North Georgia College & State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for North Georgia College & State University

Jacey

I love the location and the people are all super friendly. While this is a small town, Dawsonville is about 20 minutes away and Gainesville is about 30-40 minutes away so you are close to bigger towns. There is always something gong on either on or off campus. The hills are a little rigorous, but if that's what you like then you'll love Dahlonega!

Giselle

North Georgia is a safe and friendly environment. However, it lacks in spirit, sports, and activities. I felt like I was always in my apartment, studying, or at the gym. I hung out with friends in private settings but they're is not a huge party or social culture. They are very focused on the military and ROTC students are held to a very high standard (practically worshiped). It is easy to stay focused on school because of the lack of opportunities to have fun and be a normal college student, so if that is what someone is looking for, I suppose it is perfect for them. It is a very good school in a lot of ways but it just was not a good fit for me personally.

Dominick

I think this school (Dahlonega campus) is beautiful and is surrounded by mountains. There's usually plenty of parking spaces around, but at times, there are plenty of students around. I came here for the nursing program because I heard their program is pretty great. The food here is fairly good. The people here are nice and will not mug/steal from you or anyone else.

David

Wonderful Campus

Ryan

Overall, University of North Georgia was a great college experience. As my first college it set the standard high with the helpful professors, small class size, great and affordable cafeteria, many places to go right off campus, new(some) buildings, and at a great price. No dorms but there are apartments 30 sec from campus and the traffic isn't bad so you could easily just commute like most people.

Deletemyaccount

It offers a good education, but there aren't a lot of opportunities in the surrounding area, and I struggled to find good extracurricular activities to participate in that were relevant to my major. It's a very safe campus and people are generally friendly.

Gabriela

I love this school so much! The teachers really care about you and your grades, the people and atmosphere here is really nice. The Dahlonega campus is so beautiful and there is plenty of on and off campus housing opportunities. The campus is very safe too.

Cassidy

In my opinion, North Georgia College & State University is not the best. It is lacking in a sufficient amount of majors and minors to choose from. The academics are good and the size of the classes are perfect, however, as I stated there are not enough classes. The increase in diversity of major choices would increase UNG's standing. The housing is not bad, but the food is quite horrible. It is lacking in nutritious options for the students as well. The location of the school is fairly nice in the small quiet town with surrounding mountains. It would be nice if there was more to do, but I cannot complain about this.

Madelyn

I personally in love with the university, it is a little on the smaller side so class sizes are perfect. The town Dahlonega is pretty historic with a lot of antique stores, nice restaurants, and boutiques. It is a traditional college that has a lot of old traditions and superstitions that are unique to the campus. It is the military college of Georgia with a lot of memorials to past students who died in war or while serving.

Alicia

North Georgia has an atmosphere of the South, if you are more religious and like the Southern culture then it will work well for you. If you have any other train of thought process, and/or style of life then this will certainly not be a good fit for you at all.

North Georgia has now become the University of North Georgia, which has helped it achieve a higher ranking. It's a great school that is more affordable than most. Its academic programs are competitive, and it offers a way for most students to get involved.

Jenifer

I like UNG for a lot of reasons. It's small, the campus is beautiful (Dahlonega), and the classes are good. However, it has a lot of problems as well. The food is very bland and costs too much for what you pay for it and there is a massive diversity problem. The Dahlonega campus especially is mostly white and that has created a lot of ignorance on campus. The university is working towards fixing it, but it's a slow process. Overall, once UNG gets some of it's problems fixed, I'm sure it will be an even better institution.

Oscar

Its a great school to intend, most teachers will do whatever it takes to make sure you understand the material. i have not problems with the school at all. everyone is usually friendly and you can find your place here pretty fast. i would recommend this school to anyone and everyone!

Lindsey

Its not bad. I enjoy it for the most part. I just wish there was on campus housing. Going to the Gainesville campus is just a long commute for me and other students as well. Also, the teachers aren't always where they say they'll be, and some even leave early without leaving any kind of notice. So, it's really hard to get the help you need some times.

Kaeley

North Georgia is a school that I fell in love with when I toured it. The class size is small, and the professors are always there to help and encourage students. The campus is beautiful and everyone who comes to the town of Dahlonega, GA falls in love with it! I 10/10 recommend going to North Georgia! You will never want to leave our little mountain town!

It's a fine school, I just don't really know anybody.

Callie

North Georgia is a very well rounded schools. The professor are always willing to met with you. If you, as a student, make an effort most of the time your professors will too. The other students are all very sweet and nice. There is lots of social interactions going on. There are always events on campus. Overall, North Georgia is a very nice school.

Natalie

I attend the Gainesville campus, which is extremely outdated. This campus was recently acquired by NGC&SU and there are several obvious attempts at upgrades, but overall it is not the most exciting environment. The library needs a little love, and it would be nice if the nursing department was not shoved into the performing arts building. Overall it is a nice option if you're looking to save a few grand and stay close to home. The food from the cafeteria is actually pretty decent. It hasn't made me late for class because I was stuck in the bathroom, so I would say that's a plus. I recommend North Georgia College and State University to all of my friends and family.

Judy-May

UNG is a home away from home. The students are very welcoming and caring of one another. One of the best benefits of UNG is that the classes are not overwhelmingly large. This allows for a closer relationship with each professor, and you will feel as if help is always available. There are also several professional tutoring opportunities, and many students start their own tutoring groups as well!

Augustine

The people here at North Georgia are hospitable, to say the least; I always feel welcomed here! The university has smaller classrooms when compared to other universities, but this is a huge advantage for the students. Whenever I need additional help for a certain subject, I can easily just make an appointment to meet with my professors. At North Georgia, you have the opportunity to touch base with your professors; you can make a personal connection with them –this is something you would never get to do at a larger university.

Riane

UNG is a bubble within an already nearly invisible town. You go from a quaint, cobbled square to a tidy and precise arena where army uniforms become innumerable. Encountering more than 10 languages in one building is not unusual. Oh, plus theres a rather loud cannon that goes off frequently, if you're into that.

Josh

North Georgia College & State University ( most people just call it University of North Georgia or UNG) is great school to build up your GPA before transferring to another college. It is located in the mountainous region of North Georgia so it feels isolated from nearby college attractions such as Athens, Buckhead, Atlanta, of even the suburbs (even though these destinations are only 1-2 hours away). Because of this privacy, I was able to focus solely on my classes. Many times, I found myself spending my Saturday nights studying for tests, writing essays, or getting ahead in schoolwork rather than going out and partying. This paid off, as I received all As and 1 B my freshman year of college. Overall, the core courses aren't too difficult and teachers know that most students just take these courses because it is required for their major. Professors are easily accessible after class or through email and are very approachable. However, it is up to the student to reach out. Many times, you are rewarded (with extra credit *hint hint wink wink*) if you do so.

Ansley

I think that North Georgia College and State University is a great school to be at! The teachers are friendly and always there when you need them. They have great resources, like tutoring, to help you with your classes. I love that the school is very focused on your education and also your safety. I feel like this college will really prepare me and help me get into the Grad school that I need to get into.

Summer

Now known as North Georgia University is a great small school to get started with college for me and my major i will be transferring to a bigger more well known school. classes are small so you can get a lot of one on one attention with teachers. the campuses are not that big so you do not have to walk far between classes.

Aaliaya

University of North Georgia can be a great school, but not a school I would like to graduate from. However, it does sever as a great stepping stone to get your core classes done and save money. But for a student like me, who would like to become a neurosurgeon, University of North Georgia is not the school I should be attending. The science department has been rather disappointing and other classes has been average, lacking the teachers who really put the time and effort into their students.

Gabriella

I love my small school! North Georgia is safe, quiet, intellectually competitive, and filled with wonderful extracurricular activities. It is a very outdoors oriented school with a lot of amazing clubs and classes to take advantage of. I love the small class sizes and huge class selection! The honors program is a great asset for students to have during their time at school. Taking advantage of early registration and the amazing support the program provides is essential for success.

Deanna

North Georgia College and State University is one of the elite military colleges in the nation and is rich in history and tradition. NGCSU is situated in the mountains of north Georgia and is surrounded by the natural beauty of Dahlonega. The college has a solid academic track record, a wonderful small town feel, but the school's administration needs to be overhauled. Overall, North Georgia College and State University is a wonderful choice if you are looking for a smaller school to earn a quality degree.

Alexis

I love the University of North Georgia. All their campus tour ambassadors are very helpful and so kind. The Dahlonega Campus is very beautiful and they are a ROTC Campus. Not all students have to be in ROTC but you can if you want too. They offer 600 clubs and they prefer if you want to be in a sorority of Fraternity that you wait till after your freshman year to do so. Their food their is very good and their staff is so sweet and nice, and they want to make sure that you have had enough to eat before you leave the dining hall. I love the fact that if you have graduated from North Georgia and go on to fight for your Country and you do not come back that they have a memorial wall to honor all. I also love their library because it is 3 floors and the very top floor is for people that want to have a quiet study time. I am very certain that this will be my home for 4 years after my senior year!

Madison

The University of North Georgia has been a good home to me these past two years, and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The staff is generally approachable and helpful. I'm glad to have started my college years here. Starting at a smaller college was definitely the best option for me because it gave me a smooth transition from my very small high school to college life, and it gave me the opportunity to get to know my classmates very closely and build strong relationships.

Lauryn

I am absolutely in love with North Georgia. It feels like my home away from home, and I have made friends here. I could not imagine being anywhere else and will. fight for my spot here. The campus is open and all resources are easily accessible. The town itself is utterly breathtaking, once you add the school, there's no place I​ would rather be.

Don't go there if you are wanting to pursue a career in art. The art program is pretty awful, and there are a handful of professors that they hired that aren't even qualified for their job. They don't accept AP art credits (even though it is listed on their website that they do) and force all students to start at the same level. It makes students very uncomfortable to be in their first studio class ever, surrounded by artists who have been doing it for years.

Jarrett

I love the school and the Corps of Cadets that I'm a part of. The food isn't always the best and there isn't a ton to do, but you just have to get creative sometimes. The facilities and most of the professors are great. I've made good friends and great memories in my time here so far.

Vincent

Its a place people go to in order to succeed. The people on and around campus are polite and are very helpful. The area around campus is safe. the weekends allow for travel up to the mountains and if not there is plenty to do. Overall it is a very nice place to be.

Cayton

The University of North Georgia is a great school to attend. It is extremely safe, has a beautiful atmosphere in the mountains, and has lots of history and traditions because of the Corps of Cadets. While not everyone is a military student, the military lifestyle and traditions are definitely a big part of our school and that is one of the things I love about it.

Emmanuel

The University of North Georgia is an excellent place to attend. As a first generation going into college was very different for me. The University of North Georgia has given me many wonderful opportunities. I got pro active at my university by joining the student government association. I also integrated into a debate club encouraged by one of my political science professor. The professor are here to encourage and help us succeed into success. While my time at the University of North Georgia I had the honor of becoming the student ambassador. While in position I was able to take initiative and encourage more students to get involved.

Since there is no on campus housing, I feel more disconnected with the students there because it feels like high school. However, the people I am familiar with, they are very supportive and helpful when it comes to school. Most of the professors are willing to work with their students in order for them to do as well as they strive for. The classes have about 30 kids in them which I like because the students have more time to participate if they desire.

Elissa

It's beautiful, the people are friendly, and everyone is a good Samaritan here. The teachers are helpful and have made it their goal to see everyone succeed, even if it means losing sleep at night. The main eating hall is alright, at best. They've had a few episodes of tapeworms and undercooked meat downstairs having an effect on students, and a few under-baked goods, but it's not horrible. They have a variety of stations to choose from, and a whole upstairs floor if you're into chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, and burgers to boot. Personally, my favorite stations are the upstairs and the Mongolian grill. The cadets are the heart of the school, and I'm proud to be one. We keep old traditions alive and we do our part to raise and build our Army's future leaders. We have high respect for our teachers, our peers, and we enjoy having a good time in each others' company.

Kaleigh

I love North Georgia College and State University so much. It is a quiet campus, but there are still so many things to do. Everyone is so respectful and there to help no matter what. The classes are focused more on learning the information rather that memorizing. The professors are always happy to help whenever they can, and they make themselves available whenever their students request. They have multiple options for food on campus so students do not get tired of the same foods every day. They have multiple options aside from the dining hall; they have Twisted Taco, Einstein's Bagels, Miso Chinese, and more. The classroom buildings are not far from the on campus housing, but there is enough space on campus to have fun. The drill field is a fantastic place for outdoor activities. We have many traditions that we stick to that really make students feel like they belong.

Katie

It’s very home-y to me. I feel like everyone fits in there without discriminating. Overall there is a lot offered at UNG and continues to grow. Everyone I have met on campus is very nice including faculty. There are a lot to do on campus outside of class. Ung tried to involve everyone in every aspect of life. If there isn’t something for you, you can create it yourself.

Love it! Would go here a million times over!I love how much experience I receive through the education program, but it is tough! They work with my disability though, and make it do-able. I love the Dahlonega campus and would live here if it wasn't so expensive. I can commute though!

Mackenzy

All five campus' are beautiful, but I prefer the Dahlonega campus. I have been several times since my brother was a Cadet at the college from 2013-2017. The professors that I have met so far have always been available and willing to answer any questions that I might have. The Corps of Cadets is full of professional and dedicated members and I am excited to be a member in the fall of 2018.

The University of North Georgia (formerly North Georgia College and State University) is a wonderful place to go to school. It has a beautiful location and campus. The small population makes you feel at home, and depending on the department, the teachers are wonderfully open and helpful. There is a group for everyone whether it's greek life, hall-mates, clubs, sports teams, and various other ways to get to know people. There are usually things going on on-campus, and there are a ton or recreational opportunities off-campus. The location makes the school wonderful for anyone who has a love for the outdoors or an adventurous side.

Regina

North Georgia College & State University is a really good college to attend. I have been there for 2 years, I love this college. I don't live on campus but there is a lot to do at this college. The Professor is helpful and understandable. The Professors will work with you in class and outside of class during their office hours. The food is a little expensive but there are restaurants off campus you can go too.

Lesley

This university is definitely better than what people describe it to be. It also depends on you, and how socially involved you want to be. There are plenty of clubs and extra curricular activities to join, the only thing is they are a little repetitive. Greek life is open to anyone but I do know Greek life is not for everyone. The good thing is it isn't too big. The classroom size is one of my favorite things about the university because it allows you to get just the right amount of attention and help you need. The professors are always willing to help and get you to further understand something, even if it is quite simple. There is help everywhere from the professors, tutors on campus till 10pm, special sessions dedicated for that specific class, and the students themselves open to answer your questions, even if they are random strangers! Overall this university is great for anyone who want little to no distraction but still get involvement if they are open to it.

It is a beautiful campus, and the students and faculty are normally very friendly and helpful. The food isn't the most appetizing, and the administration sometimes makes decisions that don't seem to make much sense and don't seem to benefit the average student. Overall, it is a really good school to attend and there is a small, hometown feel that lights up the campus.

Makenna

This school has been a great experience so far. The administration and staff are welcoming and helpful to all of your needs. The facilities are in great shape, and I have never felt unsafe on campus. There are plenty of activities to do both during the day and in the evening. My professors are knowledgeable, understanding, and relatable. I am looking forward to another semester and another year!

Kasey

I really enjoyed the University of North Georgia's main campus in Dahlonega. The town is small, and quite, nestled in North Georgia's beautiful mountain region. The class sizes are not outrageous and the majority of the professors are great. The college has grown tremendously since I graduated 3 years ago, and I know they could use more parking for their commuting students. There was plenty of times I was late or parked somewhere I shouldn't because I couldn't find parking- this includes my graduation day!

Kirsten

I love it here. It wasn't my first choice of university and to be honest I never even toured the campus before I paid my tuition but I am so happy this is where I ended up. The classes are rigorous and the teachers truly care whether you succeed or not. I've met some of my best friends here and I have never, not once, felt as though I was in danger. If you're looking for a place that is accepting and are ready to challenged UNG is the place for you.

Victoria

This school is home to me. I couldn't be more happy here. I have gained some of the best of friends that I believe will be in my life forever. UNG makes everyone feel like they're important and a part of something. We have clubs and sports recreational teams for everyone. Even the professors make you feel important and care about your opinion. Overall, I call UNG home and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else.

Yvonne

I feel as though this college has the best professors I've ever had since beginning college. The teachers are accessible regardless of their office hours and will set up a separate time to meet up with you if you request it. Many of the students that attend this college are also helpful and friendly to talk to if you're struggling or looking to form a study group for the classes.