Coeur d'Alene, ID
North Idaho College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Idaho College

Brooke

North Idaho College is a great place to figure out future plans while saving money and earning a quality degree.

When I was a high school senior, I was riddled with guilt over my inability to partake in the senior year activities. I felt horrible for being a recluse, and worse, for losing my outgoing friends. My parents nagged me, claiming these four years were to be the best of my life--and I would cry, distraught with the idea of years worse than these. Drunken parties, popularity contests, and school spriti weeks. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't care about them. Everyone told me I would regret wasting my senior year, holed up in my bedroom with a Stephen King novel every Friday night. But looking back, I know they were wrong. Already, I know life outside of high school to be more positive and self-satisfying. College provides new challenges, but rather than an intense focus on social hierarchy, college pushes you academically. I have learned about Thoreau and Stowe and Achende, , talented writers far more interesting than binge-drinking. If I could tell the high school senior version of myself one thing, it would be to forget the masses. The shame of being unique and shy dissipates in college, and instead transforms into pride.

North Idaho College is a wonderful program for dual-enrolled students and for students looking to save money. This campus allows you to receive a quality education for an associate degree, and further, gives you the opportunity to save money before transfering to a four-year college. I would advise against lazy people entering NIC. Though it is a community college, hard work is still required. If you don't plan to study, don't waste your money!

troy

I would most likely get a partime job. I would work harder on my math and study more than i do. I would look for scholarships to sign up for. I would have told myself that college is fun ,but is hard. I would tell myself that it also costs a lot of money as well.

I think the people are the best thing in my school. My cousin and my uncle work at the school. my cousin Justin and my uncle Steve work at the mail room. I have many friends at the school. My best friends at the school are Johnathan Graham and Austin Paulson. All the teachers and the other students are awesome and they are very nice.

The people that should not be able to attend this school are the ones that don't care about education. They don't want to learn so they should not be able to attend. Students who are lazy or get into trouble a lot should not be able to attend the school also.

Stephan

It is beautiful beside the beach. I live in a nearby small town, where NIC has a satellite campus, after inquiring there, they led me to the main campus. I am 22 year old single father, near-full time employee and a full time student. The teachers, students and atmosphere have been so accomodating to me and the situation I am in. I am a recovering addict and NIC has been the perfect college so far.

If I had this opportunity to talk to myself, I would warn myself of what the life of a homeless addict could bring. I wish I could convince a younger me to strive for greater things, because I now have a beautiful daughter and am making a positive step in my life, without drugs. I would tell this younger man, that there is a light beyond the darkness, a smile after the depression; that even though my life is not easy in the future, it is worth the struggles. Though I do wish I did not have to put myself through years of torture to finally see it. If I could turn back time to tell a brilliantly gifted young man that things would be okay and to just do homework, just study for once, to be humble and grateful, to not squander the jaded life for a few mischievious laughs. College is a wonderful experience and had I been there earlier, making this transition would not feel so difficult. Every day I wonder what I would say to a younger me. In short I just wish I could have the chance to tell me "Keep your head up".

I can not truly say I have found anything wrong yet with my college. I attend two days a week, I have made good friends, and every body is polite to every body. It may sound cliche but in all honesty, I have yet to find an aspect to complain about.

Rene

What's unique is the location. The college is on a Lake, the school owns beach front on the lake so the students have access to lots of water sports activities and equipment (students get a rental discount). Besides the lake, the town is small and everyone in and outside the college are so friendly.

I haven't experience college life yet but my older brother has so from what I've heard or seen from him, I'd say. Apply early to schools, try to know what you want to study and make sure you like the school. I'd also tell myself to try to balance my social life and studies a little better.

I haven't started school yet so acedemically I can not answer. My home town is 5 hours away from North Idaho College, so it will be a challenge to get home for holidays and breaks. I won't have a car there and there's only 1 bus in and out of the town North Idaho college is located. So I wish there were more options in and out of Coeur d'Alene.

Go out more. That's probably surprising, but I needed it. I spent literally every night on the computor answering algebra questions so I could get done early. (I hate math.) I needed to be out and be social more, but I'm kinda awkward and not as much of a social butterfly as some of my other friends, so I decided not to leave the house much. I didn't really get to the know the guys on the football team very well and I wish I would have. Just things like that... ALSO, don't date anyone in high school. Worst idea ever. High school relationships are a terrible idea simply due the lack of selection... you just don't find very many people you have things in common with, and what are you gonna do? Stay together when you guys both go off to college. Very rarely ever happens and so you just set yourself up for heartache. It WAS a learning experience, but it wasn't worth it. Unfortunately, i'll never get this paragraph. Maybe you guys can send it to some high schoolers, although it's not like they'd listen. *Shrug*

That's it's right on the lake. Coeur D'alene is situated right on Coeur D'lane lake and it is BEAUTIFUL. They're always jealous.

Math. It's the most frustrating thing at any school.

Marie

My biggest struggle with college, has been how to pay for it. If I could give my high school self advice, I would say three things: #1: Start researching and applying for scholarships at the beginning of your senior year. If you apply early you'll have more time to put thought into your essays, and you won't feel as much pressure as the deadlines approach. #2: Keep your grades up. I know senior year is supposed to be fun and exciting with graduation and prom, but don't let your grades suffer. #3: Volunteer more. There is nothing more gratifying than giving your time and talent to worthy causes. All of these pieces of advice have the potential to launch you into a successful future.

In all honesty, the worst thing about North Idaho College is the satellite campuses. There aren't that many classes offered at the satellite campuses. And the classes that are, the teacher doesn't always pay attention to the students at them.

I can't think of anyone who shouldn't attend North Idaho College. It is a great community college, offering many general course credits that can be transferred to 4 year universities. It doesn't discriminate against race, religion, or disabilities.

Ben

I like North Idaho College. It has given me a chance to improve the weak area of my academics. NIC has prepared me for the rigors of my next place of study.

The academics are decent. I'm a business admistration major, and all of my instuctors are great. I feel like some instructors are trying to unnecessarily try to push students into the other classes they teach.

Students that have to attend a junior college to afford school or nontraditional students.

Anna

For starting people out for other college universities in the area. A lot of people go to North Idaho College to figure out what they want to do in life.

I would have told myself to start college right after high school. Since I waited a couple years, I won't be finished with my degree until I'm older. Which means I will start in my career later on. I wish I would have known just how important a college degree is to finding a good paying job in the area.

I wish I would have known just how much work and effort you must put into your college classes. That it is not like highschool.

Steven

I feel that college has been a valuable experience for a couple reasons. First, being a student that commutes, I was forced to adapt to a very tight schedule. I work two jobs and attend school. In order to make everything fall into place, I have adapted to being very time conscious. If I were to waste an hour, my whole schedule would have been thrown off. Second, I feel that going to a community college has helped because I have developed a good work ethic. My work ethic has really increased since I have been in college. When I was in high school, I did exactly what my boss or teachers made me and that was it. In high school, the teachers and parents would force kids to do their work. Being in college has made me self-motivated because I have to force myself to do the homework. College really begins to show who works hard for what they want and who just does not care. Since I have been in college, I have started paying my own bills, I have been promoted to a manager position at work, and I have been able to organize my time.

Courtney

In short my college experience has provided me with growth. Not only have I grown in scholarly knowledge, but in knowing what I am capable of completing when I set my mind and determination on a selected goal. This experience has also allowed me to go outside of my comfort zones and conquer activities that would cause fear and inaction in the past. An example of this is being able to speak up when no one else is and even to speak when I am unsure if what I am expressing is correct. I have also learned how to communicate better in the written format by particiapting in on-line classes. These types of classes have shown me how a community can be formed and grow even when the particiants are in different locations. I would not trade my colledge expereince for anything and think everyone can experience some form of growth from participating in higher education.

North Idaho College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.