North Greenville University

« See more reviews of North Greenville University

I believe that I am well more knowledgeable and equipped with the experience I have gained since bing in highschool and now that I have 1 year of college done with. If I could go back in time I would advise myself to go all out in highschool to make the highest grades possible because they are going to be so worth it when applying for a college and getting student aid, grants, and scholarships; and for the improtance of having to know the information learned in highschool. I would also tell myself that college will be very hard and fun at the same time, so don't give up whatever you do. Finally, I would say, "Manage your time well, Jennifer, it will be one of the most important thing you do in college. If you want to learn and get through this with a head held high, manage your time. Don't get easily distracted from the vital work at hand when you have assignments due. Place God first in everything you do and try not to stress to much about the workload, He will be there with youthrough it all. You can to this."

There are a few things you need to succeed in college: focus, willingness to learn and tme management skills. First of all you must have a clear goal and stay focused on it. This will help you as many distractions will come your way. It will also hep you when times are tough. Hang in there, stay focused and you will reach your goal. Secondly, you must be wiling to learn all kinds of information. Look at each class as an opportunity to expand your horizons. Also be willing to ask for help in learning when needed. There are plenty of places to go for help on most campuses. Lastly, be diligent in your time management. Use an agenda or a calendar on your wall. Watch your due dates and work ahead when you can. In the middle of all your hard work, also make sure you take some playtime. You will make friends that will last your lifetime. Spend time nurturing these relationships. If you listen to this advice, you will finish strong, do well academically and enjoy your experience while you are in college. Good Luck!

Having completed a semester of college, there are two things I would tell my past-self: meet as many people as you can, and start slowly. Everyone wants to have a couple close friends, but walking onto a college campus for the first time can seem lonely despite the crowds of students. By taking chances and meeting many people, it is easy to have a wide selection of people with whom you spend your time. Over time, it will get easier to see who will become your really close friends. One of the mistakes I made as a freshman was overbooking myself in the first few weeks. I took on 20 hours of classes, a play on campus, and an ultimate frisbee team. My busy schedule made my first semester stressful and difficult. I would explain to my past-self to take time adjusting to the new lifestyle. There is plenty of time to get involved and doing everything in the first semester only causes stress. I may not be able to redo my first semeser, but I can always take my own advice during the second semester.

My college experience thus far has reinvigorated my interest in learning. I had a rough time with the structure of high school, and as soon as I started college, after not being entirely sure if I wanted to go to college, I have looked forward to going to class every day. Now, in my 4th full time quater of college, I have a 3.89 GPA, I am on the Vice-President's list at my school, and I have spent a quarter abroad studying European history in Glasgow, Scotland. This has a very significant turnaround from my days in high school, considering that I almost failed to graduate. Now that I have finally been able to enjoy school for the first time in my life, I have been able to see more clearly the value of a higher education, and I hope to go on to achieve a Ph.D in American military history, with a focus on the Pacific Theater of Operations in World War II. While this is a long way off, it is a goal that I am comfortable setting, because I know that I will enjoy the pursuit of it every step of the way.

My first semester as an incoming freshman at North Greenville University I've had the pleasure to interact and involve myself with other peoples' lives. People who I wouldn't normally converse with have become my friends strictly based on sociability skills I've gained while attending the University. I also learned that as a college student you must become more independent, because you are one step ahead to becoming a full adult who must be able to financially support themselves throughout the years. This school has thought me to no longer rely on my mother to support and overcome every struggling obstacle especially being a single mom with her anually income. As an individual in todays' society it is easy to just give up and quit the diffucult situations life throws at you. Instead of giving up I'll continue to pursue my education purposes and finish what I've started and intended to do from the start which is to be successful and make my moother proud of the seed she's raised all these years.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now I would share several pieces of advice. First would be choosing the right collage. Don?t go somewhere just because your friends are going, don?t go where there are no rules enforced and don?t pick a college based on the fact that you have all the freedom you want. The more freedom and fewer rules set the stage for potential trouble. Many people find themselves shipwrecked and stranded in actives that they know they shouldn?t be apart of so just be careful. Freedom is one of the best things about college but you need to know how to manage your time. The reason for going to college is to get an education so remember that fact. Education comes first so work hard, have some fun and be prepared to have the time of your life. College is not suppose to be a scary place so don?t be afraid to talk to people and get involved in some aspect of college life. Don?t waste the time that you have been given.

If I could go back to my senior year in high school I would tell myself to not worry so much about the new life I was going to have in college. Do not worry about friends because you are going to met the greatest people and do not worry about classes because you are actually smarter than you think. You might want to watch out for biology though, there will be some tears. Do not think drama stops on high school, this is only the beginning. Making the transition will be one of the toughest times in your life, but it will also be the most exciting. I would also tell me not to worry so much about that boy down the street, and I would tell myself to stop worrying about cute outfits and save a little bit more money. College is not a joke, and if you are not careful you will end up broke. Most of all I would like to tell myself that even though college in a wonderful experience, there are trials and tribulations, but you are string, ambitious, and determined. If I have faith in anyone, it is you.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a High School senior I would advise myself to have patients and to work to the best of my abilities to accomplish my goals. I am an aspiring worker and I like to get things done right the first time and not procrastinate. Being an athlete I understand the meaning of competing and working hard. In this world things aren’t handed to you on a silver platter. Some of us may get lucky with opportunities, but I believe that I need to earn my way and branch myself out to others in order to make opportunities for myself. To me it is more self-full filling if I put forth the effort to accomplish what I want and whether I'm rewarded or not for my efforts I will always know that I did the best I could to the best of my abilities. With that being said I would remind myself that these challenges wouldn’t always be easy but to stay tough, be patient and do the best I can. No matter the circumstances I will always feel a sense of accomplishment.

When one is ready for college, it is crucial to chose the right school that fits you. It is important to see where the school is located. Is it in the state in which you live. Also look and see if they offer the courses you are interested in taking. You do not want to go to a school that does not offer your major of choice. You might want to take into consideration the size of the school, how many students attend. Some people do not like big places and if this is the case a smaller school would make a better fit. While in college, it is important to get the most out of it as you can. You want to have fun but at the same time do good in school. So to achieve this keep school and grades first. When that happens then making time for fun is not stressful and is more enjoyable. Meeting new people and making new friends is wonderful. I was nervous about doing so at first, now I have no regrets. College is a place where you will make good friends that you will know for a long time.

You are strong. Yet you still deny it. This one word that you have heard over and over again has yet to have an affect on the tears streaming down your flushed cheeks. But you are still beautiful. While your face lies damp and bruises pressed across your skin, may you still find reasons to smile. You haven't lost your innocence as you so firmly believed, but you have just begun to embrace it. While these current court dates and flashbacks have forced you into adulthood at only 17, please never forget this. You are not worthless, nor will you ever be and he has never been more wrong. You have never been more beautiful than right now. Your story does not need to be hidden under careless lies and questionable coverups. But told with an unimaginable streagth underneath your trembling voice. Time to let go of the screams you have forced quiet that now slowly tear you apart. Freedom is closer than you think. This is your senior year, make it one you will actually want to remember.