North Dakota State University-Main Campus

« See more reviews of North Dakota State University-Main Campus

If I had a chance to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take the ACT over again to achieve a better because most scholarships are based on that instead of the GPA that you worked so hard to keep up. I would also tell myself to join more groups right away because you can have a lot of fun and meet many intresting and new people if you just go out there and give it a chance. I would also tell myself to go out and volunteer because it helps the community out very much and it can be very rewarding. Another thing I would tell him is to find other ways to socialize and make friends than parties where alcohol is involved.

Dear Parents and students, Choosing a college is the most diffcult descision one can make, but having made the choice myself I have one peice of advice. Choose one and stick to it with no regrets. This is because no matter where you go you will get an education, make friends, and miss home. But if you go to a school YOU have choosen than it can become your home. The saying "home is where you are" is the best way to describe it. I have made my school into my home and my friends into my family and I believe that no matter what school I picked I would have had a family and home and that has made all of the difference. Sincerely, A Happy College Student

I would tell future college students to read about the college first before applying. See what kind of organizations, sports and clubs one could join while attending school. That way they will have an extra curricular activity to do and will also help them find life long friends. It is also important fot the student to take there classes and grades seriously. I would explain to them that going out and drinking may be fun at the time but in the long run will hurt you. You can make the most out of your college experience without drinking alcohol. This is the time where you can build your knowledge and help reach your goals for the future.

I would make sure to take as many classes as possible in my senior year. And by that I mean varrying. In doing so you will better prepare yourself for college. There were some classes that just threw me for a loop. I would also say to make sure you know a couple people on campus. It makes the first couple weeks fun and easier. You'll always know some one on campus that you can hang out with and eat some meals with. Make sure to get involved with whatever you can on campus. Be prepared to be introduced to new things. Don't come in with a closed mind. The more open and understanding you are of everything the better your experience is.

My advice to myself would be that I need to be more prepared than I was. It would be really nice to sit down with my advisor and prioritize all classes I needed to take and then catagorize them in difficulty level. Therefore I could spread out my really tough classes in each semester and not have to take a Biology and a Physics class all in the same semester. It could also help me with having the easier classes spread out so I could balance out each sememester and how much homework I would have to do. This would have made obtaining my associate's degree easier and allowed me to be farther along in my education.

The most important thing when choosing a college is the value of the education you will receive. Most schools will allow you to learn more than you could dream if you just apply yourself; higher cost doesn't necessarily mean a better education. The real secret to success at college is becoming involved with student organizations. Once you reach college, find a club that interests you and become involved with it - that's where the real opportunities lay. You will be surprised what you can learn and what you can accomplish if you put yourself out there and show people what you can offer.

I would tell parents to make their kids really look. Many schools are over looked because of their location and where they are. Some can be superficial about where they go and want to follow the mainstream crowd. You might just find that the place you thought was aweful can be your dream school. Just applying and web searching is not enough. Parents, your kids need to get interactive and get out of the car and check out the school to make sure they like the feel of the campus. Internet pages can't tell you that. Schools don't show the whole school on their web sites.

I have learned a lot of things from college experience, and they include: the way I talk to people, the way they help me if I need something, and the most important thing is that I have learned to be very independent and very adaptive to new environments. I have also learned that to achieve something in our life, we have to be really working hard to get what we want. It is no longer like high school if you don't do your work no one is going to be reminding you of it. At college you have to do everything on your own to suceed in life, and that's what i want to do suceed.

My advice to parents and students about finding the right college is find a college that best fits your needs. Pick out the qualities you want to see in a school, such as cost, class size, how big the campus is, is it close to home, ect. As for making the most out of the college experience, get involved on campus, find something that you really enjoy and stick with it. Most campuses have tons of clubs and usually you can find something that fits your interests. Be involved on campus and get to know people, in the long run it will pay off.

When you get to college, sell your xbox and don't buy that laptop, buy a external hard drive and a few flashdrives. The school has plenty of resources available 24/7 so you don't need to have that new laptop. Sell the xbox because it is a distraction and you can use all that extra time to take advantage of all the resources NDSU has to offer. Also, go to those new student things you never know who you will meet. Finally I'd get the winning lottery ticket numbers for a predetermined date, mark them down, and give them to my former self.