Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

NAU is probably one of the most accepting communities I have ever been in. Although there is probably some judgement going around, most people just do there own thing and not worry about other people. There are many religious and racial groups on campus. There are also LGBT clubs and all these clubs allow anyone to join. No one on campus really judges you by how much money you have either. We're all poor college kids. I don't think any student would feel out of place here, I think there is enough diversity that anyone could find someone to hang out with. I suppose most students wear jeans and t-shirt. It's really relaxed but there are so many different fashions, I love seeing what everyone else is wearing. Different types of students interact all the time, you are put into groups in class with people you don't even know. You get to know people fairly quickly that way. In the dining hall, the tables would probably be divided up by jocks (boys and girls), outdoors types, overachievers, and kids who just don't care. Most students are from Arizona but I've met people from Hawaii, Alaska, Utah, Nevada, and even Greece and China. No one really knows each others financial backgrounds but I would guess middle class. A lot of students are politically aware. Most are democrats and very liberal. Students will be more than willing to voice their opinions. Some students talk about how much they'll earn one day, but it's not an everyday topic, to each their own.

I am a Hispanic woman and I am also a lesbian on the NAU campus. My experience has been incredibly positive. NAU has a large gay community and I am directly involved with the growing visibility of LGBT people on this campus. NAU has recently started the Office of LGBTQA Resources and Support, in which I work. Most of the NAU population has been supportive and our programs have been well received. Most students feel comfortable at NAU. The typical dress is sweaters and jackets as a majority of the academic year is cold, with snow falling between November and April. The summers in Flagstaff are beautiful, allowing for lots of outdoor activities and the wearing of shorts. Flagstaff in general is very pretty, with the San Francisco peaks always visible. The majority of students at NAU come from middle class families, a few of which are on the upper-scale of middle class. Most students are from the Phoenix area and we also have a large number of people from southern California. The students I interact with are mostly graduate students who expect to earn more solely because they will be paid at the masters-level for whatever career they enter.

There are a variety of students here at NAU. For the most part you can see students wearing jeans and sweatshirts. During winter, uggs are a popular choice among girls. This campus tends to have students who are involved politically and in the community. We've had everything from the genocide awareness project (a pro-life movement) come to campus to save the peaks rallies. For the most part, our campus is fairly Liberal. We've had political figures like Van Jones come and speak to our campus. A number of departments have also supported talks about different political issues, such as Race and the Tea Party (about how the Tea Party is racist). Our campus is very tolerant of different religious and ethnic backgrounds. There is a huge movement on campus for LBGTQ students to receive more benefits. Most of the students, however, are white so different ethnicities are hard to find.

The students at NAU are very friendly. There are a wide variety of people at NAU and I believe everyone has someone to call a friend. I find myself always surrounded by nice people who truly care about others. Students tend to be fairly active in the political world around campus. Some maybe a little too involved. Students are willing to learn and on their toes. Many type of people attend NAU but I believe that everyone has a spot in the school!

My classmates are extremely friendly. I have never had a negative encounter in a class on campus. In some classes we are organized into groups where we have to compete assignments together. I am fortunate to be in a group where every individual participates equally. Lastly I feel my classmates support me, if I have a concept in class I can't seem to grasp, my classmates won't hesitate to further explain the solution to my confusion.

Most of the students are really friendly, and they come from all over the place. I noticed there are a lot of people from California and Hawaii. Many students here are very active. The fraternities and sororities are not as popular here than they are on other big campuses, but even the people who are involved in them, don't make that an excuse for them to be better than everyone else like the stereotyp implies. I love it!

The majority of my classmates are unknown to me. I take mostly online classes so my classmates can be from anywhere in the world and any age. I currently have a female classmate in my Spanish class that is located in Paris. It is hard to get to know them, when you don't have a face to put to the name. Most of the classmates are there to work and we don't get to bond like in a regular classroom setting.

They are all very nice and accepting of where you come from and where you've been. There is not one person on campus who will not say hi to you and if you look confused or are in need of help they are very helpful. You form a lot of friendships while your here especially with people in your degree program and with those who are not in them. You'd definetly love it here especially when it snows.

My fellow students at NAU take pride in their environmentally friendly campus, beautiful surroundings and are open minded, progressive, and agressively friendly people with the objective of attaining a higher education as their main priority and having fun as their pastime while being committed to actively participating in their community.

My classmates are extremely friendly. Generally, people are very welcoming and open to study sessions and group work. It is also very easy to make friends in classroom settings. People are also very studious when they have to be, which makes it easier to encourage yourself to work harder.