Fargo, ND
North Dakota State University-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Dakota State University-Main Campus

Brandia

I would advise myself to separate myself from my family and my friends a little sooner than I did it would have made the transition so much easier. It would have been less painful, although still painful. I also would advise myself to get help from teachers and not go home much. Teachers are a great asset to your college experience they don't just help you in class, but can serve as references for jobs. Not going home as much would better acclimate you to being away from friends and family. Meet as many people as you can just go talk to anyone no one will think it's weird. Stay in contact with high school friends but not too many because that will just make more ties to home instead of cutting those ties.

The best thing about NDSU is smaller campus. After you've been here for a week you know where everything is. It's small enough that everything is within walking distance, even some restaurants. There are buses for the downtown campus, but you don't need to go downtown unless you have a class there or live there, so it's easy to avoid going if you don't want to.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the weather I am a warm weather person and it is very very cold up here in the winter especially with the wind. The school drew me in though and I absolutely love the campus, people, organizations, and classes. It's frustrating because this is the college for me but not the weather for me.

Sara

In the smaller classes, such as 20-30 students you really connect with fellow classmates because most of them happen to be in your major, so you form friendships to help each other out.

I would advise myself to take more college-geared classes in high school. When I first got to North Dakota State University I had no clue how to study, and I didn't know where to go for help. I would also tell myself don't be afraid to go to tutor, needing extra help does not mean your any less intelligent. Everybody needs help from time to time and tutors relieve some of the stress from your life. I would also tell myself when doing college visits to sit in on a class and see how the atmosphere feels. And lastly I would tell myself to visit as many schools as possible, I only visited one, you never now if one school would have been an excellent fit if you only visited one university.

I wish I would have known better study techniques, when people tell college is way different then high school, believe them!

Joshua

The distance away from home, average yearly price, balanced with the strength of North Dakota State University's engineering program strongly weighed into why I chose this school. Only being 4 hours away from home, I can visit on a weekend, but still be able to be independent. North Dakota State University is also strong in the field of study I wish to become employed in, a definite advantage. The cost of attending North Dakota State University is also in the appropriate range for me as a young student.

The first thing I would advise myself about to not worry about adapting to collage life. It?s just like summer camp. More importantly, I would give myself advice about searching for scholarships. Loans are not as easy to pay or receive as I had once believed. The solution for this is to search more diligently for grants and scholarships during my senior year of high school. A second thing I would advise myself to do is understand the process of making a resume even better. Resumes are used in collage applications, job applications, as well as in scholarship applications. A better understanding of how to make and strengthen a resume would be invaluable experience before I started my summer jobs and scholarship applications. The last thing I would give myself advice with is the FAFSA form. Do not go to 'anything.com' only go to the '.gov' sites. Most other ones cost money and are scams. Other than these things, there is nothing overly important that I would tell myself about collage.

The disadvantages of my school are divided between its relatively unknown reputation, and the extreme weather. Because of the widely known University of North Dakota, the school I attend is somewhat overlooked, a disadvantage when looking for a career after my education. Also, the extreme cold and windy conditions have some risk involved. The ice and snow increase the chances of accidents and health problems. However, an experience that is difficult to overcome is usually advantageous in the long run.

Josephine

Classmates keep to themselves and help out people if they need it.

Classmates keep to themselves and help out people if they need it.

Get involved, it is going to be awkward at first for everyone so dont be afraid. Keep your ties with old friends. Talk to people in classes.

I wish I would have known where buildings were, how to communicate with classmates better, and ways to take notes in classes.

Traveling back in time to high school, I would tell myself that college will be tough, it will try my patience, my study skills, my emotions, and my well-being. I would tell myself that while that sounds discouraging, I have always loved my education, will always love attaining an education, and I am strong enough to withstand the difficulties of the college life. I would also advise my younger self to not be as afraid of people as I have been in the past, it will take opening up to strangers and trusting them to grow and make a successful transition. Also, I would reassure her that she will enjoy her classes, and that she will receive a quality education, no matter how tough it may seem. There are so many opportunities that you will be open to, do not regret your choice to move away from home to a school that will raise your expectations of yourself and will push you to achieve goals you never knew you set before yourself.

A person who is comfortable in a large group setting, able to understand professors with foreign accents, and enjoys a diversity of people should attend this school. Also, a student who is interested in psychology, athletics, agriculture, or pharmacy would find NDSU particularly helpful for their academic and career future.

If a person does not do well in a large classroom setting, has any difficulty walking long distances at a fast pace, or does not wish to walk in very cold temperatures a majority of the school year, he/she should not attend this school.

Abigail

I would remind myself that school is the most important thing coming up. While there are classes that are more boring that drying paint, they are still important to building a strong and fulfilling future. I would also remind myself to keep up the study habits that I mainitained through highschool but have found to be slipping on saturdays when there are games to go to and other events other than homework going on.

I find that the class sizes are often times too big. This makes communicating with the proffessors very difficult when more help is needed or if you just need to discuss a matter with them. I would not say that they are unreasonable and will never meet with their students, it is just the the amount of students they see on a daily basis can overwhelm them.

I love NDSU. The only frustrating thing about the school is the lack of student participation in campus events, including sporting events. The unity that often exists within a community of college students is often vitally linked to the amount of involvment that students have in thier surrounding. I would like to see more Green and Gold gathered at games, socials, and whenever there are festivals for varrious groups.

Eric

In the past, North Dakota State University has been known for its strong focus on argricultural education and research. Though it still carries a strong reputation for that, current times are placing a much stronger focus also on the Art, Architecture and Landscape Architecture programs which are now housed in the new downtown campus. Currently, the Architecture program here ranks among the top 25 in the country.

Be prepared for that which you cannot necessarily prepare for. Without a doubt, money should be saved, grades should be maintained with the utmost care and secondary schools should be scrutinized, but the single idea to keep in the forefront of your mind is openness. You are bound to make mistakes. Maybe you will change your major four times, or fail a class, or whatever it may be. While I am not justifying any sort of wrong doing here, I do believe that there is value to be taken from things that don't go according to the preconceived plan. The bottom line is that this is college; this is an investment in an education, in life, that no matter what, no one can ever take away from you. Avoid getting too tied down at this point. Time, as well as a vibrant education will reveal limitless opportunities, and even when you're not in class, college will leave you with things no one will ever be able to rob you of.

Someone who seeks to get a solid education in virtually any field, and take advantage of the opportunities of a rapidly growing research university. A tolerance of cold weather is also a must.

Anna

My classmates are all pretty accepting. I enjoy their company and it is great having people to share the challenges of our architecture class assignments. People I don't share classes with, but live in the same residence hall with are all quite fun. They are always finding something to do as a group and enjoy everyone's company.

Through my transition to college I found it really nerve wracking. If I could go back I would let myself know that the transition to college would not be stressful at all and not to get so nervous about it. I'd tell myself to just breath and enjoy the end of my senior year. I would also remind myself to enjoy planning Teens Giving Back, the youth volunteer event I planned and executed my senior year. I'd remind myself to be extremely grateful to those that volunteer to make Teens Giving Back happen and to give it my all. As a final note to myself I would say, "keep an open mind about everyone you meet, all the places you go, and all the things you encounter, because you never want to wonder what if..." It is the 'what if's of life that will eventually hold people back in the past instead of allowing them to continue on with the rest of their lives.

Since I have to choose what the worst thing is about my school, I have to say that the worst thing about NDSU is that in the winter the temperatures get really, really cold. I wish we had more tunnels, but it is nice that we have tunnels from the High Rise residence halls to the West dinning center.

Kassandra

A place where students and staff come together as one to grow, learn, and have fun.

If I could travel back in time and be a high school senior, I would tell myself to be sure to get involved right away! Don't be afraid to check out new Clubs, Orgs, ect. I would also tell myself to push myself to meet people. In the beginging things seem daunting and a scary, remember that everyone is in the same boat as you, so just go for it! Another thing I would tell myself as a high school senior is to ask for help when you need it. It's never fun if you dig yourself a hole in the begining of the semester, or to feel like you are never able to catch up on your work. My advice: start your homework early, don't wait for Sunday night, it's the easiest cure for Monday morning dreads. Don't forget to get active. Make exercise fun, and make smart eating choices. Another insight I would give myself as a senior is get to know your proffesors! If you email them, or visit them during office hours with questions, they will get to know you and come time for the grade you want to be remembered!

We have an amazing campus. The size is just right, not too big, not too small. There are opportunities for everyone. We are known for our Engineering and Architechure Program. We are ABET accredited. Campus has an awesome Wellness Center and a Perfect Union (Student Center). There are over 200+ clubs and orginizations to get involved in. 13,000+ possible students to meet and become friends with. Great professors, and good sized classes. Affordable!! Has a great communtiy feel around campus. Feels very safe at all times!

North Dakota State University-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.