious college. He would tell me college is the best and most important experience of your life because you realize so much about yourself that you never knew before. I can tell you, he was spot on. Even though I have only been in college for one semester, I have already started to realize just how much I have changed since leaving high school. It has taught me to better prepare myself not only in school but in every aspect of my life. I can't count how many times I procrastinated in high school that I regret still to this day. College has already truly made me a stronger and smarter person and my advice to anyone who is given the opportunity to attend, make it happen.

As a high school senior, I was very worried about making the wrong decision with colleges and majors... so much to the point that I lost sleep over the possibilities. In order to make such an important change in your life, you must [1] explore your options. Research all of the possibilities and write down the pros and cons. Then [2] compare the colleges and majors against each other using specific criteria like "location," "size," "campus facilities," etc. After you've narrowed down some of the choices to a couple, make sure to visit those colleges and find out more about the major if you are not completely familiar with it. Make sure to [3] sleep on the decision for awhile and imagine yourself in each situation. Finally [4] make a decision and commit to it. There is nothing worse than making a decision too early and then changing at the last minute or regretting that choice for a long time. Use common sense and how you feel about each college. Remember, it will be your home for the next four years!

Just be yourself and don't be afraid to put yourself out there to make friends! There are so many people on a college campus that you WILL find people that you like/relate to. There are also a lot of activities that you can get involved with on campus and these activities are a great way to meet people and to fill the extra time you have during the week and on weekends. They make for great study breaks too, so find out what's going on around your campus! Another great way to be successful in college is to remember that you are there for SCHOOL! Partying can be fun but you have to discipline yourself to study when you need to. Find what works for you studying wise and go with it. It will minimize the time that you need to spend studying and allow you more free time to do what you want to do. Lastly, if you are struggling in your classes don't be afraid to ask for help. Professors are almost always willing to help the students that want to succeed and there are a lot of resources available for help on campus.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have so many things to say! The most important thing I hope that I would hope to convey is that there are social orders in life for a reason. School comes first! We are presented with the opportunity for college training at this time because this is when it makes the most sense! When you think about it, it may not seem like it, but the responsibilities that you have at 17 and 18 are nothing compared to even five years from now, a spouse, and kids later. It is 10 times harder to go back to school while trying to work and care for a family. The pennies that you make working now, more than likely you will have nothing to show for it down the line either. Finishing college will open up doors for more money and opportunities to be your bosses boss! When you do start college don't even try the excuse of "taking it slow." You will never geaduate that way, and more than likely end up working pay check to paycheck. Get her done!

Through my college experience, I have learned to question the normal and accepted, always searching for new possibilities and ways to solve problems. Finding the right solution for me is not easy, but by trying new things I can grow and learn as a person. I have been challenged intellectually and had the chance to meet new friends while seeing what it is like living on my own. I have learned new skills in my major that I can apply to future projects and career interviews. The college experience is valuable to me because I am discovering who I am and what I can do. I am beginning to have a taste of what life is like in "the real world" and what I need to do to become a successful adult. I am also learning the importance of balance. A happy medium between work and play is important, as is finding joy in my work. I want to have a job that I can be happy in and produce my best work. I am learning and growing, being challenged while having fun, so that I can become a rounded adult, helpful to my society.

If I could talk to my past self about college, I would say two words: don't settle. The Design school here at NCSU is a good school for a state university and for people interested in things like architecture and graphic design, but it is not what I would have wanted to further my career as a student more interested in the fine arts. The people can be very conservative and I feel this school isn't as creative as it could be. A lot of focus is given on math and science, so be prepared to get to know people who are talented in both. If I were to give myself advice on living and going to class on this campus specifically, I would say: Get a car. Raleigh is a city that has a lot of urban sprawl. If you want to go to the grocery store, you will probably have to drive. There are convenience stores on campus, but they are very overpriced and have limited stock. Downtown Raleigh doesn't have much in the way of clubs or a local art scene, but it is trying, so I would tell myself to check those out.