Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

When I first started college, I called my parents a lot and slowly I got weighed down with friend and homework - naturally - so I stopped calling as much. Keep in mind, even if you don't want to call home everyday, they may call you everyday and it's something you might just have to deal with. Parents aren't the best at letting their babies go off to college so they want to know what's going on. If you want to phone home, do it! If you don't want to? Don't. It's really how you feel because honestly, at first you may really miss your family or you may not it really just depends on how you adjust to the changes of moving away from home. Never feel embarrassed if you want to give mom or dad a quick call :)

It is all up to you. Generally, I phone home once a week or so. My parents are usually the ones who call me and it is throughout the week about small things, but for a long phone conversation to catch up with them, I will call them once a week, maybe even every two weeks. Once a day is definitely too much in my opinion. College is a time for a student to grow up and mature, they do not need their parents constantly calling them and checking up on them. Checking up occasionally is fine but not every day and especially not multiple times a day.

I personally phone home once a day just so my family is not worried, but it is ok to phone home 3 times a week.