Coeur d'Alene, ID
North Idaho College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Idaho College

I went with the school where I could remain living at home, as well as the one that offered the best education compared to the price.

I would tell myself to try harder to apply for scholarships and go to the school that I really want to go to. Don't just go to the school that offers the best education compared to cost. Get out and live life as a college student. Study more, to ge those AP credits and get the better scholarships.

I am still living in the same city where I went to high school, and many people I have classes with I went to middle school with.

Bonnie

I lived in this area my whole life. Growing up we went to NIC for games and plays. I live only 15 min alway from the school. So I'm still close to family and friends.

I think I would of studied a lot harder my senior year. I would tell myself to go college right out high school. Going back now is harder than I thought. You don't remember as much as you did in high school. It's been rough 10 years. Living from pay check to pay check. I would of done the nursing so much sooner. I rather of done college then than now. It's not easy being a single mom going to school and working,but it has make me stronger woman though. I would say just do the 4 years in college get a good job and have great life with your little family.

I think anybody could go to NIC. It's a great school for everyone. Students right out of high school to s ingle moms like me. It's a great starting point for a better tomrrow.

jerre

college is awesome! Your more motivated and excited to go to school because its your independent choice; Howerver, in order to succeed you HAVE to be active in your classes, organized and push yourself more than you ever do in high school. Create planned calendars that lay out your class schedule. You can't procrastinate or skim over assigned chapters... create chapter maps and visual aids when you study. If you get in the habit of being organized and take full advantage of all the tools available you are going to do great!

NIC have smaller class and almost all the instructors have fun or creative classes. The classes are also structured to help you learn at a steady pace

Alex

If time travel were possible, I would have told myself as a senior to head straight into college! I regret not having started my career training right out of high school (I waited 4 years out of timidity). It has been so easy to get into college life; I love being in the process of bettering my life, and wish I had started sooner! The teachers are all wonderful, and there are so many interesting students to meet as well. It is so nice to be heading in the direction I'd like my life to go: college has finally changed that for me, and I look forward to this jumpstart in my career!

Jesse

It's smaller size and its location.

It's smaller size and its location.

To be brave enough to go and talk with the teachers and not to be intimidated by things that they might say. It seems that if the student does not show a direct intrest in learnig, then the teachers do not act with a real intrest in helping the student learn. Most of the time it's a two way street. There has to be communication on an individual level to succed. This will also bring a mutual respect for each other and a sense of satisfaction in oneself for putting forth the effert.

Someone who is there for the learning and not just to party. It's a dry campus, which helps the students stay on track.

Kate

Don't procrastinate? Don't slack off? I wouldn't change anything. I'm a natural procrastinator but the experience I've gained through my trial and error, my mistakes, has given me knowledge I otherwise wouldn't have gained. How seriously do people take others advice? Even if it happens to be your own advice you are giving to yourself? Personally, I learn best by jumping through the hoops; I learn best through the experience. Action speaks louder to me than words. Where I am now and what I've undergone, I wouldn't change that. I'm taking this far lesser chance on a far greater me. By living life, through action, I've grown and learned. I wouldn't change that, nor would I advise change. Even if I had talked to myself as a high school senior, I would not have listened. This may seem narrow-minded and foolish, but I know me. I know who I am, my reactions and responses. I'm my own worst enemy in this regard, but talking to myself would not have helped or changed anything. I live my life doing, as I probably always will. Hasn't failed me.

Anyone can attend North Idaho College. However, people searching for a way to get their feet off the ground, to obtain even the barest margin of higher education should attend NIC. Being a community oriented school, NIC provides the fundamentals to becoming aclimated to college life. Even students that don't know what they want to do with themselves after high school can get their feet wet in the college arena which NIC offers. Anyone seeking to better themselves or anyone who has the ambition to continue with their education should attend North Idaho College.

What to say? Are the teachers incompetent or horrible? No, the teachers are fantastic, each one relaying not only the required material but life long lessons for the students. Is the campus too complicated to navigate? Absolutely not. People will provide directions for any stranger and the layout of the buildings is very simple. The one complaint I find with NIC is that the registars office management seems to have poor student relations. If you have a problem, go elsewhere. You are a college student now, buck up is the consensual attitude. Those are simply my observations.

Kaylee

North Idaho College is a great community college that strives for students to succeed!

North Idaho College is know for its great location. It is right on the shore of the lake. There are many outdoor activities right next to the college.

I would tell my self that everything works out the way it does for a certain reason. I would also tell my self that everything will be worth it in the end and to keep my head up. I would try to talk myself into talking to more school administrators so I know that what I am doing is the right thing for the field that I want to go into. I would also prep myself for how much more difficult college is from high school. I knew it was going to be tough when I started college but I had no idea really how hard and how much time it was really going to take. I would also tell myself to enjoy my senior year and then buckle down when I went to college, because you can never get that time back and it is a stepping stone to making you who you are.

Cindy

Knowing that college is not all about just partying and having fun, I would definitely advice myself that college is different than what movies make them out to be. Also, I would tell myself to spend more time working on math before I went to college. Math has always been my hardest subject, and I don't think I spent enough time on math before going to college. More importantly, I would encourage myself to read more music theory before heading off to college. Going to college as a music major, this would have been one of the most helpful and necessary advice I would give myself if I could go back in time, knowing what I know now.

I wish I had known that college isn't really how movies always make it out to be: easy, full of parties and fun. For me, it actually turned out to be quite a stuggle, especially since I was homeschooled until I went to college. In reality, I was expecting college to be like the movies I watched. I was quite surprised to find out that college is not just all about having fun and partying all the time, but more about my education. I definitely do enjoy school, I was just surprised not finding what I expected.

The type of person for this school would be one that wants to start out with their college experience in a smaller surrounding, where people tend to be more friendly. Someone who likes to kow their teachers personally would also most likely enjoy going to NIC. Additionally, a person who doesn't have very much money should attend NIC because it is cheaper than other bigger school.

My fellow students at North Idaho College are a very diverse group, I've sat next to fifteen year-old high school students and seventy year-old war veterans.

I?m fairly happy with how I handled my transition to college. Taking courses at the community college since my sophomore year helped a lot, and gave me a good idea of what kind of academic work I should expect in college. The most difficult part of the transition for me, being homeschooled, is adapting socially. I?m not used to being in a class with twenty other people, or having to deal with teacher?s idiosyncracies. One piece of advice I wish I'd heard is ?Expand your horizons.? I was focused on music, and all my activities were orchestras and chamber groups. I now know that I don?t want to study music, and wish I had looked into other areas, especially ones that interested me. I still have the power to change that, though. I?m getting involved in other things and branching out into areas that previously were of no interest to me. The most important thing to me is following my heart, but I don?t want to do that blindly. I try to have a basic plan, which I can expand on and change as I discover who I really am.

The best aspect of NIC is that all the students support each other, even when they are coming from such different places. I also value my teachers, who are very adept at explaining subjects to people with a huge range in experience, intelligence, and interest. Community college is a great place to start your education, not only because the tuition is cheaper, but because the student population is diverse, and you can't help but come into contact with many different world views and life stories.

Jonathan

Its top-notch athletic program and its award-winning newspaper, The Sentinel. The Sentinel has won best 2-year non-daily newspaper at New York and San Diego many times over the past 10 years. It also won third-best for overall design against colleges and universities; the top two were 4-year design schools.

I would say to spend as much discovery time at a two-year school as possible, figuring out a final major path, then transferring to a four-year school. This will save money, as two-year schools are much less expensive than universities. I would also say to explore career opportunities in your chosen field thoroughly, especially internships in a field such as Graphic Design or Journalism, which has been hit hard in the recession. One of the biggest things I would say: Apply for as many scholarships as possible. During my senior year, I meant to apply for some but didn't because I was too busy or I didn't want to spend the effort.

The lakeside locale and view, the library and the friendly atmosphere.

North Idaho College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.