Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

Christine

My transition to college was like being pushed off a high-dive, everything rushed in at once. If I could go back and give my high school self advice it would be to wait. I'd tell her not to go right to college just because she thinks she has to; to travel, live, and figure out what she likes to do. I'd say she has plenty of time to decide what to be when she grows up, and she'll change her mind a few times along the way, so pick things she'll enjoy doing rather that doing what she's told she should do. I'd tell her friends are wonderful, but spending all your time with them makes it hard to study; some of what I learned in class will actually be useful someday - she should pay attention. I'll also tell her there's a lot of things I learned in class that I never used, so don't study all the time - some of those friendships will last for years, and teach her things classes never could. I'd say "Have fun, take your time, and be yourself - there's no rush."

I tell my friends that I am learning from professors with current, real-world knowledge, who are genuinely interested in my progress as a student and in helping me achieve my career goals.

The best thing about NAU is that the campus and town are large enough to have a wide variety of people and activitites, but is still small enough that a student doesn't get lost in it. Classes are large enough to provide a good mix of perspectives, but small enough that every one of my professors know my name.

April

Throughout high school I was an acceptable student , however, that was one issue, I was only mediocre. I always managed to get a"B" in my classes, but this was never enough to stand out. I wish i could have talked to myself and forced myself to study harder and do the very best to my abililties. This would have helped me retain the information a little better, rather than memorized and slightly forgetting the information. Critical thinking is a big part of the college process. If I would have done more quality work during high school, there would have been a better chance of retaining the information learned. This information would have been useful when trying to solve problems for my college classes. There was not so much critical thinking in high school, it was mostly memorization. If I could go back in time, I would definitely tell myself to critically analyze the questions asked and spend more time with learning the information, rather than memorizing.

I wish I would have known more about the degree programs. I did not do as much research as i could have on them, because i have declared a major, Environmental Studies, but i am thinking about changing it to nutrition. Unfortunately, NAU does not have a nutrition degree available, so this means i am stuck with Environmental Studies, or i have to transfer. The councelors were not very helpful in explaining each degree program to me either. I wish they could explain what each degree was for and possible career choices with that degree, so i could have options.

This school is more of a liberal arts school, with more focus in Physcal and Social Sciences, Education as well. Someone who desires a medical career or business degree should not attend this school because i feel there are stronger programs elsewhere.

Jefffrey

Work hard and don't give up on yourself. Apply to schools early and work on getting as many scholarships as you can because paying for college isn't easy. Don't waste time doing nothing when you know that you should be doing homework. Don't join every club just because other people are. Join clubs that make you happy and will benefit you. Take up leadership opportunities because they'll teach you how to prioritize and organize your schedule. It's ten times better to be a student than to be an athlete. An athlete's career ends when they are no longer useful. With a good education and good schools, you can get a job that will ensure your future worthiness. Don't let your future control what you do now either. Don't try and predict what is going to happen in the future. Instead, just know what you want and pursue it to the end. Finally, do not let your mistakes in the past haunt you. Live your life without chaining your mind and heart to things that will hold you back. Stay free and dedicated to only yourself until you are ready.

When the water from the snow freezes at night, the ice can be annoying. Walking in the night makes it hard to tell what parts of the ground are frozen and which parts are not. Although, it is fun watching people waddle on the ice, trying not to embarass themselves by falling. The only real problem with ice is that you have to take your time and move cautiously and that can make it hard to get to class on time if there is ice in the morning.

Overcrowded classes aren't a problem here but sometimes there are classes that can't take anymore students. If you aren't on the honors program or an athlete, you have to really persist in order to get the classes you want and the schedule you desire.

Julia

The ability to go back in time and talk to myself would be one of the best things that could happen to me. If I was able to do so, I would start by telling myself that it is going to be a big change, even if you're only two hours away. I would then tell myself to make sure that I put myself out there, and make new friends, because they are what will keep you sane in college. Without them, college is a lonely place where all you do is work. I would then tell myself the obvious, go to class. But the obvious is not always followed, and tends to get a lot of people into trouble (I have first hand experience). Make sure you eat properly is another. Do not pig out on junk food or cheeseburgers all the time, it will slow you down and make it almost impossible to stay alert in class. Most importantly though, I would tell myself to have fun, and not take everything too seriously; college is supposed to be a time of your life where you have a blast and grow into yourslef. Make sure you have fun.

The best thing about NAU is the enviornment. It isn't like a big city, you have the forest all around you and tons of outdoor activities you can take part in. The weather is always beautiful, summer or winter. In the summer you can go hiking, and in the winter you can go snowboarding, it is an all around great place to be if you love outdoor activites.

The most frustrating thing about NAU is the seperation of the campus. The South end is far away from almost everything and very isolated. If you want to feel social and meet many new people in a very easy way, you should be on North campus, because that is where all the action takes place.

Irae

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, i would have so much more advice. First and formal, i would tell myself to make sure to sign up for scholarships way ahead of time. Also make sure you keep up with your grades. Then i would make sure that i learn better study techniques, and know how to study in a more quiet environment. Another important thing i would tell myself, is to prioritize well and have good time management. To know that school is first, and that you're going to college to better your future and to be successful.

There is no kind of person that shouldn't attend this school because like i said we are so diversed and there is so many different opprotunities for anyone, no matter what kind of personality or interest you have.

To me the best thing about my school is that it is so diversed and it is easy to get around campus. My school also provides transportation throughout campus. Buildings are very strong and beautiful. I also like that there is so much clubs and orginizations that i can be involved with. People are so friendly and you can ask anyone for help. Another thing that makes my school the best is that we are so involved with our community and everything is close to eachother and very convient.

Bailey

Everyone is from a different background, so describing them would be like describing the United States - everyone is different in their own right.

If I were to go back in time, I would tell myself to be who I really am. I hide behind a facade when in the presence of others, but everyone is different and so am I. I'm beginning to break out of my shell and be who I want to be and express my opinions more in class because I know I won't be judged by my classmates. And if they don't like me, well then that's their problem because I love who I am and that I don't need their judgements to bother me. I would also tell myself to relax and have fun - school isn't all about studying all the time. Make friends and go have fun in your free time.

I brag about how many snow days I get compared to how many days of heat they have to suffer in in Arizona. This semester, I've already had 2.5 snow days while they get drenched with rain and still have to go to class while I can sit cozy in my dorm, watching the snow fall.

Brianna

A small scale liberal school that deals well with both the Arts and the Sciences.

Go slow, ignore the counselors, and reach out to people. Don't be afraid to speak your mind, and don't let anyone talk down to you. Get more scholarships, you'll need them. Most importantly, get out more!

The administrators, not teachers, are very good at running you around in circles without ever resolving your problem, the only way to get help is to go straight to a manager.

Jennilynn

I came from a lower class family that lived on the southeast side of Chicago. I was an excellent student until I developed panic disorder. I was fearful of having a panic attack at school and that lead to my lack of my attendance . I didn't understand my condition and my family didn't have money for therapy . Ultimately, fear kept me from persuing my dream of becoming the first female in my family to receive a bachelor's degree. If I could go back, I would give myself the encouragement that I needed. I'd give a clear explaination of what panic disorder is and why it shouldn't push me off track. I'd explain the importance of having a college "career" and how it would give me the confidence that I needed in life. I'd tell myself that attending college means more than having a degree in hand. It's an experience that builds integrity, which is exactly what I needed to become a successful adult. Most importantly, I'd tell myself that I'd never get ahead if I let fear make my choices.

Paige

Nestled within thousands of oaks and pines and south of the San Francisco Peaks, Northern Arizona University houses thousands of spirited students and encourages the educational endeavors of its many residents.

With both the opportunity to speak with my high-school self and the knowledge that I have acquired during my freshman year of post-secondary education, I would give myself several pieces of advice regarding the transition into college life. The first piece of advice regards the importance of scholarships and financial aid. Of all the different extra-curricular activities available, applying for scholarships is one of which I would advise my na?ve self to participate. Secondly, as I now know, living five hundred miles away from the individuals I care most about is a difficult aspect of college life. I would advise my high-school self to try not to worry about the separation. Even though all of those individuals are miles away, they will always remain close at heart. The final piece of advice I would give myself is to release any inhibitions and enjoy the time that I have at hand. A potpourri of people diversifies any college campus. So far I have met a variety of individuals. I would advise myself to be comfortable with my personality and semblance and find the friends who will enjoy me for exactly what I am.

The worst aspect of Northern Arizona University is the food. Dining Services provides a regimented menu every week and it rarely changes. The usual items are prepared daily and only occasionally is an appealing meal prepared. Also, sometimes the food does not seem fresh and it is not always warm. I wish that I could prepare my own meals, especially since what I have to eat is not worth the money paid in advance for it.

Kyndra

Our school is best known for being close to the Snowbowl and getting snow days. Many people come to NAU to be closer to the snowbowl so that they can skii and/or snowboard as much as they can.

As a high school senior, I wish someone would have told me to visit as many college campuses as I could and then decided which one I would enjoy and succeed at. I would give myself advice on roommates and how it isn't the wisest decision to room with your best friend. I would tell myself to put myself out there and to try to make as many new friends as possible and to get involved with clubs on campus as well as getting to know the city in which my school is located. I would tell myself that college is completely different from high school and that you have to actually read your textbooks and study everyday to get good grades and succeed in your class. Also, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships and to do anything I can to save money and not get into total debt from school.

A student who enjoys the cold weather, snow, and likes to skii and/or snowboard would fit right in at this school. Also, a student who is looking for a small town feeling and likes the smaller classes would love Northern Arizona University.

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.