Northern Arizona University Top Questions

Whitney

Kind, funny, and attractive.

Sydnie Marie

My classmates are all very tentative and interested in what is going to happen next in class.

Charles

A vast mix of different students. Some students that smoke, most that don't. Some students that do drugs, most that don't. Most students drink, some that don't. Socially polite for the most part. Decently clean over-all in the school.

Marissa

I haven't started school yet so I'm not sure how they are.

raul

My classmates look like they care for the well being of others.

Georgia

My classmates are friendly, talkative, and engaged.

Brandi

My classmates are extremely friendly. I have never had a negative encounter in a class on campus. In some classes we are organized into groups where we have to compete assignments together. I am fortunate to be in a group where every individual participates equally. Lastly I feel my classmates support me, if I have a concept in class I can't seem to grasp, my classmates won't hesitate to further explain the solution to my confusion.

Hillary

My calssmates are very friendly and open-minded. There is very minimal judgement from peers here.

Ethan

They enjoy engaging in stimulating conversations that pertain to their field of interest.

Hailey

My classmates are very friendly and willing to work together outside of class. I haven't ever had a class with someone who was rude or wasn't willing to help out other students in our class.

Tracey

My classmates are very unique, all have different styles, and personalities and most of them are from Arizona. I can honestly say that I enjoy every one of them and wish them the best of their future.

Franco

The student body at this school is very diverse and slightly liberal leaning. Students rights and very important and there are many different groups on campus.

Kevin

The school is diverse but everyone is treated equally. Students would not feel out of place at this school. Most students wear casual clothing to class. The students all interact with each other. In the dining hall, there are students who skate, studying for exams, international students, and sports teams. Most of the students are from Arizona. Families making average amount of salary are most prevalent. The students are mostly politically aware. Students sometimes talk about their earnings in casual conversations.

Vanessa

I am a Hispanic woman and I am also a lesbian on the NAU campus. My experience has been incredibly positive. NAU has a large gay community and I am directly involved with the growing visibility of LGBT people on this campus. NAU has recently started the Office of LGBTQA Resources and Support, in which I work. Most of the NAU population has been supportive and our programs have been well received. Most students feel comfortable at NAU. The typical dress is sweaters and jackets as a majority of the academic year is cold, with snow falling between November and April. The summers in Flagstaff are beautiful, allowing for lots of outdoor activities and the wearing of shorts. Flagstaff in general is very pretty, with the San Francisco peaks always visible. The majority of students at NAU come from middle class families, a few of which are on the upper-scale of middle class. Most students are from the Phoenix area and we also have a large number of people from southern California. The students I interact with are mostly graduate students who expect to earn more solely because they will be paid at the masters-level for whatever career they enter.

Vanessa

Madison

Most of the students are really friendly, and they come from all over the place. I noticed there are a lot of people from California and Hawaii. Many students here are very active. The fraternities and sororities are not as popular here than they are on other big campuses, but even the people who are involved in them, don't make that an excuse for them to be better than everyone else like the stereotyp implies. I love it!

Kylie

NAU is probably one of the most accepting communities I have ever been in. Although there is probably some judgement going around, most people just do there own thing and not worry about other people. There are many religious and racial groups on campus. There are also LGBT clubs and all these clubs allow anyone to join. No one on campus really judges you by how much money you have either. We're all poor college kids. I don't think any student would feel out of place here, I think there is enough diversity that anyone could find someone to hang out with. I suppose most students wear jeans and t-shirt. It's really relaxed but there are so many different fashions, I love seeing what everyone else is wearing. Different types of students interact all the time, you are put into groups in class with people you don't even know. You get to know people fairly quickly that way. In the dining hall, the tables would probably be divided up by jocks (boys and girls), outdoors types, overachievers, and kids who just don't care. Most students are from Arizona but I've met people from Hawaii, Alaska, Utah, Nevada, and even Greece and China. No one really knows each others financial backgrounds but I would guess middle class. A lot of students are politically aware. Most are democrats and very liberal. Students will be more than willing to voice their opinions. Some students talk about how much they'll earn one day, but it's not an everyday topic, to each their own.

Kylie

Vincent

I'd say that overall the students here are really friendly and accepting of just about anyone. A lot of the kids that I've talked to seem really open minded and even those that are pretty set on what they believe in are willing to hear other opinions. You could probably say that campus has a fairly liberal feel to it, but there are certainly a number of more conservative opinions and overall it seems to be closer to neutral than either extreme. I feel like the student body is pretty diverse and the fact that there aren't as many kids on campus makes it easier to connect with others on a more personal level.

Vincent

Helpful

William

Students attending NAU provide a diverse range of students. Many are good natured and interested in what they are learning or doing in their classes. A student who would feel out of place in NAU would be one who camps out in their dorm room leaving only for classes and food, or someone who is not from Arizona as the majority of the students reside in state. This isn't an issue for out of state students though, as there is a mentor program where they get matched with an older student who is also from out of state and can help them adjust and meet other students in the same boat. NAU being in Flagstaff it does get cold during the winter, most people will wear jeans ,sweats or something similar with a t shirt and jacket of some sort. With really cold days students bring out hiking boots and snow jackets to make it to class. Most students will interact through a classroom setting or through group projects assigned by the professor. As with any university the student population is more towards the left, but many I feel are centrist leaning towards the left.

William

Kathleen

The students at NAU are very friendly. There are a wide variety of people at NAU and I believe everyone has someone to call a friend. I find myself always surrounded by nice people who truly care about others. Students tend to be fairly active in the political world around campus. Some maybe a little too involved. Students are willing to learn and on their toes. Many type of people attend NAU but I believe that everyone has a spot in the school!

There are a lot of different types of students: Native American, black, white, Hispanic, LGBT, lower class, middle, upper, stoners, hippies, snobs, etc. Most students wear jeans and a shirt to class.

Jenna

I would say that there's a lot of various types of people at NAU. Everyone can find a place to fit in regardless of how introverted or extroverted they are.

There are a variety of students here at NAU. For the most part you can see students wearing jeans and sweatshirts. During winter, uggs are a popular choice among girls. This campus tends to have students who are involved politically and in the community. We've had everything from the genocide awareness project (a pro-life movement) come to campus to save the peaks rallies. For the most part, our campus is fairly Liberal. We've had political figures like Van Jones come and speak to our campus. A number of departments have also supported talks about different political issues, such as Race and the Tea Party (about how the Tea Party is racist). Our campus is very tolerant of different religious and ethnic backgrounds. There is a huge movement on campus for LBGTQ students to receive more benefits. Most of the students, however, are white so different ethnicities are hard to find.

Dakota

My fellow students at NAU take pride in their environmentally friendly campus, beautiful surroundings and are open minded, progressive, and agressively friendly people with the objective of attaining a higher education as their main priority and having fun as their pastime while being committed to actively participating in their community.

Nathan

The scale of diversity detailing NAU students is tremendous and would be near impossible detailing the different cultural styles.

Natasha

Bright, willing to learn, and interactive.

Kelly

My classmates are extremely friendly. Generally, people are very welcoming and open to study sessions and group work. It is also very easy to make friends in classroom settings. People are also very studious when they have to be, which makes it easier to encourage yourself to work harder.

We all want to help each other out, because we're all in the same boat!

colleen

My classmates are fun, social, and enthusiastic about their school work as well as school activities.

Trevor

My classmates are generally nice and interested in learning.

Tarah

There is so much diversity here at NAU, each person is unique and expresses themselves freely.

Andres

Most of my classmates are of different backgrounds as me.

Maeghan

In one sentence, my classmates are very unique people; of course you have your friendly people and your not so friendly people, but all in all the students up here are either here for the studying. . . or here for the partying.

Bailey

Everyone is from a different background, so describing them would be like describing the United States - everyone is different in their own right.

Kelsey

My classmates are very intelligent students who are very active in learning about their surroundings and busy planning for their future careers.

Diverse, friendly, and warm, would be the best words to describe my classmates.

Erika

My classmates at NAU , for the most part, are intelligent, spontaneous people who can make me feel really great about myself almost all the time; in short, my classmates are my family.

Alejandro

very attminated by they way i look, and sound. They judge a person before they get to now them

Brianna

The majority of my classmates are unknown to me. I take mostly online classes so my classmates can be from anywhere in the world and any age. I currently have a female classmate in my Spanish class that is located in Paris. It is hard to get to know them, when you don't have a face to put to the name. Most of the classmates are there to work and we don't get to bond like in a regular classroom setting.

Ellen

My classmates have always been very nice to me, opening doors, sharing notes, forming study groups, and helping in any way they can. We are all in the same position and want to do the best we can.

Mandi

A multitude of colorful people all looking for their own piece of mind.

Tamika

My classmates are strong minded, willing to help eachother in any way they can, artistic, smart, athletic, talented and they are always just themselves.

Bridgette

Great people from all walks of life, its amazing to meet such diverse people.

Nathan

I have many class mate, and many that I dont even talk to. Some of my old grade school friends have enrolled in Northern Arizona University and taking some classes with me. This is the only time I talk to any classmates.

Stacie

They're friendly and willing to form study groups.

Bethany

My classmates are diverse in personalities and interesting.