Fargo, ND
North Dakota State University-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Dakota State University-Main Campus

Kendall

My advice to myself would be that I need to be more prepared than I was. It would be really nice to sit down with my advisor and prioritize all classes I needed to take and then catagorize them in difficulty level. Therefore I could spread out my really tough classes in each semester and not have to take a Biology and a Physics class all in the same semester. It could also help me with having the easier classes spread out so I could balance out each sememester and how much homework I would have to do. This would have made obtaining my associate's degree easier and allowed me to be farther along in my education.

Andrew

NDSU has free washers and dryers in Residence Halls, unlimited meal plan, a lot of food options on campus such as Taco Bell, Hamburger Stand, Hoggie Hut, and they also have a lot of food options just off campus like Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebees, Burger King, Mccdonalds, Subway, and Jimmy Johns.

Never ever take 19 credits plus Marching Band your first semester of college. Try to have more fun and get more envolved with activities right away. Keep your grades up and study more often.

I tell them that NDSU has great activities to participate in, such as Hall Government, Band, and Fraternities and Sororities. I also like to tell them that we have an unlimitied meals program and one of the dinning centers stays open till 10:30 at night. NDSU also has just a great atmosphere around it that just makes you feel right at home when you are on campus. We have many food options on campus and off campus. Lastley I like that the washers and dryers are free when you live in a Residence Hall.

Shawna

My classmates are hard working, encouraging, caring and passionate people when it comes to both their social lives and school work, as well as out-of class related work.

I would tell myself to not be closed about going to different schools. I should have applied for more schools right off the bat instead of transferring here later. It is wise to keep one's options open and look for the best financial situation that has a strong program in one's major.

The best thing about my school is the support that both faculty, professors and other students give. It's like seeing family every day.

Brandia

I would advise myself to separate myself from my family and my friends a little sooner than I did it would have made the transition so much easier. It would have been less painful, although still painful. I also would advise myself to get help from teachers and not go home much. Teachers are a great asset to your college experience they don't just help you in class, but can serve as references for jobs. Not going home as much would better acclimate you to being away from friends and family. Meet as many people as you can just go talk to anyone no one will think it's weird. Stay in contact with high school friends but not too many because that will just make more ties to home instead of cutting those ties.

The best thing about NDSU is smaller campus. After you've been here for a week you know where everything is. It's small enough that everything is within walking distance, even some restaurants. There are buses for the downtown campus, but you don't need to go downtown unless you have a class there or live there, so it's easy to avoid going if you don't want to.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the weather I am a warm weather person and it is very very cold up here in the winter especially with the wind. The school drew me in though and I absolutely love the campus, people, organizations, and classes. It's frustrating because this is the college for me but not the weather for me.

Sara

In the smaller classes, such as 20-30 students you really connect with fellow classmates because most of them happen to be in your major, so you form friendships to help each other out.

I would advise myself to take more college-geared classes in high school. When I first got to North Dakota State University I had no clue how to study, and I didn't know where to go for help. I would also tell myself don't be afraid to go to tutor, needing extra help does not mean your any less intelligent. Everybody needs help from time to time and tutors relieve some of the stress from your life. I would also tell myself when doing college visits to sit in on a class and see how the atmosphere feels. And lastly I would tell myself to visit as many schools as possible, I only visited one, you never now if one school would have been an excellent fit if you only visited one university.

I wish I would have known better study techniques, when people tell college is way different then high school, believe them!

Joshua

The distance away from home, average yearly price, balanced with the strength of North Dakota State University's engineering program strongly weighed into why I chose this school. Only being 4 hours away from home, I can visit on a weekend, but still be able to be independent. North Dakota State University is also strong in the field of study I wish to become employed in, a definite advantage. The cost of attending North Dakota State University is also in the appropriate range for me as a young student.

The first thing I would advise myself about to not worry about adapting to collage life. It?s just like summer camp. More importantly, I would give myself advice about searching for scholarships. Loans are not as easy to pay or receive as I had once believed. The solution for this is to search more diligently for grants and scholarships during my senior year of high school. A second thing I would advise myself to do is understand the process of making a resume even better. Resumes are used in collage applications, job applications, as well as in scholarship applications. A better understanding of how to make and strengthen a resume would be invaluable experience before I started my summer jobs and scholarship applications. The last thing I would give myself advice with is the FAFSA form. Do not go to 'anything.com' only go to the '.gov' sites. Most other ones cost money and are scams. Other than these things, there is nothing overly important that I would tell myself about collage.

The disadvantages of my school are divided between its relatively unknown reputation, and the extreme weather. Because of the widely known University of North Dakota, the school I attend is somewhat overlooked, a disadvantage when looking for a career after my education. Also, the extreme cold and windy conditions have some risk involved. The ice and snow increase the chances of accidents and health problems. However, an experience that is difficult to overcome is usually advantageous in the long run.

Josephine

Classmates keep to themselves and help out people if they need it.

Classmates keep to themselves and help out people if they need it.

Get involved, it is going to be awkward at first for everyone so dont be afraid. Keep your ties with old friends. Talk to people in classes.

I wish I would have known where buildings were, how to communicate with classmates better, and ways to take notes in classes.

Traveling back in time to high school, I would tell myself that college will be tough, it will try my patience, my study skills, my emotions, and my well-being. I would tell myself that while that sounds discouraging, I have always loved my education, will always love attaining an education, and I am strong enough to withstand the difficulties of the college life. I would also advise my younger self to not be as afraid of people as I have been in the past, it will take opening up to strangers and trusting them to grow and make a successful transition. Also, I would reassure her that she will enjoy her classes, and that she will receive a quality education, no matter how tough it may seem. There are so many opportunities that you will be open to, do not regret your choice to move away from home to a school that will raise your expectations of yourself and will push you to achieve goals you never knew you set before yourself.

A person who is comfortable in a large group setting, able to understand professors with foreign accents, and enjoys a diversity of people should attend this school. Also, a student who is interested in psychology, athletics, agriculture, or pharmacy would find NDSU particularly helpful for their academic and career future.

If a person does not do well in a large classroom setting, has any difficulty walking long distances at a fast pace, or does not wish to walk in very cold temperatures a majority of the school year, he/she should not attend this school.

Abigail

I would remind myself that school is the most important thing coming up. While there are classes that are more boring that drying paint, they are still important to building a strong and fulfilling future. I would also remind myself to keep up the study habits that I mainitained through highschool but have found to be slipping on saturdays when there are games to go to and other events other than homework going on.

I find that the class sizes are often times too big. This makes communicating with the proffessors very difficult when more help is needed or if you just need to discuss a matter with them. I would not say that they are unreasonable and will never meet with their students, it is just the the amount of students they see on a daily basis can overwhelm them.

I love NDSU. The only frustrating thing about the school is the lack of student participation in campus events, including sporting events. The unity that often exists within a community of college students is often vitally linked to the amount of involvment that students have in thier surrounding. I would like to see more Green and Gold gathered at games, socials, and whenever there are festivals for varrious groups.

Eric

In the past, North Dakota State University has been known for its strong focus on argricultural education and research. Though it still carries a strong reputation for that, current times are placing a much stronger focus also on the Art, Architecture and Landscape Architecture programs which are now housed in the new downtown campus. Currently, the Architecture program here ranks among the top 25 in the country.

Be prepared for that which you cannot necessarily prepare for. Without a doubt, money should be saved, grades should be maintained with the utmost care and secondary schools should be scrutinized, but the single idea to keep in the forefront of your mind is openness. You are bound to make mistakes. Maybe you will change your major four times, or fail a class, or whatever it may be. While I am not justifying any sort of wrong doing here, I do believe that there is value to be taken from things that don't go according to the preconceived plan. The bottom line is that this is college; this is an investment in an education, in life, that no matter what, no one can ever take away from you. Avoid getting too tied down at this point. Time, as well as a vibrant education will reveal limitless opportunities, and even when you're not in class, college will leave you with things no one will ever be able to rob you of.

Someone who seeks to get a solid education in virtually any field, and take advantage of the opportunities of a rapidly growing research university. A tolerance of cold weather is also a must.

North Dakota State University-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.