North Central University Top Questions

Kashia

If I had the chance to go back to High School and give myself an advice I would tell my self, study extra hard, take all my class seriously. Get good grades and do PESO, take all the generals you need before going into college.

Hillary

I would first and formost tell myself to take my studies as a high school student seriously. Your work quality definitely affects the scholarships you're going to be given as well as the opportunities in college. If you don't have a great work ethic, you are going to spend a lot of time waiting inbetween just to try and get back to college. I'd definitely tell myself to take advantage of the study opportunities given. I'd say that I'd need to hit the books harder even if at all. All the social time you spend engaging in during your senior year truly ammounts to nothing! You don't take that with you after high school. You are all going to go your seperate ways & you're not going to even see eachother again, really. So, don't invest your time in being a social butterfly. It's your last year, give it your all.

Do not procrastinate! You should make a checklist of everything you need to hand in before school starts. This includes FAFSA, payments, housing, etc. Also fill numerous of scholarship applications. The amount shouldn't matter; every bit counts. If you have a job, save money. Try to buy items you may need for school or your dorm. Also keep track of all the deadlines. Turn everything in on time. One last advice is, select the best college for yourself. Visit all the colleges you are interested in and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Garth

I would tell myself to keep pushing through and keep the grades higher than they were, even though they were not bad. I would remind myself how much college would be and just to really try my hardest to get the best grades that I possibly could. And to have fun in college and work hard, but relax sometimes, you won't be able to do everything you want to but enjoy the time!

I have gotten a new sense of responsibility from my college experience. College is very different from high school, there isn't anyone there telling you that you have to attend class every day. College is also a lot more expensive than high school. It is very important to attend college to understand what it's like to be a grown up. If I wasn't enrolled in college, I wouldn't have any idea just how hard life can be at times. Attending college is more important than ever right now due to the economy. There aren't many jobs available nation wide, but they seem slightly more attainable with a college degree.

Quality relationships with the students in dormlife have been the greatest value to me at this school. I have learned many things about myself and my outlook on life and relationships while I have been here.

I got the degree I needed to continue my education. I also found it quite valuable to leave home and move far away, giving myself a chance to develop in a new social realm. Even more important than the classroom lessons were the lessons I learned about myself. I was able to learn what I wanted to keep from my upbringing, and what new perspectives I wished to incorporate. Ultimately, "going away to college " allowed me to examine myself and my beliefs, and develop my own worldview with which to enter my adult life.

Although I am only in my 2nd semester of my freshman year, I have already matured so much from my college experience. One of the most valuable lessons I have learned is that college really isn't as hard as many people make it out to be. The key to success is staying on top of your homework, saying no to those friends who always distract, and learn to prioritize everything. The freedom which college brings is not always as freeing as I thought. With freedom comes paying for things out of your own pocket, remembering all your scheduled events, and difficult decisions that are made without a parent guiding your every move. But, each and every experience has been immensely valuable and will help guide me in my future endeavors.

I would start out with saying, "Brittney, you need to stop spending all that money on things you don't need!" College is an extremely different world than high school will ever be. Being a senior in high school means you're the 'top dog' of the whole entire school. That isn't the case once you become a college student. There are so many more responsibilites that you take on as a college student than you did as a 17 year old. Money, money, money becomes a huge part of your everyday life. Do I need this? Should I get that? Living on a college income hit me really hard once I got here. I worked all the time when I lived back home, but spent the money on fast food, clothes, or going out to the movies. Thankfully, I am responsible and in control of my finances now. I limit myself to the needs instead of the wants. Also I would give myself advice about starting to make friends right away. I'm a social person, but extremely shy. Finances and friends are important in anyones life. We just need to learn that balance between them.

Step out of your comfort zone. You may be shy, but how are you going to be ok away from everything you know if you don't step out? Try new things, make new friends, stay up late, be a college student. You only have four years to experience this season in your life. Make the most of it.

Your friends in high school may have been cruel, but not all people are so untrustworthy. In fact, you will find that a great many people are trustworthy. These are the relationships that make life worthwile. Take time to cultivate them and pour into them and these will end up being the people who fight for your dreams after you've given up on them. The risk of sharing your heart, scary as it may seem, is worth the depth of friendship that it produces. On that note, keep in mind that no risk managements tend to run no win businesses. As for school, work hard. Take every opportunity to learn and better yourself. Learn to accept criticism and grow from it. But do not allow yourself to become a slave to your GPA. Remember that what you do with the things you have now, will determine your advancement or lack thereof. It's really an issue of character....your character off-stage is far more important than, and will determine how you lead on-stage. Oh, and keep it all in perspective, this semester is only one semester in a lifetime semesters and similar deadlines...so enjoy the moment.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior the most important thing I would tell my self is to take my school work seriously. In high school it is so easy to focus on work, sports, and relationships and put off school work. The problem with this thinking is that your accomplishments in high school follow you into your college years. The GPA and study habits that you had in high school most likely indicate who you will be in college.The second most important tip I would give is while having a job and a car in high school is fun and leads to some great times, if you just blow the money you make on those great times you have really just created a chain of bad habbits. You never realize how much of that money you could have saved untill you need it. The final word of advise I would give is to keep your friends close. Sometimes in college the only thing you really need is someone to call back home.

If I were to go back to my senior year and talk to myself, I would tell myself to calm down. I was so afraid of life after High School that I didn't take the risks I should have. I didn't trust the Lord and allow Him to take control, and while I believe I'm at Sandburg for a reason, I know it isn't where I was supposed to be. If I could go back, I'd convince myself to get the loans and assure myself that even if they did get rejected I would be alright. I have had a great college experience, don't get me wrong. But I know it would be a completely different experience in Minneapolis as opposed to in Galesburg. Less stressing and tears would have been a great way to end my senior year, so that is what I would do. I would hit my own palm against my forehead and say, "Taylor! Take a chill pill and do it!"

It's time to learn not to worry, but let give everything to God - put them in His hands.

Maeve

After experiencing about a year of college, I have realized how much students grow when making the transition from a high school senior to a college freshman. If I could give advice to myself as a high school freshman, it would be to learn how to save your money and manage your finances well. Once starting college, you become accountable for yourself, your actions, and your financial decisions. I wish that I would have been smarter with my money and saved up for times that I may be in need. Summer jobs are a great time and place to earn money and save it for future expenses. I would also advise myself not to worry about what everyone else is doing. My college and career choices will directly affect me and my decisions in the future. I would tell myself to set aside time to figure out my future plans and then to stick to them. Goals are also important because they give you something to look forward to in the future. Overall, I would remind myself to continue looking forward and to press on towards the final goal.

Jorge

To have a better future, and be the first one in my family to complete high school and hopefully graduate college with my Associates Degree.

Lainie

Going back and giving myself advice as a high school senior, I would make it clear that keeping the end in mind is important. Thinking about decisions you currently make and the effect that they will have on your ultimate goal is highly benificial. When doing this many things can be accomplished. Saving money with the decision of classes, starting friendships and relationships with people who will matter in your life, and preventing situations that will set you back in your plans are all rewarding outcomes to keeping your end goal in mind with each step you take toward it. Trying to reach a goal with a blindfold on wandering through a maze trying to find it is no way to approach it. By keeping the end in mind, it is the most benificial way to reach it. What could be better than constantly being reminded of what your working for and confirming how important it is to you.

I would say that it college is amazing and some of the best years of your life, but it is not going to be easy. I would inform myself that the world is a lot bigger than I think and that there are a lot of amazing people out there that I should build relationships with to improve my own life. Do not be afraid to take chances every once in a while because some of the biggest regrets can be that you did not take the chance. Do not pack too many clothes. Leave the extra pair of underwear at home. The closets are not that big at college. Save! Save! Save! College is not cheap and any help a college student can get should take advantage of it. Also, if post secondary classes are offered while in high school, take advantage of it. In the long run it will save you a lot of time and money. One last piece of advice that I would give myself is to enjoy it. College is meant to be a time for fun and freedom, but also a time to better yourself and your education.

chad

I would tell my self to be etter and take more classes that cont towrd my collage degree. For example be a PSEO student. Meaning that you take collage classes your senior year and not the high school leavel classes.

Jeff

I would tell my self to go to college sooner, rather then waiting till I was 30.

Always put your best effort into everything that you do. Be aware of how you manage your time and be prepared to put in many hours into studying. You can't be completely dependent on your family to motivate you to get things done. Get involved in extra-curricular activities. Don't let people's opinions or unbelief in what you are capable of doing get in the way of pursuing what you want.

Lydia

I would tell myself to take risks and not be so worried about what others think of me. I would tell myself to get out there and make more friends sooner and to enjoy college. While balance is essential, I would tell myself to put more of an effort into my friendships, while still knowing when to say no to hanging out with others. College is a place to learn but also a place to learn how to stretch in all areas of your life. Don't take things so seriously (or literally), and take a chance when it comes to new things. You might get more out of things once you try them out. We don't get anywhere if we don't attempt new things and are willing to fall if that's what it takes to experience or learn something new.

Joy

Dear High School Senior Joy, It's me Joy, from your future, I'm in my 3rd year of college now. Consider this a little helpful conversation on how you should prepare for your future. First off, music is the most important thing in your life right now, and in the future. Take the time to really apply yourself to personal practicing habits, when you have a full work load it's challenging to remain as disciplined. Be confident in your abilities as a musician and know that your best is all you can give. Be sure to find time for friends and don't just bury yourself in extra credit and assignements. College is going to be the greatest experience of your life, you will attain more knowledge than you ever anticipated. And you will NEVER regret learning. Apply yourself to every class, you never know what you'll wish you payed more attention to. And remember to not just focus on your destination but enjoy the journey along the way.

Patrice

I would actually have to go back even farther, to when I was a Sophmore because I never made it to my Senior year of high school. I would inform my younger self that "this to shall pass". That no matter how hard life seemed at that time as a Sophmore, it would be nothing compared to college. Everything that I was facing at the moment in my life would become insignificant by the time I reached college. High school was my stepping stone in being that much more sucessful in college. To look to the future to see the outcome of what I wanted to be. I would give my younger self a hug, possibly a tissue and let myself know that I am not alone. Many had travelled a road similar to mine and were successfull. But they were only successful because they allowed themselves to succeed. I'd proceed to encourage myself with the fact that God has never left me, nor wold he even by the time I would reach college. To lean on His knowledge, and to place my trust, hope, confidence and strength Him, because He would direct my paths.

First, take a good look at schools to find one that fits you, your personality, and your major. Consider whether you want to be close to home, far away, or somewhere in the middle. Also think about the cost of the schools you consider and how you will be paying for tuition and room and board. To make the most out of your college experience, my advice would be too find a club, group, or sport to be involved in on campus. This will help you meet new people who have something in common with you and is a great way to find friends. Also, don't be shy in class and try to get to know a few people in each of your classes. Not only is this a great way to make friends but also a great way to have study buddies and get better grades! Always be yourself and don't be afraid to show others who you are and you'll have a great time in college!

Well first of all you need to look for a place that has the major that you want to pursue. Which is very self-explanitory. The next thing you should do is visit the possible schools that you could attend. You want to go to a place where you feel comfortable, becasue you will learn and succeed much better in a place where you are comfortable. Finding a school with a good economy around it is good too, because that means it will be easier for you to find a job while at school. Obviously look for a school within your price range, but find the best possible school academically for your buck. And finally find a place where you can be you. You shouldn't have to change your identity just because your at a new school. But really in the end if you stay true to who you are, than no matter what school you go to, your college experience will be a good one. But if your looking for a place North Central University would love to have you. Go Rams!!!

Hilary

visit and pray about it!

Kia

Don't pick a college just because all your friends are going there. Find the one that you feel comfortable going to, that feels like home when you visit, and actually cares about helping you succeed. When you are there, take every opportunity to get to know people. If you live in the dorms, leave your door open. You'd be surprised how many people will stop and say hello. Expect to be challenged. Decide what's really worth fighting for and don't sweat the small things. As for parents, let your child fly. That's not to say that you shouldn't help them when you see they are going to crash and burn. For me, it has been really important that my parents have let me learn my lessons, but when I ask for their help, they are ready and willing. They are still involved in my life, and I value that.

Oluyemisi

Just make sure you are prepared.

joe

Pick a place where you will see diverse perspectives and lifestyles.

I would suggest that parents and students ltogether look closely at every area of the school, not just the areas they like at orientation, but look at every aspect, from the meal plan to the parking plan. Also, look into how much the school works with the students and ask around for what current students do not like about the school, that way every aspect can be considered. Colleges and universities can be a lot of money so make sure it is a school that you love and respect.

There are many different things to consider when looking for the right college. For some it may be all about the althetic department, and for others it may be how well the school does academically. It all goes with how well you can do the little things. For instance, if you get a football scholarship to lets say Notre Dame. You want to make sure that the school is the right "fit" for you. Check out the school, the dorms, sit in a classroom, eat the food, hang with the students, do whatever you need to do to make sure that you are 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} sure that this is the right school for you. Now, just because I mentioned Notre Dame doesn't mean that you have to start there. Go to all sorts of schools, public and private. There is one out there for you. You just have to look for it. I did.

Having been through the process as a recent high school student, helping out with recruiting as a collegiate coach, and looking into further schooling for my Master's, I have had to spend quite a bit of time looking into how students decide on schools. What I've found is that while there is no way that can adequately prepare you for everything about the school, personal experience and relationships are about as close as you can get. I would encourage any potential student to visit the school, at least once, and to see for yourself what you like and dislike about it. College visits aren't a bright new idea, but what you do on them might be. Go with a list of questions and be intentional about connecting with several current students. If a student enjoys their school, they will be glad to take time to tell you about the true 'ins and outs' of the school. With all the social networks it is very easy to stay in touch without it being awkward. This way you get the real feel of the school to add to the scripted response of the paid admissions staff.

I would tell the student to make sure that they know what career they want to go into before they decide on going to college and wasting their money on something they never wanted to do. I would also tell the student to do a thorough check into the competency of the administration in the school as well as what's available to them for housing. A lot of times schools will put on a front and when you get there you don't realize who they are until you're two years into your college education, on the verge of your jr. year, and trapped there because it's to late to transfer, in order to shy away from this I would recommend really doing a lot of research into the school by contacting people who have gone there through facebook and other means.

It is important that while looking for a college you find one that will fit your belief system and will encourage you in the direction that you are wanting to go in. It you have no idea which direction you are wanting to go, it may be wise to pick a more structured community to live is so that you may gain insight in to what your intrests are and have support and direction to accheive goals that you may have. It is also important that you are able to follow rules of conduct and standards that a school has in place. There is no point in applying and attending a school where you will spend most of your time with faculty and staff dealing with discipline becasue you can't follow the rules. It is also important to find out about the social life of a school before you vist to see if you would be comfortable living in that community. It is wise to vist the school prior to attending.

kyle

research about what you want to do and then go from there, dont pick a college that just looks good, find one that fits your needs as far as academics cause thats what you are there for

Abby

Don't waste your time and money on a program you aren't sure about. Choose "undecided" as a major until you are sure.

Find a college that fits who you are. So if you are musically orientated, find one with a major focus in the arts. Essentially find a school that fits everything about you, whether that is a school close to home or on the other side of the country. Also important is going to a school that is going to stretch you. Do not just go to a place that is comfortable and is easy for you. To the parents, let your children have freedom in where they go and not only that be supportive. They will be muvh more liely to listen if you are being supportive and know you support them in whatever they choose. It is there life and you cannot live it for them.

research and visit the colleges you think you might be interested. Stay over night if possible when you visit. Get to know the area surrounding the colleges so you can get a grasp of what is available, lifestyle, etc. Once you're in, reach out. Do things you may not have before. Look for quality relationships that will last. And although initially you are there for school, don't forget to have fun once in a while.

Valerie

Let God lead u.

Lauranna

Do not be discouraged in your search for the right college. Keep looking untill you find the one thats right for you and offers what you want to study. Talk to the professors and see how open they are to helping their students. Also talk to the students because this will give you an open and unbiased view of what the college is really like. Visit it as many times as you can and try to sit in on some of the classes. See what they offer for financial aid and scholarships but remember that even if you do not get a lot of financial aid towards the school of your dreams, sometimes it is worth it to spend the money to get a good education and go where your heart is.

Aleithia

Make sure that you are going to a school that has a solid program that you intend to study. However, community is also important. Make sure that you feel at home.

College has the potential to be the best investment of your life, but you are the one who determines whether it has fantastic returns or dismal ones. Begin by making a list of skills that you want to build or enhance before you enter the "real world." Don't forget to include social and relational skills, physical or athletic goals, spiritual disciplines, and artistic experiences. Next, think carefully about what teaching styles unlock your imagination and what settings encourage you to thrive. Consider what groups and clubs you want to join. Do not rule out college athletics. Pick two or three schools that meet most of your qualifications and get as much information about them as you can. Compare them point-by-point. Also compare the costs. Remember that some expensive schools compensate with generous scholarships. Visit each campus in person and talk with the staff, faculty, and students. Once you chose a school, the real investment begins. The best school will let you down if you do not take personal, active responsibility for your success. Most shortfalls in any school can be overcome choosing to do whatever it takes to chase your dreams and reach your goals.

Apply to multiple colleges, whether or not you are interested in them. The more options the better.

Gregory

I would tell students and parents to take there time and right down ten interests or wants in their college then look for those wants and make sure atleast your top 3 are in that college. It's important to feel safe and comfortable in the place you learn. Rememeber nothing is perfect, but it can be managable. Good Luck!!

Be focused. Some schools have a lot of cool things to offer, but won't necessarily help in your career choice. College is certainly a fun time, but you will have fun regardless. Don't pick a school for it's "enjoyment factor." Pick it because when you graduate from there, you will be ready to go into your field, and be the best possible.

Look at a lot of different schools. Don't limit yourself to the nicest campus in the best area. Your program is the most important feature to look for in a school. Consider which school will best accommodate you and your needs; you are going to be paying them 60k + over the next four or five years, so be as picky as you want! Do not settle for less than you had originally planned. It can be hard at first, but don't let where your friends are going be the determining factor in where you want to go to school. Your college friends are likely to be the ones that last!

Make sure that you research what the school is like. One of the things that really helped me in choosing my school was building a relationship with a current student. It is also very important to visit the school and get a tour from someone specifically a student, because they can get you a little more insight sometimes on what the campus is really like. The staff tours are good as well, for more practical reasons. When you get to college, don't expect it be anything like high school was. It is so much different both academically and socially. Prepare yourself to be challenged and pushed acedemically, it won't always be easy, but you can do it. They wouldn't have accepted you if they didn't think you could.

Connie

Make sure you check out the school before you get there - preferably on a visit day. It can make or break your decision. Just beacuse the website says that they are an awesome school - go there in person first.

First, I would suggest looking at as many colleges as possible to make sure that you've covered all of your options. Second, choose a school based on their programs, whether or not they offer the major/classes you're looking for, if it is affordable, if it feels comfortable for you, and if you can see yourself attending. Don't choose a school because your boyfriend/girlfriend or friends are choosing it. You may end up ending your relationship with these people and be stuck in a school that doesn't fit you. To make the most of your college experience, live on campus your first couple of years. The dorms are a great place to meet new friends and to learn how to live in a community. Attend campus events, join clubs, and volunteer in and around your school. Take classes to learn the content and apply it to what you want to do in the future instead of working for the grade alone. Take your education seriously but remember to have fun and enjoy this time in your life. It only happens once!