Fargo, ND
North Dakota State University-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Dakota State University-Main Campus

Matthew

When you get to college, sell your xbox and don't buy that laptop, buy a external hard drive and a few flashdrives. The school has plenty of resources available 24/7 so you don't need to have that new laptop. Sell the xbox because it is a distraction and you can use all that extra time to take advantage of all the resources NDSU has to offer. Also, go to those new student things you never know who you will meet. Finally I'd get the winning lottery ticket numbers for a predetermined date, mark them down, and give them to my former self.

The focus on STEM fields. They do a lot to keep on the leading edge of technology on campus and are currently building a new state-of-the art STEM facility. On top of that, the professors often really care about student success. Which is surprising given that teacher to student ratio is incredibly high with my lowest class being 1-22 (which happened once) and the average being about 1-41 from what I've experienced.

A person who needs low student to faculty ratio to feel welcomed to this school.

Brooke

While NDSU's campus is fairly large, the students that attend this university are friendly, welcoming, and very religious. They make it a point to welcome any new student into the Bison family and help them make the transition into college life. During times of crisis, the students rally together with open arms to offer support to anyone who needs it.

If I were to go back to my high school self and give her advice about what to expect in college, I would first tell myself not to make a big deal about the transition. It was a very easy transition from high school to college and I spent a lot of my time stressing about it. The next thing I would tell myself is to go out and make the most of the opportunities presented to me. I would tell myself to join clubs, go to church related organizations, talk to the girl down the hallway. During my first semester, I spent a lot of time in my room, or only going out with my room mate instead of meeting new people. Finally, I would tell my high school self not to bring so many clothes. It's very hard packing clothes into a tiny dresser, especially when a lot of them are clothes that you aren't going to wear.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the large number of students in each class. I'm very used to having a class with about twenty students in it, so coming into a classroom that can have as many as three hundred students in it is not only intimidating, it's very frustrating because I feel like I could be just another number to the professors.

Margalit

My classmates are very friendly and very proud of their school, though they tend to stay in same-race/culture/religion groups...

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I'm going to miss home more than thought I would; that I'm going to call my mom every day, and she'll be thrilled. I'd tell myself that it's going to be difficult sometimes, and I'll feel like giving up, but that everything will work out once I push through it. I'd tell myself that teachers aren't just talking textbooks -- they are people who care about your success, and have a great wealth of knowledge, resources, and experience to share with you. I'd tell myself not to worry about making friends -- everyone else will be worrying about the same thing, and conversations will naturally pop up! I'd tell myself that I am strong and capable, and that I am on the path that will take me the farthest.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the price of the education.

Joseph

North Dakota State University is focused on providing a supportive learning environment to prepare students for future careers and research positions.

My classmates are very willing to assist with course materials as well as provide sensible out of class distractions.

I was always told that getting good grades was the most important thing in college; however, I have learned that being involved with extracurricular activities such as research projects and Student Government is just as important. These activities prepare you for your future career. You learn skills that you cannot learn in the classroom. You meet people and develop a network of contacts. These people end up being your friends, colleagues, advisers, and potential employers. They can help you decide what career is best for you or let you know if you are pursuing a career that you will never enjoy. The people you know can be as important as everything else you learned in college. If you want to be successful, you need both the information and the contacts. That is the advise that I would give myself as a high school senior.

Priya

My school is very organized and fun and has a lot of choices for classes and majors.

I would tell myself to take a lot of AP classes and do well in all my classes. Apply for more scholarships and accept more loans so that I can have extra money to buy books and not run out. You should always check if your professors give good notes and how well they teach at ratemyprofessor.com. Talk to other upperclassmen in your major about which classes to take and which professors are the best. Always stay organized and make sure to always stay on top of your assignments becasue you're expected to do your own work. You need to take responsibility for yourself, in college you have to propel yourself to study a lot more than you do in high school. Take extensive notes and study a lot before test. Due to large lecture halls you don't always have the opportunity to talk to professors so you should go and talk to them and don't wait too long to get help when you're having trouble. Join a club so that you can make new friends. Always stay optimistic, a good attitude and knowing how to handle stress is very important for your success.

Hardworking students who like big lecture halls, many different cultural students, and a lot of fun activities and clubs.

Nicholas

North Dakota State University combines excellent opportunities to excel in academics with a strong foundation of community to make for a successful and rewarding college experience.

Keep doing what you are doing. Next year, you are about to go through a transformation that you cannot plan for. Look for ways to become a better leader, encourage others to strengthen their leadership abilities, and give it all you've got. When you look back on your freshman year of college, I want you to know that you tried your best and made an incredible impact on the school. Look to other people if you ever need help and do not try to do everything by yourself because it is not possible. Your parents are not with you and they will not be helping you pay for college, but don't get discouraged because they support your every step. Apply for as many scholarships as you can so that you don't need to focus on money as much. The most important thing is your education. Things will go wrong, and family members will be sent to prison. Keep a level head and be the best that you can be, and there is no doubt that you will persevere. Stay strong and look to the future. There are better days ahead.

The worst thing about our school is its location. Fargo is windy and cold. It is be reasonable to assume there will be snow on the ground in late October.

Monserrat

The transition from high school student to college student proved to be difficult for me. I was one of those students that didn't try in school but regardless managed to received a mix of good and great grades without effort in challenging courses. In college I tried to continue these habits because it worked well for me. I immediately found out that this was not the way to approach my college courses. College though it's a continuation of your education is its vastly different. The professors treat you like the type of person you are: an adult. They aren't going to remind you of homework assigments. Some profesors don't even assignment homework, which sounds nice right? Well, if there's no homework then your grade is solely based on tests, if you fail the tests you fail the class. I've never had a test curved since I started college, and no help is given to you. You are an adult now, and if you need something get it yourself. If I could I would have told myself to read accordingly to the schedule, and to ask for help the instant I seemed to be struggling.

Brycen

I would explain how college is, and tell myself to continue on the academic path, not to let any feelings hold me back. College is very different than high school, both socially and academically. The classes are strict with deadlines and expect the best from all of us. They are easy to manage at first, however, the later terms become more and more challenging. It may seem overwhelming at first, but in time you will get used to the concept. Another factor is work, class schedules need to work out with the work schedule if income were to meet above expenses. Lastly, there is more to life after graduation, if you feel you didn't do well in your adolescent years, there will be time in your adult life to make it up. College gives people keys to opportunities, and those opportunities open gates to what one really wants to fulfill in their life.

April

My school is alive, colorful, full of potential, and lots of oppertunities to expand and make lots of friends.

Not to be afraid of change, and push yourself to full potiental. Dont be afriad to ask questions, everybody is there to learn. Dont be worried about what everybody else gets on their test, only achieve better then you did the last time. Your in a race of your own, and only you can make yourself better if you want to. Dont be scared to meet new people, go out more and push out of your bubble, and be open to new cultures. Volunteer lots and more doors will open in the future. Its a big stepping stone, and looks scary but push hard and know who you are and be open to the world, its yours to explore and learn from. Enjoy the little things they go by much faster then we realize!

learn better studying habits, and learning how to better manage time.

Kjyrsten

If I could go back, I would tell myself to get better time management skills, because for me that was the hardest thing to do making the transition between high school and college. I would also have told myself to take more PSEO classes than I did as well as become involved right away on campus. One last thing would be to enjoy the little things about college and to go out and spend time with your friends even if it's just for a little bit.

The weather, because right now it's -10 and cold. Some of the main building's hallways are a little small, because they've been remodeling for the past 3 years or so.

The campus is very close togther and that everything is within walking distance. The tuition is reasonalble as well as some of the faculty are the best teachers are the best that I've ever had.

North Dakota State University-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.