North Shore Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for North Shore Community College

Gene

If I could do it all again, I would most likely have sought private vocational training rather than pursuing a degree at this institution. The administration and paperwork process is unnecessarily tedious, I never had an instance where I did not require overrides for schedule choices within my major. These processes usually took 15 to 20 minutes to complete and quite honestly should not have required me to personally go into the offices in the first place. It also did not help that the office staff treated me like I was incompetent until they themselves found that they needed to do some "special override". While much of the administration has been cleared up by local government intervention, many of the office staff will still prove to be an issue for new students, returning students and alumni alike. The education is substandard. While there are professors who DO care about their students, the curriculum is out of date which in the end short changes the students. Within my own program I found myself in the 2013/2014 year working out of books and equipment over 10 years old. While most students will agree, new editions of textbooks every year is a bit much, in progressive programs such as medicine and technology having the cutting edge info is vital. My degree was technology based, in the hardware class I brought in parts and cables from home because there were no examples in the lab of current computer hardware. The fundamental "advanced" class on networking had students working with Microsoft Server 2003. The current version is 2012, in it's second revision with a new version on the way. The disaster recovery course had us running out of a book from 2002. Likewise, our networking security book was pre-2010. I ended up getting an education that would have been top notch in 2004, not 2014. After attending NSCC, I would have been better off not attending it in the first place.

Maya

Great

Jackie

I love North Shore and how affordable it is. I plan on being an elementary school art teacher and North shore is putting me in the right direction for this to happen. I hope to continue my education here for the next year. This school has wonderful professors, great classes, and a convenient location.

Sophie

For my purposes-gaining credit while in my gap year-North Shore Community College has served me well. I would most likely not, however seek a degree from here. The classes are good for elementary/fundamental skill building, but lack a level of deeper thinking and analysis seen in most upper-level educational institutes. That being said, the price is great and the professors seem to really care about their students.

Danny

Its a great school, I recommended it for people who want a new start, and who want to get a great career start.

I'm very impressed with this school. I'm very grateful for the overwhelming amount of support from faculty. I've developed a bond with some of my professors and I'm so grateful for their wisdom as I had some trouble balancing work, life, and school. I'm also very pleased with the ease of the online courses that I have taken.

tamira

This is a great college to save money, me as a first time mom and getting back on my feet. I recommend this college we have tutoring sessions if you need them and they really care about you. You even get awards for being a great student. I love it so much. Sign up for TRIO by the way they help out a lot.