Chicago, IL
Northeastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northeastern Illinois University

Amber

Northeastern Illinois University is an okay school. But I care about my education. I am in the Honors Program and still do not feel academically challenged. The FYE classes are supposed to help freshman get to know each other and get use to the college, moat of the class is lecture based with the few interactive activities that are dry.

Ayah

It is a great and open school for all cultures.

It is a great and open school for all cultures.

Philip

I would tell myself to take your college education seriously. Any time that you take off from school, only prolongs you from reaching your goals. Work hard in your classes and go the extra mile; you get what you give. Take part in extracurricular activities such as school clubs; the friends you make and the experiences you gain from clubs will play a huge part in your development as a student. Be bold, take risks, and push yourself to do things you wouldn't normally do academically and personally. School is the best time to grow and become a bigger, stronger, and ultimately better you. Learn how to manage stress. Things can become quite hectic during midterms and finals, but just remember that if you put in the work, everything will be fine, and you will see the grades. Help a fellow classmate, aiding them in their academic sucess can be extremely rewarding. Lastly, I would say apply for scholarships. There are people who are willing to help students financially so they can acheive their goals, don't be afraid to ask for their help!

The best thing about NEIU is room E112: the A/V editing room. I am able to go in there on my free time and work on my school projects using industry professional programs such as AVID, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After effects, Photoshop, and much more. These programs are too expensive for me to own right now as a full-time student, but because of NEIU, I am able to get all the practice I need for when I graduate and tackle those programs in the professional world.

The only person that should not attend NEIU is the student who doesn't plan on taking their education seriously. The school is fantastic with great professors and an extremely accommodating administration. Everyone is genuinely passionate about the sucess of the students. Yet, there are no hand outs at NEIU; you must work for your degree! If a student doesn't do well, it's their fault, not the school's.

Iwona

Northeastern Illinois University is most known for embracing diversity and providing for a nontraditional, unusual college experience. It is known for providing those who face adversity with an exceptional education and opportunities they might not otherwise have.

I came from a different country and studied at Northeastern with very little language skills. I wish I had taken more English courses in high school, so that I could have had an easier time in school. I also wish I had participated in more clubs at Northeastern, so I could have networked more. What you give to the school, you get back. Investing in the school is a good idea because it helps you out in the future in various ways.

A student attending Northeastern Illinois should be ambitious, but also hardworking. My own experience at Northeastern allowed me to get an education despite being a recent immigrant without giving me debt for the rest of my life.

Mohamed

My classmates often seeem like people unsure of where they are going. The campus itself is very diverse, with people from all walks of life, but many of them do not seem sure of what is going to happen to them after they graduate. This creates somehting of an uneasy atmosphere throughout campus even though there are plenty of programs to help them. It is almost like they do not trust university programs to help them out of a sense of cynicism and doubt. The people are very aceepting, though of people from different cultures.

My school is best know for being an affordable, diverse place. I myself attend Northeastern instead of another institution because it is close to my home and I know that I will have an easier time paying for my education than a more expensive institution. I am continually astounded by how much diversity there is on campus; it is a very urban place filled with people with various specialties from all walks of life.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to stop letting my fears get in the way of doing what I want to do. For a whole semester, I did not attend college because I was frightened; I did not know what field I wanted to go in and I was only focused on wht would earn me the most money instead of what would make me happiest. Playing it safe has its uses, but I would advise my past self to avoid taking it too far and to not be afraid of taking chances and living life. It is only through making mistakes and overcoming doubts that we learn how to live. I would also advise my younger self to not be so withdrawn; meeting new people and making new friends is a key part of college life. Refusing to do so out of mistrust and fear will not make college easy or fun. Being afraid to ask for help from the faculty of other students is a key to having a miserable college experience. You only get out of college what you try to achieve and the effort you put in.

Karen

Busy, trying to keep up with paperwork to complete my acceptance.

Busy, trying to keep up with paperwork to complete my acceptance.

This would be my first year attending this school as a transfer student from a community college. I hope to enjoy my time there.

KAREN! Study. This may sound cliche but you are a smart girl, with a little more effort you could acheive anything. College is expensive and you know you do not have money so work hard for scholarschips. Keep your head up when mom says you can not do someting. You know that is how she has always been but what do you do? Usually prove her wrong, so continue to do so. Can I let you in on a little secret? You know that boy you have been inlove with since freshman year? He will stay in your life but put yourself in front of him. Make choices for you, boys are dumb sometimes but do not let it affect you. You are going to have a beautiful little miracle and to be ready for him you can not give up on school! Besides prove everybody wrong, show them that you are not just the typical hispanic, who became pregnant at 18. At least you earned your diploma and have the ambition to keep moving forward with school. Let me just say as future Karen working is not fun, working at a regular job and not a career, of course.

Qiana

Northeastern Illinois University has alot of resources like tutoring, physical and mental health services, peer mentoring and a gym; the student population is diverse and have wide creativity such as artists and perfromers; the professors are knowledgeable and willing to work with and build relationships with students.

The kind of person attending or wanting to attend NEIU should be serious about wanting a bachelors degree and open to challenges and experiences they will face during their time here. They will need to stay focused and utilize the resources available.

Cathryn

My high school senior year and the following two years were a trial, a tribulation, a test. They were hard, frustrating, and unexpected. The past two years were suppose to be spent in college but I have not started yet. Nonetheless, I have learned and grown so much, especially in my senior year. If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would stand back and remain silent. I do not want to tamper with my past, as much as I would like to, because I was being tested. I am going to be a better person and have a better life. I know now what I want to do with my life. For starters, I will be starting college this coming fall. My family has always cherished education. Starting in my senior year, I was getting an invaluable education; it would continue for two more years and will keep going. I may have needed some great advice in my senior year from my future self, but the truth is that she did not need it. She put me on the course to the life I am to live and to the person I am to become.

Chante

Life is what you make of it, weather hard or easy, but nothing worth having comes free. During your walk through life, there are going to be struggles, challenges, and stressors. Also, there are going to be happy moments, joyous occasions, successful breakthroughs, and breathtaking adventures. However, it is how you perceive and react to what you encounter, which will determine a positive or negative outcome for your situation. Never wish your experiences could have been different, or let obstacles stop you from achieving your goals. My advice to myself would be as the Nike tagline says: “Just do it!” Take all steps needed to pursue all of your dreams and a higher education. If you want recognition, growth, and success, do not sit around waiting on someone to direct you. As a tip for achieving your goals: evaluate the situation, discipline yourself, prepare in advance, and pray for courage and strength. Always take teacher's criticism as fuel to accomplish your life’s goals and dreams. College marks another phase of life, therefore take lots of notes and strive for greatness. It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.

The type of person that should attend this school, an open minded type of person. I say open minded because the professors are teaching you in every form possible in order to expand your mind and experience.

The number one thing that I brag about the most is my professors. They love their job and they make sure that you are learning and not just by the books.

Claudiu

Honestly its best know as being an option open to everyone. They have programs to make sure people are accomodated no matter their level of learning. Some people want to go to a real college instead of community and so they go here. Its a commuter college so its also a good deal cheaper without board. When I was touring the campuss I saw both young and old, high achiever and low achievers, as well as all ethnicities. That to me was the strongest proof that NEIU is meant to be accessible to all.

The college search is serious business. If you want to go to a great college, you need to look for it and do your research. You've spent the last four years of your life working hard to get good grades to excell in college. However, it all goes to waste if that effort is not put towards finding a college and scholarships to pay for it. I left my college search until last minute, and I had to settle for less than what I believed I was capable of. Unlike high school where there was always the threat of a lower grade or someone constantly checking up on you. No one supervised me with my college plans, and so I let myself slack off. I know past me doesn't believe when people say he has the power to change the world, because it sounds cheesy. However, my failures and successes in college have taught me that my own efforts matter. Even when no one is telling you what to do, you should still do everything in your power to get yourself the best opportunities and improve yourself as a person.

The lack of coordination, there seems to be a constant uncertainty that surrounds everything. Information is scattered and you sometimes have to go digging to find something you want or need. As someone with little college experience I found it difficult to find the information I needed to get my financial situation under control. One of the programs that claimed it would save me money missinformed me, and that the $4000 id save off tuition, is just in remedial classes id otherwise have to take. This is the clearest example of missinformation I've had to work against.

Northeastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.