North Carolina State University at Raleigh Top Questions

Deja

The most frustrating thing about my school is lack of space provided. There are around 34,000+ students that attend this fine university, but the facilities (i.e. gym, library, dining hall), are always crowded because there isn't enough space for a large number of students.

Keleigh

The Chemistry classes are the most frustrating thing for me. They make them almost impossible to pass. I took AP Chemistry in high school and I had a UNC Chemistry major graduate as my teacher. I still struggled so much in Chemistry at State. They say that it is a weed out class so that they can get rid of the students who are not serious but, I do not think that this is ethically right.

The life of a college freshman is slightly overwhelming between rigorous course loads and adjusting to living on campus. The most frustrating process has been advising and registering for classes.Though I thoroughly believe the advising office was overwhelmed, it made the registeration process for classes extremely difficult. I looked like a fish out of the water as I and twenty other students attempted to pick the classes we hopefully would be able to survive in. It was the most frustrating process ,but in the end the most rewarding process as I was able to learn on my own.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the walk to class. It can be very long depending on what class you have. It's especially annoying when the weather is bad.

Dining hours

Eboni

The most frustrating thing about my school is that some classes are too far for a walk.

Thanh

My school can seem really, really big and can cause a person to feel very smell and alone. It takes effort to find the right niche for you on campus. It's harder to make friends in larger classes and large clubs.

The on campus dining starts to get old after a while. On-campus parking is also frustrating sometimes.

Pooja

NC State is located in the middle of a city, therefore everything is very far away. A lot of time is wasted in commuting and walking from one place to another. Time spent commuting that could be better spent studying and volunteering.

How large NC State is. Sometimes it's easy to feel a little lost on campus.

The campus is pretty spread out and not very pedestrian friendly. On main campus there usually isn't a lot of vehicle traffic, so that makes things easier.

The massive size. Walking to classes takes a substantial amount of time. Campus transportation is available through busing, but I don't always have time to wait at the bus stop to get to class.

I think that one of the most frustrating things about NC State is the large class sizes for the general classes like Chemistry 101 and Calculus 1. It makes it difficult to get personal attention from the professors sometimes.

Chelsey

Coming from a very small school in Winston Salem, NC, the most frustrating thing would be the size of the campus itself. Being the largest public school in North Carolina, walking from one class to another is a pain in the neck. Fortunately, my classes have been pretty close together so far but my roommate always complains about how she has to walk a mile and a half just to get from one class to another. Although the North Carolina State campus is nothing compared to a school like Ohio State, coming from a small school, its huge.

Our sports teams are constantly struggling, but the events are still fun to attend.

The school is really big, so sometimes finding information is difficult and overwhelming.

The dining places on campus each close at a different time and it is difficult to keep up with. I have walked 20 minutes to eat at a particular dining possiblity on campus, only to find it closed at 5:00 in the afternoon.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it does not offer any health majors. I am undecided on a major, but I have been thinking about becoming a physical therapist. If I do want to become a physical therapist then I would have to transfer to another school because NC State does not offer physical therapy.

Nathania

The most frustrating thing about my school is the constant construction and inconvenient locations of buildings. For example, my dorm room is a mere fifty feet from train tracks, which get horribly loud when I try to sleep or study. Also, our main downtown street on campus is Hillsborough Street, and has been undergoing renovation for several years. Lately, some traffic lights have been taken down, and numerous streets, sidewalks and businesses have closed due to haphazard construction. The entire street is messy, noisy and dangerous - a complete turn off from spending time downtown!

The arts don't have much priority here. The Design school feels like a separate entity from the rest of the university. Most of the emphasis is placed on engineering or other 'practical' majors.

Hillary

In large science classes, it seems like the professors have to walk on eggshells about what they can or cannot say when it comes to evolution, etc. There are too many conservative, close-minded students.

Estefania

It is very difficult to get into the classes you want

Vicki

can't win UNC by basketball

K

If you apply to live on campus and then change your mind, for reasons through fault of your own or the administration, you will still be charged a $200 housing cancellation fee.

Lydia

I am forced to work so hard I have little free time.

Faculty and students not taking bigger stand on no drugs/n alcohol policy.

Julian

Bills

My school is working to become more multiculturally competent; however, I feel that we still have some work to do in terms of bringing our students together. We are on the right path though.

It can be difficult to get administrative details taken care of electronically. Generally, if you need something done quickly, it's best to go find the office and talk to the person in charge. Fortunately, they are usually easy to find and not too busy to talk to you. Another potential frustration is the technology. There's so much of it, and some part of it is always being updated, that it doesn't always intermix well. Older systems may not work. Plus there are large groups of Windows, Mac, and Linux users, which can complicate things.

Maggie

In some degree tracks you are one of many and are considered just "a number" instead of a student. Its better to be in a smaller college so that your class size is smaller and your teachers know you personally and by name.

The campus isn't nearly as nice as most other major universities.

Wale

Make copies of all your forms because the admissions office can easily lose your docoments.

kelley

parking

Addison

All the bricks. It's not the prettiest of campuses.

Cheryl

there were some stupid people

The most frustrating thing about my school, besides the brusk farm boys that stand around smoking and chewing tobacco, is the grade scale. At N.C. State an A+ is given a 4.3 GPA value, an A is a 4.0, and A- a 3.6, a B+ a 3.3, and so forth. On the surface it may appear to be an advantage, but it is quite a detriment. The diminished GPA value on the A-, B-, C-, etc. severely cripples the students overall GPA, for which the inflated "plus" values cannot compensate.