North Greenville University

« See more reviews of North Greenville University

Dear Shana, As you are preparing for such a critical and exciting time in your life, please take note of these extremely important suggestions: 1. As you balance sports, choir, family, church, praise band, etc., perservere to organize your time and responsibilities to the best of your abilities. College life and school work only gets crazier! Try using a calendar or your phone to record reminders and important dates. 2. Instead of just cramming the night before a test or quiz, make a habit of studying the material several times that week so that you will not be stressed come test/quiz day; learning how to study is pivetal in college. 3. Have confidence in who you were made to be. Entering a new environment with new people can be intimidating. Do not let it get the best of you! From the first day of college, BE YOURSELF; embrace who you are and always strive to be sweet and humble to everyone. Do not let others or fear cause you to conform. 4. Please, please, please do not put off looking for scholarships or miss opportunities to take the SAT/ACT. Take advantage of all of your resources. Love, Shana

Choosing the right college will prove to be one of the most significant decisions of an individual's life. This crucial decision should not be made hastily, but with careful consideration and extensive discussion. This decision should be a joint decision, one including constructive input from both the parental units and the child. Factors that should be thoroughly considered are student population, academics, career opportunities, location, safety, sports and athletic activities, and extracurricular activities. After applying to several schools and receiving acceptance letters and making the final decision about which one to attend, it is important to make sure that the student experiences college life to the fullest. In college, students learn what it is like to be on their own and how to be more responsible and make their own decisions. College should be fun, but should also be taken seriously in that students should participate fully in their academic careers and work to their full potential. After all, this is the most crucial time to make the most use of the opportunity to impress future employers and develop a lifetime of success.

Looking back as a high school senior I would have told myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible before entering college. Also, I would have recommended saving a lot of money during the summer and not spending it on unimportant items during the school year. As far as having a car on campus, I would have told myself not to drive home every weekend because it saves money and allows positive social interaction with other students. Staying on the weekends encourages branching out and getting involved with other organizations, students, and churches. As far as dealing with the transition between college classes and highschool, I would have told myself to study for tests greatly beforehand instead of cramming information the night before. Also, I would have encouraged myself to talk to professors if I was having a problem because this creates a name-to-name basis and when it comes to the end of the semester for final grades, if they noticed how hard you were trying they would boost your grade just enough to make a difference. Overall, I would tell myself to remain practical, have fun making lifelong friends, and work hard.

My experience as a college student this far in my journey has been the most rewarding, unique experience of my life. I feel that through the many different experiences I have been exposed to it has grown me as an individual. I no longer look at things through the same eyes, but have broadened my opinions and have become more open minded to new ideas and cultures. Some say that college is really where poeple start to discover who they really are. This idea has proven to be true in my own life. While being a college student, I have discovered what my true passions and desires really are. I chose to continue my education so that I would have the tools necessary to become the most successful contributor to our world's society. I feel that my experience as a college student and choosing higher education is preparing me for this task. I have also been inspired to have a greater love for learning like my professors, who have already traveled this same journey. I am thankful for this opportunity that was awarded to me through schollarship contributors, like you, who have made my dreams possible. God Bless

Due to my family living overseas during my childhood, I was not prepared to assimilate into American culture. It was a difficult transition for me to learn the ways of American life including social norms such as dating. I probably would have spent more time reading books and articles about America as well as spending more time with Americans that came to Indonesia. I lived in a bubble before coming to America! I was an American by birth, but inside, I felt differently. However, through all my experiences at NGU, I have assimilated well into my America. It would have been helpful to have had more opportunities to be independent as well as to work in the work force. I was limited in experience. Thankfully, my last semester of high school was spent in the US, and I spent one semester in a Middle School as a Teacher's Assistant. This helped me tremendously. A strong personal relationship with God has been what has sustained me through many life experiences. I did well academically in high school because I was extremely motivated. This helped me to establish good study habits - a must in college!

Dear Self, It is hard to believe you will be going to North Greenville University next year. For you, it will not be difficult to transition from high school to college. It is easy for you to make friends, and you will do well academically. However, in the midst of seeming as though you have it all together, you will struggle with one important quality: endurance. Although you will make good grades overall, you allow grades below an “A” to bring your confidence down. From one who has been there and done that, allow me to give you some advice. When the grade turns out to be anything less than perfect, take pride in your work because you know you gave it your absolute best effort. It is easy to get discouraged but take pride, hold your head high, and conquer the next assignment. Remember, even the most famous men and women in history were not perfect. They may not be famous for their imperfections, but they are famous for their endurance of overcoming them. So, endure through all those imperfect grades; it will help strengthen you in preparation to face all life’s faults. Sincerely, Me

There are several things I have gotten out of my college experience. Since the age of two I have been dancing. Once I got older I trained extensively and have always wanted to pursue a career as a professional ballet dancer. However, I also wanted to get a college education. Therefore, I continued to dance in Greer, SC while I was enrolled as a freshman with NGU. At the beginning of my sophomore year I got an opportunity to dance with American Ballet Theatre II in New York City. At first I thought this meant I would have to give up college to pursue my professional career. To my dismay, NGU has allowed me to stay enrolled as a full time student and take courses online. Therefore, my college experience has been filled with exciting opportunities. I have the ability and flexibility to dance professionally with one of the leading ballet companies in the world and strive towards a degree in business. In addition to this, I value the relationships I have made with the faculty and staff of NGU. Their positive outlook on life has impacted me. I also value the friendships among my peers.

If I went back in time to counsel myself about college life, I would first of all stress the importance of time management. In college, you are more or less on your own. It is you who decides when you go to bed, when you do work, when you eat, where you go, and etc. The indepence of college however, comes with the responsibility of time management. Managing your time and planning out yur academic week is very important to college life. Time management enables you to make high grades as well as spend plenty of time with family and friends. It is important to be able to prioritize responsibilities. There is a time and a place for everything, especially if your time is managed well. Time management also includes not procrastinating. In college, many assignments are not mentioned or done in class, rather they and their due dates are listed in the syllabus. It is essential to plan out when to complete assignments. The assignments are too big and worth too much to wait to the last minute and do a bad job on them. In order to do your best work, manage your time wisely.

Dear Valencia Baxton: I am your future. You are my past. I am here to prevent you from making my college mistakes. John Adams once said, "There are two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live." In High School, we had poor study habits, and we were procrastinators when it came to completing assignments and preparing for tests. We will fail in college and in life if we continue with this learning style. After I was placed on probation and threatened to be kicked out of college for poor grades, I straightened up rather quickly! If I was kicked out of school, Daddy's dreams for us would be shattered. We know how important it was to him that we graduate from Purdue University. We will be the first person in our family to ever attend and graduate from an accredited university. My motivation to do better was hearing Daddy say (in my head), "My baby's going to college!" Don't let him down! Take control of your college education early. Allow it to teach you how to make a successful living and how to live as an independent woman.

When I graduated from high school in 2009, I knew I was going to North Greenville University, but I also knew I was going in with an "undecided" major. This was tough because most of my fellow students knew what they wanted to do, and I on the other hand was unsure. Since being at North Greenville, I have learned (with the help of advisors, professors, and fellow students) that I am called to major in Business Administration. I want everything in my life to reflect Christ, including my business. It has been a valuable college experience so far because of the realizations I have come to about my business. Upon graduating, I will open up a fashion boutique, and a portion of my profit will go directly to the Davis Lar children's home in Aquiraz, Ceara, Brazil. I have been four times, and these kids have a special place in my heart, so I want to give back. Being at North Greenville has helped me grow as a person and as a Christian. I have become less materialistic and more focused on winning people for the Lord. I pray that I will continue to grow more every year.