Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

Alyssa

One thing that is unique about NAU is that there are two cemeteries around the campus. Some people think it is a little creepy that there are cemeteries in the window view but it adds more of a interesting feel to the school and the town.

If I could go back to tell myself about college that would be great! I would first start off by saying that college is a big change from high school not only the classes but the social life. The second thing I would tell myself is in college you have to depend more on yourself than on someone else. The last thing I would tell myself is that yes school work is important but make sure you study hard and make an effort to meet new people.

The best thing about NAU is that it isn't very big. Also living in Phoenix all my life it is nice to come to a school that has a bit of a climate change. I also like how the campus is not to big and is easy to find your classes.

Trevor

There is an abundant amount of advice I would give myself as a senior in high school if I could go back in time. Some of the most imperative topics of advice would include scholarships, financial aid, and community involvement. As a senior in high school I could not find motivation to sit down at the table and write/fill out scholarship applications. As a result, I now am beginning to increase my student debt. As a senior I wish I could have forseen that scholarship money and financial aid are a huge factor in paying for college, one piece of advice I would give to myself. The other piece of advice is community involvement. As a freshman in college, I now realize the importance of a resume and how it can open up opportunities based upon the information in the resume. I know now that the best way to promote myself as an individual is to give back to my community in any way possible, a vital piece of information that can be put into a resume. So if I could go back in time, I would tell myself to wake up and stop wasting essestial time.

NAU is a wonderful school that is really open to any kind of student. The main features that might change a person's mind about NAU is the weather in the Winter; whereas opposed to the weather in the Spring and Summer time. Another key disadvantage is the distance away from home. On average, most students that are in attendance here at this college are from a different city, even state. This causes long trips home for the holidays, etc. Other than that there is nothing really in-significant in this beautiful city of Flagstaff.

There are not many disadvanatges at NAU, but there are a few things that I wish NAU did not consist of. The worst thing that I can elaborate on as being bad at NAU would be the altitude. It is real hard to adapt to the higher altitude especially when a person is originally from a valley or desert. Even then, it doesn't take long to adapt to, you just run out of breath a little faster and must make sure to drink lots of water, because if you don't then deyhrdration is most likely to occur.

Mark

If I could go back in time to when I was a know it all high school senior I would take myself by the ear and sit myself down . I would say, I want you to listen to what I have to say because I am your future speaking. First, I want you to understand that I knoe you want to enjoy your last year in High School, but there is so very much more ahead of you if you can just open your eye's and your heart. I want you to go and speak to your senior councilor about any scholarship's that you can apply for now and in the future. I also want you to understand that your parent's are on your side. It may feel form time to time that your parent's are out to get you and to spoil your fun, but all they want for you is to br the best, and help you get to where you want to go. I really hope you ear begins to feel better, but each time you touch your ears ,remember what I just told you. Now go out ther and change the world.

If you are looking for a PAC 10 type school where the football team is the biggest thing going ,than this is not the school for you.

If you are looking for a school that is large enought to get your degree,but small enought to enjoy that "in your backyard" feeling than NAU is the correct school for you. From the first day the staff here has me me feel as if I have been here for years and that I'm one of their best friends.

Jesenia

My classmates are all different, but that doesn't stop them from working together in having a good learning experience with no problems of disruption in the class.

Knowing about the college life and transitions, I would advise myself to be more involved at school. That I should join more clubs to become a good leader because I am going to be on my own and there will be no one else to help. It would be good help to get to know more people, it would help me get comfortable talking to strangers. Another thing I would advise myself is to learn how to take really good notes for the lecture classes I would be having in college and to write fast and neat so you can understand it when studying for exams. I think that one of the most important things that I can improve is to learn from the mistakes that I made in my early years of high school so that I would be better prepared for college. Achieving greater results in my academic as well as extracurricular endeavors is something that would make me more well-rounded.

When I talk to my friends about school, i brag about the campus. I tell them about the buildings where my classes are and how wonderful it is walking to every class or riding the bus. Also i talk about the teachers and how they teach diffrentlly than in the high school. I also tell them how easy it is to get distracted, but just have to work hard to stay on track and get all work done.

Amy

In the past year or so, I have grown up and learned a lot. I went on exchange to a new world and culture and dove into a new lifestyle that forced me to let go of the immature high school notions I once saw as "real life." If I were able to go back and give myself advice, it would be to not worry about what others thought and focus on my dreams and my goals. I would remind myself not to sweat the small stuff, and make every moment worth while and worth looking back on. In my honest opinion I woulnd't change a thing about my recent experiences, but the years I spent in high school worrying about popularity and other peoples' opinions were wasted . I could have been focused on my goals and personal achievment. So I guess the main point of advice would have to be to forget what is being said about you... and focus on what you think about you personal future.

I love how NAU has such a laid back and relaxed atmosphere. I am not too keen on the big city setting that many univeristies boast about. I like the small town feel that Flagstaff offers. So far I love the people I have met here as well as the classes I have taken.

I mainly brag about the wonderful people and friends I have met here. These are people that I will never forget and keep with me throughout my life.

Rebecca

Friendly, cooperative, and mostly down to earth

Friendly, cooperative, and mostly down to earth

Initially upon reading this I thought I would advise myself on the very difficult transition from a small town to a big university far away from home as it was a rather strenous and emotionally draining year for me which resulted in high levels of stress and anxiety. However, upon reflection I realize I would not be the person I am today without having had to learn how to be independent and gaining the knowledge of knowing I can survive on my own. Therefore I think the biggest piece of advice I could offer myself would be not to define who I am based upon a letter grade. I have always been very driven academically running from a fear of failure. This only intensified in college again resutling in high stress and anxiety issues. I would tell myself to slow down, absorb my surroundings and environment and most importantly to enjoy the true process of living and learning. Through several years and a number of health issues I have finally learned it is the process that is important, not the end result and imperfection is actually really ok.

The small class sizes, available and very friendly professors, and the on campus religious community.

My classmates are very diverse; if you don't like people who are different than you, this isn't the right school for you.

Don't sweat the small stuff. A "B" is still passing and will still get you your degree. Just remember to pay attention and prioritse wisely.

People who either not firm in what they believe or are not willing to see other options.

My school is best known for being an outdoorsy environment with opprotunities to go skiing/snowboarding, hiking, mountain biking, camping, and many other outdoor activities. Northern Arizona University is also well known for their forestry, park & recreational, and construction programs.

I would not go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior. I believe I was mentally prepared for the college experience, and anything that I did learn in the first year was an experience that I was meant to undertake. It is my opinion that everyone should take risks and experience life for themselves. If I had told myself exactly what to be prepared for, I do not think I would have learned as much as I did from the experience. I also do not think I would have grown as much as a human being. Human beings learn from trial and error, and without these failures, we do not grow or become stronger individuals. I believe it is from my many experiences living overseas and having to move frequently with my father in the military that I was able to grow and become the strong individual I am today. This is why I think I was more prepared for the college experience and for the possible failures that I had to overcome during that first year. Today, I sit patiently with a 3.9 waiting for many other challenges to come my way.

I wish I had known that many students at this university are not hard working and driven. I also wish I had known that this school was very liberal and not very open minded to those who do not share the same political view.

shelby

Northern Arizona University is none for its friendly environment and arts & Letters College. It's very green friendly and it's also known for the weather in the area which is snowy almost half the year around.

I would suggest to be prepaird it's not an easy transaction expescially if you lived in a small town like i did your whole life. but I would also say go out and have fun and enjoy it because you'll never get this experience again so don't let it slip away just enjoy what you are doing and keep focus on your studies and you'll do fine!

It has to be that there is snow on the ground from the October to almost may, other then that I adore my school and would never want to attend anywhere else.

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.