Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

There is a broad range of backgrounds and attitudes.

There is a broad range of backgrounds and attitudes.

People always told you that college would be the best time in your life, and it is. Make sure you put the book down sometimes and set aside part of your week to remeber your duties to your friends. They may be strudggling more than you know. The new friends that you make in your classes will be your friends for life and they are just as important as the ones that followed you to college. Classes are the path to finishing your college journey, but don't forget to look around and enjoy what's around you: a great campus, a great town and great people. And one more thing, always do what your triathlon coach tells you.

People who like the outdoors.

Nathan

What's unique is the campus is small. The students feel more connected to the school

I would tell myself to manage my time better. and to stay focus through the whole school year.

Teryn

Being in a beautiful location up in the mountains but with very unpredictable weather.

RELAX. You have nothing to worry about because your classes in college are fun and, although they are demanding, are worth it. your GPA will be better than you've ever seen. Don't party too hard but be outgoing and talk to people so that you can make new friends. Don't let other people tell you what to feel about others. Let your own thoughts and emotions guide you to the right choice. Don't let yourself be seduced too easily by dorky, cute guys. They are usually not worth it. Just have fun and don't get stressed out.

This school can fit any type of person so I would not tell anyone not to attend

Cydney

its size. its location in the mountians and the scenery of the campus. the business department told me that they took a number of students to have lunch with warren buffet.

Calm down. No matter what you chose you'll be happy. You can find your niche anywhere. Even if you chose wrong you can always switch and try again. When you get to school don't be afraid to be outgoing. Talk to people, they'll talk back. Join a group or club, its how you make good friends. Don't be afraid of the academic work load. You can do it. Work out and watch what you eat otherwise you'll feel disgusting at the end of the year. Keep in touch with family and friends and those that matter most to you.

someone who has no interest in the outdoors what so ever. so one who wants to be apart of a big city.

Destiny

If I could go back to my senoir year I would change a lot of stupid decisions I have made. I have made decisions that I deeply regret. These decisions not only affected me but my family as well. My deepest regret is that my little sister looked up to me and when I slacked off last year she was dissapointed in me and I had to earn her respect back and that was the hardest thing for me. Last year I slept and watched tv instead of going to class and by the time I started going back to class it was too late to bring my grades up. The sad thing is, is that when I went back I loved the classes and the things I was learning. I wished I could go back to that first day I decided to sleep through class and get out of bed and realize that I can sleep in after I retire after a successful career. Fixing grades is hard work but after I did over the summer I promised to never let myself hurt my family or myself again. It took a lot of work but i am finally happy!

This school is filled with so many different kinds of people. Anyone would be happy to come here and feel as if they fit in the second they get here; especially if they like the small town family feel.

It is hard to be away from home. Getting homesick is hard to deal with but its manageable. It is easy to get discouraged and give up when you don't know what you want to do when you graduate but once you figure out what it is school gets a whole lot easier and you have a goal to work towards. Figure out what you like to do and find something you can see yourself doing in 20 years that will still make you happy.

Kristin

To major in a scientific field, not get involvrd with the social sciences as a major.

Jenna

NAU is at the foot of the San Francisco peaks, which has the highest elevation in Arizona. This means I can go snowboarding for a day and not miss my night classes. Everything is a lot more laid vack here. The rush and competition and stress of perfection isn't there, making perfection easier to get.

" Senior year? First semester is the time to really focus on school; second semeser you're kinda off the hook! Thats when you start shifting your focus to scholarships. If you find scholarships you are eligible for, apply for them now, because as you get higher in your education, the less there are that are open to you. Don't skip out on Ferbuary. You'll regret it... and when you finally get to school...(college) don't be afraid to just randomly start conversations with people around you. Remember, hanging out in the freshman dorm does NOT make you lame. Its where you'll meet your best friends. They're new too, remember? And they want to hang out just as bad as you do. In May of your freshman year, say this to yourself again: You're free! NOW is the time to start focusing on the now. It isn't just about the future anymore. So long as you focus and get work done when you have downtime (like when everyone else is in class and you're free), you'll be able to find funtime. Just remember to relax; enjoy this. Its only here for now."

If someone is closed-minded, NAU probably would be a bad idea. But thats true for anywhere..... Overall, I genuinely believe that so long as NAU offers your major, it is the best of the three AZ universities by far. The traffic isn't bad either. However, transportation can be bad sometimes if you have classes on both north and south campuses. But people make friends quick and meeting someon in your class willing to give you a ride isn't difficult. If you don't like music or hippies, NAU is probably a bad idea.

Brandon

The biggest advice that I could give to my high school senior self is: buckle up. I went straight from graduating young to college life at the age of 17. The transition was a huge growing point in my life and I matured more in my first year of college than I had in most of my life. I would also advise myself to keep in contact with as many friends from high-school as I can. This advice would not come from lack of friendships at college, because I have found many, but because nothing is more relaxing after finals week than sitting around with old friends and remembering good times. These friends and family make the college experience not only bearable, but enjoyable. They inspire the confidence necessary to rise to the challenge. Confidence plays a big part of college life, I would tell myself, so always keep your head held up, know that tomorrow will come whether you get an A or a B on the next test, and the snow is always deeper than it seems.

There are two things that I would have liked to know before I came to NAU. The first one is to bring a fan, Flagstaff is an environment that doesn't need air conditioning but there can be some days where it gets hot! Secondly, I would have liked to know the importance of introducing myself and getting to know my instructors as early as possible. My instructors are knowledgeable and have had prior experience in the fields that I plan on pursuing. Their advice is invaluable during school and their recommendation will be invaluable after school.

I really do not believe that there is any type of person that shouldn't come to NAU. Perhaps a person that abhors the cold, or that prefers a big city. Flagstaff is not a small town, but it very much has a small town feel and a community-driven environment. Otherwise, Flagstaff has an extremely diverse population that does not place judgement on one another; anyone should feel welcome.

I think the biggest advice that I would give to parents and students trying to find the right college is to pick a school that you feel at home at. At NAU, I feel very much at home, and I love spending my time here. To make the most out of your college experience, I would suggest just being involved. Join clubs, a sorority or fraternity, and study groups. These are great ways to meet new friends and will also help you find what your niche is.

I brag most about the weather. I grew up in Phoenix, which is extremely hot year round, and in Flagstaff the weather always seems to be perfect, whether it's raining, snowing, or sunny. I also like studying outside from time to time, just because it's usually so much nice than being in a stuffy room all day. And the elevation and fresh air is also a plus.

I wish I had known to bring a bike! Although I had heard a little bit about transportation on this campus, I didn't know exactly how many people relied on bikes. The campus is actually rather small and extremely bike accessible.

Torrey

I would say this school is best known for its great academic programs. They have many highly respected programs, and students who go through them are usually very successful. I would also say its known for its great location. Flagstaff is gorgeous, all four season occur, the winters are very big in flagstaff, so if you love the snow and snowboarding or skiing this is the perfect place.

Advice I would give to students is to choose the college that fits what they want to do. Not a school in a city that they like, or because its by the beach, or whatever their love for that city may be. Really focus on the school and what it has to offer you. If you just choose a school your friend is going to go or a city you like, you might get there and totally hate it. I would really encourage students to leave their home town and go out of state. It allows you to get away from your parents and learn the responsibility of living on your own, and you will meet so many new people. Check into the school programs as well so you can get involved in the school. Advice for parents I would say help your student and encourage them but do not make the decision for them. College is a wonderful experience if both of you work together to find what is best for your student, and we all know thats what a parent wants most for their son or daughter.

Students who attend this school should be really interested in their studies. They should love the outdoors, because flagstaff is a very small town with not alot of activities to do unless you like the outdoors than there is a lot of fun things you can do. THe campus is very social, events going on all the time, they want to make sure everyone gets involved in the university. The sports are not the greastest but they are still alot of fun to go watch and support. The womens soccer games are very fun to go to.

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.