Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

Kelsey

My classmates are very intelligent students who are very active in learning about their surroundings and busy planning for their future careers.

College has an outlook to be a great time, but it really takes a lot of dedication and time. It's not all about parties and fun. It's about changing the rest of your life with the start of an education. Concentration is key. I would tell myself to look more into schools that would fit my major and look good when graduation hits. I would pick a school that will fit my personality and style. I would tell myself to make a lot of friends and not to stick with the ones I have already. Life moves on, so don't regret anything. College is a whole new experience and make the best of it. You should pace yourself well and focus on everything. I would join clubs and stay active. College is a huge part of life, and just enjoy every part of it.

The snow days are the best part about the school!

Sara

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior the message would be simple, cherish your time. I found the most difficult thing about college and transitioning was time management. Suddenly I had extra time between classes, I could stay out as late as I wanted and I had no parents to tell me what to do. The problem was my workload increased dramatically. I would tell myself that no matter how smart I think I am in high school, college changes all of that. Nothing in college is unnecessary, if a professor wants you to read a chapter, you better read that chapter. If you don?t study for quizzes like they are test, you will fail. Also I would make sure as a senior I would know to spend more time with friends and family. I would want my younger self to spend most afternoons with friends that choose to go to school very far away and to realize how much my family does for my. Although staying in touch with the Internet is easy, once you leave the people you care about, you miss them terribly.

The worst thing about Northern Arizona is the lack of food. No location is open 24 hours and most of the food stations are in two opposite sides of campus. There needs to be an improvement in food choices and hours.

The most frustrating thing about Northern Arizona is the amount of things to do around. Every so often the school brings good events to campus, but Flagstaff is a small town so it can get boring. It also takes 2 and half hours to get to Phoenix if you want to get to a major mall, airport or concert etc.

Diverse, friendly, and warm, would be the best words to describe my classmates.

Diverse, friendly, and warm, would be the best words to describe my classmates.

Going back and taking to myself, I would be sure to make the statement "It's only going to get harder," abundently clear. As a high-school senior I was lazy, just got average on everything. When I arrived at a University the next fall I was in shell shock. I would try to teach my past high school senior how to study. When I went to my classes I had horrid study habits and preferred to sleep over anything, and everything. Most importantly though, if I could go back, I would try to teach the importance of letting things go. I have a tendancy to beat myself up when I preform poorly, and I realize thats not the way to be. Learn from your mistakes and learn from them to do better the next time, is an important idea for me. Lastly, I would tell myself, your going to do great, no matter what.

The fundimental ideas of chemistry, I just started taking it and I'm struggeling. Also, how to put chains on my car. It snows a lot here, it would have been very useful knowledge.

Breelon

As I approach the conclusion of my freshman year in college, there are quite a few things I wish I had know while still in high school. Today I look back at what I stressed over and I realized that most of it wasn't worth the stress. Yes life is hard and full of obsticles but you have to learn to face them head on with a smile on your face, other wise the ride wouldn't be worth it. I stressed about school, friends, sports, and yes even relationships, and all though everything that didn't seem to go my way felt like the end of the world, it wasn't, it was merely the beginning. I wish that I would have spent more time trying to decipher what was right for me at the time then what was expected of me. The pressures and trials I was put under made me feel like the whole weight of the world could come crashing down on me at any moment. Now I realize that you just have to live every day and no matter what your put up against, the sky will clear.

Anyone that loves having a small campus setting and classes, NAU is the place to be. From having great friends and the numerous activities you can do here, you also have a feeling of discovery. The teachers actually care how your doing in there class, your not just another number to them, they take real interest in your life, and to me that is very important. Also every morning when awake I look out my window and see the beauty of Flagstaff. If the school cant get you the town will.

The most frustrating thing about my school is when you are walking or at least once in our young lives running to class, is when you slip on the massive pile of snow and your books get soaked and all your stuff gets thrown about and people want to help but they are more caught up in laughing at you. Slipping on black ice is a new concept that I was recently introduced to and believe me after a couple of falls you dont really care which newton's law your using.

Erika

My classmates at NAU , for the most part, are intelligent, spontaneous people who can make me feel really great about myself almost all the time; in short, my classmates are my family.

Anyone who thinks they are going to impress people by wearing their "oh-so-cute" new heels when we just had three snow days and most of campus is covered in ice. Also, while it is a stereotype of my school, I would recommend that people who do not care at all about the environment or going green should probably pick a different university.

When I first looked into attending a school that is about 300 miles from my house, I worried that I would not be successful without the support of my family, with whom I am very close. After they helped me move into my dorm and were getting ready to leave, I cried. But , probably the most important thing I've learned about myself through this process and my schooling so far, is that I can be very scuccessful independently. I threw myself into marching band, joined the national honorary band fraternity Kappa Kappa Psi, and found an entirely new family right here on campus. If I were to give any advice to incoming freshmen in the future, it would definitely be to get involved and find a group of people that they can belong with. I know for me, being in band and making all those new friends, made all the difference. I attribute much of my success in college thus far to having forty people I know will be there for me no matter what. And, most importantly, I have learned that I am an independent, self-motivating student, and nothing can ever take that away from me.

Alejandro

very attminated by they way i look, and sound. They judge a person before they get to now them

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to only take the classes I needed and not any of the one credit classes that I took, to be happy because I was going to make a lot of friends and to always trust my heart. I would also tell myself to take advantage of the help support that the school provides with my classes and not to be afraid cause you have learning disability

i would say the people that really dont care about going to school, they're there just to party and have fun but waste the students that want to learn and the teacher time

Duane

I would meet myself back in 2006 at the front doors of my high school math class. I would stop myself and say ?where are you going to attend college?? Certainly I would know my answer but in 2006 I was ignorant about how college would be. Only little experiences while attending an upward bound program. I tell myself to meet outside and chat about what is coming in the near future. I would tell myself go beyond your classes and I know how talented you are. You are one of the top students in the high school and would graduate with honors. There are endless opportunities out there for school and you are a good candidate to receive all these opportunities. Do not be lazy and just do the paper work. Better to try then not to at all. When you get to college do not hesitate to sit up front in the class and stay away from that girl she is trouble. Just wait on the job and focus more on your school work because your job with interfere with your studies. During the hard times always remember where your coming from and why you are in college.

The things I brag about with this school are that it is huge. I came from a small college and comparing the two there is a big difference. Another is the program that I am majoring in. My other college did not have my intended major and when I came here they had all sorts of programs to choose from. Last thing is how glorious the surroundings are around this university. A small town but a lot of site scenes and history.

I think the type of student who should not attend this school is the one who are lazy and not determined. First being lazy at this university will cost a lot and if you do not take education seriously then there goes thousands of dollars. This money could be from your parents, scholarships and the government who all want each individual to succeed in school. This school is not cheap in my eyes even though I am an instate student. Second not having determination and motivation to attend class will certainly lead to dropping out.

Brianna

The majority of my classmates are unknown to me. I take mostly online classes so my classmates can be from anywhere in the world and any age. I currently have a female classmate in my Spanish class that is located in Paris. It is hard to get to know them, when you don't have a face to put to the name. Most of the classmates are there to work and we don't get to bond like in a regular classroom setting.

As I mentioned, I am missing out on being able to bond with my classmates. I have learned that online classes are just as hard if not harder than the "real" classroom setting. I have to fend for myself most of the time or make sure I get online when the instructors are available. It has been a real learning experience. There is no time to procrastinate even if I wanted to. Overall, I think I just miss the face to face with other students like myself.

If I could go back and talk with myself as a high school senior, I think that I would definitely have a few things to say. I would tell myself not to procrastinate thinking there will be more time later. Time is precious! I would also tell myself to look for funding sources early and have an alternate plan in case things do not work out the way you think they should. No boy is worth sacrificing your future. Do not hold yourself back and always do your best. Learning from your mistakes really is valuable advice. Ask for help when you need it, don't be afraid! Don't think that there is a limit on dreaming and most importantly have fun! There is always going to be time to work and time to play. Most importantly, always remember to believe in yourself, you are only as successful as you make yourself out to be. No one is going to be able to live your life for you, take chances and it's okay to make mistakes. Always keep moving forward and strive to be the best you can be. Stay Strong and Hold Your Head Up High!!

Don't worry about the school councelor telling you that your family makes too much money to be elligable for financial aid or let the teachers which told you how costly it is to go to college discourage you. You will do it on your own working part time on pay that is under $9 per hour while going to college part time & will be very proud of yourself. Eventually you will qualify on your own for financial aid & will be given a grant that will cover your cost at the community college & books. Don't worry about your average grades in high school that others say will keep you from college because you will graduate with an associate degree with high distinction & belong to Phi Thetta Kappa which will lead to open doors at the universitys. Get involved early on in Uprimise & Fastweb it won't cost you anything & it will help you.

The best thing about community college was the small scale classes which privide time with instructors.

The most frustrating thing about community college was the time slots for classes. For every class there should be a morning, afternoon & evening class. This would help those working while going to school.

Jeffrey

I am glad that I have the opportunitiy to write this essay because often I do wish that I could transport myself four years back and do college all over again. I wish that I could tell myself what to do and what not to do based off my experiences through my college career. I would tell myself that no matter how easy a class seems to be you need to work hard and get an A. It seems to me that I have done very well in my hard classes and not so well in my easy classes. This is because the easy classes were not a challenge or I believed that the test would not take much studying. However, this has hurt my GPA because I did not take the easy classes seriuosly. I would also tell myself to be well organized and do homework assignments at least three days before they are due. I found that if you wait until the night before to do the assingment, it may take longer than expected and then you have to pull an all nighter. The all nighers are usually not necessary because the assignment could have already been done.

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.