Chicago, IL
Northeastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northeastern Illinois University

Dorothy

My college experience has helped me understand the true meaning of hope and promise in life. Being friends with a group of people who did not have a desire to attend college or start a family of their own in the near future, the junior college I attended offered me options to what career path I would like to follow. I found the career path I wanted to work towards and NEIU has given me hope/promise that I will reach my goal of attaining my degree and working in the marketing field. NEIU has provided me with a graduation plan. I am aware of what I need to do to achieve my full potential. My college experience has given me hope and promise that I will graduate and have an opportunity to live the life I dreamt of as a little girl. My college experience is providing me with an opportunity to wake up in the morning, make breakfast for my kids as I send them off to school, head to work to provide for my family, and do it happily for the rest of my life. This is why my college experience's value is priceless!

I wish I had known the exact credits that would be accepted through my transfer from the previous junior college that I attended. I just felt that I wasted a semester or two of schooling through taking classes that apparently do not count towards my degree and my degree earning program. I suppose it is my fault for not reading into the coursework and transfer policies sooner. I was not quite sure what I wanted to do as a career. However, now, I have a plan, career path, and an institution where I can accomplish my goals and dreams.

I commute to my school regularly so I would have to say the worst thing about attending NEIU would have to be the parking. With tuition payments and additional fees for school it is hard to afford a parking pass as well. Therefore, I park in the residential parking areas and walk to my classes from there and it is far from a fun walk during Chicago's bleak winter days.

Donald

I have gained alot of knowledge since going to Tarrant County College, and hoping to transfer to University of North Texas by fall of 2011. College has been valuable to me because I would like to get a job in the oil and gas companies and also helping my sister with a heart condition and her doctor bills have been outrages, I would love to hurry and graduate from college to help out my family. My interest in going to college is learning about becoming a Mechanical Engineer, but money issues is what stopping my future into a complete halt. I hope to win a scholarship so I can continue my education.

Lorena

I believe that for me I have advanced significantly in the field of Social Work. Having a diverse atmosphere has also helped because it has given me the opportunity to learn a lot from diferent ethnic groups. The college experience helped to get my foot into adulthood, I have matured a lot. In adddition having the freedom to learn, be respected and challenged is also a positive experience in my eyes. People who miss this experience tend to not understand this world and education. Some people have eventually returned to school because they see this gap in their lives and want to enhance their eduation and career.

It is culturaly diverse and in addition to this the Social work program is great. I found that training in this field at Northeastern is exceptional. The professors are experienced and challenge their students in the field of social work.

The number one thing is how diverse the school is.

Michelle

I am a returning student and I have realized that I can succeed. My first time in college I did not do good at all, and ended up leaving due to family issues. This time I have been VERY successful; I have a 3.87 GPA at the local community college and raised my cumulative gpa from 1.37 to 2.84. I have learned a lot about myself and my abilities. Even though my life is much fuller, I schedule my time much better and get everything accomplished I need to , including homework, work, school, housekeeping. My first attempt at college, I don't think that I was doing it for the right reasons- I felt like I was expected to go. At this point in my life, I know myself better and I feel my chosen career path, Social Work, is my calling. Also, I have met an instructor that has been a mentor to me, encouraging me and helping me with letters of recommendation and transfer school advice. I think that if I had not taken a chance at going back to school, I would always wonder "what if'. Now I know what "what if" is!

Jasmine

My school is best known for its teaching program. It is also the most diverse college in the midwest.

My college experience started a week after i graduated from high school. I graduated a year early from high school and didn't really have a break between transitioning from high school to collge life. I joined a program called Proyecto 'Pa Lante which was intended to help students succeed in college, the same way the AVID program helped prepare me for college. Through entering in the program I had to be interviewed which in my opinion helped me prepare for job interviews. I succeeded at my interview and was even offered to take free classes over the summer in a program called Summer Transition Program(STP). This program offered two free classes at three credit hours each for entering college freshman. I learned alot about myself as well as college through this experience and am glad i took the opportunity. I learned the things arounf my school so i dont get lost and i learned that college work is more serious than high school. We had a tutor and counselor helping us every step of the way. The program lasted about two months. Now i am in need of money for the following semester.

I brag most about myself to my friends about how the school is in a safe neighborhood and the tuition is not too expensive.

Urszula

Out of my college experience I have received the opportunity to work with various people from all walks in life. I have met students, who have returned after a very long absence to complete their education, even though at some of their ages they did not need to. Their persistence has inspired and encouraged me to continue my education no matter what challenges I may face in life. It is so valuable to attend a university in this day and age in order to have a job and be able to support yourself and your family in the future that it has become my initiative to help other younger students make the right choice in life and continue their education at any college or university.

As a college student, I think that the best thing about my university is that I am able to work with others to help classmates study for upcoming tests and exams. We try to find time to create study groups and circles, at least once a week, to be updated and fill-in the holes in notes as well as provide each other with in-sights and knowledge that we have collected. On the side, we have literary magazine, which allows students to show creativity, and an art gallery. We're a close-knit community, but the best one.

Before I came to this school, I wish I had known that there were many more choices than being able to become a teacher. There are several different majors as well as minors to choose from that I could have considered. However, I cannot complain because the advisors were wonderful to explain it all during orientation. Also, that it's a commuter school and that we have a lack in U-Passes for our public commute and absolutely no dorms or housing for students that live off campus.

Lisa

I've been in college for ten years. I believe there are two reasons for this. One: I have a tendency to underestimate myself by a lot and often. I am terrified of failure and thus I was preoccupied with choosing something that I knew I would excel at which led me to quit something that I felt was too hard. Two: I changed it because I thought a different major might make me more money after I graduated. I decided to change my approach and study something that actually interests me and not worry so much about what I'm going to "do with" my degree. As a chemistry major I know I will face academic challenges and I am finally excited to face them head-on. I'm also interested to see where my degree will take me, rather than going into it knowing where I'm going. What I know for certain is that college degree is the ticket to a better future, even if it takes awhile. This entire experience (and it's really not over yet!) has taught me how to view myself more positively in order be successful and achieve my goals.

I love our library. It has every research book available and the librarians are really sweet and helpful.

I would say that the lack of computers is a big problem. I have a laptop but for the less fortunate students it seems as if there is always a line in the lab.

Gwendolyn

My school is best known for it's education program, which I am currently enrolled in. They have very good relationships with many of the chicago public schools and even some in the surrounding suburbs. The school is really best if you are enrolled in this education program because most of those who graduate form Northeastern Illinois University are well rounded and have already started working within the school system while they are in their classes.

I have gotten something extremely valuable from this university so far. It has given me a piece of mind knowing that my tuition bill will not be 50,000, but that I am still getting an education worthy of that price. It also gives me piece of mind knowing that I have people who care about me and where I go after college so that I will not have to struggle. I have wonderful teachers there to guide me and to teach me the ways of my craft. Teaching is not something one should take lightly as a career. One has to dedicate themselves to it and give 100% because those students who enter your classroom doors deserve nothing less. I know that when I graduate from here I will be graduating with a degree I can be proud of and that I know I have worked myself to the bone for. More than that, I will have companions with we who have been through these same trials and together we have come out strong. I will take these caretakers and friends and treasure them always because they have shaped who I have become, so thank you Northeastern Illinois University.

I tell them about how great the envirnment is. Everyone here knows what they want and are not here to mess around. They all come here to get a degree to get a specific job, they are money conscious, and really friendly. The class sizes are perfect because there are just enough people that it doesn't feel odd, but there are no crazy 500 people lecture classes. The teachers are really there to help and are experts in their fields which gives us students a very valuable resource.

Yesenia

Northeastern is a very diverse, interesting school with many clubs that just about anyone can join.

This is my first year in college and I expected it to be easier. I was not eligible for finacial aid and I must pay everything out of my own pocket. Being in this situation has made me realize that going to college is very important. It it really hard finding a good paying job without a degree and many tend to put you down. Also being in college is a great experience and gives you a good idea of what is the real world. You have more responsibilities and less safety in terms of not as much extra credit if you miss assignments or class. We must take the opportunity we have of going to college and not take it for granted.

Tishina

One thing I believe that I have gotten out out of my college experience so far is that I have learned that 'I can do this'. I didn't choose to further my education until I was twenty-six, so when I first returned, I was very apprehensive. Going to college at this age has been very rewarding. The teachers that I have worked with so far have been very understanding and helpful, and they all show and interest in seeing their students succeed. College has so far been very exciting and I can't wait to continue to further my education!

Northeastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.