Fargo, ND
North Dakota State University-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Dakota State University-Main Campus

Blaine

Finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is probably the first major decision in your life. The phrase that gave me the best advice was "Don't be afraid to try something new". Don't go to a college close enough so that you can live at home just because you've never lived away from home. Don't major in something that everyone in your family majors in just because that's all that you've known. Find new hobbies, sports, activities, interests and friends, then get involved in these new things, because this is the last chance you have to explore and figure out what you will be doing for the rest of your life. The one thing that you don't want to change, however, are your values. Stick by your values when making these life changing decisions because they can be counted on to guide you through these decisions. Values will keep you out of trouble that could screw up your life. To wrap it up, college is an experience just like high school was an experience, the only difference is this is your last experience, so make it worth while!

Ryan

The unique thing about this school is that it is a smaller school but has a "big school" feel when it comes to athletics. Not only have we just become devision one in varsity sports, we have also recently expanded our student wellness center to accompany all of the students. They tripled the size of the wellness center and there is always room for students since our school is such a small size!

I would tell parents and students that the student should make sure they tour plenty of schools that they are interested, do not just settle on a college that is close to home. Most importantly, however, the student needs to apply for as many scholorships as possible. During my first year, I did not think that this was a very important part of college, but now in my fourth year, I realize how important scholorships are to college life. Without scholorships, the student may have to get a job outside of school, and that cuts into their schoolwork time. If you have enough scholorships, you have one less thing to worry about and can focus on buying the right textbooks, study guides, and spening your time on studies.

A person who is planning to attend NDSU needs to be able to handle cold weather. There is snow on the ground here at least 4 months out of the year, and the wind chills can get down to fourty below zero. That is probably the biggest drawback of this school, is having to walk to class through the ice, snow, and freezing cold weather!

Christopher

My classmates are friendly, helpful, studious people who strive to do their best when it comes to the courseload but still retain their individuality and social lives.

Advice is usually a tricky thing to give. Every person's life is different and each individual goes through different challenges in life. There are a few pieces of advice that I can give, though. The first is for the parents: Don't push any certain school on your child if that is not their first choice. This happened to me and I spent one schoolyear in a place that I did not want to be and it was a miserable experience. My second piece of advice is for the prospective students: Apply to as many schools as you want and choose your favorite. There's no use in going to a school where you really don't want to be. And don't worry about making friends, there will be friends for you at any school you attend.

I can only see two types of people that should not attend this school: the students that are striving for a degree in art and students who can't stand the cold. The focus at NDSU is in the Engineering, Architecture and Agriculture programs and although Art is offered, there are other school even in the area that will offer a better program. It also gets very cold in the winter time, with lots of snow and wind chills getting into the negative 50 degree range.

My school is a fun place to learn and be social.

My school is a fun place to learn and be social.

You need to visit the schools that you are looking at in all weather conditions. Take the tours and talk to actual students, not just the student guides. Walk around the campus by yourself and sit in on a lecture. Start looking for colleges early so you have time to think about your choices and revisit the top ones. If you want to make the most out of your college experience then you need to leave your dorm room and get to know other people. Get involved.

The best thing about my school is the people because together we create an environment that will shape the future.

Alisha

My classmates at NDSU are driven, focused, smart, funny, and (I'm proud to say) some of my best friends.

I believe the most important thing one can do when choosing the "right" college to attend is to make an appointment to visit the campus. A campus tour shows the prospective student what life is really like for people attending that university. Not only will one get a feel for the social, academic, and living situations on campus, he/she will also get a feel for the distance between the campus and their hometown. Distance from family sometimes plays a big role in deciding which school to attend. Once getting to college, I believe one should take full advantage of any oganizational "fairs" the college puts on. They may look "cheesy" or "boring", but they are really good for reaching out to students and getting people involved. Joining one or two groups can make all the difference in the first years of college. Students with the same interests join similar clubs and can become great friends.

One should attend North Dakota State University if his/her goal is to become an independent, hard working, and considerate individual. People who enjoy socializing will also find NDSU helpful as they offer many extracurricular activities and groups. There are over 100 majors to choose from, so almost anyone has the opportunity to involve themselves in the field of their interest. Lastly, NDSU has recently put much of their focus into becoming more ecofriendly, so anyone wishing to make a difference in terms of the environment would find NDSU a great school to attend.

My classmates are friendly people who, no matter how busy they also are, will always drop everything to offer help, advice, and encouragement.

The main piece of advice I would give students is to trust themselves and not be afraid. Going to college is a big step in life, and there is a lot of pressure on students to choose the right school, the right field, and the right activities. Choosing the right school out of those that accepted a student can be difficult, but often, the student knows which school will be right for them and have gotten overwhelmed with details of all the schools combined. A student needs to trust him or herself and make the decision on their own. Do not be afraid to try new things in college. There are many exciting courses, organizations, and ways to get involved on campus that can open new interests. Also, do not be afraid to make mistakes. Mistakes are learning tools when used the right way. Finally, college can be the best years of your life. Stay open to opportunities and new ideas, and live in the moment. As the band Relient K sings, "it's funny how you find you enjoy your life when you're happy to be alive."

Students and professors really do care about how you're doing. They are always willing to help.

Heidi

First figure out what you want to major in, or at least what your interests are. By doing this you can find a school that has classes that will fulfill any of your interests, so you won't have to attempt to transfer credits. Also, make sure you tour the campus that you're interested in, because even though it may sound perfect on paper, it may be completely different than what you want. In the end though, the main thing is to make a list of your interests and find a school that can cater to most if not all of you're interests, because then chances are that you'll be able to find someone with the same interests as you and it will make your college experience that much better if you're not missing something that you enjoy doing.

How early to turn in the housing assignments, since the dorms and other living facilities on campus fill up extremely fast compared to some schools.

Anybody who wants a good education for a lower price. People interested in the Agriculture and Engineering fields will find a lot of oppurtunities here compared to some other colleges.

Lawrence

I encourage students starting at NDSU to stay in the freshmen dorms, and to get involved with some organization that interest you as soon as possible. Consider taking a class that interest you each semester that doesn't really relate to your major, unless you are already overloaded. It is nice to have a change of pace, and it could lead to minor in something. "Non-required" homework really should be done because your teachers will expect you to have gained knowledge from that material and test you on it.

There is a great sense of community. The campus puts in effort to plan events that will interest students and build up school spirit, especially at the beginning of the year. This makes it very easy to meet people. The freshman-only dorms are also very helpful for meeting people when students start school. Most rooms leave their doors open if they are there for the first couple weeks, and a good number of people do this entire year.

The biggest surprise was probably how windy it can get up here in the winter. I can handle cold well enough, but the wind coupled with it can get brutal if you're not properly clothed for it. In terms of the school, there isn't much I would have liked to know ahead of time. The freshman dorms could get loud at times, especially when it seemed a good time to go to sleep, but I'm glad I stayed there to meet people.

My classmates are always there for me; they help me with my homework and make sure I succeed, and my classmates and I never let anyone fail the course.

My advice to parents and students about finding the right college is find a college that best fits your needs. Pick out the qualities you want to see in a school, such as cost, class size, how big the campus is, is it close to home, ect. As for making the most out of the college experience, get involved on campus, find something that you really enjoy and stick with it. Most campuses have tons of clubs and usually you can find something that fits your interests. Be involved on campus and get to know people, in the long run it will pay off.

The best thing about NDSU is the postive interactions between the students and how everyone is always getting along and being friendly. I feel like this quality in a school is important because it makes the transtition to college easier knowing that you have someone to go to for help and support.

Rachelle

For the most part they are pretty nice and willing to help.

For the most part they are pretty nice and willing to help.

I would say it's best to find a college that offers an education in the career field you are most interested in. Then I would try to find a happy balance between the quality of the education and the expense.

I think there are a lot of different people at NDSU, and almost everyone would find something or someone they like. I guess a person who likes really big cities wouldn't like NDSU.

North Dakota State University-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.