Chicago, IL
North Park University

Jocelyn

I think North Park University is a great diverse school. The friendly faculty and staff work together with their students to improve teaching skills, as well as grades and understanding of the material being taught. They also encourage and help their students learn to think critically. The campus is beautiful as well as small and you're bound to make new friends where ever you go.

North Park University is best known for, as it's motto describes, being "distinctively Christian, intentionally urban, and purposefully multicultural". It is a small, caring community of engaged students and teachers who care about each other and strive to positively impact the world.

My mom didn't really like the school I chose for college. She wanted me to consider more and different options, go somewhere bigger, and find greater opportunities. She didn't think I would like the small, Christian school I had picked and was sure I would transfer by the end of my first year. Being the prideful senior I was, I was eager to be independent and determined to prove her wrong. Unfortunately, the first month of college was a lot different than I expected. It was filled with a lot of tears, loneliness, and frustration; it revealed my greatest weaknesses and displayed my many fears. Though extremely emptying, it was a very humbling experience that I've learned a lot from. If I could go back and give myself advice before entering this wonderfully miserable experience, in order to enhance the lessons I've learned, I would simply tell myself this: Be patient and be honest. Love others and love yourself. Most importantly, rid yourself of the need for control and enjoy the unpredictable. Live in and appreciate the "right now", and always choose joy.

I wish I had known more about living in the city, or more specifically Chicago. I wish I had known more about the surrounding area of the campus and the life outside the classroom that accompanies going to North Park.

Joshua

North Park University is a smaller campus, and allows for a closer relationship between students and faculty. You are not treated like just another number attending campus. The Academic Advisor is very helpful. North Park University's Axelson Center for Nonprofit Management touts itself as one of the best schools in its region, if not the nation. Given the list of faculty members, access to Professional Development Workshops, and Annual "bootcamp" for new nonprofit CEOs, I am certain that I've made the right choice!

I would tell myself to believe more in myself and my capabilities. A person's mind is their greatest asset! Given that my parents didn't want to assist my siblings and I with financial aid, I would advise myself to attend college anyway. I probably wouldn't have gotten grants, but there is more aid available to students at that age. As a senior, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I would tell my younger self to pursue an Associates degree in General Studies. And have more faith in myself.

Since NPU is a private college, tuition costs more than a public university.

Tracy

From my experience at North Park University so far, this school offers many opportunities and resources and has a very well-educated group of professors, but NPU lacks intentional community and genuine fellowship.

Dear Tracy, College is very similar to high school. It’s just a bunch of strangers coming together to learn, to get through it, and, eventually, to get a job. The only difference is that you’re getting higher education that is focused on your major. Of course, there are additional benefits to college, but that’s essentially what it's about. I know you’re stoked to finally spread your wings and fly, but don’t have high expectations about college. Go to school with an open heart to learn what God has in store for you. And while you’re transitioning to this new lifestyle, just remember one main thing: stay true to who you are and stay grounded in your faith. And one more last thought - God’s got your back! Sincerely, College freshmen Tracy P.S. By the way, I should probably warn you... you might get an infectious disease in college if you dorm: being “homesick” (it’s when you miss home). It’s totally normal to get homesick, but don’t get lost in those emotions because you’ll lose track of why you’re there at college.

I don't believe I have the power or ability to say, “This person cannot attend this school because…” The answer to this question isn’t as black and white as it seems. I believe that the decision to attend NPU depends on the persons’ values and the individual themself. The decision doesn’t just come with information about the school beforehand but it also comes with the experience and interaction they will have. That is one of the reasons why many students transfer; they like what they see beforehand but when they’re there, it’s a different experience.

Kristina

Dear Self, Let me just give you a few tips to consider as you enter college life. It is a time of fun, freedom, finding yourself and most important, the start to a successful future. Enjoy yourself, but pick appropriate times for that, such as the weekends and not weekdays the night before a huge exam or when a paper is due. Manage your time well; start early on projects and studying. You'll remember the material better if you start ahead of time, rather than cramming in an all nighter. Make sure to get good sleep and eat healthy. Your mind will be more open and clear for note taking and absorbing information. Be careful with that credit card you have. Spend only what you can cover from your checking account. Its supposed to help build credit and not be there for use when you run out of cash. Choose roommates wisely. All too often best friends who room together stop talking and the friendship is ruined. Trust me, I know all too well. Join organizations and get involved. Its a great way to make new friends and network. Good luck! Your truly, Kristina

The paper cut; now we are charged for printing after 200 pages per semester. Nursing students pay a lot as it is and have a lot of things to print. And I wish we had cta/upasses like other schools in the city have, for public transportation

LINA

The school is very diverse, friendly environment that looks to help an individual excel in whatever area he/she is interested in or seeking a preofessional career.

I would tell myself that it is not just about grades, but being able to learn the material at hand. Whatever is being taught is useful in any aspect in your life. Try to interact with other students and don't be shy to be yourself because other people are also scared. Get involved in extra- curricular activities and get plugged in where you are able to fit in. Remember that these four years will be the most influential, self-discovering times in your life. You find who you truly are as you are seeking a professional career that you always dreamed of. Also, never forget that you have the potential to succeed in all that you set your mind and heart to. Lastly, if God has directed you all this way, He is not stopping now. Every trial or hardship that you have endured in you high school years are blessings in disguise because they will shape who you will become in your future career, as well as help many individuals who are facing the same struggles.

For the most part I have not had negative feedback about the school. My experience thus far has been very positive and rewarding. I enrolled as an adult student and they have helped me a great deal in transitioning into a college student.

A small campus located in a large city which give a small town feel, yet the big city experiences.

Although my college experience has only been for one semester, I have to admit it has changed me. I grew up in a small suburban town and although I have traveled outside of the country multiple times, I have spent most of my time with a people that are very similar to each other. By moving to Chicago and to a school that has many international students, I have been exposed to different types of people and been given the opportunity to experience activities that aren't available where I grew up. Since I'm living 3 1/2 hours away from home I get to make my own decisions and mature through that decision making process. I love the independence and the ability to grow and become who I want to be on my own. Genetics play a huge role in the type of person I am, but now I get to become who I want to be as an adult and make friendships that I'm sure will last the rest of my life.

The location of my campus and the diversity of people that are there. North Park University is located in the 2nd most diverse zip code in the nation which priovides opportunities to interact with students from all over the world. Also, the variety of resturants is amazing and gives me opportunities to try many different types of food within walking distance of the campus. I love the variety of experiences this location provides!

Nidhish

Everything. When I enrolled in community college I expected absolutely nothing but the smell of cigarettes and wasted potential, but I was completely wrong. My professors were some of the smartest people i had ever talked to. My psychology professor completely changed my outlook on life and people in a way I had never thought possible. My writing teacher pushed me to write in my own personal voice, and not follow what standards high school teachers tried to impose on me. I realized then that higher education was in fact educating me, and high school was only training me for this moment. I want nothing more than to stay in school my whole life and learn as much as I can about everything I can, but unfortunately I can't do that. It would be fantastic if the financial burden of that was lifted even slightly. Back to your original question?I regained a postive outlook on education.

Victoria

I have not yet attended college, but through the admissions process I am learning that I need to make sure that I have everything I need. I am learning that I need to ask questions, lots of them, double check answers, allow plenty of time for things, and make sure that you know what you want to say and how to say it before you start talking to an advisor or calling universities for adivice. I have learned that a good advisor is hard to find and someone that you hold on to. I expect to learn many more important things over the years that I spend in college.

Christy

I have received a tremendous amount of pride. My experience has taught me to be more responsible for others. I realized that I can make the world a better place in helping people with there problems, by helping in this way it has made me feel better inside. Being able to interact with people everyday is the best feeling I could get therefore, a bigger self-esteem. Now I know I can do anything, and I have accomplished more than what I realized I could do. I value all the moments I spend in college because it has givin me the knowledge to succeed in my life. I will always cherish my years in college. Now I have the confidence to go out into the world and make it a better place. With the experience that I have already, has lead me moving forward in continuing my education.

North Park University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.