Chicago, IL
North Park University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Park University

Kaleb

North Park is a spunky little university that doesn't try to be what just anybody thinks it should be - instead students find their expectations transformed into something beyond dry acadamia, trendy wallpaper housing, and self-serving degrees.

Some people think that by senior year, they have to be perfect. After four years, all mistakes have that could have been made have been made, right? But that is a waste of an opportunity. In a matter of months, this entire life will be behind you, and a new one -where decisions cost money and friendships form quick and paths are set - will be upon you. A high school senior has the privledge to make mistakes. That fiesty opinion piece you wrote in the school paper? Joining a new team? A new club? A new class? How about leaving? Applying to that school you mysteriously like, but cannot imagine going to? Talking to that person you never thought was worth a sentence of your time? Making food from scratch instead of the refrigerator? Leaving the country for a week? A month? All summer? Do not regret taking risks this year. They are the easiest, cheapest, most innocent shots at self-discovery you will ever get to make. More importantly, they are invaluable lessons as you navigate the labyrinth set in front of you after graduation.

North Park University, although being in the city of Chicago, brings most of it's students from all over the nation and world, many of whom have not come from a environment as diverse and urban as the surrounding neighborhood. Because of this, the school really advocates a get-out-of-the-classroom, real world learning experience. The academics are solid, but more importantly, relevant. The emphasis on actual significance can even be seen in North Park's religious piety - social justice trumps self-righteousness.

Cory

My classmates tend to be very helpful and responsive to lectures and classroom activities, especially during group assignments, which occur often.

If I were to go back and speak words of wisdom to myself in my senior year, I would explain the difficulty of living in an environment in which accountability and motivation levels are significantly lower than in the home setting during high school years. I would tell myself that in order to make a smooth transition into college life, I would have to first establish a list of priorities, and devote time and energy to what means most to me, as to not get lost or discouraged during the transition. For example, finding a supportive friend group, and devoting enough time to my studies both mean a lot to me. In order to make these two things happen, I would first tell myself to make sure to be extroverted during the first few weeks of school, so I can get to know those around me and initiate friendships. Then, to ensure that I had adequate study time, I would plan out a schedule of my daily events, and set aside a time and place, so that I would not fall victim to procrastination in my studies. These are the changes I would make for the transition to college life.

People who do not like urban settings or have a low tolerance for Christian integration in the classroom setting should not attend North Park University.

Selena

For parents, allow your child to make the decision about what college they might want to attend. I myself was not given a choice 10 years ago when I was 17. My mother said you're going to this school or this one. I chose the school an hour away from home instead of the school five hours away. A person should not base such a huge decision as far as what college to attend based on how close it is to their home. I would have loved to go to the University of Illinois or UIC, but instead, I went to Judson where I had a horrible experience and was just extremely unhappy there. I only lasted a year and a half. I will always be unhappy about the way my first college experience was handled. For students starting college, I would just say make sure the school you've chosen is where you really want to be, and once you're there, enjoy your experience because it'll go by fast. I always wonder if I'd made an effort, would things be different? Students, you don't want to have that feeling, trust me.

I wish I would have known more about financial aid. I'm always panicking and worrying about how I'm going to get tuition paid, and it gets worse every semester. It's been a major struggle for me the past couple of semesters, but I just keep telling myself it will be worth it when I have that degree in a few years.

The teacher's that are working part-time at the university are at times hard to get in contact with if a student needs to speak with them right away because of an emergency, so the school might give them an office number which would help a great deal. This would be extremely helpful for those students who live off campus.

Nick

Parents and students..... Do your research well in advance. It's best to have your choice colleges picked out by the end of your Junior year. Make sure to apply to a lot of colleges, as you may not be accepted into the college you want to go to due to higher demand. Do not make grades the reason you are not accepted! Do WELL in high school so that grades are not a factor in deciding whether to accept you or not. Take several SAT and/or ACT preparation classes. The higher you score, the better your chances of getting into your dream school. Once in college, remember to have fun, but make sure your school work is done first! The friends you make here will be friends for life if you choose to stay in contact with them.

The academic community in my school really fosters shared learning. We all learn from each other.

Someone that is serious about getting their degree from a school that values students and places extra emphasis on not only learning in the classroom, but continued self learning.

Amy

An intentionally Chrisitian and urban university placed within a very diverse neighborhood and filled with amazing professors where seeking overall purpose in life is highly regarded accompanied with preparation to enter the world and serve.

I would tell students to choose the school where they feel like they can connect the most; to the professors, the other students, the programs the school offers. I would tell students not to worry about the financial burden because although sometimes great, the final results and overall experience is totally worthwhile. I would advise parents not to pressure their kids too much, and give them some freedom as they make their own choices, and to support them in whatever they decide to do. Even if they are going to make mistakes, they will have to learn from them in the end, and you can be there to help them up when they fall. I would tell students to really take advantage of their time. Get invovled in activities on campus, and be invovled in the community surrounding it as well. Don't be afraid to try new things, rather embrace new experiences. Get out of your comfort zone. Make the most of every opportunity. Definetly apply for an internship and use it to your advantage. Be open to people that are different from you and seek our their friendship. Overall, have fun and soak up the learning.

I say that it's easy to get into, but that we have genious professors that could be doing other amazing things but instead decide to teach there which is great. I also brag about living in Chicago and being located in a really diverse place within the city. I also brag about our great staff that support our student-led activities and endevors.

Dustin

I would definitely recommend that students and parents participate in thorough visitations of their prospective school choices. It is important to guage the schools' facilities, this is easier if students know what field they are going to be studying. Checking out the school's library and computer labs says a LOT about the school, and make sure to check out the dorms and apartments. Visit the school when students are actually living there and attending classes, see how they interact and what the atmosphere is like.

I think that North Park is a great place to learn and grow socially and intellectually. There is a great balance of readily available social activities and an understanding of the private time needed pursue your class work. The students at North Park work hard, and their effort rubs off on all of the other students. It is odd if you do not perform well or at least try very hard with your studies. Because of the size of the school it is easy to create friends that last for a life time.

North Park lacks in its audio/visual department which is what i went there for. There facilities are drastically inferior to some of the bigger Chicago schools. However the small class sizes allow you to work closely with professors that really know the field. The school is expensive, and frankly sometimes I just couldn't figure out exactly where my money was going. I was very frustrated with the facilities hey had available to me as a Communications Media Studies major. They did not use up to date software, and were very protective of state of the art equipment.

A range of very committed and seeking to neutral.

A range of very committed and seeking to neutral.

Go with your gut. Take your time and look if you are unsure but make sure you find a place that is good for you. If there is something even small that you don't like about it... keep looking. You want to be at a school where you have chosen and want to be.

Someone who is looking to be challenged achedemically and spiritually. This school is best for those looking to have an open mind and attitude to diversity, spirituality, service, etc.

Rebecca

My school is best known for being founded by swedish people.

My school is best known for being founded by swedish people.

First and foremost, I would tell the parents and the students to sit down and find as much information as they can about the schools they are considering. Try and find people who have either gone there or graduated and ask them questions about financial aid, campus activities, professors, on-campus housing and how welcome the school made them feel. If they are christian, I would tell them to pray about it before they make their choice. If they don't rely on God for answers then do process of elimination. Sit down with the parents and see which school upholds the same values as they do. See which school seems like they live up to those values by taking a campus visit, and most importantly, while on the campus visit, try and talk to students that already go there. Talk to every single race if you can to see if everyone is treated fairly, to see how each race likes it, and to get an idea of what the atmosphere of the campus is like.

There is no best thing about my school in my opinion. I really do not like my school. Unless you are an african american guy, or an african american girl who drinks all the time and acts like you have money, the white people dont talk to you. they are very jealous and dont want to help the african americans out with their school work because they are afraid we will do better.

Emma

I applied to all Christian colleges. North Park is one of the only Christian schools that is in a major city, that does not force students to go to any form of chapel and is considered very liberal. North Park uses the Christian background that it upholds and the urban environment in serving others throughout the community. North Park is a dry campus but there are plenty of opportunities to drink in the city as well as off-campus parties. North Park is one of the only Christian Universities that allows students to be intoxicated on campus without penalty.

Visit the colleges, make sure that the school you are considering doesn't just sound good but, feels right.

The school places high priority on service. North park is in an amazing community; one of the most diverse neighborhoods in Chicago, so living in Albany Park on the campus of North Park I am constantly exposed to so many different cultures. North Park is a Christian University, so you see that the religious background is important but never brings about any sort of discrimination or pressure to believe certain things.

Go with your gut instinct. The first impression is often the most important impression.

The worst thing is the noise at night. We are in the city, so there is a lot going on at night.

The most frusterating thing is that people aren't always in their office when you're looking for them.

North Park University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.