North Dakota State University-Main Campus

« See more reviews of North Dakota State University-Main Campus

If I could go back in time the advice I would give myself is to really connect with your professors that you have and also with your advisor. I think that everyone should have someone within the school system to talk to about classes and concerns that you have. If you are struggling with one of your classes, who better than your professor could help you? I believe that making that connection with them helps you in more ways than one. When you introduce yourself to them, they have a name to a face. Many classes that you have when you are starting out have great numbers of people but if you get to know your professor and keep in contact they will be able to help you more knowing that you are putting effort into their classes. I would also give myself the advice to enjoy the events that campus has. I am glad taht I did do that because you meet so many people and it makes your college life so much more exciting and you have people there for support. College is a great time in a person's life. Enjoy it!

I am currently pursuing my degree in Higher Education Administration. The reason I chose to pursue this degree is because in achieving my educational goals, I feel I can make a difference in other's lives. I believe educating our children is the most important thing I can do to ensure their success. As an administrator, I will be in a position where I can make decisions which will impact all students. My entire college experience has been incredible rewarding and fulfilling. I have gained not only knowledge, but friendships with fellow students and faculty that will last a lifetime. Each step I have taken down the path to achieve my educational goals has opened new doors and created new opportunities for my family. While I will always remember how difficult it is to reach your dreams, I will also remember how rewarding all these years have been and will carry that with me my entire life. I hope to give back to the community even more than this amazing educational experience has given me.

The first thing I would advise myself about to not worry about adapting to collage life. It?s just like summer camp. More importantly, I would give myself advice about searching for scholarships. Loans are not as easy to pay or receive as I had once believed. The solution for this is to search more diligently for grants and scholarships during my senior year of high school. A second thing I would advise myself to do is understand the process of making a resume even better. Resumes are used in collage applications, job applications, as well as in scholarship applications. A better understanding of how to make and strengthen a resume would be invaluable experience before I started my summer jobs and scholarship applications. The last thing I would give myself advice with is the FAFSA form. Do not go to 'anything.com' only go to the '.gov' sites. Most other ones cost money and are scams. Other than these things, there is nothing overly important that I would tell myself about collage.

If i could travel back in time and talk to myself while i was in high school I would tell myself not to worry so much. I would say that yes college is hard but you'll make it through just fine. I would also tell myself that it will be a lot more work than high school so I should learn good study skills and to read and study ahead of the class. I would tell myself to become aquainted with as many high school teachers as possible and hope they would let me use them as references for future applications. Something that would have eased the transition and made college less stressful was to have applied for more scholarships. So I would also incourage myself to apply for as many as possible who knows what would happen I may have recieved more if I had. I would tell myself to become involved with as many things as possible during my senior year and to get some more volunteer experience, as well as tell myself to do that in college too. By being involved you meet more people and aquire more friends.

If I could travel back in time and be a high school senior, I would tell myself to be sure to get involved right away! Don't be afraid to check out new Clubs, Orgs, ect. I would also tell myself to push myself to meet people. In the beginging things seem daunting and a scary, remember that everyone is in the same boat as you, so just go for it! Another thing I would tell myself as a high school senior is to ask for help when you need it. It's never fun if you dig yourself a hole in the begining of the semester, or to feel like you are never able to catch up on your work. My advice: start your homework early, don't wait for Sunday night, it's the easiest cure for Monday morning dreads. Don't forget to get active. Make exercise fun, and make smart eating choices. Another insight I would give myself as a senior is get to know your proffesors! If you email them, or visit them during office hours with questions, they will get to know you and come time for the grade you want to be remembered!

If I was able to talk to my high school self here's what I would say: Chillax Yo. There is no need to spend so much time worring about what college will be like. College is full of so many different opportunities and people that amazing things are bound to happen. As long as you put yourself out there you will find your nitch, your place to belong. There's no need to try and change who you are and no need to try and fit in with the "college image". In college there are all walks of people. It would be near impossible not to find people who think the way you do and have the same morals you do. No matter what you think you are not alone in your fears though. 3000 students came in to college feeling exactly the same way that you do and now together we have all grown to be more comfortable with ourselves and each other. College is a time of growth, change and oppportunity, so don't fret, just allow it to happen. And also, go for the nice boy, because he's more than worth it!

Dear Ashlie, You are now a high school senior and college is not far away. It's been a long ride in your education so far-the friends, the transitions, and the fun-but trust me the best is yet to be. Here's some advice I think you should take in mind before your adventure. Number One: Let it all go. Let go of any insecurities and fears. Don't be afraid to go out there and give it your all, because in doing so you are going to meet some truly amazing people. Number Two: Be yourself. Don't let anyone change who you are. Don't drink when you feel it's not what you want to do. There are so many other ways to go out there and make friends. And trust me, those friends will like you for you. Number Three: Work hard and don't give up. College seems really hard at first-the classes, the tests, and the material. Just try hard, study study study, and ask for help. So Ashlie, I know you can do this. College is what you make it. So make it the experience it deserves. Love, College Ashlie :)

I've always thought about this question myself. If I could go back in time and talk to myself in high school, I would tell myself to go into college with a more open mind. College is about discovering yourself. Picking a major doesn't necessarily mean that is what you should do in ife. I would try and persuade myself to really look into many different opportunities and fields of study. I would also tell myself to fill out many more scholarships. I didn't realize how hard it is to obtain scholarships nor juggle a job with school also. Money is tight and thriftiness has to be present with you everday. Finally, the most important piece of wisdom I would give would be to have fun. My parents always told me this will be the best part of my life. Don't get bogged down thinking of finances and homework all the time. Socializing and exploring is just as important. Hopefully these tips would be enough to change my outlook on college a little more positive than it already was.

Choosing the right college for you, to me, depends on what you are looking for educationally. Picking a college that has a strong program that you are interested in is very important especially if you are considering continuing on to graduate school. Freshmen orientation is also a very helpful tool in selecting the right college for you as are campus tours. Campus tours are very useful because you are able to speak to others in the major of you interest, visit the on campus housing, sample the cafeteria food, and learn the general layout of the campus. This also gives the you oppurtunity to meet and interact with other incoming freshmen so you are able to start making friends before you even select the college. Friendships in college are one of the most important relationships that will be made, the people you meet become your new family and these people will help you make the adjustment to college life and get you through your first finals and other random nights.

Get out there! It sounds cliché I know, but without getting involved school is going to be just school and nothing else. You are going to be bored and bogged down by the same thing all the time. So as much as you are going to hate it at first go get involved in clubs, try new things, and don’t be shy to meet new people after all you aren’t the only new kid. If you don’t listen to this you will find this to be your only regret. If you don’t start early and put yourself out there before you know it you will be done with college with no other experiences other than studying and school work. There are more things to college than that. It’s also a place to discover yourself to see what you really like and who you really are as an independent. This knowledge is not gained from sitting in your room all the time, this is priceless knowledge that you gain from the people you meet and the new things you try. The only way to do this is by just simply getting out there.