Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

Jefffrey

Work hard and don't give up on yourself. Apply to schools early and work on getting as many scholarships as you can because paying for college isn't easy. Don't waste time doing nothing when you know that you should be doing homework. Don't join every club just because other people are. Join clubs that make you happy and will benefit you. Take up leadership opportunities because they'll teach you how to prioritize and organize your schedule. It's ten times better to be a student than to be an athlete. An athlete's career ends when they are no longer useful. With a good education and good schools, you can get a job that will ensure your future worthiness. Don't let your future control what you do now either. Don't try and predict what is going to happen in the future. Instead, just know what you want and pursue it to the end. Finally, do not let your mistakes in the past haunt you. Live your life without chaining your mind and heart to things that will hold you back. Stay free and dedicated to only yourself until you are ready.

When the water from the snow freezes at night, the ice can be annoying. Walking in the night makes it hard to tell what parts of the ground are frozen and which parts are not. Although, it is fun watching people waddle on the ice, trying not to embarass themselves by falling. The only real problem with ice is that you have to take your time and move cautiously and that can make it hard to get to class on time if there is ice in the morning.

Overcrowded classes aren't a problem here but sometimes there are classes that can't take anymore students. If you aren't on the honors program or an athlete, you have to really persist in order to get the classes you want and the schedule you desire.

Julia

The ability to go back in time and talk to myself would be one of the best things that could happen to me. If I was able to do so, I would start by telling myself that it is going to be a big change, even if you're only two hours away. I would then tell myself to make sure that I put myself out there, and make new friends, because they are what will keep you sane in college. Without them, college is a lonely place where all you do is work. I would then tell myself the obvious, go to class. But the obvious is not always followed, and tends to get a lot of people into trouble (I have first hand experience). Make sure you eat properly is another. Do not pig out on junk food or cheeseburgers all the time, it will slow you down and make it almost impossible to stay alert in class. Most importantly though, I would tell myself to have fun, and not take everything too seriously; college is supposed to be a time of your life where you have a blast and grow into yourslef. Make sure you have fun.

The best thing about NAU is the enviornment. It isn't like a big city, you have the forest all around you and tons of outdoor activities you can take part in. The weather is always beautiful, summer or winter. In the summer you can go hiking, and in the winter you can go snowboarding, it is an all around great place to be if you love outdoor activites.

The most frustrating thing about NAU is the seperation of the campus. The South end is far away from almost everything and very isolated. If you want to feel social and meet many new people in a very easy way, you should be on North campus, because that is where all the action takes place.

Irae

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, i would have so much more advice. First and formal, i would tell myself to make sure to sign up for scholarships way ahead of time. Also make sure you keep up with your grades. Then i would make sure that i learn better study techniques, and know how to study in a more quiet environment. Another important thing i would tell myself, is to prioritize well and have good time management. To know that school is first, and that you're going to college to better your future and to be successful.

There is no kind of person that shouldn't attend this school because like i said we are so diversed and there is so many different opprotunities for anyone, no matter what kind of personality or interest you have.

To me the best thing about my school is that it is so diversed and it is easy to get around campus. My school also provides transportation throughout campus. Buildings are very strong and beautiful. I also like that there is so much clubs and orginizations that i can be involved with. People are so friendly and you can ask anyone for help. Another thing that makes my school the best is that we are so involved with our community and everything is close to eachother and very convient.

Bailey

Everyone is from a different background, so describing them would be like describing the United States - everyone is different in their own right.

If I were to go back in time, I would tell myself to be who I really am. I hide behind a facade when in the presence of others, but everyone is different and so am I. I'm beginning to break out of my shell and be who I want to be and express my opinions more in class because I know I won't be judged by my classmates. And if they don't like me, well then that's their problem because I love who I am and that I don't need their judgements to bother me. I would also tell myself to relax and have fun - school isn't all about studying all the time. Make friends and go have fun in your free time.

I brag about how many snow days I get compared to how many days of heat they have to suffer in in Arizona. This semester, I've already had 2.5 snow days while they get drenched with rain and still have to go to class while I can sit cozy in my dorm, watching the snow fall.

Brianna

A small scale liberal school that deals well with both the Arts and the Sciences.

Go slow, ignore the counselors, and reach out to people. Don't be afraid to speak your mind, and don't let anyone talk down to you. Get more scholarships, you'll need them. Most importantly, get out more!

The administrators, not teachers, are very good at running you around in circles without ever resolving your problem, the only way to get help is to go straight to a manager.

Jennilynn

I came from a lower class family that lived on the southeast side of Chicago. I was an excellent student until I developed panic disorder. I was fearful of having a panic attack at school and that lead to my lack of my attendance . I didn't understand my condition and my family didn't have money for therapy . Ultimately, fear kept me from persuing my dream of becoming the first female in my family to receive a bachelor's degree. If I could go back, I would give myself the encouragement that I needed. I'd give a clear explaination of what panic disorder is and why it shouldn't push me off track. I'd explain the importance of having a college "career" and how it would give me the confidence that I needed in life. I'd tell myself that attending college means more than having a degree in hand. It's an experience that builds integrity, which is exactly what I needed to become a successful adult. Most importantly, I'd tell myself that I'd never get ahead if I let fear make my choices.

Paige

Nestled within thousands of oaks and pines and south of the San Francisco Peaks, Northern Arizona University houses thousands of spirited students and encourages the educational endeavors of its many residents.

With both the opportunity to speak with my high-school self and the knowledge that I have acquired during my freshman year of post-secondary education, I would give myself several pieces of advice regarding the transition into college life. The first piece of advice regards the importance of scholarships and financial aid. Of all the different extra-curricular activities available, applying for scholarships is one of which I would advise my na?ve self to participate. Secondly, as I now know, living five hundred miles away from the individuals I care most about is a difficult aspect of college life. I would advise my high-school self to try not to worry about the separation. Even though all of those individuals are miles away, they will always remain close at heart. The final piece of advice I would give myself is to release any inhibitions and enjoy the time that I have at hand. A potpourri of people diversifies any college campus. So far I have met a variety of individuals. I would advise myself to be comfortable with my personality and semblance and find the friends who will enjoy me for exactly what I am.

The worst aspect of Northern Arizona University is the food. Dining Services provides a regimented menu every week and it rarely changes. The usual items are prepared daily and only occasionally is an appealing meal prepared. Also, sometimes the food does not seem fresh and it is not always warm. I wish that I could prepare my own meals, especially since what I have to eat is not worth the money paid in advance for it.

Kyndra

Our school is best known for being close to the Snowbowl and getting snow days. Many people come to NAU to be closer to the snowbowl so that they can skii and/or snowboard as much as they can.

As a high school senior, I wish someone would have told me to visit as many college campuses as I could and then decided which one I would enjoy and succeed at. I would give myself advice on roommates and how it isn't the wisest decision to room with your best friend. I would tell myself to put myself out there and to try to make as many new friends as possible and to get involved with clubs on campus as well as getting to know the city in which my school is located. I would tell myself that college is completely different from high school and that you have to actually read your textbooks and study everyday to get good grades and succeed in your class. Also, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships and to do anything I can to save money and not get into total debt from school.

A student who enjoys the cold weather, snow, and likes to skii and/or snowboard would fit right in at this school. Also, a student who is looking for a small town feeling and likes the smaller classes would love Northern Arizona University.

Kelsey

My classmates are very intelligent students who are very active in learning about their surroundings and busy planning for their future careers.

College has an outlook to be a great time, but it really takes a lot of dedication and time. It's not all about parties and fun. It's about changing the rest of your life with the start of an education. Concentration is key. I would tell myself to look more into schools that would fit my major and look good when graduation hits. I would pick a school that will fit my personality and style. I would tell myself to make a lot of friends and not to stick with the ones I have already. Life moves on, so don't regret anything. College is a whole new experience and make the best of it. You should pace yourself well and focus on everything. I would join clubs and stay active. College is a huge part of life, and just enjoy every part of it.

The snow days are the best part about the school!

Sara

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior the message would be simple, cherish your time. I found the most difficult thing about college and transitioning was time management. Suddenly I had extra time between classes, I could stay out as late as I wanted and I had no parents to tell me what to do. The problem was my workload increased dramatically. I would tell myself that no matter how smart I think I am in high school, college changes all of that. Nothing in college is unnecessary, if a professor wants you to read a chapter, you better read that chapter. If you don?t study for quizzes like they are test, you will fail. Also I would make sure as a senior I would know to spend more time with friends and family. I would want my younger self to spend most afternoons with friends that choose to go to school very far away and to realize how much my family does for my. Although staying in touch with the Internet is easy, once you leave the people you care about, you miss them terribly.

The worst thing about Northern Arizona is the lack of food. No location is open 24 hours and most of the food stations are in two opposite sides of campus. There needs to be an improvement in food choices and hours.

The most frustrating thing about Northern Arizona is the amount of things to do around. Every so often the school brings good events to campus, but Flagstaff is a small town so it can get boring. It also takes 2 and half hours to get to Phoenix if you want to get to a major mall, airport or concert etc.

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.