Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

Brandon

The biggest advice that I could give to my high school senior self is: buckle up. I went straight from graduating young to college life at the age of 17. The transition was a huge growing point in my life and I matured more in my first year of college than I had in most of my life. I would also advise myself to keep in contact with as many friends from high-school as I can. This advice would not come from lack of friendships at college, because I have found many, but because nothing is more relaxing after finals week than sitting around with old friends and remembering good times. These friends and family make the college experience not only bearable, but enjoyable. They inspire the confidence necessary to rise to the challenge. Confidence plays a big part of college life, I would tell myself, so always keep your head held up, know that tomorrow will come whether you get an A or a B on the next test, and the snow is always deeper than it seems.

There are two things that I would have liked to know before I came to NAU. The first one is to bring a fan, Flagstaff is an environment that doesn't need air conditioning but there can be some days where it gets hot! Secondly, I would have liked to know the importance of introducing myself and getting to know my instructors as early as possible. My instructors are knowledgeable and have had prior experience in the fields that I plan on pursuing. Their advice is invaluable during school and their recommendation will be invaluable after school.

I really do not believe that there is any type of person that shouldn't come to NAU. Perhaps a person that abhors the cold, or that prefers a big city. Flagstaff is not a small town, but it very much has a small town feel and a community-driven environment. Otherwise, Flagstaff has an extremely diverse population that does not place judgement on one another; anyone should feel welcome.

I think the biggest advice that I would give to parents and students trying to find the right college is to pick a school that you feel at home at. At NAU, I feel very much at home, and I love spending my time here. To make the most out of your college experience, I would suggest just being involved. Join clubs, a sorority or fraternity, and study groups. These are great ways to meet new friends and will also help you find what your niche is.

I brag most about the weather. I grew up in Phoenix, which is extremely hot year round, and in Flagstaff the weather always seems to be perfect, whether it's raining, snowing, or sunny. I also like studying outside from time to time, just because it's usually so much nice than being in a stuffy room all day. And the elevation and fresh air is also a plus.

I wish I had known to bring a bike! Although I had heard a little bit about transportation on this campus, I didn't know exactly how many people relied on bikes. The campus is actually rather small and extremely bike accessible.

Torrey

I would say this school is best known for its great academic programs. They have many highly respected programs, and students who go through them are usually very successful. I would also say its known for its great location. Flagstaff is gorgeous, all four season occur, the winters are very big in flagstaff, so if you love the snow and snowboarding or skiing this is the perfect place.

Advice I would give to students is to choose the college that fits what they want to do. Not a school in a city that they like, or because its by the beach, or whatever their love for that city may be. Really focus on the school and what it has to offer you. If you just choose a school your friend is going to go or a city you like, you might get there and totally hate it. I would really encourage students to leave their home town and go out of state. It allows you to get away from your parents and learn the responsibility of living on your own, and you will meet so many new people. Check into the school programs as well so you can get involved in the school. Advice for parents I would say help your student and encourage them but do not make the decision for them. College is a wonderful experience if both of you work together to find what is best for your student, and we all know thats what a parent wants most for their son or daughter.

Students who attend this school should be really interested in their studies. They should love the outdoors, because flagstaff is a very small town with not alot of activities to do unless you like the outdoors than there is a lot of fun things you can do. THe campus is very social, events going on all the time, they want to make sure everyone gets involved in the university. The sports are not the greastest but they are still alot of fun to go watch and support. The womens soccer games are very fun to go to.

rocio

In order to find the right college and campus for the student would be to visit the many different campuses that are out there and that the student is interested in. By visiting the many different campuses one will be able to get a feel for what the campus has to offer with its surroundings. The atmosphere and its surroundings play a big part in making the most out of the college experience. Attending college classes if the professor allows it, is also a good way to finding the right college. By sitting in a college class, it will give the sudent a feel for what the classes may be like and how big the class sizes are as well. And its also a good experience, besides the usual campus tours. In makin the most of the college experience, it is a good thing to take classes/electives that interest the student and that are outside of their major. Joining clubs is also a good thing to do, becuase besides that college experience, one will also meet new people and new friends that share the same interests. Studying abroad for a semester or year is also a good experience.

how beautiful the campus is and its surroundings. since its up in the mountains, its always lucsious green in the summer and in the winter a winter wonderland with all that snow.

the best thing about my school is how everyone is so friendly especially the staff. the proffesors really want their students to learn and do well. they will do everything in order to see you succeed. the professors really care about you and there are so many resources that are available to help you succeed as well.

Garrison

Outgoing and very friendly. Willing to help others and have study groups together quite often

Don't let your parents be too controlling about it, absorb their input and advice but when it comes time to apply and make decisions, just follow your heart and go where YOU think will be best for YOU. Have fun at college, be outgoing and meet new people, but remember, the main reason you are at college is to get a degree! Become organized and learn how to plan ahead and you will be fine. The faster you get out of your shell and meet people, the better your experience will be and you will not get as home-sick. I got slightly home-sick because I am from Hawai'i and went to school in Arizona but I learned to make friends fast, focus in the classroom and enjoy the outdoors which all led to an awesome freshman year at college and cast away and home-sickness. Goodluck with your college experience!

The school doesnt promote sports enough; there is very little school spirit at sport events.

Kelsey

My classmates are interesting, diverse, smart, and dedicated to school.

My classmates are interesting, diverse, smart, and dedicated to school.

When students are looking for the college that suits them best, they should look for schools that mesh with their own ideals. For example, if a student is a very religious, they might be more interested in a private school that is associated with their church or beliefs. By narrowing the selection through their own personal criteria, there is a greater chance that the student will feel more connected to their school, their peers, their professors, and the community around the school. Likewise, if a student wishes to become an artist, they should look at schools with a more artistic reputation, or stronger art programs, rather than one with a business/technical reputation. This also ensures being immersed in a community of like-minded students, that they will be able to relate to, and learn from. Another aspect to consider is extra-curricular activities. Many of these activities are geared to enhance the learning that goes on in the classroom, and some are as close as being within the dormitory life. These programs bring students together to have fun and learn at the same time. These are just a few ways to ensure a rewarding experience in college.

Someone who doesn't like winter, snow, or wind. Also, this school is extremely liberal, so people who are uncomfortable with liberal ideals and the like.

Hailey

My classmates are motivated to make a positive impact on the world. They use their talents both individually and collaboratively to effect change for their immediate and global communities. Students learn from each other, as much as they learn from their professors and their textbooks.

Visiting a college/university campus in person is one of the best ways to determine if it is the right fit for the student (and the family). This provides the student with the opportunity to determine if he/she likes the climate, physical topography, environment (socially, academically, and physically), services that are provided, classrooms, outdoor and indoor facilities for extracurriculars and physical activities, dining halls, residence halls, etc. of the campus. Taking tours of the campus are an excellent way to get an overall feel and to learn more about college/university offerings. Talking with students, professors, and advisors are also a great method to determine if the college/university caters to the student and meets the student's needs. My biggest piece of advice that I offer to incoming students is to become involved. The environment or degree of involvement is entirely their choice. If there is not a club or organization that suits their needs or interests, create one! Universities foster education through extracurricular activities and outside of the classroom experiences. By becoming involved, students develop friendships, make long-lasting connections, and conceive ideas that may change their futures and their lives. These are all growing opportunities.

There does seem to be a lack of school spirit. Students are excited to attend sporting events and do participate in a variety of intramurals, clubs, organizations, etc..; however, compared to larger universities, student pride seems to be diminished. It is not uncommon to see students walking on campus with rival university clothing. Although, many activities have started to be implemented to increase student support and exuberance for their school. It may just take time to become more widespread.

Melanie

Compromise with your parents on choices and consider cost. Don't base your decision on a campus tour.

Someone who is not quite sure what they want to pursue career-wise. Someone who is very environmentally driven, and has a more liberal mindset would thrive at this campus. Overall it's a small campus, so students who like a more hometown feel would also enjoy it.

I would have liked to know more about the professors on campus and how the classes are ran. It would have been nice to know an upper-classman that was already a student there so I could hear their thoughts. Campus tours give you a very skewed view of the school, whereas an actual student that wasn't there to give tours could have given me a more accurate representation.

Kiley

As I have grown up, I have always been told that I will go ?find myself? in my perfect college. However, I have discovered that, while in my first year of college, the most important rule of searching for the perfect college is this: you do not go to ?find? yourself; you go to ?create? yourself. When searching for your perfect school, take into interest the aspects that will create you, not simply let you loose to find yourself. College is an intimidating new chapter. But if you take the appropriate steps to get into a college that will build you, construct you, and erect the person you want to be, college will not simply be another chapter, it will be a new foundation to whatever you want to be. The reason why I chose my college and why I have been able to thrive so successfully is because of the enriching environment I knew this college could provide for me. The campus is my second home, the teachers have become my mentors, and my grades reflect my happiness and satisfaction in my work. I love my college choice because it has helped me create who I am today.

Because Northern Arizona University is a relatively small school, students who are simply looking for a "good time" should not attend. Flagstaff is very small and may not match up to the "big college" standards. NAU does not have large classes to hide in, a large campus to get lost in, or a large student population to become "part of the masses." The weather also varies between somewhat warm weather and frigid cold weather. Many students love these aspects, like myself; however, students who are looking for big party schools should not attend.

I live two and a half hours away from NAU and I did not realize going up that I could come home whenever I chose. There were several weekends, especially on the holidays, when most of campus was gone. It would have helped my fear of leaving my original home! I also did not realize how well-developed the school is in tutoring, providing resources, and opening doors of opportunity for all aspects of a students life. I brought too much extra food, extra supplies, and extra "worry" that I would not be as satisified as I am now.

Margeaux

Probably NAU is known for great education at a reasonable price. Also, it is the only Arizona university that is located in a city with changing climate so it gets a lot of attention from people trying to escape the heat .

Honestly, the best part about going to college is that it is really a place where you get to explore a new life, independence, and responsibility. Pick a place that you think that you will be able to accomplish those tasks among your own goals. Networking and making friends is going to be about the same everywhere. College is a very open minded place and finding a group of great people to hang out with is easier than you would think. Keep in mind whether you want to go far away or stay close to home and also what the bet fit for your major is.

I usually tend to talk about how much fun I have and the people I have met. Everyone is really positive around here and I have met great friends and a great boyfriend!

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.