Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

Kirsten

Knowing the shy, reserved me of my high school days, I think the best advice I could give myself is to never be afraid to branch out and allow yourself to open up and allow yourself to enjoy the opportunities as they come. Allow yourself open up enough to be social to help you enjoy the college experience without allowing it to dominate your life. Outside of being social, and outside of being academic, keep contributing and applying yourself with new ideas or ways that could later benefit you in the long run degree or careerwise. Experimenting with ideas and paths is key to coming up with something original and fresh that may move you forward and beyond your classmates.

the school's resources for students. the computer labs, tutoring, library, and the student body make it very easy to be a successful student at NAU

Anna

I would encourage high school students to take as great a variety of classes as they can. Learn about music, art, and literature, as well as science, math, and government. Learn with deep understanding, and do not just memorize for the test. Once in college, the requirements to focus on one or two areas increases and there might not be an opportunity until much later, for them to explore and broaden their interests. I believe that knowledge grows with each new bit of information learned and processed, and shapes who we are. I believe the goal of education is to teach students to think and how to think critically. It is incumbent upon the student, however, to be an active participant in this process. Education should open students' eyes to the world, inviting them into an experiential process of discovery - each step serving as a building block to the next - that will continue for a lifetime. High school is a perfect time to open those doors to new interests and begin really establishing a web of knowledge. Make high school a true learning experience and not simply a pre-employment technical school.

I lived in Flagstaff all my life, so the weather was not a surprise; for those not familiar: pack a coat. Regarding school, I wish I had been more knowledgeable about the library and outside resources which would enhance my understanding in my major study area. This was before internet, when the library was an important tool, but I have had library service introductions in other schools, even in the days of online databases, and have found them most valuable. I believe some information of this sort should be provided as part of an enrollment packet.

It would be difficult to find a school better-located for an academic major in anthropology. The rich Native American history in the area is accessible to the campus for archaeological digs; the area is a virtual laboratory for pursuing linguistics studies and social anthropology research; outside resources such as the Museum of Northern Arizona, the Heard Museum in nearby Phoenix, and the University of Arizona in Tucson augment any anthropological study. Student diversity at NAU provided wonderful cultural growth and the Flagstaff area also offers some of the best hiking - think Grand Canyon - and mountain biking in the country.

Autumn

It's a smaller campus, perfect size in my opinion. The classes are smaller. It's super easy to make friends here but not be surrounded by the same people all the time.

Pace yourself. You tend to put a lot of emphasis on "getting ahead" in both school and activities. School comes first and friends shouldn't interfere with that. That said, make sure you know what you're getting into before you jump in feet first.

I have experienced trouble with financial aid. They misundertsand a lot of what the student says and do what is best for the university, not the student. I have lost over 12,000 worth of financial aid and may not be able to stay enrolled next semester. The only other option is to gain scholarships or take out private loans.

They are all very nice and accepting of where you come from and where you've been. There is not one person on campus who will not say hi to you and if you look confused or are in need of help they are very helpful. You form a lot of friendships while your here especially with people in your degree program and with those who are not in them. You'd definetly love it here especially when it snows.

You may think college is all fun and games but its not only that, it's an experience that a small percentage don't get to experience. Right now, as high school students are getting ready to graduate and head into the world and go to college to prepare for the careers they have chosen, they wonder who they're gonna meet, who they will find from their life in their hometown at the same school as them. The transition is very easy here, everyone helps you from the faculty to the student body. Upperclassmen don't just look at you and laugh, they know that they were once in your shoes and they don't want you to feel like you don't belong. I've grown up here and not only do I see some people from high school, I see a variety of people, they not only share their life story with you but you find yourself sharing yours as well. Here at NAU it's everything you would want in a college. It's a great school and I don't regret coming here to this school.

What i consider the best thing about this school is that you would never get bored. There is so much to do here, you have hiking, bike riding, horse riding, you have the creek and Sedona just an hour away from Flagstaff. It's a growing city and you have a diverse group of people, you'll never feel left out. The programs they have are wonderful and we have an amzing basketball team, football team, ROTC(Army, Air Force), Rugby, Intramurals, snow, atv activities like 20 minutes away. We have everything!

Suzanne

NAU is a laidback school that is serious about education while living in a adventurous outdoor community.

Understand all the financial aid opportunities available. By knowing what aid you qualify for you can reduce your expenses significantly.

The person who should attend this school is open minded, friendly, and enjoys a smaller, more personal approach to education. NAU provides a quality education on a smaller campus that is easy to get to know. Flagstaff is a fun town with plenty of opportunities for a variety of interests, from hiking and skiing to a lively nightlife.

Josephine

Take your classes seriously and read what they assign because it is tough when you get behind. Don't let your social life take over your focus and don't drink too much. Get more sleep than you think you will need, go to bed early and wake up early you can get more accomplished that way. Make a to-do list every day, it will help you more than you could ever imagine.

I wish I had known the amount of work and time it really takes for each class, it is a lot more than would be expected.

Sometimes professors are not the best in the lower level classes, it is frustrating but it gets better the higher level classes you take. The professors in the 300 level classes are amazing at what they do.

Kate

My classmates are laid-back and, usually, serious about their education.

My classmates are laid-back and, usually, serious about their education.

This school generally has small classes with accessible professors. I chose this school mainly because of the location (not in the desert) and because of the small classes. The other schools I considered were known for their huge lecture halls.

I would tell myself not to worry about the future. I would remind myself that I have moved several times and that I have always been able to fit in and make new friends without difficulty; therefore, college will be no different. I would tell myself to buy my textbooks from somewhere other than the campus bookstore. I would also warn myself about grammatival errors and about the importance of proof-reading my essays before submitting them. Finally, I would tell myself to relax and smile because I was going to be fine.

Lindsey

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would recommend becoming very familiar with an academic advisor early on because there is nothing like being an upperclassmen and feeling lost because you didn't take advising seriously. I would tell myself that you only get one opportunity to take a test, so don't blow off studying. Remember, there is the pain of discipline now or the pain of regret later! Get involved in school any way you can! Join a club or Greek life, play intramural sports or even join the robotics team! Just do SOMETHING! Go to your professor's office hours even if it is just to introduce yourself. Trust me, having your professor know your name is a good thing! I would also tell myself to enjoy dorm life! It is a crazy, fun environment and a place where you can meet a bunch of great new people! Finally, I would let myself know that the "freshman 15" really can happen if you're not careful!

The cold because I'm from Phoenix, AZ and still not used to the snow!

I wish I had more academic advising. (I think this would be applied to any school)

I would tell myself many things. The first thing I would tell myself is do not room with your best friend from high school your freshman year in the dorms. I believe I missed out on a lot by already knowing my roommate. Another thing I would tell myself is to not get carried away with the drinking. Living in the freshman dorms I saw a lot of people get taken away on stretchers and driven away in ambulances. It was a real eye opener for me and made me realize how precious life is. The last thing I would say to myself is to make the most of it. Have as much fun as you can and meet as many people as you can. You only go to college once and you don't want to regret not doing something or missing out on something exciting.

The worst thing I consider about my school is the parking services. They ticket you for anything and the ticket is usually very expensive and they usually don't give you a warning ticket if it is your first offense.

The most frustrating thing about my school is having a teacher that does not check their email. If you are a teacher I would expect you to check your email on a regular basis so none of your students are falling behind.

Sara

This answer may not be exactly what was looked for, but if I had the opportunity to go back in time to give myself advice about college and what I know now, I am not sureI would take it. Of course I would want to warn myself about those difficult courses like Organic Chemistry and that it is crucial for one to be self motivated, but at the same time I would want to be given the chance to learn on my own. As a senior I was excited about graduating and going further with my education. It?s the anticipation of not know what?s going to come next that makes college so intriguing. I mean yes I was prepared academically thanks to my high school faculty and teachers, but as for the rest of it I had no idea. I was so unsure if I would do well, or if I would even like it. Without any preparation in that field I discovered on my own that I do love this school and it?s the feeling of self accomplishment that keeps me going. The choice I made to attend Northern Arizona University was the right one.

Those that do not want to succeed academically. It is such a waste of money when students attend this school and never go to class or fail out.

I talk mostly about its location in Flagstaff, Arizona. What a beautiful place, there is always a new type of scenary waiting to be seen. The size of the school is also a major thing. This school is just the right size, to be able to become familiar with your professors.

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.