Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

Holly

hotel and restaurant management

hotel and restaurant management

I would suggest exploring options with a career couselor and attending a community college first. Then after the student has made a decission about their major then transfer to a university that suits them by location and financially.

my GPA from my first degree carried over to my second degree

Danielle

Finding the right college should really be up to the student. I was accepted into the school of my dreams; the school I had been planning on attending for about 5 years. Yes I knew what college I wanted to go to when I was an 8th grader. The problem was how much the school cost. Even though I was 18 and free to make whatever choice I wanted, my family told me I could only attend an in-state school. I was devestated and often question how my life could be right now, but I try not to dwell on it too much. Save money for your child's education and fill out financial aid forms. You should be proud that your child wants to continue their education and do the best you can to reach a compromise. The key here is planning ahead and getting an idea of what you both want, sooner than later.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the availability of on-campus living. There have been times when students were stuck in study rooms while they sorted out a place for them to live. Also, they promote "staying connected" with on-campus living, but yet students have had to find a place off-campus which can be difficult to find. I also didn't like how they built a really nice new dorm and designated it a freshman connections hall. Thankfully it'll be upper classmen next fall.

The best thing about my school is the people. I have made a lot of friends and I can always count on someone to be up to hanging out, studying, and just having fun whenever.

My school is probably best known for its teaching program, which it was originally built for. Some new buildings such as engineering and business are getting more funding from alumni supporters. My school also has a state of the art anthrax lab where research is done. Not surprisingly, graduate, as well as undergraduate, research is suggested for all students at some point in their school careers.

The advice I would give parents and students when searching for colleges would be to not worry about the name of the college but what the college can do for you. It helps if the colleges of interest are researched for their programs, financial aid, and extra-cirricular activities. I find that it is important to determine if there is a developed program in whatever the student is interested in studying. It is more intellectually stimulating to have professors with different viewpoints in order to make a student think. In financial matters, I was personally given an academic scholarship, which tipped my final college choice towards NAU. Especially in difficult economic times, the availability of financial aid in any form helps to offset the rising costs of tuition. Although parents don't want to send their children somewhere to only compete in extra-cirriculars, but they look good on a job application after college and they also help the student cope with the stress of college classes.

When I describe my school to my friends I mention how beautiful the campus is, nestled in the Arizona mountains. The air is so clean walking or biking to class is enjoyable on a sunny day. Although the snowy months are cold, it always looks like a brand new landscape after a fresh snowfall. This also creates the ability to participate in winter sports, like snowboarding, without having to travel far. I probably also brag about the interesting and accepting people I have encountered.

Reis

The advice I would give to parents about finding the right college would have to encirle an open-mindedness curiosity. There are a lot of good colleges out there that offer an abundance of similar activities. The parent should know what there child is looking for and know what they actually want out of college. This knowledge of ones child goes beyond just knowing about them and more along the lines of keeping and open source of communication with their child. Communication between a child and their parent will increase the potential for picking the right college. As for the student, choosing a college is not a very difficult decision once the location is settled it normally comes down to either where your friends are going, what has the best rates, and/or what college fit your academic needs. To make the best of your college experience you have to be open to new things. There are a lot of activities that go on on campus and one must realize this potential is there. College experiences revolve around friends and meeting the right ones will make your college experience flourish with rewarding results.

I wish I had known more about financial aid. Paying for school by ones self is not only hard, but distracting from school at times. When one must worry about the expenses of college it takes away from the precious time that should be devoted to studying and keeping a level mind during rough times at school. None the less I believe that I have academically excelled while having the worries that I do have.

The best aspect of my school relates to my major. I enjoy the amount of posititive interaction between myself and all the members of the Health Science building. Everyone here is very friendly and open to questions, comments and concerns regarding any part of my college life. The professors here are very engaging in class as well as friendly enough to speak with afterwards, but still keep their presence known as being a college professor.

Being so laid back. It's definitely in hippie-ville but people do strive for their academics. The students are not as uptight as if you were to visit an eas coast school.

Visit the school you are interested in. You will never know if a school is right for you if you don't go and actually feel the college atmosphere that is associated with your schools. I know from experience that the way a school looks in the catalog or the website can be totally different then seeing it for yourself.

People who get along well with other and wants to do well in school. It's a small town and an awesome community.

Mica

The old adage ?Know Thyself?, once chiseled above the entrance to the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, applies to the dilemmas of both searching for the ideal college and making the most of your college experience. Students ought to begin the process of searching for potential college choices through introspective thought and discernment of themselves. As deep as this may sound, students should be asking themselves simple questions such as, would I mind living on a small campus or on a large campus, would I mind living in a different climate, and would this university suit my potential undergraduate pursuits? Another factor in deciding which college is ideal for any given student is happiness, and that can only be derived if the student knows, even if at some basic level, what type of environment they will thrive in. The advice of knowing oneself also significantly increases success in the college experience. When you have discerned what type of person you are and can address your strengths and your faults you will better realize what you want for yourself from college. This allows students to productively work towards a promising career for the future while enjoying college in the present.

I would have wished to know that the cold weather during the late fall and early spring semester are very disorienting for people used to warmer climates.

I brag the most about how small Northern Arizona University is and how that lends to the wonderful student-teacher relationships and class sizes.

Kristen

My classmates are kind, caring, intelligent, and fun individuals who strive to become excellent educators.

If you have a general idea of your major or field of interest, research all of the schools that provide a degree within that field and narrow your list down to the schools that best fits your needs. After you have created a list of schools, research the activities, clubs, sports, etc., that you are interested in within each school. It is important that you find a school that has a strong college for your specific major, minor, and/or field of interest, but also one that sponsors activities that you are interested in.

The best thing about my school is the College of Education. This school has the best school of education in the state, and those who wish to become the best teacher they can possibly be tend to choose Northern Arizona University. The faculty is extremely knowledgeable and professional. As a student, I know that I can always seek the advice of one of my professors when in need.

Katlyn

Make sure you schedule college visits and look into as many campuses as possible. You have to feel comfortable in your campus environment in order to be successful all 4 years!!

A highly conservative individual. Someone who doesn't like the cold.

Anna

The advice I would give to future college students is to find a school that works best for all of your needs. Find a school that has the major you want and the financial aid you need to attend the school. Everyone is different in their needs as a student so find the school that can best help you be who you want to be in the future. Choosing the right college is difficult so in order to organize your thoughts, make a checklist of what you think you need from the school or at the school. Then compare the schools you are interested in. Also go and visit the schools, once on campus many people find that they just feel like they belong at that school. To make the most of your college experience, I would advise you to get involved in something that you are passionate about. Also, make friends in college, because those people will be your friends for life.

for me being a student athlete, the most frustrating thing is not have enough time to get extra studying in or have time to meet with professors because of my busy schedule

i would consider the worst part about NAU is the neighborhoods surrounding NAU. It is scary to walk through them, they are also very run down.

Benjamin

Northern Arizona University is there to serve students who want to learn and stay engaged after graduating.

The skydome, the largest wooden dome in North America

I would tell prospective students and their parents that going to community college first is a viable alternative to going straight into a 4 year university. If you aren't sure what you would like to get you're degree in, going to a 4 year university can potentially waste a lot of time and money. Also, it helps to speak to a college counseler before you enroll in classes each semester so that you can make sure you are still on track to graduate in four years. Having a job while in college is also beneficial, if you have the time while going to school, having a job teaches you to manage you're time more wisely as well as teach you financial responsibility. Last but not least, look around for grants and scholarships and fill out a FAFSA, there is money out there for students who want to work for it. It can make the cost of college impact you and you're parents a lot less, saving you money in the long run.

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.