Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

jason

If i could go back in time and talk to my self when i was a senior in highshcool, i would first tell myself to leave those fast girls alone, and to not let what they did to my self esteem happen. I would then tell myself to be more serious about my education. Having a focused goal on the future was far from my mentality back then. I would walk right up to the younger me and tell myself everything that happened after the day i made that decision NOT to march in my cap and gown on graduation day. Back then i was making pretty good money in the restaurant industry. Later on, the jobs got more and more scarce. I believed that i had all the education i needed. Until i found my calling in martial arts & sciences. Now that i have reached a certain level of awareness in the arts, i felt that it was time to give back what i learned in my travels. Unlike graduation day, now that i am ready to teach, no one trusts my ability because of no degrees or formal education. It's time to correct those mistakes.

Take the time to figure out what you are truly passionate about. Don't worry about what other people think you should do. Make a plan that will allow you to follow your dreams without getting caught up in the finances. Save over the summer so you have to work less during the school year and can participate in school and social activities. Be sure to live your college life, or by the time you get around to it, it will be to late. You will only be young once, so use hat time to become the person you want to be. Live each day with happiness in your heart and a dream in your head.

Nichole

I would say listen to all the adults around you, college is important. Once you get married, have a baby and realize you should have went to college it's going to be a lot harder to get in. Your not going to have the money to pay tuition and its not your mom's or your nana's resposibility to help pay. When you deside to go back to school you are going to have to consider your daughter and your husband's schedule before you can jump right into class. Five years after high school your only regret will be not attending college. So, do your homework, take notes, dont skip class one day you will look back and say "why ?" Life is hard, and the picture you have in your head is no where close to how your life will turn out. You dont have forever to go to school if you choose, you are on borrowed time and in 2009 your life will be torn apart and you will question who you are, who you want to be and what you would do different. Go to college you'll have no regrets.

Alisha

I know you are iching to go off and be a big university student, but please take your time and don't rush yourself. The university will still be there. In the mean time, find yourself at GCC and see what you like and don't like career wise. That way, your liberal studies will be out of the way and you can focus on core classes. Save as much money as you can because once your scholarship money runs out, its gone and the brutal process of finding money starts all over again. Time management is so important so that you do not burn yourself out before you are even 21. I know the boring assigments are uneventful but make sure you sit down and finish them promptly and sufficantly to earn better grades. Otherwise, you will relive freshman englsih for the rest of your life. Try to get involved more with something outside of home and work: a new hobby would be a perfect start. If you find a professor challanging, do not hesitate to walk up and state concerns otherwise the learning experience will be tough and exhausting. Most of all, BE HAPPY! IT'S COLLEGE!!

No one who does not like the cold, snowy wet weather should attend this school. Also, if the major one prefers is not here, then do not come. It is a small town so for those who prefer big city life, this is not the college for you.

Shelby

If I could go back in time to give myself advice for the transition into college life I would not want me to know I was from the future, instead I would want to be my best friend, since friends are hard to find. I would first tell myself to give more effort towards being able to support myself financially, scholarship-wise. I would tell myself to focus more on my future, college, rather than honors classes that were useless to me. I would also tell myself to let myself go, socially. The transition into college has taught me that to not worry about what others think, to just have fun, and be friendly. I believe high-school is a hard place to make friends and I would tell myself to not stress out about what other people think because college isn?t the same. The last thing I would tell myself is not to have no worries, because it?s only the beginning of something great.

Holly

Our school is definatly best known for the amount of snow in Arizona it gets along with Snowbowl that is 15 minutes away. It also has a slight representation of being a "hippie" town.

I would give myself the encouragement that it's not going to be scary like all the high school teachers make it out to be. College teachers are much more relaxed about things and there is little to no "busy work" which means we are constantly learning something and we all genuinely want to be there, making the experience that much better. I would probably tell myself to meet and continuously make plans with new friends and possibly take up a sport. I would advise myself to never take an 8am class, especially one that is 75 minutes long. I would convince myself that I would still be friends with my old friends because real friends keep in touch multiple times throughout the week. It is also a test to see who among my old friends is willing to keep in contact, but to not worry because I only want those friends who care about me anyways. :)

I wish I had known to buy my textbooks online and not the campus bookstore. I also wish I had known not to take any classes earlier than 9am, because it seems like it's a reasonable time compared to high school that starts at 7am but it is hard to wake up and be awake for class.

Nathan

I have many class mate, and many that I dont even talk to. Some of my old grade school friends have enrolled in Northern Arizona University and taking some classes with me. This is the only time I talk to any classmates.

Flagstaff is much like my hometown. There are four seasons and can drive in either direction and run into any different landscape from desert to ski resort. Flagstaff is only two hours from my home town therefore many friends from school would follow making my college experience the best that it can be.

If i were able to go back in time to talk to my self, my first stop would be wall mart to buy a descise. I would not want my self to know that I was myself. I would start off by telling myself that Northern Arizona University is the greatest university and is worth four years of ones life to be blessed with an eduacation. Since I know how much I love hunting and other outdoor adventures, I would bring pictures of all the wild adventures that are available. I would tell myself not to stress about anything just have faith in god and a good work ethic and you will find ways to put yourself through college. While I was in the past I would visit my cousin and very best friend to spend some time with him. I would tell him how much I love him like I never got to do. I would end my visit by telling my self good luck young man.

Stacie

They're friendly and willing to form study groups.

They're friendly and willing to form study groups.

I would tell myself that college is a totally new experience. It's the first time you're away from home and it's ok to have fun but don't forget that you're here for school. Take your classes seriously and take advantage of all the resources the university has to offer. The library is a great place to study. Apply for scholarships, college is very expensive. Don't stress the parents out with college expenses. Get a job as soon as you can before all of them are gone. Being broke sucks. Rent your textbooks (It's called Chegg...look it up)! Get involved in extra-curricular activities, you meet new people that way. Choose your friends wisely, they'll be your support when you're under stress. Be careful with college guys at parties, you thought highschool was bad...just wait. Freshmen boys are the worst. Rule number 1: "Come as a group, leave as a group." Keep in touch with your highschool friends. Hearing from them every once in a while will be good for you. Phone home as much as you can, your family will miss you. Finally, don't forget who you are.

People who are open-minded and pretty laid back.

The transition from dependent high school to college student is difficult, but not the hardest situation. If I could go back in time as a high school senior, I would suggest to myself to take AP classes, be open to people, and be prepared for class. Senior year is supposed to prepare you for college, meaning that you should take those classes that prepare you for challenge. Strenuous AP courses might not earn you the GPA that you want, but will definitely benefit you when you are in college. Strive for greatness in high school and that will help you achieve success in college. College is about interacting with new people and meeting new faces. One must widen their comfort zone and make the attempt to introduce them to a new acquaintance. If you are able to balance your social life with your academics then you are bound for success. Make friends with the classmates in your class and form study groups to test your knowledge. In order to be academically successful, one must be prepared for those college classes. Take the time each night to review and the text and ask questions to inform the professor you are listening.

Hearing the shouring, pounding, and slamming doors two in the morning every weekend as under age college students who are seeking some type of joy go out partying and come back wasted and drunk because they don't know what else to do with their pointless and unsatisfying life.

Gazing upon the elegant snowy white peaks every brisk morning as your face is being tingled ever so sweetly by the fresh cool breeze is like a blessing sent down from the loving Father up above.

Tai

NAU offers a genuine meeting between a large university atmosphere while still maintaining a personalized, small-town experience that, depending on personal preference, can be both academically advantageous as well as a healthy personnel environment.

If I were able to go back in time to my senior year in high school I could fill a book on the application, transition and general college experience. I?d remind myself the importance of keeping accurate records of everything that, no matter how slim the chances that could make the arduous process that much easier. Test scores, essays, academic awards, letters of recommendation, school contact information; all of these things are both tedious and essential to the process. So rather than going through the wildly frustrating task of finding them later, keep them all as they come , make copies and lock them away; in a few months you?ll thank yourself. But perhaps most important, is achieving and maintaining personnel motivation. At this point in our lives, hands are being let go and suddenly we find ourselves in more control of our futures than ever before, and so comes the responsibility. If you don?t go out of your way to make the necessary happen, you can be guaranteed that no one is going to do it for you, and that goes for more than just school but remains applicable with every step of independence gained.

With a campus this size, it would have been nice to know exactly where certain resources were located and the easiest ways to get there, especially considering that the NAU campus is very much geered toward foot traffic (only two roads run through campus) rather than having students drive. Generally speaking most of these resources are located onthe North Campus, and the Cline Library is basically dead center of North Campus and offers a great place to orient yourself on campus.

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.