Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

I think the thing NAU is known for is its seasons. It is the only state college in Arizona that experiences all four seasons.

Attending college has given me the chance to mature a lot and experience living on my own. Since i have been in college I have had to learn to rely on myself and not my parents.

The best thing about my school is it is a big school but it has the little school feel to it. It feels like you know everyone but if your looking to meet new people there certainly are plenty of them.

My school is best known for the snow! We are approx. a half-hour away from skiing and snowboarding, which is why some people choose to attend.

I have learned more about myself and the person I want to be in my first semester at college than I have in my nineteen years of life. I have seen, heard and even experienced things I had only heard or dreamed about. I learned what it is like to pull an all-nighter, something I hope I never have to repeat. I learned how to deal with people I don't like, even if they are living in the same room as me. I learned how to make healthy choices, avoiding the dreaded freshman fifteen. But, overall I have learned who I am and where I want to be going. For the first time I feel confident about my future, not uncertainty. I take pride in what I do and who I have become. I know that I am going somewhere, and that I am making a difference with my education. I truely cannot wait to continue on my journey of self discovery and pursue never ending dreams.

When asked about school, I brag to all my friends about the atmosphere that I live in. NAU is such a laid back and welcoming community. It really has made me feel at home and makes it much easier for me to focus on school.

Alexander

Northern Arizona University is best known for its weather. Though the campus is located in the high desert, Flagstaff gets a lot of snow each year. Located around 10 minutes from Arizona's prime ski resort, NAU is a natural choice for avid skiiers and snowboarders alike. With sledding and other activities too look forward to, students can always find something to do. Also, they hope for snow days and perhaps a canceled final exam, something that is not unheard of around Flagstaff.

I chose Northern Arizona University because of its close proximity to my home. Naturally, this college was the choice of many of my companions from highschool. Going into the school year, I expected to cling tightly to my old friends and suffer my way through my first semester of this new education. Since leaving for break, I have had time to reflect on the last few months, and I realized that it was new friends that I had made that helped me through the first seventeen credits. I have gained more understanding from these new friends in 3 months than I have learned in years before. Furthermore as an athlete, I took advantage of Flagstaff's high altitude for my physical training. I didn't have the talent to make the varsity teams on campus, but the intramural sports were open for my benefit. I jumped quickly at the opportunity to play ultimate frisbee, and since joining the club, I have made great friends and I've grown so much both physically and mentally. Before my college experience began I was rather introverted, but being asked what I've gotten out of my college experience, my answer would be confidence.

The small town feel of Flagstaff is incredible. I love the feeling of our campus, because it seems to be so tight-knit. With central hubs like our union, the fieldhouse, and bookstore, it is difficult to walk to a class or meal without running into somone that you know. Northern Arizona University offers all of the emmenities of the typical college campus, without the hectic hussle and bussle that makes larger universities so difficult to navigate.

Kelly

My classmates are extremely friendly. Generally, people are very welcoming and open to study sessions and group work. It is also very easy to make friends in classroom settings. People are also very studious when they have to be, which makes it easier to encourage yourself to work harder.

I have gotten so much out of attending a university. It was very surprising to me to find that the professors at a university really now how to make sure that their students learn the information and take a lot away from the classes. There is so much less emphasis on tests from class to class, it is more about the understanding of the information. Also, the best part is meeting people who are more unique than you could imagine. My best friends at school are unlike anybody that I have ever met before. Meeting people like this really makes a person understand the world better and be less judgemental. People from different areas, with different experiences have different quirks and it makes a person be more understanding towards other people and themselves as well.

Before I attended school I wish I had recieved more information, or advice, on the book ordering process. I did it very last minute before my first semester started because it did not occur to me to do it since it had not really been mentioned before. Incoming freshman need to be advised on the best way to buy or rent their own textbooks. They need to understand how to save money, since textbooks are extremely expensive. Without any advice on this it is extremely overwhelming to be looking for books last minute that cost a fortune.

Allison

The most frustrating thing about NAU is all the crustruction that is currently going on, but it is all for the improvement of our school. The food isn't that great but that is what is to be expected at a school cafeteria. Other than that I really have no complaints.

I have gotten so much out of the college experience. I have grown up so much and learned so much about living on my own. I have met many great people that have helped me grow as a person and become much stronger. College is such an important thing, it helps people get more comfortable and more adjusted to living on your own and more prepared for the future, as well as preparing for your future dream career. College was the best decision I've ever made and I encourage everyone to attend and grow.

The best thing about my school is the atmosphere, its located in a small but not too small town with gorgeous sourrondings. I walk to class every morning looking up at a giant mountian, usually with snow at the top. The people at the school and in town are all very nice and chill people, which you don't always find in bigger schools. NAU is beautiful, good sized, nice people and all around a great experience.

Carol

Someone who doesn't like the outdoors and physical activity. We're basically like Colorado in terms of physical activity.

I have made long-term friends and I have also discovered more about myself. My likes, and dislikes. I have applied myself the most I have ever applied myself in the past two years of college. I intend on graduating early and so far, it's coming along well. I am set in my goals and set in my aspirations. I have learned more than I have ever learned so far.

Haley

What I got out of my college experience is that a good school will try to help you succeed. It's valuable to attend if you want to become something great. If I had never chose to attend college I would not only be losing out on an education but I would be losing out on an experience only a few get to achieve. I would not grow as a person because I would never have to depend on myself. College, if anything, has taught me how to become more responsible for my actions.

They did not focus on the education but the money each student brought in. The teachers did not care all the time or were unsure what they were teaching.

That NAU is a most hippy school you can go to. If you like smoking marijuana then that is the school to go to.

I have learned so much in the past 2 years. I have understood what to put first in my life and it is, of course, college. College has made me to understand more about different subjects and why they are needed in our everyday life. I have learned more and more every single day i enter a class and I gain so much knowledge and information. I'ts very valuable to me in so many ways. It makes my parents proud and It helps me accomplish so much by attending so that I may go on and do what I love to do!

We all want to help each other out, because we're all in the same boat!

We all want to help each other out, because we're all in the same boat!

I remember the fresh air stinging my face, as the breeze gently hugged my shoulders. I was silent for a while, taking in the campus under a warm blanket of sun. This was where I needed to be. With that realization resonating within me, I chose to attend Northern Arizona University. Because of that one decision, I’ve had a college experience unlike any other. On this campus, you’re an individual with your own major and your own lifestyle. You’ve chosen to be here; you want to be here. At the same time, you’re part of a greater community. On this campus, you’re surrounded by people who believe that success is attainable, and you have the tools to get there. You are a lumberjack, important and accomplished no matter what you do. With these characteristics, you can go far. You can push past a simple degree into a realm of true experience. The opportunities here allow many to witness what they treasure most, and challenge what they don't understand. It’s because of these things that an education here, has proven to be valuable. This is lumberjack territory, and this is where I’ll stay.

The worst thing about my school is the abundance of drug usage and drinking. I'm sure it happens at every school, but this university is known in Arizona for it's party atmosphere. If you have the will to stay out of it however, it's not too difficult to stay on the right path!

Stepping off the stage with diploma in hand, what's next? Beginning a new school with fresh faces for the first time since kindergarten can be a bit intimidating. I have grown up in the same town and seen the same people year after year in school my entire life. The first year of college I was kind of shy not breaking out of my shell just quite yet. The second year though, I have learned to let loose and meet new people and face new challenges as they come. I was afraid before, to get out into the real world thinking that I would be unable to conquer the hardships that I was going to face. The biggest question of all now is what do I want to do? Truly? I want a job that is going to help people and make a difference in at least one person's life. I have chosen nursing to help me follow that path. College has been the greatest asset I've had in deciding my future. There is so much diversity and yet there are so many similarities between us and every person just needs a little bit of love.

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.