Fargo, ND
North Dakota State University-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Dakota State University-Main Campus

Emma

My classmates are focused and driven, and they know how to make the most of their educational experience while making it enjoyable.

I am enrolled in the professional Architecture program at NDSU. All of the architecture courses at NDSU are not on the main campus but on the downtown campus. This is frustrating for two reasons. First off, architecture students must take a fifteen minute bus ride to the downtown campus because there is no parking for students near the downtown campus. Secondly and more importantly, the location of the downtown campus tends to isolate architecture students from the rest of the University's students because so much of our time is spent away from the main campus.

Jenny

North Dakota State University is a great place that offers many different majors with great professors in each field, and also provides many options for extra organizations and groups to become involved in.

At NDSU there is alot of diversity, which provides you with the chance to meet alot of new people from all over and get to know more about their ways of life and culture. Also one thing that stands out is, even though there is around 14,000 students attending NDSU, the professor still will give you one on one help if needed so you do not get lost in the crowd.

When thinking back to my high school self, I notice many different changes. The first thing I would tell myself is your research. By that I mean when selecting which college to attend, where you want to live, and what major you want to persue make sure to get all the information. Making these decisions is alot easier when you are fully informed. I would also tell myself to keep an open and accepting mind. When going from living at home with your parents for 18 years to moving out into a big unfirmiliar world with a lot of new things and people, its easy to get a sour taste in your mouth when things do not always go in your favor. Each person you encounter on your journey has a story, so it is important to remember that before forming an opinion about them. Lastly I would say, even though this period might be scary and nerve racking, enjoy it. Times seems to go by faster with every passing year and these moments that seem daunting or uncomfortable right now will be the ones you look back on as "the good ol' days'".

Anna

I love NDSU. Before I actually started classes I was planning on transferring to a different school for spring semester. I quickly changed my mind. I love the atmosphere, they do a lot to make campus look nice. The staff is friendly and helpful. I really like how they help you without baby-ing you or assuming you know everything. When I have sought out help they answer all my questions and tell me what I need to do. I feel that I am not left to fight for myself yet I feel that I am learning how to get things done for myself. I especially love the dining options. Both of NDSU's meal plans are unlimited so you don't have to worry about rationing out your meals for the week. There are also 3 different dining centers and 2 of those feature 2 different hot lines (in addition to their soup, salad, and sandwich lines) so you can surely find something you like. Also, most of the residence halls are attatched to a dining center (or extremely close) so you don't have to choose between starving and going out in the cold. As far as size goes NDSU has it just right. Campus is big enough so you can feel like you are getting away from your dorm but small enough that you don't freeze solid walking to classes on those cold Fargo winter days. NDSU also has a downtown campus. If you don't bring a car or don't want to drive it you don't have to worry because city buses (which you can ride for free) come through campus every 20 minutes or less I think it is. One of my favorite things is I have not yet had a TA teach any of my classes, and I don't know anyone who has. The one and only thing I don't like is parking. Some lots fill up fast, I can usually still find a spot but sometimes I have to park about 5 minutes (walking) away from my dorm. But if thats the worse thing about NDSU then NDSU is overall pretty awesome.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to NDSU because it was close to home and they had a lot of majors to choose from. I also like the atmosphere I felt when I toured campus. I decided to stay at NDSU because I was thrilled with the quality of my classes and how helpful the staff and professors were.

I hear that a lot of people think that NDSU is full of small town, farm grown agriculture students. Truth is that I only know a couple agriculture students. During my time here I have seen students of every ethnicity, background, and major. I myself am a history and social science education major. My roommate is a vet tech major, my old roommate is a nursing major, and a good friend is a criminal justice major. NDSU attracts all different kinds of students from the midwest region. You'll for sure meet new and interesting people.

Tiffany

The best thing about this school is that it makes me feel comfortable. I have been to other colleges and when I started at this one, I just knew that this is where I fit in. The only complaint I can think of that I have heard was that the school is kind of big, this is true. The students who do not go here do not know how great that is. I understand that some people do not like big schools, but here there are a number of classes and majors that you can choose that offer smaller classes and the opportunity to be known by your classmates and professor. However, one thing I like is a combination of big and small classes as I have had at least one of each every semester and the best part is that you have a copious amount of people to make friends with. If you want a school with a lot of Bison pride, you have found the right one.

Well the students here are very diverse, personally I don't think that many people could feel out of place here. There are so many things to be involved in as I said earlier and even if that is not your thing there are many places on campus for you to be if you don't want to be around the others. When I walk on campus, I see people dressed in mostly sweats. A lot of others just wear jeans or even pajamas. If you are like me I like to dress up every day, or at least most days :) However, there is also a good bunch of students who wear Bison pride wear everyday also.

I haven't had the opportunity to see stereotypes because of the diversity on campus. There are so many things to do or be involved in that you really do have an almost unlimited choice. If you don't see the one thing you want on our student activities list, students are allowed to stop by the Student Activities office and start another club.

Brittney

I would tell myself to not be afraid to take chances and experience new things. The shift from high school to college can be stressful, but it is manageable. The important thing is to take college seriously and work hard. Working hard for what you want in life and particularly in school is an important thing to learn. Being hard-working and determined are both great qualities to have, and I would have told myself to work on strengthening both those qualities before coming to college. I would also tell myself not to fret over the little things. College is a great, new, and exciting experience that every student should enjoy. Worrying over minor things is not worth it and distracts you from your goals and dreams in life.

I wish I had known more information about finanical aid and what comes with it. Some of the financial aid regulations and requirements can be tricky and hard to understand. I wish I had taken more time to learn about them before getting to the school.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of availability of programs. Since it isn't a really large college (although it it decent-sized) it may not have everything that some people are looking for. However, it still offers many great programs and opportunities for students with what it currently has.

Sayuri

My classmates at North Dakota State University are helpful, friendly, willing to learn, and have great potentials in what they wish to achieve in their academics.

Dear High School Senior, The transition from high school to college will be a big change in your life. You will be responsible for everything you do and must discipline yourself through your decisions between your social and academic life. You might encounter situations when it will be difficult to say "no", but always remember to stay true to yourself and make the best choice. Try to find a balance between both sides: social and academics. You will also need to work your best to avoid procrastination, because at the end of the semester, you do not want to be a student who is struggling to get your grade up in that certain course because you procrastinated on studying or doing the work for it. Stay efficient, productive, and give yourself a break from time to time. College is very different from high school, but if you are able to balance things out, you will do great. Yours truly, Sayuri Yang, your college freshman-self

Any person would gladly be welcomed to attend North Dakota State University, but the campus would be more appealing to students who prefer a smaller school setting with close relationships to professors and instructors. NDSU provides students with excellent abilities of communication to instructors as well as tutors via email or in person. A person who prefers very large campuses, a larger school setting, and does not need the communication to professors, instructors, or tutors would probably not appreciate the convenience and structure of this campus.

Tyler

Take advantage of local community colleges. They offer just as high of quality education as a large institution at a fraction of the cost. During my highschool years I worked many hours to get a head start on college payments. By first attending a community college I could have paid of my first two years of school and continued to work to save money for a four year institution. I could have worked less in high school and enjoyed more opprotunities I was given and I would still be able to walk away with a degree with significantly less debt. The education at a four year institution is not better than that of a community college. I overlooked the possibility of staying home a couple more years to get the best education for my dollar, but I have found out that I am at a large university where most of my general classes are not even taught by teachers. Nearly all of my homework is online, undergraduate students teach most of my general courses and I sit in crowded auditoriums with hundreds of students. Do not overlook community college. You will get a high quality education at a reasonable price.

Before I went to college I wish I would have known that the education a community college can offer would be equal to or better than that of a large institution at a fraction of the price. I chose to go straight to a four year university to get the highest quality education for my dollar. After my first semester I learned that many classes are not taught by teachers at all and are crowded with as many as five hundred students. Most of my classes are taught either by undergraduate students or through online homework and testing.

In my experience, the most frustrating thing about college is that many administrative staff do not know how to help me. Before I started this year I had many questions and when I called campus, many times I was transferred to other departments that also did not know how to help me. When I started school there were some financial errors on my first semester bill and I had to go out of my way during the busy school year to call around and find the one person on campus who was able to fix the mistakes.

Signe

FOOTBALL! and research. the president has kept the tradition of football alive in the state

Get involved right away. The college isn't as big as it seems. The professors want you to succeed, they want to help you. College is super fun!

the parking tickets. they do their job but man, give us slack.

shartrice

Research college degrees and the salaries these degree holders produce. Volunteer with a person working in that field to ensure that industry is for you. Have fun in college but watch your grades. It is really smart to start off at a community college, the classess are smaller and you will learn more because oftentimes the teachers are more helpful. Once you transfer to a 4 year University you will do well and could earn a 4.0.

North Dakota State University-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.