North Central Texas College Top Questions

Zachariah

I wish I could travel back in time and tell my younger self that I will not always be healthy and able to labor for a living. When I was eighteen years old, I felt like I was bullet proof and ten feet tall. I assumed I would always be able to perform any kind of labor and, therefore, was not concerned with education. I wanted to immediately join the work force and make my living. I wish I had the chance to explain to myself then that you never know what the future may hold. I would tell myself that without an education to rely on, there is no safety net to support yourself when your body gets older. Now I am almost thirty years old, walking with a cane, and trying to start my life over. The bills didn’t go away, only my ability to physically labor. I wish I had the chance to warn eighteen year old me. It sure would be nice to have a completed degree and a career at thirty years old instead of starting over.

Don't assume that the first college recruiter that says that they'll get you into their college is telling the truth, or can fully back that promise. Apply to more than one school.

Sebastian

If I had the chance to sit my high school senior counterpart down and give him a heads up...it would be as followed. I would have told him to take as many college credit classes as possible, too make this high school too college transition soo much smoother. Granted I know he couldnt afford any of them, I guess I'd also tell him to get a job during the school year or something. I'd also tell him that everything you're doing in academic decathelon is worth it in the long run. I'd tell him not too think too much into what other people say or do...it'll lead you nowhere good. I'd try and help him find the grace of god earliar. I know he's aware of it, and throws alot of trust jesus's way; but he defidently doesnt understand that god loves him and forgives him. I'd let him know that this next year is gonna be rough, tedious, and draining in the emotional, physical, and spiritual sense. That no matter how hard it gets, you can never quit. That god gives his toughest battles, too his strongest soldiers.

Bobbie

If I could go back in time to my senior year, I would tell myself to just apply to a community college in the first place. Community colleges are cheeper, smaller classes, and help you translate to a four year university. They help you more and talk to you personally about what you need to do. Since I first attended a four year university my first freshman semester before a community college my second semester, I know the difference and I feel like community college is a really good way to start you college carrer. Since I have to pay rent and other bills now, going to a community college for those three reasons is one of the best decisions ive made while being in college. Though the prices in a community college are a bit smaller, if I could tell myself senior year, I would still apply for more scholarships to help my personal finances and not have to worry about money so much.

Esther

College has taught me that life is not easy. You need to be your own motivator because no one can help you succeed except yourself. I have met incredible people in my time as a student, mothers with three small children and a full time job while being a full time student and no husband, that's hard. Those are the people who inspire me to keep going and solidify my want to be something in life. College has not been valuable to me so far career-wise, but only because I haven't earned my degree, but I know that it will be more valuable in the future than any title I could hold today. I look forward to the day when I have a steady career and a great family and I know college is the road to get there. College has shown me that I am smart and I can do anything I set my mind to. My experience as a student has been so rewarding in the sense that now I have something to strive for, something that is all my own making. A goal I know I can reach.

Briana

In college, you are taken out of your "home base" atmosphere; moreover, what I mean by home base is that many are born in a certain town, and live there all their life...growing up and going to school with the same people for eighteen years. College is a frightening thought when you first arrive, you are stripped of everything you have known for all your life, and forced to adapt to the new surroundings. You learn so much more in every aspect whenever you are swamped with new findings. The culture, perspectives, and just habit of nature is new...this has been my most valued experiences from college.

Live up to your potential. This is the greatest time in your life, an opportunity that many people to get a chance to partake of. Think about the future and do something that makes your heart beat fast and gives you a reason to get up in the morning. Figure out what you love to do and learn how to make a living doing it. Dont quit and do not give up on yourself. College life is awkward and exciting at the same time, there are many opportunities and decisions to make but do not ever let go of your morals and values, they are what keep you from following everything that comes your way. Always believe in yourself and believe that you can do anything you put your mind to; yes it will be hard work but it will be worth it. Take this opportunity and savor every moment of it, embrace learning, it will take you far. Do not quit even if you feel like you are not going in any direction just keep going because you will find what you love. You can do this, I believe in you.

Linda

The most important thing is to be intentional and leave time for both study and social interaction. Without studying, you will not be successful in scollege. But without finding positive social outlets, you will become very lonely. Don't keep your headphones on; they really do shut other people out and are inconsiderate. Remember that other people around you may be carrying the weight of the world and could use a kind word. Get to know people who are different culturally than you are; it's a great big world and getting to know others personally can broaden your understanding. Your best friend may have grown up in hut in Nigeria. You'll never know until you reach out to others.

If you don't feel like doing the work, then do not waste your time and money by going to college. College is not something you blow off like high school. You go to college to learn and better prepare yourself for the future. If you are only going for the "college experience" you can find beer and a party a lot cheaper than $20,000 a year. If your serious about going to college for the right reasons then you will do great. Just remember with everything you do it must be your best or you wont get your moneys worth.

Kerry

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what i know now about college life and transition, i would tell myself to gather more finacial support for myself so that i can really enjoy the whole college experience to the fullest degree. I would also tell myself to make study a bare necessity because it is ther most vital part of learning and life in general.

After seeing and experiencing college, I would tell myself to keep working for my dreams. Take classes that are going to matter more to the major and hopefully gain extra credits. College is the next step towards the future and it is important to make it worth it. I would say to work hard, do not give up, but also have fun. Do not engross yourself into just work and school. Allow time for friends becuase it can become overwhelming and lonely with just work and school. Senior year is the best year of high school so take classes that will help you and do not slack off and take easy road. It will be worth it in the end. Lastly, ask for help. Do not just try to figure eveything out on your own. Family, friends, and teachers are there and are willing to help.

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself "Stick with it. It might be hard now, but it will be worth it sooner than you know it!" The reason I would give myself this advice is because I choose to not go to school immediately following high school. I graduated early from high school and went to work at a local business and lost interest in my education. I think I would also let myself know that getting my education now is so much easier when you are young and single than when you are married and 10 years older! I think my past self would also have benefitted from this little tip too: Don't skimp on effort! Putting a whole hearted effort into my final year of high school would have made a huge difference in my current life situation. If I had been asked then Where do you see yourself in 10 years, I would have answered: Big house, nice job and great salary. Ask me today the same thing, and I will give the same answer, but I should be there NOW!

Juana

I left school for 4 years. When I look back and see that I was in the top 25{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my class, and was enrolled in AP classes, I look down on myself for not enrolling in college right away. Infact, since most of my friends have already graduated from college, I started to feel as I have failed. If I were given the opportunity to go back in time, the best advise that I would tell myself is to go to school when I know that the time is right. Although I have been hard on myself, I know and value that I waited to go back to school. I have applied myself and know what my priorities are and I know that I would not have realized them back when I was 18. I would also tell myself to not wait until the last minute to start applying for scholarships, the money issue really does affect how many classes I will be attending.

D.

Take it slow. There is no need to try and get it all done in the time frame that school gives. This will enable you to get the best grades because the class work load is not so large. You'll have more time and engery to focus on 2 to 3 classes instead of 4 or 5 classes. Be sure that activies outside of your classes is not overloading you as well. For example a job, make sure the time you spend at yous job is not streesing you out over your classeswork. Apply for as many scholarships as possible to enable you to have the extra leway with your job. Start at a community college were you can get the basic out of the way for alot less money than at a big university. Take time for yourself to relax, and have some fun. It will give you a fresh look on your class work and keep you from getting burned out.

chelsey

Hold your head up there will always be tough times in life and worrying about the little stuff wont get you anywhere but nowhere. Don't be afraid to ask questions and push for answers. Dont give up because of financial set-backs... there is always a way to succeed regardless of your current situation. Dont let anyone tell you that you cant do what you love or have a passion for. Most of all... have fun. Let loose and try new things, make as many new friends as you can. It will truley open so many doors. Save every penny, and do what needs to be done ASAP. Dont wait until the last min or the day before the dead line... get your work done early and have time for friends and family after so you can rest easy the day before class or registration and get the sleep you need. Be Positive.

Ethan

If I could go back to my senior year of high school I would tell myself to study and pay more attention in class because college is more difficult than high school and teachers are not as lenient about late work. I would also tell myself to enjoy my last year of high school because a lot will change after graduation, not necessarily for the worse, but it is important to enjoy the time I have left with my friends and in my hometown as a high school senior; talk to people, have fun, and don't worry about the future or wish it would come sooner than it will.

I would tell myself to stick with it and not to quit. I know some of the classess are boring and you are wondering if you will ever need to know some of the things you are having to learn. You probably wont every need some of those things in your future but those classes are making you a more well-rounded person. I would also tell myself that even if you are not sure about your major go to school anyway because you will discover what you want to do along the way. Things are going to come along the way to distract you from school, like boys and friends but stay in school and dont quit. Be sure to study and get good grades it will help give you confidence, but most important dont forget to have fun. Enjoy the college life. Meet lots of new people and really love this time in your life. Stay true to who you are and to always remember that you can do this.

Chirag

There are many difference between high school and college. Many people have different feelings about high school and college. College life is very different than high school life. In high school people enjoy lots of things and they are out of tensions, but when they come to college they have to be dependent. The advive that I would give to myself is take high school seriously and work harder so that it is easy when one goes to college. I also work really hard in high school and got got good grades so that now it is easy for me to go to college. It really helps me. I love my high school and college too because both makes us successful in out life. Education is really important for me because from education I can earn enough money so that I can help my family. The mpst important thing in college is scholarships. Scholarships really help us to become successful because our goal is to get better education.

Carol

"Self, you are a teenager with responsibilities including but not limited to: maintaining a part time job to put food on the table and being a leader in the band as section leader and band director assistant while maintaining a 4.25 GPA. I am about to add more to your plate. You will soon begin the tedious process filling out scholarships and applications for colleges. I know that you are excited about heading into nursing school. You will have all the responsibility of homework soley on you because your professors will primarily give final grades based on tests and essays. This means do your homework when you receive it and absorb the information. Do not procrastenate! This will send you into a spiral downward as you will be always trying to catch up. Take chances and make friends and study motivated buddies that will push and be the accountability in the transition. Most importantly, however, is to communicate with all of your professors and let them help if you are struggling at all. These professors always have some sort of tutoring or enhancements in order to help in the absorbtion of material. Keep focusing and you will succeed."