North Greenville University

« See more reviews of North Greenville University

I was very shy in high school. I had friends, but I never really got involved in any school clubs or organizations. Now that I am in college, I see that getting involved early is very important. If I could give my high school self advice, I would tell myself to get involved more. There is nothing wrong with being shy, but it can make so many opportunities disappear. I regret being so shy in high school. I wish I would have gotten more involved. College has allowed me to come out of my shell and I am now starting to become more involved. It is never too late to make a change.

First I would tell myself to take a deep breath. College is a lot of work both acedemically and relationally. You might meet your future spouse and friends that will last a lifetime. But first, take a deep breath and invest in people. Don't worry about everything just have faith that God is in control. Second I would say to get to know your professors and work hard. By truly doing the best you can each step of the way you will succeed. Because what matters in the end is not your grade exactly, but your effort, knowledge, and the people you have served along the way.

I've gained in confidence since coming to NGU. My advisor and othe professors recognize when I do well and encourage me to step just a little bit out of my comfort zone sometimes to try something new. Particularly within the mass communications department, I am given the instruction I need in order to accomplish assignments and projects to the best of my ability using the resources available to me. At North Greenville I've also been encouraged in my faith through chapel and the Baptist Student Union meetings as well as student-sponsored events on campus.

I have received a wonderful range of education thus far in my studies. I, also, look forward to completeing my degree at North Greenville University and moving on with my career. The college experience has enabled me to gain independance from my parents and discover who I am as a person. Being away at a university has also enabled me to meet and make life time friends. I will walk away from the four years in Tigerville, SC with many friends and a quality education despite the flaws of the university as any university one may attend will not be perfect.

If I could go back in time and talk to mysef as a high school senior I would tell mysef to RELAX. I would tell myself to stop spending so much time worrying about the inevitable and spend more time with my family and friends and enjoy my last year in high school. I would tell myself to get involved in more activities and do well in school but also to know when to take a break and have fun. I would remind myself that I won't be seeing much of my family anymore and to spend as much time with my brothers as I can, no matter how annoying they may get.

If I could go back to when I was a senior in highschool and talk to myself I would let myself know that college is not as intimidating as people make it out to be. As long as you do your work and study you will be sucessful in whatever you choose your major to be. I would also tell myself to do the best that you can in all of your classes because every class counts when it comes to transferring colleges/universities. Another thing I would tell myself is to enjoy college and take advantage of the activites that the college/university has to offer.

Be social and don't get wrapped up in your major. Music education is a hard and time consuming major but you still need to have friends and you still need to have fun. You will have friends in college but make sure you keep them close, you will need them and it is ok if they pick on you, they all love you. Make sure you don't let others get in the way of you doing the best that you can, especially when it come to practicing your flute (including other flute players). You will do great. You always do, but if you don't thats ok, God has a plan.

If I could go back and be a senior in high school agian I would definitely do some things differently. I would first develop better study habits. In high school it is very easy to just look over your notes once and be fine for the test, however, in college you definitely have to work harder for the grades that you get. I would also be more involved in school so that when I came to college I would be in the habit of being involved. Being involved is very important in college because that is how you meet all kinds of new people!

I have really learned the value of a good education because I have had to work very hard to pay my own way through school. I have received little to no financial support from my family. It is valuable for me to attend such an uplifting university because not only will I graduate with a degree that will enable me to go into the field I have chosen, it is also allowing me to meet new people that will be lifelong friends. I am thankful that I am able to attend the university of my choice and I will not take that for granted.

If I could go back and give advice to myself I would have made myself learn how to study. Studying, in my opinion, is a skill that many high school people never develop. Some students are able to acquire good grades without studying and then when students reach the college level they don't know how to study. I believe learning how to study and learning responsibility in high school will help with the freshman passing rate. Being able to study is a key role and I feel that I should have learned how to do that.